Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans VS Grizzlies January 11th

The Franchise
    Winners want the ball. I think he couldn't move the ball where it was suppose to go so tried to do it himself. Bad play call but the game shouldn't have been close if the team crashes the defensive boards.

Boogie had a few players collapse on him when he drove, but he chose to drive headfirst into three defenders instead of looking for the pass

Who's to blame for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Or you know, hire one of the multiple other coaches out there. Not saying he would be my choice, but Fizdale is out there, no? Is he not demonstrably a better coach than Gentry, and also probably more suitable for a team based around big men?

It's not like there are 30 coaches in the world and they're all employed so either we take what we're given or we promote an assistant.

But whatever man, let's just keep paying Gentry tons of money to draw up killer plays like "Boogie, dribble into three separate defenders for our final possession, that's a great idea."
    I feel like you have a surprising lack of understanding on how the NBA and the world in general works. Good coaches don't get hired mid season, especially when they aren't on the staff already.

Is a hurried coaching search without all the options available and without time to change and implement their systems really what you want? Is hiring Fizdale now just to be able to fire Gentry a couple of months early really worth passing on someone like Calipari? I don't believe that.

You want blood, sure. Someone to pay for how bad the Pels have been lately. But this is not the time to let your emotions dictate how you should handle things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Exactly like last game where Cousins was terrible for large stretches of the game. Thanks for making my point.
    So was Lebron. Your point?

Last game Cousins came up big late and the Pels won. Actually this game Cousins poured it on in the 4th to bring the Pels back too, but did not get the close. Which sucks, but that can be said of every single star in the NBA routinely. James Harden is the MVP frontrunner and lost a game just two weeks ago when he let Marcus Smart bait him into committing 2 offensive fouls in the final 20 seconds of game. I assume your highly impartial censure was invoked at that time too.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 01-10-2018 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Boogie had a few players collapse on him when he drove, but he chose to drive headfirst into three defenders instead of looking for the pass

Who's to blame for that?
    It was obviously a bad play, but again, a play was drawn up needing your 270lb center to drive to the hoop from the 3pt line, or your 270lb center to avoid a charge while driving into the paint and accurately dishing a pass out to the perimeter like he's a PG?? That's asking a lot.

I mean there are 15 seconds left. You can do all sorts of action. A coach with more affinity for big men would very likely have flashed Cousins into the post and had him take it himself or kick to the perimeter if doubled. That's a lot more standard big man play, and a lot higher percentage than asking Boogie, against a set defense, to be put in the position of being a 6'11" Westbrook.

P.S. I am going to watch it again though on the suggestion that it might have been a busted play with the first option being using Boogie as a post feeder to Jrue, which I like a lot more. Grizz are tough defensively, maybe they took away the designed play, and then it was all improv.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 01-10-2018 at 09:52 PM.

I don't always agree with some fans here but bottom line is they are fair and call it like it is. True Pels fans not bandwagon fans only here because they followed one player.

Quote Originally Posted by Alg_Hornet View Post
    The iso should have been Robdo or Holiday
    Literally the last time we had a chance to win the game at the end Gentry called the play for a Holiday iso. Everyone complained. Said he should have "put the ball in his best players hands".

Gentry does exactly what everyone called for, and is now still being yelled at for it.

How about this: Gentry's play created a WIDE OPEN player, that Cousins refused to pass the ball to even when double teamed.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

Who's to blame for that?
    Boogie should've never been in that position

but if he can stop and hold on... Miller had just popped wide open... it's a very simple 6 foot pass to a wide open shooter

edit: with Boogie basically screening out the defenders who could close out on Miller
    Last edited by rt0307; 01-10-2018 at 09:51 PM.
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

The Franchise
    Unfortunately I don't think you can make a coaching change till the end of the season. Just disappointed cousins doesn't play on the block. I don't mind an occasional 3 but he lives outside. I understand they want to space the floor but come on.

#DoItBig?

Nope

#ComeUpShort

I feel like you have a surprising lack of understanding on how the NBA and the world in general works. Good coaches don't get hired mid season, especially when they aren't on the staff already.

Is a hurried coaching search without all the options available and without time to change and implement their systems really what you want? Is hiring Fizdale now just to be able to fire Gentry a couple of months early really worth passing on someone like Calipari? I don't believe that.

You want blood, sure. Someone to pay for how bad the Pels have been lately. But this is not the time to let your emotions dictate how you should handle things.
    You're right. We need to not hire a proven quality coach in case we might have to pass on Calipari. A guy who hasnt coached in the NBA since 1998, and who's career w/L% then was actually worse than Gentry's is now.

