Pelicans Report

Thread: 2 Trade Ideas to Improve Depth and Defense

2 Trade Ideas to Improve Depth and Defense

So there are many ways that could help the Pels get more consistent with winning. Coaching could be one, specifically this switch on everything defense that doesn't seem to be working since we're near the bottom in D now. Or maybe we currently don't have the right mix of players for that scheme. Depth is another thing, specifically back-up PG, back-up C/PF, and another quality perimeter defender who actively closes out on shooters.

So if the Pels and Cousins are set on sticking with each other, then here's two trades that could help.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8u974dx

Trade 1 with ATL

-Ajinca
    -Diallo
    -2019 2nd rounder (if needed)

for

+ D. Dedmon

Ajinca's out for the year and who knows how/if he will return next year. He's not that good even when healthy. Diallo is still so raw and not ready to contribute quality minutes, and he may not be ready next year either. And this staff hasn't been great with developing young players, anyway.

Dedmon is the athletic, rebounding shot-blocking Center they need to spell AD/DC and he can fit well next to either of them or as the main big while both of them sit. He makes 6mil this season and has a player-option for 6.3mil next season. If he opts-in, awesome, we have a great 3rd big on a good contract and don't have to worry about filling that role. If he opts-out, fine, we clear that Ajinca salary for next season and use the capspace to fill other areas and sign a cheap 3rd big like Tarik Black for even cheaper.

Atlanta takes on Ajinca's salary to get a young PF/C prospect to develop for their rebuild and a future 2nd, if needed. Diallo has a better chance to reach his potential with a good coach and system.

Trade 2 with CHI

-Asik
    -2018 top-10 protected 1st
    -F. Jackson (if needed)

for

+ J. Grant
    + Just. Holiday

Grant gives the Pels a good back-up PG with size and length for the switch defense, and he's a capable scorer and improved 3-pt. shooter now. He's more than capable of starting when Rondo goes out, and could even be groomed as the eventual starter for the future as Rondo eases into a back-up in the next season or two. No more depending on Jameer for big minutes, or any minutes at all, possibly.

Justin Holiday gives the Pels a long, quick defender unlike any of the other wings on the roster. Hopefully he likes closing out on shooters and can spread that to the rest of the squad. He's also a capable scorer, although quite streaky. Hopefully with a better supporting cast he would be able to raise his overall shooting %, although he's currently at a respectable 36% from 3. Of course, the Holiday bro connection is cool, and could help both guys and team chemistry. He seems like a guy who understands his role and could mesh in really well. He takes much of Tony Allen's minutes, and pushes Miller to play more at PF with Cunningham's minutes being reduced. Or whoever the best option is for the particular match-up. Depth yo.

Meanwhile, this trade instantly shaves off 4.3 mil off the Pels cap this season and next season, plus the 3mil of Asik's partial-guarantee he's owed in 2019-20. Really helps with flexibility with Cousins' new big contract and re-signing Rondo and possibly Miller if he opts out.

Bulls embrace the rebuild and get the Pels' lightly protected 2018 1st for the value of swapping contributing players for Asik's big contract, plus they get rookie Frank Jackson for more value to as young PG/SG prospect with potential to replace Grant's role. They can then continue to add picks and/or prospects by trade Mirotic and/or Lopez.

New, Deep Roster / Depth Chart

Cousins/ Dedmon
    Davis.../ Miller.... / Cunningham
    Hill....../ Justin H./ Allen
    Jrue..../ Moore..../ Clark
    Rondo./ Grant...../ Nelson

Starting Line-up

Cousins
    Davis
    Hill
    Jrue
    Rondo

Super Bench

Moore
    Grant
    Miller
    Justin H.
    Dedmon
    Cunningham
    Clark

Vet Leadership Section

T. Allen
    J. Nelson

2-Way Contract Playas
    Cooke
    J. Jones

= Championship. Or at least a much better equipped roster for after the all-star break and into the playoffs, and set up very nicely for next season, too. Coaching and mindset is another story, doe.
    Last edited by Rheem654; 12-31-2017 at 02:28 AM.

The Franchise
    I like it. I'd prob like to keep Jackson and even trade away Nelson. If we do this I'd try to get Jeremi Grant let all the brothers come play. Jerian, Justin, Jeremi, and Dedmon are solid depth pieces. I think I'd still like Simmons over Justin but won't complain either way.

I can't see the Nets parting with 3 of their starting 5 but I'd do Asik, Ajinca, Diallo and the 2017 top 5 protected for Carroll, Dinwiddie and Zeller.

Go with this team after the all star break and into 2018.

