Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trade for Mirotic

Trade for Mirotic

Ryno 2.0, our 1st and Asik in exchange. Helps now, great shooter. Replaces Cunninghams minutes and then some, giving AD and Boogie another 3 mins rest per game easily.

That's another direction I wouldn't be opposed to. Mirotic or Lopez. Either one would be a big help.

They probably would want more if we trade them Asik.

I was thinking grab Mirotic and Justin Holiday? Neither are in their future plans and we could use both for depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still a big fan of Lopez, imagine if we could trade out Asik for him and give Boogie some decent rest. He'd be even more unstoppable

Ironic thing is Dell pretty much gave up Lopez for free then traded for bum ****** Asik 4 years ago

I'm not opposed TBH.

This team has to make some sort of move to add depth and/or a key role player or I fear we are gonna to sputter to the finish line this season and get wiped out in the playoffs....Or worse with the miles we are putting on AD and Cousins.

I doubt we have the assets to snag Kemba or George Hill, I still would love to make a run at Demarre Carroll, but Mirotic fills a hole at back up big as well. And does so in a way that compliments both of our bigs. Allowing either AD or Cousins the ability to play to their strengths inside while Mirotic and our shooters space the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I'm not opposed TBH.

This team has to make some sort of move to add depth and/or a key role player or I fear we are gonna to sputter to the finish line this season and get wiped out in the playoffs....Or worse with the miles we are putting on AD and Cousins.

I doubt we have the assets to snag Kemba or George Hill, I still would love to make a run at Demarre Carroll, but Mirotic fills a hole at back up big as well. And does so in a way that compliments both of our bigs. Allowing either AD or Cousins the ability to play to their strengths inside while Mirotic and our shooters space the floor.
    I'll take Lopez over Mirotic.

Which ever one of AD or Boogie is on court can play high post and have Lopez down low, I think that's really good for
    balance

I understand the argument for Mirotic too tho, but he's much more perimeter oriented than Lopez is

I'm not opposed TBH.

Is there really a point to going after Carroll anymore? By all indications, it seems Hill is close to returning to action.

Going after a trade package from the Bulls or Hawks would seem like a much better use of a first round pick, assuming we can't get a player like Kemba.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

He seems to have really liked Rondo

But he also credited his improvement in dealing with things to “the best teammate I’ve ever had.’’ And he’s not on this season’s roster.

Mirotic had the chance to get reacquainted with Pelicans point guard Rajon Rondo and stressed how important he was during their season together.

“I hate Rondo, seriously I do because he’s such a good guy, such a good professional, does everything so right,’’ Mirotic said, somewhat jokingly. “No, but seriously he is the best teammate I ever had. It’s just who he is."
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...oming-his-way/

Rondo does everything so right? M'kay

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Do It Bigger!

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

Which ever one of AD or Boogie is on court can play high post and have Lopez down low, I think that's really good for
    balance

I understand the argument for Mirotic too tho, but he's much more perimeter oriented than Lopez is
    In a vacuum I would take either, and I get your point, though probably slightly side with Mirotic for salary purposes still. But the way I see it, this is Gentry, Lopez will have more DNP's than minutes if we traded for him I feel like, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Is there really a point to going after Carroll anymore? By all indications, it seems Hill is close to returning to action.

Going after a trade package from the Bulls or Hawks would seem like a much better use of a first round pick, assuming we can't get a player like Kemba.
    A lot of people feel differently, but the spacing with Rondo, Jrue, and Hill really, really worries me.

If we dump Rondo to the bench I'm less concerned, but me personally, Hill's lack of spacing is really problematic for me. I hope others are right and I'm wrong though.

Honestly just wish we could get a chance to find out before the trade deadline. But that seems unlikely.

Mirotic and Justin Holiday would definitely help with depth, but I think we really need a paint-penetrating PG playmaker type. Even
    With Jrue being better at PG lately, still need another guy who can break down a defender of the dribble and score or pass to an open guy. A player like Grant could help with that.

A lot of people feel differently, but the spacing with Rondo, Jrue, and Hill really, really worries me.

If we dump Rondo to the bench I'm less concerned, but me personally, Hill's lack of spacing is really problematic for me. I hope others are right and I'm wrong though.

