Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: Mavericks @ Pelicans 12/29

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Gentry will be fired. I️ really think it’s coming soon. This franchise is very vulnerable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only way Gentry gets the axe is if AD pushes for it. Otherwise he’ll remain the coach as long as we’re in playoff contention

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    As much as that high, red-eyed mofo frustrates me at times, I realize we hired him as an offensive mind. Our offense is top 5 I believe. I'm firing that midget Erman like yesterday. Defensive guru
    The buck stops with Gentry. I'm certain players went under screens on Rondo when he won a championship with Boston. It's nothing new.

You want all your best players in the game at that point. No excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    And I hope if we do we don't pay Cousins 30M+ per season to stay for 8th.
    Well if we keep giving guys like Asik and Solomon Hill big contracts around him we will (looking at you Demps).

Because Jameer Nelson isn't one of the worst defenders on the team

Geesus

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The irony of this team, as up and down as it is, that tonight we'll probably blow the Knicks out of the water. We're a Jekyll and Hyde team.
    1.... I hope you’re right man.

2... we bloody well should be anyway! As well as last night.
    '' We are here!!''

We better beat the Knicks, they're playing on my birthday

I couldn't watch the game but I checked on ESPN and saw the halftime score. Could someone 'splain to me how in the hell did we allow 77 points in a half to the Mavs?

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I couldn't watch the game but I checked on ESPN and saw the halftime score. Could someone 'splain to me how in the hell did we allow 77 points in a half to the Mavs?
    Same crap as usual

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

They literally couldn’t miss from 3.

A lot of people will say they just got hot and splash....but to be honest, we defended the perimeter horribly...and they just kept knocking down good looks.

Quote Originally Posted by England_Hornet View Post
    They literally couldn’t miss from 3.

A lot of people will say they just got hot and splash....but to be honest, we defended the perimeter horribly...and they just kept knocking down good looks.
    Yup, you can’t leave professional NBA players that wide open on the perimeter no matter who they are or what team they play for.

Thanks guys. Yeah you'd think after the first few shots that went down... we'd do a better job defending the perimeter. Fact is aside from Jrue and maybe Moore... we don't have any more players that can defend out there.

Look you can blame poor defense and without a doubt it was bad but give Dallas credit. They set a franchise record for made 3s last night. They got insanely hot and blew the game open.

The problem is teams tend to get hot against us. We came out not focused, yet again, against a bottom tier team and they exploited it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Look you can blame poor defense and without a doubt it was bad but give Dallas credit. They set a franchise record for made 3s last night. They got insanely hot and blew the game open.

The problem is teams tend to get hot against us. We came out not focused, yet again, against a bottom tier team and they exploited it.
    This. Yes, our defense in general was awful, especially in the first half, but even on the looks that were contested well they couldn't miss. They had their confidence going after a couple of easy buckets and once that happens it doesn't really matter how well you play defense.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Too many teams get insanely hot against us. Toronto couldn’t miss when we first played them. Denver beat us by 40 plus points because of their offense destroying us. Dallas got hot. It’s the defense. Our defense isn’t good enough to be a serious playoff team. It’s probably because we don’t have the roster we need for defense but more so I️ think it’s coaching and not having Hill out there. Hill definitely will make a big difference because he is a very above average defender and we won’t see teams getting as many open shots.

I️ bet that hill not being out there is affecting the team much more than people realize.

Last year we had Terrance Jones who played hard defense. I️ can’t think of anyone else who was a great defender. Reke and Galloway were decent defenders. Better than they got credit for imo.

I️ think the problems we have will require major changes. Cousins is too turnover prone and we need an athletic defensive oriented backup big who can really run the court. I️ would trade our 2019 first round unprotected and Asik for the right guy. Add even more to get the right guy. Cousins turns it over and we get killed on the fast break. Cousins gets tired and needs longer rests and we need that defensive presence out there while he can rest.

Trade for a very good backup big. Chris Anderson type or something. Get Solomon Hill back healthy. Cut down turnovers and improve defense by getting good defenders out there.

If this doesn’t make things better we have to fire coaching

They were at 76% from three at one point late in the 3rd. Ended up closer to 57%. That is tough to overcome but they should have run them off the 3 point line much earlier and not leave so many wide open 3's. Same story different day.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Too many teams get insanely hot against us. Toronto couldn’t miss when we first played them. Denver beat us by 40 plus points because of their offense destroying us. Dallas got hot. It’s the defense. Our defense isn’t good enough to be a serious playoff team. It’s probably because we don’t have the roster we need for defense but more so I️ think it’s coaching and not having Hill out there. Hill definitely will make a big difference because he is a very above average defender and we won’t see teams getting as many open shots.

I️ bet that hill not being out there is affecting the team much more than people realize.

Last year we had Terrance Jones who played hard defense. I️ can’t think of anyone else who was a great defender. Reke and Galloway were decent defenders. Better than they got credit for imo.

I️ think the problems we have will require major changes. Cousins is too turnover prone and we need an athletic defensive oriented backup big who can really run the court. I️ would trade our 2019 first round unprotected and Asik for the right guy. Add even more to get the right guy. Cousins turns it over and we get killed on the fast break. Cousins gets tired and needs longer rests and we need that defensive presence out there while he can rest.

Trade for a very good backup big. Chris Anderson type or something. Get Solomon Hill back healthy. Cut down turnovers and improve defense by getting good defenders out there.

