Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stephen A.’s trade comments

Stephen A.’s trade comments

I know AD is a top 5 all NBA talent, but would you do this trade?

Celtics get PF Davis, C Asik, C Ajinca

Pelicans get SF Tatum, PF Horford, PG Smart, 2018 Lakers 1st round pick (likely top 5)

I think Tatum will develop into a top 3 SF in the league which is a more valuable position plus considering AD’s injury history the trade is tempting.

This future lineup with a new coach looks like a contender

PG: Rondo/Smart
    SG: Holiday/Moore/Jackson
    SF: Tatum/Miller
    PF: Horford/Hill
    C: Cousins/Diallo

Plus 2018 top 5 pick

Throw in Kyrie and I’ll do it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the hypothetical scenario that AD is traded (he won't be anytime soon), I don't think they would want an older win-now player like Horford, and I would hope they would either trade away Cousins or let him go to another team in free-agency, and fully embrace a youth-rebuild. Possibly trade away Holiday, too.

Either re-route Horford to a 3rd team for further picks and good, young players, or just let BOS keep Horford and just simplify it and make the trade Tatum, Brown, Morris, Smart, LAL/SAC pick, for AD.

I think Davis is obviously the best player in the trade, but the question is which team is better considering we don’t have a competent SF and AD only plays 60 games a season? Tatum looks to be a stud and Horford still gives us a top 10 PF in the league. I think it would take Brown as well for me to do it, but I wouldn’t give Tatum, Brown, and the first rounder if I am Boston. I don’t see the trade happening, and I am a big AD fan, but this team hasn’t been able to build a consistent contender. I think it’s because our lack of wing play and defense. We are purposely forcing either Boogie or Davis to play outside which is obviously not working on a consistent basis.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 01-18-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I think Davis is obviously the best player in the trade, but the question is which team is better considering we don’t have a competent SF and AD only plays 60 games a season? Tatum looks to be a stud and Horford still gives us a top 10 PF in the league. I think it would take Brown as well for me to do it, but I wouldn’t give Tatum, Brown, and the first rounder if I am Boston.I don’t see the trade happening, and I am a big AD fan, but this team hasn’t been able to build a consistent contender. I think it’s because our lack of wing play and defense. We are purposely forcing either Boogie or Davis to play outside which is obviously not working on a consistent basis.
    this is the point that matters. Meanwhile, we could add some cool depth players like Mirotic and Justin Holiday to help with the playoff push. Let's focus on that.

The trade would have to be more than Tatum, a mid lottery 1st, an aging star, and the right to overpay Smart this summer.

Tatum, Brown, and the Laker 1st plus whatever matching salaries. That's still being too generous to Boston.

Tatum, Brown, Morris plus the Celtics pick for AD

Boogie
    Morris
    Tatum
    Brown
    Jrue

Horford
    Davis
    Hayward
    Smart
    Kyrie

They get to keep the last of their Garnet haul but they have to bite the bullet on the Hayward signing and hope he comes back healthy. And hope a Irving/Davis/Hayward big 3 is enough. I personally think the Celtics have inevitability as it is and don't see why they need to make a big trade.

I still wouldn't do it but I think this is the closest you can come to making a fair AD trade.

I think people don't understand exactly how valuable a commodity AD is. He is, in my view, a top three talent in the NBA. That includes all the usual guys. He's better than Westbrook, he's better than Harden, he's better than Kawhi even. He's in that KD, LeBron, level of naturally gifted plus skill. Yes his defense is sometimes a bit suspect, but if you think that alone disqualifies him, then you must not be aware that LeBron doesn't play regular season defense for more than 30 games a year.

To trade a guy who could be the league's number one talent in a year or two (Durant's 30, Lebrons 33) for anything short of an absolute perfect kings ransom is just asinine to me.
    Basketball.

I know the grass is always greener for fans, but trust me on this, that's what Boston fans are thinking too as they salivate over your HOFer.

And doing stuff like this is precisely how small market franchises can remain perpetual Washington Generals to the real professional franchises. You draft a HOF big man as a small market team, then you Dirk/Admiral/Duncan him. You don't even take phone calls. With perhaps some injury clause put in, you sign him to a 15 yr contract, with a no trade clause, and close the book on that position for a whole generation of franchise defining basketball, and then get to the more serious hard work of building a team around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    I know the grass is always greener for fans, but trust me on this, that's what Boston fans are thinking too as they salivate over your HOFer.