Honestly just wish we could get a chance to find out before the trade deadline. But that seems unlikely.
    That's fair, but I would rather not pay 2/30m to find out when we could simultaneously address multiple areas of need using more team friendly contracts (like Holiday and Mirotic or Beli and Dedmon).

Either way, the trade deadline should be interesting this year. I don't expect us to sit around idle. This season is too important to do that.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-23-2018 at 01:46 AM.

That's fair, but I would rather not pay 2/30m to find out when we could simultaneously address multiple areas of need using more team friendly contracts (like Holiday and Mirotic or Beli and Dedmon).

Either way, the trade deadline should be interesting this year. I don't expect us to sit around idle. This season is too important to do that.
    Yes, I want some team friendly contracts bc we are going to have to pay Boogie big for him to stay and Justin Holiday/ Jerian Grant and Mirotic or Demond and Benelli does not kill our cap next year when we need to pay him. Though we will need to get rid of Asik and AA before next year anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance of Ajinca medically retiring?

Actually his 5 million expiring next year could be quite the asset

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I wouldn't be opposed, but where would he play? He's great, but he would have to play at the 3 where he isn't a wing. Doubt he would want to come off the bench either.

We have one of the hottest offenses in the league. We have one of the worst defenses in the league

Let's trade for Ryno 2.0 so that we may have THE BEST offense in the league........and the worst defense.

Hill's spacing will not concern me. Offense does not concern me. Give me some defense! But that IS my concern with Hill. will the rust be off for him to lock it down postseason?
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I just wants some depth players so If we have to pull AD, Boogie, and Jrue out for a time the other team does not go on a 20+ point run then we have to climb out of a hole or put our big 3 back in early. I think we are not far from being really good with some more depth.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    We have one of the hottest offenses in the league. We have one of the worst defenses in the league

Let's trade for Ryno 2.0 so that we may have THE BEST offense in the league........and the worst defense.

Hill's spacing will not concern me. Offense does not concern me. Give me some defense! But that IS my concern with Hill. will the rust be off for him to lock it down postseason?

The greatest defensive boost this team could make, unfortunately, is drastically reducing the minutes of Rondo and Nelson.

People shouldn’t be discounting spacing though. Teams are already double and triple teaming Davis and Cousins because Rondo is on the floor. Putting us in a situation, like in the third quarter, where we are giving up enormous amounts of points. Rondo is going to continue to be a siev, and while Hill will undoubtedly be better than Moore, the offense will undoubtedly take a step back. Hill will have to be all defensive team, prime Tony Allen, to close that gap, and I don’t think that will happen.

More ideally, if you want Hill on the floor, you go back to starting Jrue. Than the team can run what was the best Davis/Cousins lineup post Cousins last season: Jrue, Moore, Hill, Davis, Cousins. Let Rondo come in with Miller and than eventually let Miller have time with the new Rondo-less starting unit, as that has been the best unit with Hill down. Fill in the gaps with our other rotation players

I think the idea for trading for a big is to rest AD and Cousins so they can have more energy on both ends of the floor.

Also if we move Rondo to the bench then we will need a bit of scoring punch with the backups.

But really, we need a 3rd big that can regularly rest AD and Cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I think the idea for trading for a big is to rest AD and Cousins so they can have more energy on both ends of the floor.

Also if we move Rondo to the bench then we will need a bit of scoring punch with the backups.

But really, we need a 3rd big that can regularly rest AD and Cousins.
    I kind of agree with something MM said. Finding a 3rd big is more important for the regular season than the playoffs. And finding a scoring guard is more important than finding a 3rd big because the 3rd guard will likely be a part of the playoff rotation. The 3rd big won't. So if we could get both, great. That's ideal. But if we can't, I would prioritize the 3rd guard.

I kind of agree with something MM said. Finding a 3rd big is more important for the regular season than the playoffs. And finding a scoring guard is more important than finding a 3rd big because the 3rd guard will likely be a part of the playoff rotation. The 3rd big won't. So if we could get both, great. That's ideal. But if we can't, I would prioritize the 3rd guard.
    The only way AD and Cousins will be able to have enough energy during the playoffs is if they don't have to play 40 minutes a game during the regular season.

I would be happy with a 3rd guard as well. Some of the benefit of Hill is his ability to defend 1-4 so we could even use him at SG sometimes. Still, Kemba would be nice.

