Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Expectations going into the new year and where we stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    You sure you wouldn't just like Gal Gadot as well? As long as you are aiming for unlikely pie in the sky scenarios, might as well make it something within theoretical reach.
    If you take 5 seconds to look at the upcoming schedule, it's not "pie in the sky" at all. Very winnable games coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    If you take 5 seconds to look at the upcoming schedule, it's not "pie in the sky" at all. Very winnable games coming up.
    There's a vast difference between having a winnable game and winning a winnable game, yet alone 12 in a row with as inconsistent of a roster as we have. Is it farfetched to say we'll have a winning record over out next 12? No. Is it farfetched to say we will win every one of them? Yes. Until we show we're capable of stringing together wins and staying healthy, I'll believe it when I see it.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

LOL. I'm practically the first person on this forum to start pointing out to all the trolls and negative nancies that the schedule was going to turn post-Christmas.

However, having the schedule turn favorable, and being a team that has fought and clawed to stay above .500 now suddenly springing up with an 11 game win streak are different things. It's not completely impossible, it really isn't, but it's a million miles away from "No excuses". You could play this season out 100 times from this point and not get that result once. There's always a trap game, or a tired game, or an A.D. got a paper cut from one of those little gatorade cups during the timeout and now needs to go in for a dozen stitches and miss the next 2 games headshaker.

And hey, if you had said you saw a real chance for the team to go 7-4 or even 8-3 through this stretch I wouldn't have blinked -- I was just looking through the upcoming schedule a few days ago and trying to decide if the Pels could get up to 29-21 by the 50 game mark (go 12-5 over the next 17), and figuring 27-23 (10-7) would be a bit disappointing. I'm no parade rainer. I've been saying from the beginning that this team was in better position than people realized. But the Pelicans/Hornets have actually never had an 11 game win streak in the entire history of the franchise (topped out at 10 twice in '09 and '11), and I'm a bit wary of the seeming tendency for Pels fans to throw down impossible or highly unlikely gauntlets for the team, and then proclaim disillusionment when the team doesn't meet those artificial standards. If you want to be this forum's new font of irrepressible optimism and positivity please by all means proceed, just please don't rail against them when they win a more reasonable number of games.

P.S. last year the only teams to have streaks of more than 10 wins were the Warriors (twice) and the Heat on that huge late season run they went on. So far this year its Boston, Cleveland, Golden State and Houston. In 2015-16 it was Warriors (twice), Spurs, and Raptors. Stringing together that many wins in a row without dropping a single one really is a pretty rare occurrence for anybody but the true title contenders.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 12-26-2017 at 01:08 PM.

No, it's not really different things at all. Maybe out of the gate in October, but not in almost January. This is when you see playoff teams hit streaks after hovering around .500. It's not a rare phenomenon AT ALL. If you're going to do any fruitful analysis on it, look at at least the last 5 years.

The main caveat is you have to account for SOS. Only 2 of the next 9 games are against teams considerably above .500 (Minnesota & Detroit), with only the Knicks (who they play twice in this stretch) and Portland at .515. With also 5 of the next 8 games at home with a trip to Minnesota the only road game against an above .500 team. That is the recipe for a streak to happen.

They've already won 2, so the streak needs to be 9 straight with all the caveats I've laid out. It sure as hell doesn't qualify as "farfetched". I didn't say it's going to happen, but I said I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't.
    Last edited by luckyman; 12-27-2017 at 06:38 AM.

No, it's not really different things at all. Maybe out of the gate in October, but not in almost January. This is when you see playoff teams hit streaks after hovering around .500. It's not a rare phenomenon AT ALL. If you're going to do any fruitful analysis on it, look at at least the last 5 years.

The main caveat is you have to account for SOS. Only 2 of the next 9 games are against teams considerably above .500 (Minnesota & Detroit), with only the Knicks (who they play twice in this stretch) and Portland at .515. With also 5 of the next 8 games at home with a trip to Minnesota the only road game against an above .500 team. That is the recipe for a streak to happen.

They've already won 2, so the streak needs to be 9 straight with all the caveats I've laid out. It sure as hell doesn't qualify as "farfetched". I didn't say it's going to happen, but I said I'll be very disappointed if it doesn't.
    I can't take your stance on this seriously. If you think a 12-game winning streak is more probable than improbable, then you either haven't watched our team this year or you're underestimating the difficulty in making lengthy runs and the variables that go into sustaining that level of success.

Going on such a streak is absolutely a rare phenomenon and I don't have to do your research for you because Bricklayer already provided plenty of evidence to verify my stance. That included the fact that we have NEVER gone on such a streak in franchise history.