And doing stuff like this is precisely how small market franchises can remain perpetual Washington Generals to the real professional franchises. You draft a HOF big man as a small market team, then you Dirk/Admiral/Duncan him. You don't even take phone calls. With perhaps some injury clause put in, you sign him to a 15 yr contract, with a no trade clause, and close the book on that position for a whole generation of franchise defining basketball, and then get to the more serious hard work of building a team around him.
    Exactly!

Think what would have happened to the Spurs if Duncan had gone off to Orlando like he considered. They'd be Memphis now, at best.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    To me no trades for AD should net us less than three firsts. I feel if your going to cripple my team value by giving away my best I want to cripple your future. Its only fair. First thing I am going to say, I want all of your #1's for the next 5 years. Then maybe I will negotiate down to 3. Then I want your current best young player. A vet on an expiring deal. Something like that....to start

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    To me no trades for AD should net us less than three firsts. I feel if your going to cripple my team value by giving away my best I want to cripple your future. Its only fair. First thing I am going to say, I want all of your #1's for the next 5 years. Then maybe I will negotiate down to 3. Then I want your current best young player. A vet on an expiring deal. Something like that....to start
    Delete that profile pic

The trade would have to have

J brown
    Tatum
    2 1st

Minimum

Can't wait to see the Pelicans pulverize the Western Conference in the Playoffs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    Delete that profile pic
    Sorry...oh wait....2009. We cool?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Sorry...oh wait....2009. We cool?
    The heck's that supposed to mean?

You aren't one of those gullible types that bought into the Bounty scandal, were you?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

You aren't one of those gullible types that bought into the Bounty scandal, were you?
    And if they lose to the Eagles some how it'll be the saints fault lmao

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I'm guessing it means that we beat them in 2009 and won the title, so we're kind of even.
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

A while back when we were struggling I had hoped Boston would take AD and we get all of those players that were mentioned. It just didn't seem as though this Pelicans team would be any good back then. Shoot... I was hoping we'd send AD to Boston and we could send Boogie to CLeveland for that Nets pick and more. The thought was we could clean the front office and staff, and get a ton of young talent and use the picks to bring in more young talent.

Since then my stance has changed... we're playing better now, and it seems as though we might even make SOME noise in the playoffs if we could stay out of the #7 or 8 seed.

Of course all of that hope could change with an injury or 2, but I'm for holding on to our superstars for now.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gerrity View Post
    I'm guessing it means that we beat them in 2009 and won the title, so we're kind of even.
    Two whole games left and there's no guarantees they win either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse985 View Post
    I know AD is a top 5 all NBA talent, but would you do this trade?

Celtics get PF Davis...
    let me stop you right there.

NO!

Hey its all good. I don't believe in Karma or revenge or none of that foolishness that fans typically believe in. You win games you lose games. But there are certain dudes you root for and certain dudes you root against. I don't root against the Saints. Don't care. But I do root against Payton. He isn't a professional. 2009 wasn't about y'all beating us. It was about your coach allowing dirty play. This dude taunting the rb in that Falcons game and him being unprofessional and disrespectful towards the Vikings fans. I just don't respect the guy. Ill take the W. And we may lose this week or next. Its a real possibility. But I have been a long suffering Vikings fan. And a long suffering Hornets/Pelicans fan. Too much disappointment. This win seemed like a we finally got a win against the odds. And I'm going to enjoy it regardless of what happens Sunday.

Hey its no worse than Cowboys fans here in DFW saying that the NFL "felt sorry for the Saints" and "GAVE" them the Super Bowl due to Katrina. I've heard that so many times... I thought Cowboys fans were idiots, but its been confirmed.

We could land Tatum, Brown, and the high draft picks, but if Gentry is still the coach we might as well have Keith Sweat, Richard Dumas, and a some 2nd rounders sent our way, because we don't have the staff in place to get the max potential out of those guys. Boogie, AD, and Jrue, are performing well in spite of Gentrys system.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

2009 wasn't about y'all beating us. It was about your coach allowing dirty play.
    100% incorrect. That is just a weak excuse. "Boutygate" was all about the NFL needing a scapegoat when all the concussion lawsuits were happening. It was actually proven that the Saints had much less injuries in their games that the NFL average. There was no proof of intent to injure and the "pools" that the Saints had in the locker room were rampant in the NFL as verified by many NFL players for many teams (including the Vikings).

Thread Information