Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Knicks @ Pelicans 12/30

embarrassing

Mavs and Knicks were a combined 5-26 on the road coming in.

So I'll just say it: if you are ever going to fire Gentry and make a move, you would do it right now with the break until Weds. I don't think it will happen, but now would be the moment. Team just choked off it's momentum, put itself back in threat for a resurgent Clippers team, you've got days off and still a lot of soft games coming up for a new coach.

Otherwise, not much to do except circle these days and keep them in mind at the end of the year. Complete blown opportunity for no reason.

Oh well, on to the Saints game tomorrow. Let’s clinch this division.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    embarrassing

Mavs and Knicks were a combined 5-26 on the road coming in.

So I'll just say it: if you are ever going to fire Gentry and make a move, you would do it right now with the break until Weds. I don't think it will happen, but now would be the moment. Team just choked off it's momentum, put itself back in threat for a resurgent Clippers team, you've got days off.

Otherwise, not much to do except circle these days and keep them in mind at the end of the year. Complete blown opportunity for no reason.
    Our organization doesn't have the balls to do it

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post

This

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    Oh well, on to the Saints game tomorrow. Let’s clinch this division.
    Basically where i'm at. Won't enjoy pelicans basketball until gentry is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Advantage inside, let's shoot another 3 instead.

Will this finally put Gentry on notice? Maybe another L to the Jazz will do it?
    Ports completely distroyed them inside. It was never an advantage this game.

As far as firing Gentry goes, I'll say it again. I don't care if we want to fire him but who takes over?

If the only options are Erman or Finch, I'd rather keep Gentry until years end and then clean house.

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    Move the 'cans to Seattle honestly
    This will happen if we go into rebuild mode...this fan base can't support another 4 years of less than a mediocre product on the court. Clean house. Give the keys to Calipari.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

As far as firing Gentry goes, I'll say it again. I don't care if we want to fire him but who takes over?

If the only options are Erman or Finch, I'd rather keep Gentry until years end and then clean house.
    Erman and Finch both had great reputations coming in

At what point does it become the players with the problems and not the coaching staff?

Are we even sure Finch is the main one pulling the strings on offense. Didn’t he have a decent head coaching record overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Erman and Finch both had great reputations coming in

At what point does it become the players with the problems and not the coaching staff?
    I fully believe it's more on the players than the coaching staff.
    Are we even sure Finch is the main one pulling the strings on offense. Didn’t he have a decent head coaching record overseas?
    It's more about I don't think Erman or Finch could handle Cousins and Rondo, maybe even AD now. Well, Erman I don't think could handle being a head coach at all. Finch I think has the potential but in this situation I don't think it'd work out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post

Well, the thing is that if the complaint is that the team didn't use it's big guys enough...Cousins and Davis combined for 60pts 28reb.

If the complaint was the defense...well that is really Erman.

If the complaint is lack of talent...they looked more talented a few games ago, and that would be Demps.

And of course the other issues are a) who would replace him? Midseason like this you are really just talking about random assistant. Possibly Erman himself, who is responsible for the worst part of the Pels. Otherwise it's Finch, who is a complete wildcard who's already running his offense. I can't even think of any big name outside coaches that are truly available midseason this time. A couple of years ago there were a lot of them, but they all got hired in the same summer -- Thibodeau, Vogel, Brooks, Joerger. b) of course is that Cousins, who once had to endure 3 coaching changes in one season, has to be so so over that sort of instability.

The worst thing that ever happened to the team was Rondo breaking all kinds of records earlier this week.

It completely shattered all focus this team had. Now you can blame it on the coaches not keeping them on track, but at some point it falls on the players to keep pushing themselves.

Yeah exactly I'm sorry but gentry wants to be noticed it's how he gets jobs he wouldnt let some other guy get the recognition except for like a few plays here and there

Checked the score at 97 to 91 with 3 minutes left.
    14 to 6 run in 3 ****** minutes.
    Glad I didn't waste another day watching this ****.

Well, the thing is that if the complaint is that the team didn't use it's big guys enough...Cousins and Davis combined for 60pts 28reb.

If the complaint was the defense...well that is really Erman.

If the complaint is lack of talent...they looked more talented a few games ago, and that would be Demps.

And of course the other issues are a) who would replace him? Midseason like this you are really just talking about random assistant. Possibly Erman himself, who is responsible for the worst part of the Pels. Otherwise it's Finch, who is a complete wildcard who's already running his offense. I can't even think of any big name outside coaches that are truly available midseason this time. A couple of years ago there were a lot of them, but they all got hired in the same summer -- Thibodeau, Vogel, Brooks, Joerger. b) of course is that Cousins, who once had to endure 3 coaching changes in one season, has to be so so over that sort of instability.
    This team is officially stuck in NBA purgatory. Something has gotta give before the 2nd half of the season.

From time to time you hear people mocking fans by saying "sure, you know more than an NBA coach." But in this teams case, it is absolutely true.

Gentry is Tim Floyd.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I fully believe it's more on the players than the coaching staff.
    I don't want to keep on going back and forth playing devil's advocate here, but since I really do see both sides of this one, the obvious counterargument would be that Alvin Gentry has coached in a ludicrous 905 career games now, and has a career .470 win%. In 15 seasons he's had a winning record exactly 3 times. He's either the unluckiest coach alive, or this sort of performance is right in line with what he always delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Checked the score at 97 to 91 with 3 minutes left.
    14 to 6 run in 3 ****** minutes.
    Glad I didn't waste another day watching this ****.
    Smart man

I don't want to keep on going back and forth playing devil's advocate here, but since I really do see both sides of this one, the obvious counterargument would be that Alvin Gentry has coached in a ludicrous 905 career games now, and has a career .470 win%. In 15 seasons he's had a winning record exactly 3 times. He's either the unluckiest coach alive, or this sort of performance is right in line with what he always delivers.
    It's like they say, the 15th time is the charm.

I said I believe it is more on the players than the coaching staff. Not that the coaching staff didn't deserve some blame.

Let's also not ignore the extremely unlucky injuries we've had for this season as well. We still have not played a single game with all of our starters this year and are probably still 2 months away from doing it.

I fully believe it's more on the players than the coaching staff. It's more about I don't think Erman or Finch could handle Cousins and Rondo, maybe even AD now. Well, Erman I don't think could handle being a head coach at all. Finch I think has the potential but in this situation I don't think it'd work out for him.
    I'm what way can't they handle DC, RR and AD?
    Do you think they are deliberately ignoring the coaches?

Whenever I or David Wesley say they have an advantage inside, we are talking offense. And I'd let Finch take over.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I'm what way can't they handle DC, RR and AD?
    Do you think they are deliberately ignoring the coaches?
    I think Cousins is on his best behavior now trying to make it work but if we fired Gentry he would start seeing it disfunction and start lashing out more. Rondo is a hot head too that might or might not keep it together under a coaching change.

And AD is influenced by Cousins. Just look at Durant and Draymond. Durant is a totally different personality now. I believe AD could keep it together but I'm not 100% that Cousins would fire him up enough to be a handful.

At haltftime almost 35% of their shots came from 3 land. By game's end it's 31%.

That is an adjustment that shouldn't have needed to be made. No reason to come out firing so many 3s against the Knicks.

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    Move the 'cans to Seattle honestly
    This will happen if we go into rebuild mode...this fan base can't support another 4 years of less than a mediocre product on the court. Clean house. Give the keys to Calipari.

Thread Information