Again the ingredients for going on a good run are there, I agree. But unlike you, I wouldn't consider something like 9-3 to be a "disappointment" because I'm a realist.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-27-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    I can't take your stance on this seriously. If you think a 12-game winning streak is more probable than improbable, then you either haven't watched our team this year or you're underestimating the difficulty in making lengthy runs and the variables that go into sustaining that level of success.

Going on such a streak is absolutely a rare phenomenon and I don't have to do your research for you because Bricklayer already provided plenty of evidence to verify my stance. That included the fact that we have NEVER gone on such a streak in franchise history.

Again the ingredients for going on a good run are there, I agree. But unlike you, I wouldn't consider something like 9-3 to be a "disappointment" because I'm a realist.
    Apparently you didn't read. I didn't say an 11 game (where do you get 12 from?/(guess you didn't read) is more probable than probable. I said LOOKING AT THE UPCOMING GAMES FOR THE PELICANS. When you learn probability, they also teach "conditional" probability too no?

There is not been "plenty of evidence" anywhere in this thread.
    Last edited by luckyman; 12-27-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Apparently you didn't read. I didn't say an 11 game (where do you get 12 from?/(guess you didn't read) is more probable than probable. I said LOOKING AT THE UPCOMING GAMES FOR THE PELICANS. When you learn probability, they also teach "conditional" probability too no?

There is not been "plenty of evidence" anywhere in this thread.
    The definition of farfetched means improbable, unlikely to happen. You said a 11 (not 12!) game winning streak is not farfetched. By translation, you said it's not not probable. What on earth does that mean if not probable?

Especially when you say I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen. Disappointment infers an expectation, does it not?
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-27-2017 at 06:43 PM.

The pelicans will be lucky to win seven games in a row this year. I like this team and think it will make the playoffs, but as of yet I haven't seen anything resembling the consistency to win 1/8 of the season's games in a row.

Ok...so based on the early season results you probably as a fan fall into one of two or three categories...there are the fans like myself that expected this roster to compete for a mid-level playoff spot and felt that it was only time playing together and roster continuity that kept this team from really excelling, for me I'm a bit frustrated with the defensive issues and seeing as great as this team has been offensively I think that many of our losses should've and could've been wins and we should be a bit higher in seeding than we are now. And I'm ok with that....knowing the stretch of opponents we have cooking up and knowing we should be able to put some distance between us and the lower level playoff teams coming soon is encouraging, I'm pretty satisfied with what I've seen knowing that better things are soon to come from all I can see with this team so far. Would love to see a trade to bring in another 3 and D type wing player that would really put us in the top 4 west convo....so the other looks at this are as fans that didn't expect even a playoff caliber squad and are delighted that we are even this far....and the guys who thought this would be a top 4 team no matter what and are the vast minority of fans here.....I can only wonder what those guys see here....but all in all I'm happy with where we are, what I've seen, and the future of this team being a very bright one.

I expected the team to finish in the 4-7 range, and this stretch has only encouraged me. You are going to be .500 against the type of scheduled we've played unless you are GS or SA. Seeing them finally BLOW OUT bad teams, and have a great record against he East. is what makes me think this is a different year and we wont be scratching for the 8th seed.

Really looking forward to Frank Jackson returning, even though he will probably only get spot minutes like Diallo. Wonder if he can push for the back-up PG role next season, or is he best as an off-ball SG? And will we make any trades by the deadline?! So curious to find out.

I want solo back and Frank the tank. If solo can get 10/5 a game and play baller D it will be HUGE for us

It is a nice change seeing people argue about how many games we will win in a row instead of the opposite. If pels can get a little more depth Western conference better watch out, Solo coming back will be great. Hopefully he can play stretch 4 and I do not have to see Asik again this year.

I think at this point the goal of this team is to not only get to the playoffs, but to get into the 2nd round. The best way to do that is to get the 4 or 5 seed. Looking at 1-3, barring major injuries, we are looking at the Houston, Golden State, and San Antonio. Those teams are just on another level compared to the rest of the West.

As a 4/5 seed not only would the Pels avoid playing those 3 teams but would likely be in line to play the likes of OKC, Twolves, Blazers or Nuggets. These teams have more flaws to exploit and, therefore, increase our chances of beating and getting into the 2nd round.

Who knows what we might do in the 2nd round vs. those top 3 teams but an appearance in the 2nd round would likely 1) Increase our chances of resigning DeMarcus 2) Make AD happy 3) Help attract free agents 4) High expectations/momentum for 2018.

