Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3 Trade Options to Clear OA/AA for Cap Savings and Playoff Players

3 Trade Options to Clear OA/AA for Cap Savings and Playoff Players

Think Dell will feel the pressure to improve the roster for the playoff push, while getting cap savings this summer to avoid the luxury tax with Cousins' looming big contract. Here are 3 good options that accomplish both. This will likely involve trading Asik and/or Ajinca (I prefer trading both) along with our 2018 1st . Protection could be top-10, top-7 or top-5, but it should land between 15-23. With all these trades I think Diallo could be added to add value to the other team, if needed.

1) w/ Bulls http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yaattov2 (Mirotic in place of Lopez)

Mirotic, Justin Holiday
    ---for
    Asik, Ajinca, Cunningham, protected 2018 1st, (Diallo if needed)

If Pels think they need Cunningham, 2 of Allen/Nelson/Clark/Diallo can be swapped in place of him. Pels get Mirotic, who is an super 3rd big playing great so far, possibly too good to be backing up AD/DC who will obviously get big minutes. I hear he has a veto option on where he's traded to, since he has a no-bird rights thing with his expiring contract. But if he would be on board with it, he would be great big insurance, can play with either of AD/DC and can give them a rest when they need it. Helps for playoffs and helps a lot with cap-space with his 12.5 mil contract expiring.

Justin Holiday would be a great addition, and can improve the defense and strengthen the lacking bench. His contract is affordable for this year and next for ~4.5mil each. The brother connection with Jrue is a bonus. Ideally he would take some of Cunningham and Nelson/Clark's minutes, with Miller seeing more time as small-ball PF and Jrue seeing more time at back-up PG.

Cousins/ Mirotic
    Davis / Miller
    Hill / Justin
    Jrue / Moore
    Rondo / (Jrue)

(Nelson, Allen, Clark, Jackson)

2) w/ Magic http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybf5cbf2

J. Simmons, Mack, Speights
    ---for
    Asik, Ajinca, protected 1st, (Diallo if needed)

Pels get 3 decent players to give them depth and savings, with Simmons being the main addition. He gives us a tough-nose defender at SF/SG, an athletic finisher at the rim who can draw fouls. Not a great 3-pt. shooter but excels in other areas. His contract is for 6-mil this season and next, with year 3 being a team option for 5.7 with only 1-mil guaranteed if they don't want to keep him then.

Mack is definitely not a world beater, but he can play a role as a vet back-up PG with size on defense. He can take Jameer's minutes and be a decent option when Rondo is lacking on defense, while still allowing Jrue to play off-ball SG. His contract is 6-mil this year and is essentially expiring, with a team option for 6-mil next year (no way), with only 1-mil guaranteed if Pels don't keep him.

Speights is on an expiring vet min. contract and provide decent back-up C minutes a lot better than Asik/Ajinca or Diallo at this point. He could get hot from 3 and help us in some games, as long as he gets the memo that he's not going to be putting up 10 a game.

Cousins/ Speights
    Davis / Miller/ Cunningham
    Hill / Simmons
    Holiday/ Moore
    Rondo / Mack

(Allen, Nelson, Clark, Jackson)

3) w/ Hawks http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y83e7u27

Dedmon, Belinelli
    ---for
    Asik, Ajinca, protected 1st, (Diallo if needed)

This is the one MM brings up often now. If Hawks are insistent on keeping Dedmon, then Illysova could be substituted instead. Dedmon would be a perfect 3rd big capable of rebounding tough, rim-protecting, rolling to the rim for lobs. He's even added some shooting offense and has made some 3's this year. Basically Davis-lite. Could keep AD/DC fresh, fit perfectly playing alongside either of them, and be great insurance if Cousins gets in foul trouble. He has a contract of 6-mil this season and a player-option for 6-mil next season. It's a win-win, if he opts in we get a great 3rd big man next season, if he opts out, we get the additional 6-mil in cap space this offseason. Illysova would have a much different role, but he's another great shooter that could provide some bench scoring but probably below-average defense. Dedmon would be preferable.

