Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: kemba walker available

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Honestly, our best bet would maybe be the offseason as I continue to think about it.

TBH, I don't think Kemba and a Hornets role-player pushes the Cavs over the edge against the Warriors, and I suspect, short of a hard fought 7 game series Lebron thinks he can win next year, or an actual championship, LeBron is gone.

Then is when you start talking about maybe a scenario where you give up a first for a rebuilding Cavs team that likely has little reason to keep Walker, who would be expiring, knowing he will command a large payday. That would also be the season Ajinca and Asik become expirings. Making them more easy to move.

Somewhere the Pels are going to need to bring in a long-term answer at point guard though.
    Yeah, somebody needs to get punched in the junk for this stuff. I was looking at the Pels 2018-2019 Salary cap, Boogie isn't under contract, but Ajinca and Asik are for a combined $16.5mil. We will be able to resign Boogie, but his contract will bring us up to about $111 million (give or take a couple million). Man, to have that $16.5 mil not on the books, and to have Solomon Hill and his $12.75m off the books as well. Jeez luis this contract mess is like a milestone around our neck.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Absolutely sell the house for him. Give them anything they want outside of AD and Cousins.

3 1st round picks? Done. Diallo and Jackson? Done.

Moore? Make it happen.

Still, we probably would get out bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Absolutely sell the house for him. Give them anything they want outside of AD and Cousins.

3 1st round picks? Done. Diallo and Jackson? Done.

Moore? Make it happen.

Still, we probably would get out bid.
    That's how I feel about the situation. I would go above and beyond to get him, but our ability to do so is limited by our lack of assets. It all comes down to how much other teams are offering for his services. Not only is he on a multiyear contract, but his salary is an absolute bargain at 12m per year. Given his contract alone, I would expect him to cost a heavy amount of assets. More than we can likely afford.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-19-2018 at 02:57 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Knicks, 76ers, Suns, Pacers, Magic, Nuggets, and Pelicans.

Am I missing another team that might be interested in giving up significant assets to make a deal? The Pelicans aren't going to be bidding against every team in the league. Tom Benson is an old man. At 80+, you're all in whether you want to be or not. Why would he care about the luxury tax? He can't take it with him and his heirs don't deserve it. It's easy to sell this as a two year shot to really contend. If it doesn't happen, you break it up before you have to give Kemba the max deal.

Once you convince the old man, you start stacking your chips until it gets Charlotte's attention. And by chips I mean unprotected lottery picks. Kemba is great, but he's not a Kyrie level star. He's somewhere ahead of Bledsoe, but below Kyrie. I think two 1st rounders would be on the leader board if Charlotte is comparing offers.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

Am I missing another team that might be interested in giving up significant assets to make a deal? The Pelicans aren't going to be bidding against every team in the league. Tom Benson is an old man. At 80+, you're all in whether you want to be or not. Why would he care about the luxury tax? He can't take it with him and his heirs don't deserve it. It's easy to sell this as a two year shot to really contend. If it doesn't happen, you break it up before you have to give Kemba the max deal.

Once you convince the old man, you start stacking your chips until it gets Charlotte's attention. And by chips I mean unprotected lottery picks. Kemba is great, but he's not a Kyrie level star. He's somewhere ahead of Bledsoe, but below Kyrie. I think two 1st rounders would be on the leader board if Charlotte is comparing offers.
    The Cavs. And if all of those teams are seriously interested, I am not sure we can outbid any of them unless we become the next Nets and throw the house at them.

I honestly think the best path to ever getting Kemba is hoping he signs with the Cavs. They lose to Boston in the playoffs. Lebron bolts, the Cavs start looking to get something for Kemba knowing they aren't going anywhere with Kemba and he isn't resigning. So maybe you can then throw a first and the now expiring of Asik or Ajinca. Resign Cousins over the cap and have a Walker, Jrue, Hill, Davis, Cousins lineup. I think that is good for a top 5 seed and you can fill out the roster with win now-vets like we have.

The Cavs. And if all of those teams are seriously interested, I am not sure we can outbid any of them unless we become the next Nets and throw the house at them.