What do you guys think about getting vice Carter if he was available?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by R Pelly View Post
    I think at this point the goal of this team is to not only get to the playoffs, but to get into the 2nd round. The best way to do that is to get the 4 or 5 seed. Looking at 1-3, barring major injuries, we are looking at the Houston, Golden State, and San Antonio. Those teams are just on another level compared to the rest of the West.

As a 4/5 seed not only would the Pels avoid playing those 3 teams but would likely be in line to play the likes of OKC, Twolves, Blazers or Nuggets. These teams have more flaws to exploit and, therefore, increase our chances of beating and getting into the 2nd round.

Who knows what we might do in the 2nd round vs. those top 3 teams but an appearance in the 2nd round would likely 1) Increase our chances of resigning DeMarcus 2) Make AD happy 3) Help attract free agents 4) High expectations/momentum for 2018.
    True, especially with Teague now being ruled out indefinitely due to injury, T'Wolves could fall in the standings a bit. Let's go for that 4 or 5 seed.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    What do you guys think about getting vice Carter if he was available?

For what it's worth... saw where MM says they are targeting Demarre Carroll
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    Yeah I saw that too idk I'm kinda iffy on the guy especially after seeing him last night..

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post

my goodness

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    my goodness
    Jeez... I knew our offense was thundering but wow
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    Yea saw that, too. Well, the exact quote was, "He's a target." So sounds like he's one in a long list of targets, not that they're keying in on Carroll specifically. I'm not sure he'd be worth it. Not sure what he would bring that Miller and Cunningham aren't providing us right now.

As for Vince Carter, he would have been nice as a Tony Allen vet min kind of signing, but I don't really see a trade for him on his 8mil$ contract. Asik for him could work straight up, but that would cost a pick, and he's way too old to be depending on him for significant contribution. That great game he had against the Cavs was something he does in about 1 in 20 games now.

What would ya'll think about getting Faried while clearing Asik and Ajinca, plus our top-10 or lotto protected 1st? I was bored and wrote up this 3-way trade over on the realgm trade boards.

NOP out: Asik, Ajinca, lotto or top 10 protected 2018 1st
    NOP in: Faried, (M. Richardson?)

DEN out: Faried, Arthur, (Mudiay?), lotto or top 10 protected 2018 1st
    DEN in: George Hill

SAC out: G. Hill, (M. Richardson?)
    SAC in: Arthur, Asik, Ajinca, (Mudiay?), NOP protected 2018 1st, DEN protected 2018 1st

Pelicans consolidate two nearly unplayable Centers for an instant energy 3rd big. Faried is dependable enough to spell AD and Cuz and fit well next to either of them or alongside Cunningham in a small line-up giving both star-bigs a rest. Same contract length of 2 years and saves a few million. If the Kings would want to dump Malachi Richardson's salary in exchange for Mudiay, Pels could take him.

Cousins/ Faried
    Davis / Cunningham/ Diallo
    Hill / Miller / Allen
    Holiday/ Moore /Clark
    Rondo / Nelson /Jackson

Nuggets get George Hill to bring some high-quality vet leadership and defense to the back-court, allowing Murray to come off the bench in a super-sub role while he continues developing. Faried and Arthur aren't in the rotation, and they have plenty of depth up front to be okay with clearing their salaries away. They could also included Mudiay to the Kings if they decide it's time to move on and if the Kings are interested in taking him on to back-up Fox (and Mason III?)

Jokic / Plumlee
    Millsap / Lyles / Hernangomez/ Lydon
    Chandler/ Craig / Jefferson
    Harris / Barton / Beasley
    Hill / Murray

Kings pull the ol' taking on salary in exchange for 2 picks that will likely be in the late teens/high 20's. George Hill was a nice mentor for Fox and the youngins, but with veterans Vince and Z-bo still on board, they shouldn't miss him too much. Plus, with Bogdanavic's play-making looking like a point-guard/point-forward, that should also help. They can have the option to take a flyer on Mudiay in exchange for M. Richardson, or they can pass if they decide they have enough PG developing to focus on with Fox. The contracts they're taking back are all 2 years, same as Hill's (Arthur has a player option for next season, Asik only has a partial guarantee of 3mil after next season). Having 3 firsts in the draft should leave them with a lot of options to add good, young talent.

Cauley-Stein / Koufos / Papagiannis
    Randolph / Labissiere / Giles
    Bogdanavic / Carter/ Jackson
    Hield / Temple
    Fox / Mason III

Thoughts? Suggestions for improvement? Thanks.

I think faried is the perfect back up big

I expect the 5th seed or I will be disappointed.

Thread Information