Belinelli provides depth at SG/PG, vet championship experience and yet another great 3-pt. shooter. MM made a good point that he could essentially run the point as a facilitator/game-manager at times, allowing Jrue to play off-ball on offense, but Marco has the size to hold his own for switches on defense. His 6-mil salary is expiring.

Cousins/ Dedmon
    Davis / Cunningham
    Hill / Miller
    Holiday/ Moore
    Rondo / Belinelli

(Allen, Clark, Nelson, Jackson)

Thoughts? How realistic are these, and which would you rather?
    Last edited by Rheem654; 01-06-2018 at 02:46 AM.

I'd prefer this.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yau9lsra

We need a decent PG.

Ajinca, Asik, Diallo and the top 5 protected 2018 1st for Zeller, Dinwiddie and Carroll.

But any of these 4 and I wouldn't complain.

pawel just posted Asik is gone very soon at TD, which means the 1st is gone too

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Where was that posted... more importantly, who are we getting back! And how would he know anyway...

So many questions!
    '' We are here!!''

....and yet I didn’t put one question mark in that post.

You’d think my English would do be quite good...ya know, being English and all.

Quote Originally Posted by England_Hornet View Post
    Where was that posted... more importantly, who are we getting back! And how would he know anyway...

So many questions!
    https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/...lion/74639605/

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Double check what he actually said.

This was him reading into MM tweets. He doesn't have any source for Asik.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 01-06-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I'd prefer this.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yau9lsra

We need a decent PG.

Ajinca, Asik, Diallo and the top 5 protected 2018 1st for Zeller, Dinwiddie and Carroll.

But any of these 4 and I wouldn't complain.
    Yea that would probably be the best of the bunch, with Dinwiddie being the focus. But I can't see Brooklyn giving him up after this breakout season he's had. They don't have their pick this year, so no incentive to lose a lot, actually a lot of incentive to win enough so their pick winds out out of the top 5 so they don't have to be embarrassed about it. Dinwiddie has them winning a good bit, he's young with potential, and he's a good fit next to Russell once he comes back. Would be nice to have him on the Pels for sure, though. Don't think I would do it just for Carroll, and either way it doesn't give Pels any cap savings this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Yea that would probably be the best of the bunch, with Dinwiddie being the focus. But I can't see Brooklyn giving him up after this breakout season he's had. They don't have their pick this year, so no incentive to lose a lot, actually a lot of incentive to win enough so their pick winds out out of the top 5 so they don't have to be embarrassed about it. Dinwiddie has them winning a good bit, he's young with potential, and he's a good fit next to Russell once he comes back. Would be nice to have him on the Pels for sure, though. Don't think I would do it just for Carroll, and either way it doesn't give Pels any cap savings this summer.
    Another one I have been saying for awhile, but depends on LAC being out of the playoff race before the trade deadline.

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...rs-who-you-got

Ajinca, Asik and our first for Lou Williams and Wesley Johnson.
    I'd even be greedy and throw in Diallo and get Beverley for next season as our starting PG.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybtp6qbr

Whatever happened to gravy?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Another one I have been saying for awhile, but depends on LAC being out of the playoff race before the trade deadline.

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showth...rs-who-you-got

Ajinca, Asik and our first for Lou Williams and Wesley Johnson.
    I'd even be greedy and throw in Diallo and get Beverley for next season as our starting PG.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybtp6qbr
    Yea that would be a good option for sure. MM threw that out there again today. Including Beverly would be cool, but can't see it happening with his injury, and the trade there has Pels taking back ~1.5 more in salary, which they can't do. Maybe if Bev is in place of Wesley J.