I honestly think the best path to ever getting Kemba is hoping he signs with the Cavs. They lose to Boston in the playoffs. Lebron bolts, the Cavs start looking to get something for Kemba knowing they aren't going anywhere with Kemba and he isn't resigning. So maybe you can then throw a first and the now expiring of Asik or Ajinca. Resign Cousins over the cap and have a Walker, Jrue, Hill, Davis, Cousins lineup. I think that is good for a top 5 seed and you can fill out the roster with win now-vets like we have.
    I don't see why people think the Cavs would be in the market for Kemba when they have Thomas. It's been a couple of weeks! You have to give Thomas a chance to play himself back into shape and back to 100%. He was an MVP candidate and a killer last year.

IF the Pelicans offered up multiple 1st, and were able to get Kemba, they'd be adding him to a core that is a dramatically different animal than what the Nets were when they gave up their future for an over the hill KG and Paul Pierce. Just trading the picks doesn't make you the Nets.

I don't see why people think the Cavs would be in the market for Kemba when they have Thomas. It's been a couple of weeks! You have to give Thomas a chance to play himself back into shape and back to 100%. He was an MVP candidate and a killer last year.

IF the Pelicans offered up multiple 1st, and were able to get Kemba, they'd be adding him to a core that is a dramatically different animal than what the Nets were when they gave up their future for an over the hill KG and Paul Pierce. Just trading the picks doesn't make you the Nets.

I think it is pretty clear the Cavs are not content with IT.

The Nets thing was referring to the willingness to part with numerous unprotected first rounders, that was all. Though based on early speculation, I'm not sure the asking price will get that high.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Didn't we sign Mike James? Has he played a minute yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Didn't we sign Mike James? Has he played a minute yet?
    I don’t believe he has.
    RIP FlyGirl

The Franchise
    I’d love to get MKG and Walker and I think 2 first and a second could work. Maybe Chicago gets in on it since they have lots of cap space but they’d get one of the firsts or a first and second.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8vpnqrr

I don’t know when we could trade Nelson but hornets were interested when we signed him so swap Clark for Nelson.

My hope for a big trade like this is that we finish really strong and everyone takes less money to stay together. Next year we’d prob have to find a way to move hill and fill the squad with players wanting to win a championship. Next year we build off of this,
    Kemba
    Jrue, Justin
    MKG, Miller
    Davis
    Cousins

Here's one reason, pride

I think it is pretty clear the Cavs are not content with IT.

The Nets thing was referring to the willingness to part with numerous unprotected first rounders, that was all. Though based on early speculation, I'm not sure the asking price will get that high.
    Hill is more of an upgrade to D. Rose, than an indication they're unhappy with Thomas.

Basketball Guru
    i dont think jordan want to help lebron win so kemba may be coming to the west...i think our chances are good unless someone in the east give jordan a offer he cant refuse....

Hill is more of an upgrade to D. Rose, than an indication they're unhappy with Thomas.
    I wouldn't even look at it that way. They just need good perimeter defenders who can shoot the ball and play multiple positions. Hill provides that. Either way, not an indictment against IT like you said.

Kemba would be amazing. Something like 2 1sts, Ajinca, Asik and we get a second back or something

That would keep our 1sts in the 20-30 range

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Kemba would be amazing. Something like 2 1sts, Ajinca, Asik and we get a second back or something

That would keep our 1sts in the 20-30 range
    We would be in no position to be needing a second round pick back.
    I think the options are a straight up trade like: Asik, Frank J. + 2018 and 2020 top 2 protected 1sts (or unprotected), for Kemba Walker. Or more likely, a larger deal with a 3rd team taking Moore and Ajinca and/or Cunningham, with Pels taking on one of Hornets' long salaries like Marvin Williams'.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I’d love to get MKG and Walker and I think 2 first and a second could work. Maybe Chicago gets in on it since they have lots of cap space but they’d get one of the firsts or a first and second.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8vpnqrr

I don’t know when we could trade Nelson but hornets were interested when we signed him so swap Clark for Nelson.