Rondo^/Dinwiddie/Nelson*/Jackson
    Holiday/Moore/Clark*
    Hill/Miller/Allen*
    Davis/Carroll/Cunningham*
    Cousins^/Zeller

*Gone in 2018
    ^Re-sign

OR

Asik, Ajinca, Allen and 2017 top 5 protected for Lopez, Holiday and Grant.

Mirotic is a pipe dream with the way he is playing. His defence is below average and we dont need offence like we need defence.

Rondo^/Grant/Nelson*/Jackson
    Holiday/Moore/Clark*
    Hill/Miller/Holiday
    Davis/Cunningham*/Diallo
    Cousins^/Lopez

*Gone in 2018
    ^Re-sign

OR

Asik, Ajinca, Allen and 2017 top 5 protected for Speights, Herzonja and Mack.

Rondo^/Mack/Nelson*/Jackson
    Holiday/Moore/Clark*
    Hill/Miller/Herzonja^
    Davis/Cunningham*/Diallo
    Cousins^/Speights*

*Gone in 2018
    ^Re-sign

OR

Asik, Allen and 2017 top 8 protected for Dedmon and Delaney.

Rondo^/Delaney*/Nelson*/Jackson
    Holiday/Moore/Clark*
    Hill/Miller
    Davis/Cunningham*/Diallo
    Cousins^/Dedmon

*Gone in 2018
    ^Re-sign
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 12-31-2017 at 03:58 PM.

I think it's pretty clear the 1st will be gone soon

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    I think it's pretty clear the 1st will be gone soon
    Let’s hope so. Ready to close the A-Centers chapter, get some decent players in return for Asik and Ajinca. Should just be about a month left of speculation , saw the trade deadline was moved up to Feb. 8th this year. http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news...x1i1y9jwlwypw6

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I can't see the Nets parting with 3 of their starting 5 but I'd do Asik, Ajinca, Diallo and the 2017 top 5 protected for Carroll, Dinwiddie and Zeller.

Rondo^/Dinwiddie/Nelson*/Jackson
    Holiday/Moore/Clark*
    Hill/Miller/Allen*
    Davis/Carroll/Cunningham*
    Cousins^/Zeller

*Gone in 2018
    ^Re-sign

OR

Asik, Ajinca, Allen and 2017 top 5 protected for Lopez, Holiday and Grant.

Mirotic is a pipe dream with the way he is playing. His defence is below average and we dont need offence like we need defence.

Rondo^/Grant/Nelson*/Jackson
    Holiday/Moore/Clark*
    Hill/Miller/Holiday
    Davis/Cunningham*/Diallo
    Cousins^/Lopez

*Gone in 2018
    ^Re-sign

OR

Asik, Ajinca, Allen and 2017 top 5 protected for Speights, Herzonja and Mack.

Rondo^/Mack/Nelson*/Jackson
    Holiday/Moore/Clark*
    Hill/Miller/Herzonja^
    Davis/Cunningham*/Diallo
    Cousins^/Speights*

*Gone in 2018
    ^Re-sign

OR

Asik, Allen and 2017 top 8 protected for Dedmon and Delaney.

Rondo^/Delaney*/Nelson*/Jackson
    Holiday/Moore/Clark*
    Hill/Miller
    Davis/Cunningham*/Diallo
    Cousins^/Dedmon

*Gone in 2018
    ^Re-sign
    Those are some good options there. I like the Brooklyn one best, like you said. Dinwiddie has played pretty well so far so they might be reluctant to trade him away. But Russell is coming back from injury soon, so maybe if the Pels also included Frank Jackson, Nets would go for it. Carroll and Dinwiddie both would be a great fits, and Zeller is just good enough to give 5-10 minutes at C and still have a cheap contract.

The Bulls one is interesting, but I can’t see them taking on Lopez’s big salary for next season, too. He’s definitely good, but so traditional post, slow feet like Boogie, that we might still have those same problems about covering shooters and when they put our big C in the pick n roll. Then again, he’s dependable and would be good insurance policy if Boogie does leave this offseason.

High likely if by Feb the Clippers are out of the playoff race they make a trade like?

Lou Williams and Wesley Johnson for Asik, Diallo and the 2018 first round pick (top 5 protected).

How the hell will the Clippers be out of the playoff race?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    How the hell will the Clippers be out of the playoff race?
    Their schedule becomes tough. If they lose the next 5 or 6 games and fall 8 to 10 games below. 500 and any of the top 8 teams go on a run them they need to make a decision. Do they keep guys like Williams to play out the season for a high pick or capitalise.

Plus Rivers is injured they are screwed now.

Thread Information