I'm not saying we need to fire Gentry right now. I'm just saying he needs his feet held to the fire and to actually be held responsible for the poor job our head coach is doing of both actually coaching and also managing this team in general. If that means firing him now, or it means waiting, I don't care, I'm just entirely sick of hearing shallow excuses for his lack of ability.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    So was Lebron. Your point?

Last game Cousin came up big and the Pels won. Actually this game Cousins poured it on in the 4th to bring the Pels back too, but did not get the close. Which sucks, but that can be said of every single star in the NBA routinely. James Harden is the MVP frontrunner and lost a game just two weeks ago when he let Marcus Smart bait him into committing 2 offensive fouls in the final 20 seconds of game. I assume your highly impartial censure was invoked at that time too.
    Lebron isn't even in the same conversation because he routinely carries his teams to the playoffs and finals. Largely on his back. If Cousins was half the player Lebron was we wouldn't be having this conversation because our team wouldn't be .500 barely hanging on to the 8th seed.

Yes, I hate Harden as a player. Think his game is bad for the NBA and doesn't work in the playoffs. Think his poor defense is only rivaled by a few in the entire NBA, like Cousins.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 01-10-2018 at 09:57 PM.

You're right. We need to not hire a proven quality coach in case we might have to pass on Calipari. A guy who hasnt coached in the NBA since 1998, and who's career w/L% then was actually worse than Gentry's is now.

I'm not saying we need to fire Gentry right now. I'm just saying he needs his feet held to the fire and to actually be held responsible for the poor job our head coach is doing of both actually coaching and also managing this team in general. If that means firing him now, or it means waiting, I don't care, I'm just entirely sick of hearing shallow excuses for his lack of ability.
    Who's making excuses? Literally EVERYONE is on board with firing him. The problem is far bigger than Gentry though. The sooner everyone realizes that, the better. Hell, Gentry isn't even the biggest problem on this team. He still should be fired, but until someone can reign in Cousins, we are going to be doomed to this life.

Literally the last time we had a chance to win the game at the end Gentry called the play for a Holiday iso. Everyone complained. Said he should have "put the ball in his best players hands".

Gentry does exactly what everyone called for, and is now still being yelled at for it.

How about this: Gentry's play created a WIDE OPEN player, that Cousins refused to pass the ball to even when double teamed.
    how about this... I don't want the ball in Boogie's hands when he has to create in traffic

put him on the block and let him work against the other big... not dribble drive

if he must be above the arc... then just shoot

Let's not play around here, if Boogie and KAT are the top 2 centers in the NBA, "Man Boobs" is #3. He put it on us tonight.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    how about this... I don't want the ball in Boogie's hands when he has to create in traffic

put him on the block and let him work against the other big... not dribble drive

if he must be above the arc... then just shoot
    Or how about he just pass the ball to the wide open player instead of trying to bully his way through defenders?

Putting the ball in Cousins hands worked, it created tons of space for another player. Cousins just refused to pass the ball and instead tried to split defenders losing it.

Who's making excuses? Literally EVERYONE is on board with firing him. The problem is far bigger than Gentry though. The sooner everyone realizes that, the better. Hell, Gentry isn't even the biggest problem on this team. He still should be fired, but until someone can reign in Cousins, we are going to be doomed to this life.
    You're making excuses. Yes, you hold him accountable for a few things (rotations, primarily, occasionally timeouts) because the evidence that he is fundamentally flawed at his job is so insurmountable you can't possibly deny it entirely. But the defense issues: Erman and the players. The offensive problems we often have with ballstoppage and bigs having no sets for them to play inside: player effort, their IQ.

Okay sure, but how is it that other coaches can take players who aren't very good, and at least use them in serviceable ways (see every single player who moves through Golden State becoming a defensively minded sniper, see every Spurs player suddenly twice as good as they were before Pop, and so on) whereas with Gentry we get players who we know to be capable and they suddenly regress.

Is it them? All of them? Is it something in the New Orleans air? Is it the food? Or is it possible that Gentry is not running things very well and is guilty of frequent mistakes that don't need covering up or explaining away? Personally, I'm going with the latter.

Or how about he just pass the ball to the wide open player instead of trying to bully his way through defenders?