My hope for a big trade like this is that we finish really strong and everyone takes less money to stay together. Next year we’d prob have to find a way to move hill and fill the squad with players wanting to win a championship. Next year we build off of this,
    Kemba
    Jrue, Justin
    MKG, Miller
    Davis
    Cousins
    Can you write out the full trade? The links for espn trade machine don't seem to load with the bigger trades.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Yeah, somebody needs to get punched in the junk for this stuff. I was looking at the Pels 2018-2019 Salary cap, Boogie isn't under contract, but Ajinca and Asik are for a combined $16.5mil. We will be able to resign Boogie, but his contract will bring us up to about $111 million (give or take a couple million). Man, to have that $16.5 mil not on the books, and to have Solomon Hill and his $12.75m off the books as well. Jeez luis this contract mess is like a milestone around our neck.
    It's all off the books after next season as are most contracts outside the big 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    We would be in no position to be needing a second round pick back.
    I think the options are a straight up trade like: Asik, Frank J. + 2018 and 2020 top 2 protected 1sts (or unprotected), for Kemba Walker. Or more likely, a larger deal with a 3rd team taking Moore and Ajinca and/or Cunningham, with Pels taking on one of Hornets' long salaries like Marvin Williams'.
    Why in the world would the Hornets ever take a bad contract like Asik in a trade for Walker? The best we could do would be Moore, Diallo, Jackson, and our 2018 and 2020 top 3 protected first round picks for Walker. I just don’t see that getting it done. I think the Hornets would want to clear more bad contracts. Also, we wouldn’t even be able to afford paying Walker, Holiday, Cousins, and Davis after next season without being a luxury tax team, which won’t happen.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 01-20-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Why in the world would the Hornets ever take a bad contract like Asik in a trade for Walker? The best we could do would be Moore, Diallo, Jackson, and our 2018 and 2020 top 3 protected first round picks for Walker. I just don’t see that getting it done. I think the Hornets would want to clear more bad contracts.
    I agree with part of that, but I also think the Hornets probably don't care as much about clearing bad contracts if they are tanking. Doesn't mean they are going take back a bad contract.

Moore, Diallo, Jackson plus however many picks probably is our best package. We'd still need to send more salary out (Rondo, Cunningham, or Ajinca are the best options for us).

Is it a long shot? Oh yeah it is. Would ownership allow Dell to mortgage the future for Kemba? I dunno. Is there risk? Oh yeah, Cousins could walk this summer and mess up everything. Would I still do it? Heck yeah.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Biggest issue with Kemba is he doesn't exactly fit a need we have. If we could snag a player with his exact skillset, but like 6'7" or something, it'd be golden. But such players who are available only exist in my NBA 2K My Career.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    Why in the world would the Hornets ever take a bad contract like Asik in a trade for Walker? The best we could do would be Moore, Diallo, Jackson, and our 2018 and 2020 top 3 protected first round picks for Walker. I just don’t see that getting it done. I think the Hornets would want to clear more bad contracts. Also, we wouldn’t even be able to afford paying Walker, Holiday, Cousins, and Davis after next season without being a luxury tax team, which won’t happen.
    They're actually dangling Kemba to get rid of other contracts as a package, there's about a 0.01% chance of them taking back our bad contracts

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    They're actually dangling Kemba to get rid of other contracts as a package, there's about a 0.01% chance of them taking back our bad contracts
    Yeah if the Pels really want to go the all in route over Walker, they almost certainly would need to part with multiple firsts to bring in another team to buy cap space from to facilitate a trade.

They seem adamant in shedding contracts, which seems like a waste of their sole major asset, but it’s the Hornets, little they do makes a ton of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Biggest issue with Kemba is he doesn't exactly fit a need we have. If we could snag a player with his exact skillset, but like 6'7" or something, it'd be golden. But such players who are available only exist in my NBA 2K My Career.
    I think Kemba has a really important skill that we need. He can break down a defense off of the dribble. We currently don't have anyone with good enough handles that if put in a 1 on 1 situation they are guaranteed to win.

Kemba would give us the perimeter player that you can throw the ball to at the end of the game and he can force a double team or he will be able to get to the basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I think Kemba has a really important skill that we need. He can break down a defense off of the dribble. We currently don't have anyone with good enough handles that if put in a 1 on 1 situation they are guaranteed to win.

Kemba would give us the perimeter player that you can throw the ball to at the end of the game and he can force a double team or he will be able to get to the basket.
    Side note jrue looked like a man possessed last night getting into the paint lol

Thread Information