Also, I posted these on realgm trade board, and some made a good point that clearing Asik AND Ajinca while getting a good expiring player(s) back might be a bit lopsided in value. It might have to be just Asik going out, and then Ajinca can be moved more easily later on as an expiring contract.

Bogut just got released by the Lakers.

1) Does he still have anything left? Perfect skillset if he does. Defends, passes, saavy, aggravating.

2) he and Boogie don't like each other

3) Pels problem of course being if they don't do something else I don't think they can afford/have room for another guy, not even a free championship experienced guy

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Bogut just got released by the Lakers.

1) Does he still have anything left? Perfect skillset if he does. Defends, passes, saavy, aggravating.

2) he and Boogie don't like each other

3) Pels problem of course being if they don't do something else I don't think they can afford/have room for another guy, not even a free championship experienced guy
    He does still have something left. Admittedly he played very little for the Lakers but when he did play be put up 9pts and 17 rebounds per 100 possessions and had a 105DRTG. Obviously that's not crazy great and you wouldn't expect anything near 17rbs from him, but to play solid defense, set good screens for Jrue/Moore, and rebound for 15-20 mpg I wouldn't complain
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He does still have something left. Admittedly he played very little for the Lakers but when he did play be put up 9pts and 17 rebounds per 100 possessions and had a 105DRTG. Obviously that's not crazy great and you wouldn't expect anything near 17rbs from him, but to play solid defense, set good screens for Jrue/Moore, and rebound for 15-20 mpg I wouldn't complain
    Seriously why not try right? He'd be a good back up he could play C when it's just ad or when its just boogie

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I miss Hornet Guru (was it him?) that had a new trade drawn up every day. Those were good times.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

The Franchise
    What about trading for Atlanta's Dedmon and their 2 late round picks (1 via Houston and the other via T-wolves) for our first and Ajinca ( who's contract is less money). There can be protections say if we finish in the 20's we get their later first and their second round pick but something like that. Then we can trade those picks to say 1 to Orlando for Simmons and the other to Chicago for grant and holiday. We could have a second unit of grant, holiday, Simmons, Hill, and Dedmon and we gave up mostly a first rounder.

Denver did it with Lyles but also there were no player swaps and with Ajinca's cheaper contract and ability to be bought out plus moving up in the draft could be enticing.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I miss Hornet Guru (was it him?) that had a new trade drawn up every day. Those were good times.
    Haha yea I think it was him. Dude was a trade creatin' fiend! lol

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    What about trading for Atlanta's Dedmon and their 2 late round picks (1 via Houston and the other via T-wolves) for our first and Ajinca ( who's contract is less money). There can be protections say if we finish in the 20's we get their later first and their second round pick but something like that. Then we can trade those picks to say 1 to Orlando for Simmons and the other to Chicago for grant and holiday. We could have a second unit of grant, holiday, Simmons, Hill, and Dedmon and we gave up mostly a first rounder.

Denver did it with Lyles but also there were no player swaps and with Ajinca's cheaper contract and ability to be bought out plus moving up in the draft could be enticing.
    Good thought, but I highly doubt Hawks would do that. Also, trades need to have equal salary outgoing that's coming in, and with all those players, Pels would be taking in about 13 million more in extra salary, which is against the salary cap rules. espn's trade machine helps: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

Probably best to start calling bottom feeders and asking about veterans. Anyone popping out?

Exactly what Mythrol wrote.
    I said that we are witnessing last month /months of his tenure.
    If you can read salary sheets Asik must be gone not to pay tax.

It was the premise of my post.
    I have source within Nugs organisation. It has some contacts with agents. In summer I had some indirect Asik news. Nothing new now.
    For now there are no DEN-NO trade talks. Pels have some players on great contracts which are interesting for Connelly but no real talks yet.

For those wondering about names.
    Miller. Clark. Diallo.
    Moore.

