Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Knicks @ Pelicans 12/30

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Improve defense and get a better bench. Can we do that before firing coach???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    When Hill returns and if he does well as a starter we can move Moore to the bench. We need a spark off the bench.

Could we make a meaningful trade that would push us deeper into the playoffs??? If Hill can back we could trade Moore, Asik and a 1st for a very good player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all comes down to coaching. We have talent but poor coaching. That buys you a .500 record.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Please fire gentry

If we fire Gentry would it really show Boogie that we are dysfunctional? It might send him the message that we aren't fooling around, and we want better results than what the current guy is giving us.

If anything I think canning Gentry would be a step in the right direction in showing Boogie and AD that we mean business.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If we fire Gentry would it really show Boogie that we are dysfunctional? It might send him the message that we aren't fooling around, and we want better results than what the current guy is giving us.

If anything I think canning Gentry would be a step in the right direction in showing Boogie and AD that we mean business.
    If that worked he's still be in Sac.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec3333 View Post
    It all comes down to coaching. We have talent but poor coaching. That buys you a .500 record.
    I honestly don't think we have the talent TBH.

There is a reason we are leaning so heavily into a 8-9 player rotation. Starting a career shooting guard at small forward. We have a really imperfect roster outside our top two players. And that oddness is leading to a starting unit that is regularly spotting teams 10-15 point leads.

I still think this team needs to spend something to bring in someone like DeMare Carroll who can lock down the middle of the defense, shore up some of the rebounding issues, keep the floor spread(unlike someone like Hill) for our bigs, and let someone like Moore move back to the bench to help give our reserve unit some more firepower.

I think a move like that alone would of been good enough for 3-5 more wins right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If Divac weren't in Sacramento Boogie would still be in Sacramento.

Coaching had little to do with why Boogie was shopped. He wants to make the playoffs, hiring a coach that can get him there isn't hard, it just requires us to open up the check book. Gentry is a mediocre coach as best, he is never going to lead your team to a title, unless he is an assistant.

I thought Boogie wanted to stay in Sacramento? The Kings front office and ownership are the ones that wanted to move on from what I’ve read.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Mentally or physically?

I'm in Perth
    Well at least you two are hooking up. Only positive way to spin these last two.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If Divac weren't in Sacramento Boogie would still be in Sacramento.

Coaching had little to do with why Boogie was shopped. He wants to make the playoffs, hiring a coach that can get him there isn't hard, it just requires us to open up the check book. Gentry is a mediocre coach as best, he is never going to lead your team to a title, unless he is an assistant.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    I thought Boogie wanted to stay in Sacramento? The Kings front office and ownership are the ones that wanted to move on from what I’ve read.
    What does that have to do with what I said? They traded Cousins because he continued to be a headache and they couldn't trust him with a huge contract.

If fired coaches really had an impact on Cousins he would have cleaned up his act in Sacramento.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Mentally or physically?

I'm in Perth
    Both.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    Well at least you two are hooking up. Only positive way to spin these last two.
    He's not my type.

And of course our rivals Portland and Denver both lose tonight, but Pels didn't capitalize on the chance. Oh well, long season. We need that 6th or 5th spot, still time to pass Port and Den.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    He's not my type.
    Give it a chance. It may blossom into something you never expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    And of course our rivals Portland and Denver both lose tonight, but Pels didn't capitalize on the chance. Oh well, long season. We need that 6th or 5th spot, still time to pass Port and Den.
    Didn't capitalise, but it definitely mitigates the pain somewhat. Spurs lost too.

Trying not to overreact to these two disappointing loses at home to bad road teams. To me the difference in these games was simple: we were no longer draining 3 pointers at an elite level. Our 3 point shooting has masked a lot of fundamental problems. When we shoot well, we can win despite our terrible transition defense and dumb turnovers. When we shoot poorly from outside or even at an average rate, those underlying defensive faults are exposed and we can lose to anyone...and often do.