Putting the ball in Cousins hands worked, it created tons of space for another player. Cousins just refused to pass the ball and instead tried to split defenders losing it.
    I'd rather a guard that knows how to attack and find open players have the ball in this position than Cousins

let Cousins either spot up or get down in the low block

I don't want him trying to dribble drive into a clogged lane b/c it'll end up in a turnover 1 way or another

You're making excuses. Yes, you hold him accountable for a few things (rotations, primarily, occasionally timeouts) because the evidence that he is fundamentally flawed at his job is so insurmountable you can't possibly deny it entirely. But the defense issues: Erman and the players. The offensive problems we often have with ballstoppage and bigs having no sets for them to play inside: player effort, their IQ.

Okay sure, but how is it that other coaches can take players who aren't very good, and at least use them in serviceable ways (see every single player who moves through Golden State becoming a defensively minded sniper, see every Spurs player suddenly twice as good as they were before Pop, and so on) whereas with Gentry we get players who we know to be capable and they suddenly regress.

Is it them? All of them? Is it something in the New Orleans air? Is it the food? Or is it possible that Gentry is not running things very well and is guilty of frequent mistakes that don't need covering up or explaining away? Personally, I'm going with the latter.
    Yes, Golden State and San Antonio have vastly superior coaches. One being probably the best coach EVER and the other having a team full of All Stars that make every player around them better.

But the same could be said about every other team too. EVERY franchise would trade places with GS, San Antonio, and probably Boston.

Gentry is a net neutral coach that relies on talent and players to win. Just like 90% of coaches ever to coach in the NBA.

No one is defending him. But the accountability doesn't all fall at his feet. The players have a HUGE role in it as well. You think if we replace Gentry with another average coach we get different results? I don't. We have years of coaches with AD and Cousins and it's always the same. So is it always the coaches fault or maybe, just maybe do players deserve some criticism too?

Me personally? I think everyone should get a full plate of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    I'd rather a guard that knows how to attack and find open players have the ball in this position than Cousins

let Cousins either spot up or get down in the low block

I don't want him trying to dribble drive into a clogged lane b/c it'll end up in a turnover 1 way or another
    Who's the guard that knows how to attack on this team? If we had that we wouldn't be in this position to begin with.

Finally, something we can agree on

All 3 of our "big 3" have had the ball at the end of the game to win it this season.

We are 0-3 in those situations. Some big 3...

So we have to deal with our team being ******** and the refs deciding they wanna be the stars of the game

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

You are being disingenuous to say the least. I work under the general impression that you are not stupid, and being not stupid you would recognize as well as everybody else it was the nature of the play rather than the recipient of the play that was problematic. It's not as if there are any centers in the league, or who have ever been in the league, who are going to consistently get a good result driving into a set defense from 25 feet out. And there was plenty of time to get something a lot better.

Yes, Golden State and San Antonio have vastly superior coaches. One being probably the best coach EVER and the other having a team full of All Stars that make every player around them better.

But the same could be said about every other team too. EVERY franchise would trade places with GS, San Antonio, and probably Boston.

Gentry is a net neutral coach that relies on talent and players to win. Just like 90% of coaches ever to coach in the NBA.

No one is defending him. But the accountability doesn't all fall at his feet. The players have a HUGE role in it as well. You think if we replace Gentry with another average coach we get different results? I don't. We have years of coaches with AD and Cousins and it's always the same. So is it always the coaches fault or maybe, just maybe do players deserve some criticism too?

Boogie's had at least 2 coaches notably superior to Gentry: Malone and Joerger. There was just no talent to back those guys up, and Malone's shameful firing just as those Boogie Kings were off to a 9-6 start to the season was actually probably the straw that broke the back there in Sacramento. Give either guy both Boogie AND A.D. though and there would be a lot less complaining on these boards.

That said, nights like tonight again demonstrate the lack of roster depth. I think the Memphis announcers mentioned that the Pels had the lowest scoring bench in the league? And tonight there were only 2 players who were even playable, and one of them shot 1-6 from the 3pt line and played abysmal defense. The Pels didn't lose this game on Boogie's watch -- he played 40 minutes and they were a +4 in his minutes, a -7 in his 8 minutes off. They were a +6 in Jrue's minutes. But Dante Cunningham absolutely could not handle the physicality of JaMichael Green, racked up a -12 in 18 minutes while all 4 other starters were positives. Jameer was awful again. Asik looks completely unfit for modern NBA duty again. And as much as I liked DeAndre Liggins, he played a hell of a lot of minutes for a guy just signed who shouldn't known the system yet, and was out there during all of the Pels' worst minutes, and racked up a -18 in 11 minutes.

Thread Information