But Nuggs have bigger decisions to make. Those are not the first choices. Not even second. Just good players/prospects on fair deals
    Usually trades wont happen so early

Thanks for the info pawel

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Good thought, but I highly doubt Hawks would do that. Also, trades need to have equal salary outgoing that's coming in, and with all those players, Pels would be taking in about 13 million more in extra salary, which is against the salary cap rules. espn's trade machine helps: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine
    I know there is salary ramifications, I was just saying those first and seconds could facilitate a trade and/or salary drop.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycrd2ko5
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9ky7uqa

Trade 1 Atlanta for Dedmon. Ajinca is cheaper and can be bought out which would help Atl drop salary plus they can upgrade their 2 late round picks for a potential 15-18 pick instead of 23 and 28. If we would somehow jump the t-wolves then we would get Later pick and their second rounder prob close to first pick in second round.

Trade 2 Orlando for Simmons (henzonja is just to make money work) - Asik and one of our expirings plus the highest of the 2 picks could maybe get it done. They need a big while Vuc is out and have money to buy him out. We could also throw some cash considerations.

Trade 3 Chicago for grant and holiday - give them the lesser of the 2 picks, Diallo, and some expirings like Nelson and Cunningham. This one in not sure Chicago would do unless they really like Diallo but if I was them I'd do it and still have Mirotic and Lopez to trade for other assets.

Team has depth and could be together for another year
    Rondo, Grant, Jackson
    Jrue, Moore, Justin
    Miller, Simmons, (henzonja this year but drop for money to sign Cousins)
    Davis, Hill
    Cousins, Dedmon

At the 6-9 minute mark of first and third quarter and 3-6 min of second and fourth I'd run grant, Justin, simmon, Hill, and Dedmon out there. It looks pretty good defensively and should have enough scoring to keep us in it while starters are getting rest. Thats just an idea of how they could stagger players but now your 10-11 deep and there should be no excuses for being tired and Simmon and Dedmon could be some defensive stoppers if/when we need them.
    Last edited by tdcreator; 01-07-2018 at 05:33 PM.

How about this trade which I think works for all involved?

Detroit gets PG George Hill

Sacramento gets C Omer Asik, C Alexis Ajinca (buyout), and Pelicans 2018 top 8 protected 1st round pick

New Orleans gets PG Reggie Jackson (I know he won’t be back until late February) and C Eric Moreland

My favorite is finding a way to get Mirotic to New Orleans. I doubt it'll happen because he's Chicago biggest trade piece and I think the Bulls view his value like the Suns viewed Bledsoe's value. Simmons/Mack/Speights doesn't do anything for me and even though it gets rid of bad contracts, it adds a $6 mil/3 year deal and a $6 mil/2 year deal for players that I don't think add much value to us that we don't already have (with Solo supposedly coming back). Dedmon/Belly (or Ilyasova) is in my mind the best option for us. We essentially get all that cap space back if Dedmon doesn't resign, but in the meantime gives us a solid 3rd big and another 3 point threat. I'd give up our 1st for that every single time. I'd even be down if it's something as simple as Ajinca, Diallo, & a 2nd for Dedmon/Ilyasova.

However, I do like the deals Aussie_Pelican proposed with Brooklyn and LAC. I think Brooklyn would be more like Cunningham, Asik, Diallo, Allen, and a 2nd (or 2) for Dinwiddie & Carroll though. Lou would be a sweet get for us (but he would have to say he's not resigning with LAC and idk where he stands with the team). I could definitely go for an injured Pat Beverly trade right now (have you seen the options at PG out there??). But with LAC in the playoff hunt, I just don't see an incentive for them to engage (unless we ship them someone with immediate value like Etwaun).

After all that, the trade I am the most invested in is with Atlanta for Dedmon (I'd rather Ilyasova due to spacing) +/- Belly or with Brooklyn for Carroll & Dinwddie. But I'll be happy as long as we do at least one thing that'll help this roster & its flexibility
    Last edited by deiondeion; 01-21-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Thread Information