I honestly think that unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, a lot of our issues will probably have to wait til the offseason. The more I realistically look at the landscape, I am unsure what play the Pels can make other than dumping their first for probably a fairly marginal player that we might regret taking up cap space down the road. And I'm not sure the organization values someone like Mirotic the way we may. Or if that is the best long-term use of our first rounder?

And that will also be where a lot more opportunities will arise. The offseason that is.

Since you have your draft picks, our bad contracts like Asik and Ajinca suddenly become expirings, and all this movement is posed to happen, opening up opportunities for players like these, or players that come available in multi-team trades to make larger trades work:

- Cavs are at the finish line to trade for George Hill, but if anyone watches that team and the dysfunction and the parallels to his last year in Miami, Lebron is gone.

- Which means players like the soon-to-be-Cav George Hill, Kevin Love, along with Jae Crowder, will be up for grabs for assets when the Cavs go into rebuild mode around the Brooklyn pick. Moving Hill will be hard for them, Crowder will be exceptionally easy. To the point they may not want to move him, but he would be a prize for what will be a non-lottery first rounder.

- Good chance Mike Conley will be up for grabs as well. Assuming his health, he would be the perfect point guard for this team.

- After the revelation of Damian Lillard's unease and meeting with Paul Allen, there is the possibility that roster gets shaken up if things continue to disappoint.

- You have the reports of the growing rift between Kawhi Leonard and the Spurs, which could prompt some interesting developments.

- Given what MJ just said, seems like Kemba will not be moved by the deadline, and it may take some time for him to realize he isn't getting an allstar back in that trade and shedding bad salary. So that dynamic is certainly in play

It would probably make people that shudder at giving up more draft picks, because it will take at least one more first rounder to be a part of any of the opportunities that will open up from that chaos, but its the sort of realistic scenario you could imagine the Pels getting involved in. Then you use the MLE or part of it to fill out the roster with a back up big and usable depth. Since that market is actually pretty strong with veteran and young upside bigs that shouldn't command a big salary.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-23-2018 at 04:03 PM.

I honestly think that unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, a lot of our issues will probably have to wait til the offseason. The more I realistically look at the landscape, I am unsure what play the Pels can make other than dumping their first for probably a fairly marginal player that we might regret taking up cap space down the road. And I'm not sure the organization values someone like Mirotic the way we may. Or if that is the best long-term use of our first rounder?

And that will also be where a lot more opportunities will arise. The offseason that is.

Since you have your draft picks, our bad contracts like Asik and Ajinca suddenly become expirings, and all this movement is posed to happen, opening up opportunities for players like these, or players that come available in multi-team trades to make larger trades work:

- Cavs are at the finish line to trade for George Hill, but if anyone watches that team and the dysfunction and the parallels to his last year in Miami, Lebron is gone.

- Which means players like the soon-to-be-Cav George Hill, Kevin Love, along with Jae Crowder, will be up for grabs for assets when the Cavs go into rebuild mode around the Brooklyn pick. Moving Hill will be hard for them, Crowder will be exceptionally easy. To the point they may not want to move him, but he would be a prize for what will be a non-lottery first rounder.

- Good chance Mike Conley will be up for grabs as well. Assuming his health, he would be the perfect point guard for this team.

- After the revelation of Damian Lillard's unease and meeting with Paul Allen, there is the possibility that roster gets shaken up if things continue to disappoint.

- You have the reports of the growing rift between Kawhi Leonard and the Spurs, which could prompt some interesting developments.

- Given what MJ just said, seems like Kemba will not be moved by the deadline, and it may take some time for him to realize he isn't getting an allstar back in that trade and shedding bad salary. So that dynamic is certainly in play

It would probably make people that shudder at giving up more draft picks, because it will take at least one more first rounder to be a part of any of the opportunities that will open up from that chaos, but its the sort of realistic scenario you could imagine the Pels getting involved in. Then you use the MLE or part of it to fill out the roster with a back up big and usable depth. Since that market is actually pretty strong with veteran and young upside bigs that shouldn't command a big salary.
    Lol adding Conley's 30 mil to Davis 25, Jrue 25 and Boogie 30 is 110 mil, smashing us well into luxury tax.

Thread Information