As I said a few weeks ago, if I was to pinpoint one factor that seems to contribute to all of our problems it's that this roster has trouble playing with consistent intensity. In short, they are lackadaisical by nature. I don't know how to fix that. So much of that comes from within the player. But I think if you do have that kind of roster you can't then also have a laid back coach. You at least need an intense and demanding coach to counter-act the tendency of your team to drift along the season. Gentry has put together a potent offensive squad--but not a winning squad In a way they remind me of how recent Saints teams that would lead the league in offense but couldn't stop any one. With those Saints teams it seemed like every QB who came into the Dome played like Tom Brady. With the Pels it seems like every team that comes in suddenly shoots like Golden State.

It's obviously not a perfect comparison as in basketball you have two-way players, but, like the Saints, the Pels have to find a way to fix their defensive deficiencies if they have any hope of contending in the playoffs, or even reaching them. Don't know if that's coaching or personnel or both. But time to figure it out is running short.

Everyone was routing for 20-16 record after the home stand and what happend? Getry happend. I like him as a person but he is avarange coach. Last 2 games even after halftime was winnable games. Bad coaching in the 4q cost us 2 losses. We should be 21-15 at the moment and I am counting only those 3 Bad home loses (Kings, Mavs and Knicks). If We dont make a playoffs or finish 8th seed with 1 round sweep We Will lose Demarcus and in future Anthony. Those 2 guys are our only hope for win something. Wake up Mr Benson and start making some changes. First off all - good coach, second thing - better GM. Time is now...

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Trying not to overreact to these two disappointing loses at home to bad road teams. To me the difference in these games was simple: we were no longer draining 3 pointers at an elite level. Our 3 point shooting has masked a lot of fundamental problems. When we shoot well, we can win despite our terrible transition defense and dumb turnovers. When we shoot poorly from outside or even at an average rate, those underlying defensive faults are exposed and we can lose to anyone...and often do.

As I said a few weeks ago, if I was to pinpoint one factor that seems to contribute to all of our problems it's that this roster has trouble playing with consistent intensity. In short, they are lackadaisical by nature. I don't know how to fix that. So much of that comes from within the player. But I think if you do have that kind of roster you can't then also have a laid back coach. You at least need an intense and demanding coach to counter-act the tendency of your team to drift along the season. Gentry has put together a potent offensive squad--but not a winning squad In a way they remind me of how recent Saints teams that would lead the league in offense but couldn't stop any one. With those Saints teams it seemed like every QB who came into the Dome played like Tom Brady. With the Pels it seems like every team that comes in suddenly shoots like Golden State.

It's obviously not a perfect comparison as in basketball you have two-way players, but, like the Saints, the Pels have to find a way to fix their defensive deficiencies if they have any hope of contending in the playoffs, or even reaching them. Don't know if that's coaching or personnel or both. But time to figure it out is running short.
    It's not just terrible transition defence, no one can stop guards penetrating and to compound that, the pick and roll defence is all time bad

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post

Great points here, well said

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    Everyone was routing for 20-16 record after the home stand and what happend? Getry happend. I like him as a person but he is avarange coach. Last 2 games even after halftime was winnable games. Bad coaching in the 4q cost us 2 losses. We should be 21-15 at the moment and I am counting only those 3 Bad home loses (Kings, Mavs and Knicks). If We dont make a playoffs or finish 8th seed with 1 round sweep We Will lose Demarcus and in future Anthony. Those 2 guys are our only hope for win something. Wake up Mr Benson and start making some changes. First off all - good coach, second thing - better GM. Time is now...
    How exactly did bad coaching cost us both games in the 4th qtr? Turnovers late in the game, poor shots, and terrible defense cost us both games.

How exactly did bad coaching cost us both games in the 4th qtr? Turnovers late in the game, poor shots, and terrible defense cost us both games.
    Not playing Rondo in the 4q vs Mavs, especially after our run (trailling 118-115) and taking wayyyy to late time-outs vs Knicks (2 Times when Knicks was behind). For Me those mistakes counts on Gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    Not playing Rondo in the 4q vs Mavs, especially after our run (trailling 118-115) and taking wayyyy to late time-outs vs Knicks (2 Times when Knicks was behind). For Me those mistakes counts on Gentry.
    If we made a run without Rondo, that shows maybe it was the right call. Besides, the missed shot into open JJ 3s lose the Dallas game at the end.

The late timeouts against the Knicks were because AD and Cousins were both sucking wind. Especially AD.

Thread Information