Pelicans Report

Thread: kidd fired by the bucks

kidd fired by the bucks

marc jackson, jason kidd both nice replacements for Gentry.

its ganna bee ahhhkay

maybe get the logo in to be GM

Man, couldn't happen to a better person. I can't stand Kidd.

Pass on both of them.

Mark Jackson is an above average coach with a history and no remorse for his behind the scenes antics that damaged the Warriors organization. An organization that has proven itself to be the best decision-making front office in the game. If they find the guy cancerous, I am not sure why we think he would be better in this organization?

Jason Kidd is a guy that arguably has under-achieved with one of the best young rosters in the league and doesn't really bring anything of note to the table besides point guard development. He probably could do well spending some time as an assistant to round out his coaching pedigree.

i like marc jackson and i think he would be a fit. kidd is just interesting to me.

The Bucks get it. Under perform, show the coach the door.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Whoa. Didn't see that coming.
    RIP FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post

I hope Monty gets it. He's probably one of the best human beings alive right now. He deserves another shot.

i like monty a lot too. just a really awesome guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post

That seems like a pretty lateral move, if not a probable miscast. Unless Monty has rebuilt his entire philosophy, a mostly veteran-less youth orientated team, without a classic big man, or a classic point guard, that's star thrives in attacking unset defenses, while ad-libbing in transition, is not really Monty's strongest suit.

Monty seems like the type tailor made for a place like a healthy Memphis. A half court orientated veteran roster with a classic big man and a classic point guard(when Conley is healthy).

I like the guy, but I think the Bucks would be one of the odder landing spots for Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    That seems like a pretty lateral move, if not a probable miscast. Unless Monty has rebuilt his entire philosophy, a mostly veteran-less youth orientated team, without a classic big man, or a classic point guard, that's star thrives in attacking unset defenses, while ad-libbing in transition, is not really Monty's strongest suit.

Monty seems like the type tailor made for a place like a healthy Memphis. A half court orientated veteran roster with a classic big man and a classic point guard(when Conley is healthy).

I like the guy, but I think the Bucks would be one of the odder landing spots for Monty.
    I don't disagree with this. But I'm sure he has picked Pops brain while he's been there and probably has an idea on how to change his style to work in the current NBA.

He will have that Bucks defense rolling, they have the length and the energy to make his defensive philosophy going.

Monty is the guy that you bring in if you need to develop young raw talent. That is his one trick, player development. He would do well with Diallo and Jackson, but he wouldn't get much more out of Boogie and AD. What you need after Monty is a coach that can take you to that next level. That isn't Gentry. Gentry is the Norv Turner of the NBA, and he wont get our guys much farther than they already are. We need someone more than Monty, but someone better than Gentry, or someone that would make Gentry their assistant.

Jason Kidd is none of the above.

Even if Jason Kidd was a lock stock and barrel perfect fit coach for us, I'd still be heavily skeptical of hiring him mainly because of the fact that he's a terrible human being.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I don't disagree with this. But I'm sure he has picked Pops brain while he's been there and probably has an idea on how to change his style to work in the current NBA.

He will have that Bucks defense rolling, they have the length and the energy to make his defensive philosophy going.
    Will he though? I guess I'm a bit more skeptical on both fronts. Though I am by no means saying my opinion is infallible. I'm assuming same as anyone else.

But my point would be, even for his time, many considered Monty too old-fashioned and stuck in his ways. Monty prefers to have a very specific type of personnel and run a very specific type of defensive system. He wants to have that three prong chain of a defense, a strong, high IQ, defensive point guard at the top(which he kind of has) a high IQ and tenacious defender on the wing(kind of has that in raw form, but Giannis is still lacking in the defensive IQ department) and most importantly, a classic big man that can swallow up the paint and anchor the scheme. Which they absolutely do not have. Altogether he runs an incredibly complex scheme, that took the Pelicans up until the last half of his tenure to finally get comfortable with(even then monty would joke he hadn't opened up the whole defensive playbook yet). Which would be brought to an even less defensively developed roster without the requisite personnel.

Even then, the best Monty got out of any roster he had was 10th in the league in Chris Paul's final season in 2011, a team that had all his pieces and lots of veteran presence. And the game has changed a lot since then.

Monty came from Pop and didn't seem to be aligned with a lot of his philosophy at the time, it's always possible he has changed a lot, but Monty always seemed fairly strong in his convictions, in all facets of life, and not really the type that methodically tears down his belief structures to rebuild them back up. So thats why I'm skeptical of him taking on rosters that aren't already in his wheelhouse.

Few coaches seem to tear down their philosophies and build them back up in the NBA TBH. Which is probably why so many old-timers have struggled to adapt and sound like old curmudgeons on the outside looking in, angry that the game isn't played the way they wish it was when they were in their prime. A select few like Pop seem to be able transition above that, I am not so sure I have seen evidence Monty is that type. I get much more of a Byron Scott type of stubbornness than a Popovich that seems to be comfortable with applying principles of Cartesian Doubt to his philosophies regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Monty is the guy that you bring in if you need to develop young raw talent. That is his one trick, player development. He would do well with Diallo and Jackson, but he wouldn't get much more out of Boogie and AD. What you need after Monty is a coach that can take you to that next level. That isn't Gentry. Gentry is the Norv Turner of the NBA, and he wont get our guys much farther than they already are. We need someone more than Monty, but someone better than Gentry, or someone that would make Gentry their assistant.

Jason Kidd is none of the above.
    I think the problem I am having, is that the Pels are just in a really precarious position because of AD and Cousins.

They both seemingly like Gentry. Cousins and Davis are both quoted as using Gentry as a promotional tool for free agents over the summer because of how much everyone enjoys his systems. The team is on pace to make the playoffs for the first time in Cousin's career, only the second time in Davis's. Both putting up hall of fame numbers.

You are risking quite a lot firing the coach of a playoff roster after both AD and Cousins have rightfully grown jaded at organization's firing liked coaches while their team's continue to struggle. Unless you are down with him walking, I would suspect a mid-season coaching change, or an offseason coaching change without consent, would prompt Cousins to seriously consider exiting. Leaving the franchise with nothing, and throwing into over-drive AD's wandering eye.

apparently kidd pissed off giannis

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    apparently kidd pissed off giannis
    Giannis supposedly offered to go to management to help save Kidd's job.

I think the correct narrative as we know it is that Kidd's firing pissed off Giannis.

Thread Information