If this doesn’t make things better we have to fire coaching

Yea, an athletic, defensive oriented-backup big would be a great addition. D. Dedmon from ATL would be perfect in that role, he's about 2 weeks away from returning back from injury. His contract is 6mil this season with a player-option for 6.3 next season. So ready to get Asik and Ajinca off this roster and get some playable player(s) in their place.
    I don't think Pels will or should trade a 2019 pick, especially an unprotected one, which doesn't happen anymore since the Nets fiasco. At least top-3 or top-5.

Asik, Ajinca, 2018 top-10 protected 1st
    for
    Dedmon, Belinelli or Illyasova (both expiring)

Would save Pels a lot in cap-space, hopefully Dedmon opts-in next season securing that back-up big spot, or if not, get even more cap-space to operate. Would even include Diallo if they wanted him.

Thanks guys. Yeah you'd think after the first few shots that went down... we'd do a better job defending the perimeter. Fact is aside from Jrue and maybe Moore... we don't have any more players that can defend out there.
    For real, I think relying on 2 older, past-their-prime (and undersized in Nelson's case) PG's is definitely affecting the defense. Adding a young, quick PG with size could really help, Jerian Grant on CHI would be great for that. Or maybe Frank Jackson could be that guy.

The Franchise
    If Jackson could come in and be a defensive stopper at pg that would be awesome. When does he even come back? I think a SG/sf stopper like Simmons would be great and then someone like Noel at the 4/5. Noel should be fairly cheap to get maybe Ajinca and a second. Simmons would be tougher but maybe they could be enticed by Diallo and others parts like a second or pick swap. The only way I give up the first is if Asik goes with it.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8z5cd87

Second unit of
    Jackson
    Simmons
    Henzonja/Miller
    Hill
    Noel
    Could be pretty effective or even Jrue, Moore, Simmons, Hill, and Davis.

I'm torn about what this team needs to take that next step.

A PG that has size to defend the pick and roll, but can still shoot at an average rate.

A PF/C who can defend and rebound but isn't totally inept on offence.

A SF by committee will be fine once Hill comes back healthy and strong.

One or both of those would be nice.

A PG that has size to defend the pick and roll, but can still shoot at an average rate.

I mean I think in an ideal world the most efficient path would be to find a really good point forward.

That way you can move Jrue to the one for lineup purposes but in terms of usage he would play the same off ball role. Moore at the two, your point forward at the three, Davis and Cousins filling out the front court.

But we aren't getting Lebron, Giannis, Draymond, Kawhi, or Ben Simmons here. If I didn't have zero trust in this medical staff, and the contracts make it unworkable, I would be in favor of doing whatever it takes this offseason to bring in Mike Conley since it seems pretty clear the Grizzlies will be blowing it up. A healthy Conley and his elite facilitation ability with a career of working in a big man centric system, with a very respectable jump shot and ability to get to the line, would be a pretty ideal point guard for us. Plus with Conley's shooting you could run Solo in the starting lineup without worrying about spacing issues as much.

The big issue is that I cant really see too many avenues for this team to notably improve through this years free agency or in viable trades.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 12-30-2017 at 03:54 PM.

The issue is no matter how hot Dallas was last night, the Pelicans got the score down to 120-117 with more than 3 minutes left in the game.

They stop executing on offense, then did an extremely poor job guarding Berea. The most egregious being Davis switching onto him with lazy defense, then completely losing him in the corner for the final dagger.

That fault lies with the Pelicans poor execution, scouting (can't leave Berea) and therefore poor coaching. Period.
    Last edited by luckyman; 12-30-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The issue is no matter how hot Dallas was last night, the Pelicans got the score down to 120-117 with more than 3 minutes left in the game.

They stop executing on offense, then did an extremely poor job guarding Berea. The most egregious being Davis switching onto him with lazy defense, then completely losing him in the corner for the final dagger.

That fault lies with the Pelicans poor execution, scouting (can't leave Berea) and therefore poor coaching. Period.
    Coaching huh? Never heard that one before...

The Franchise
    I see a failure to trust the switch on defense. I wish they'd pick a guy they don't want to beat us with then double him when he gets the ball. Last night they didn't know who they wanted to stop.

On offense they should have pounded them down low. I hate having 2 great bigs and both stay at the 3pt line. One should ALWAYS be on the block playing an inside out game.

I have a trade idea that address all of these. If Bulls decide to embrace the tank...

Mirotic (or Lopez), Jerian Grant, Justin Holiday
    for
    Asik, Ajinca, 2018 top-10 protected 1st, three of Nelson/Allen/Cunningham/Clark/Jackson/Diallo

Mirotic is essentially expiring, doesn't have bird rights if he's traded so Pels probably won't be able to re-sign him, but clears up cap-room and is playing great this year to help with playoff push and give AD/DC some rest. Lopez could also work as the big contract guy coming back, but his 13mil is guaranteed next season, and while very reliable at C, that's a lot of money tied up next year in a back-up and he's pretty slow-footed.

Grant gives the Pels a solid young PG with size and length to switch, may not have the pure defensive instincts, but definitely should be better than Rondo/Nelson for defense line-ups. Improved 3-pt. shooter this year at 35%. On a bargain contract of 1.7 this season and 2.7 next season.

Justin Holiday adds length and quickness to the perimeter D that's lacking from our other players. Joining up with Jrue is a nice side bonus that maybe could lead to improved play for both.

Cousins/ Mirotic
    Davis / Miller/ Hill
    Hill / Justin H.
    Jrue / Moore
    Rondo/ Grant

Thread Information