Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Boogie and AD versus Washington

God I miss the days of monty yeah we were bad but atleast this team played with heart for him

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Send Erman to coach a high school team

we need to ask AD and BOOGIE who they want to be coach next season

Had to play defense for 3.6 seconds. We couldn't

They're not even trying to get miller any looks lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    Send Erman to coach a high school team
    This isn’t Erman fault ..
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

Quote Originally Posted by Alg_Hornet View Post
    This isn’t Erman fault ..
    The defense is up there with the worst in the league. It has been dreadful again tonight. Who would you blame?

A team with AD, Boogie, Jrue and Rondo should not be about to fall under 500 after this game. No excuse at all. And you can save the strength of schedule garbage. This team is underachieving plain and simple. As a life long bulls fan that totally switched and committed to the Home team once we got the team from Charlotte its becoming hard to watch this. Even the most optimistic fans are growing frustrated and pessimistic.

this game actually felt more like an early season game for the Pels, where both big guys scuffed along for big but not terribly efficient numbers, and then nobody else stepped forward at all. Lot of stagnant offense, missed shots that should have gone in, low energy.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    we need to ask AD and BOOGIE who they want to be coach next season
    Calipari...seems like our only hope of ever having a decent team before our lease with the SKC is up. Think about that. We don't have time for a re-build. Just my opinion.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post
    A team with AD, Boogie, Jrue and Rondo should not be about to fall under 500 after this game. No excuse at all. And you can save the strength of schedule garbage. This team is underachieving plain and simple. As a life long bulls fan that totally switched and committed to the Home team once we got the team from Charlotte its becoming hard to watch this. Even the most optimistic fans are growing frustrated and pessimistic.
    You act like those last two names are like the first two.

Buy yeah, very tough schedule so far. .500 isn't far off what you would expect just looking at the numbers. If Denver, Portland, Minny played this same schedule, likely about the same result.

Now things are about to loosen up for the next 6 weeks, and so now we'll see if there is any air in these tires.

I do love Joel and David's banter though

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    You act like those last two names are like the first two.

Buy yeah, very tough schedule so far. .500 isn't far off what you would expect just looking at the numbers. If Denver, Portland, Minny played this same schedule, likely about the same result.

Now things are about to loosen up for the next 6 weeks, and so now we'll see if there is any air in these tires.
    I don't act like and never claimed that the last two names are like the first two. Just making a point they are far from scrubs and are good role players to go along with two superstar players. Again no excuse for this team to be under 500. But again you are entitled to your opinion.
    Last edited by 23speedkillz; 12-19-2017 at 08:28 PM.

16 more turnovers tonight and you can't even blame Cousins. He had 2.

Just an undisciplined team with no focus.

I'll say it again, it starts on those sidelines.

Is what it is. 2 man team tonight offensively, and the real issues again remain defensive. You can actually win a game scoring 106, or be right there at the end. But not if you let them score 116.

Boogie+Brow: 53min 53pts (19-38) 22reb 5ast
    Other 10 Pels: 187min 53pts (15-42) 20reb 15ast

like I say, that was the pattern back in Oct/early Nov

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I’ve seen enough games to believe Gentry can’t take this team to the next level. How much evidence do we need? He’s not a good head coach. I’m sure we can find excuses to defend Gentry but the way we lose is the reason I️ think he is not the best coach. Teams with good coaches don’t have two superstars in their prime playing sloppy inconsistent basketball. Many of the games we lost were ugly and the problem can’t fall on the players because a coach is ultimately to blame for these poor performances. With Gentry we see more Turnovers, mediocre defense, lack of discipline, inability to adapt to more versatile teams, inconsistency, and a general negativity that is starting to take effect. There is no excuse. We are not improving. If there’s no significant improvement and if our record stays around .500 we should fire Gentry. We have to find a coach who can get the best from these players. If this continues the next month we should fire him in feb. I’m not for keeping Gentry even if it upsets the players if we fire him. If it’s clear that he’s part of the problem then he’s got to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basketball Guru
    we make the playoffs and the same coaching staff and GM will be back smh....think about that.......that scenario almost make you want to sacrifice the season and loose just so the coach and GM can get fired.....

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    we make the playoffs and the same coaching staff and GM will be back smh....think about that.......that scenario almost make you want to sacrifice the season and loose just so the coach and GM can get fired.....
    Who exactly can fire Demps? If it’s Benson, he’s asleep at the wheel due to old age. Lol.
    RIP FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I’ve seen enough games to believe Gentry can’t take this team to the next level. How much evidence do we need? He’s not a good head coach. I’m sure we can find excuses to defend Gentry but the way we lose is the reason I️ think he is not the best coach. Teams with good coaches don’t have two superstars in their prime playing sloppy inconsistent basketball. Many of the games we lost were ugly and the problem can’t fall on the players because a coach is ultimately to blame for these poor performances. With Gentry we see more Turnovers, mediocre defense, lack of discipline, inability to adapt to more versatile teams, inconsistency, and a general negativity that is starting to take effect. There is no excuse. We are not improving. If there’s no significant improvement and if our record stays around .500 we should fire Gentry. We have to find a coach who can get the best from these players. If this continues the next month we should fire him in feb. I’m not for keeping Gentry even if it upsets the players if we fire him. If it’s clear that he’s part of the problem then he’s got to go.

Don't disagree with the underlying premise at all, I don't think the team will ever feel really well coached because it really isn't.

But that said:
    1) now the schedule gets a lot easier for a long spell here almost until the All Star break
    2) thus far I'm not sure how much of an underachievement the Pels record is. Suppose it depends if you were convinced they would win 50+ this season. That's unlikely, but with this soft patch coming up, they could line up 45 or so fairly easily.
    3) being .500 by the All Star break would be a bit of underachievement given the easier schedule upcoming, but it would likely still have the Pels right there within a game or 2 of the playoffs. hence firing the coach in that situation would be a heck of a risk. If it did not work out, and the team spiraled, your firing would have been the move that killed the season, quite likely killed the Boogie/Brow pairing, and may have killed Brow's enthusiasm to stay in New Orleans. That's really too big a risk. Now if the team has floundered and is 23-30 by that point or some such, then by all means, there's the opportunity.
    4) and the "whether the players like it or not" thing doesn't really work either. Since the players have to play, axing a popular coach midseason is just asking for a huge lockerroom disaster/meltdown, and again, killing the season. If Gentry still has the locker room behind him, and is still in position to make the playoffs, you really can't fire him midseason unless you want to own all the possible disastrous outcomes that could follow.

We took 40 free throws compared to their 14.

That's insane. I'm sure Wizard fans feel like they win in spite of the refs.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

No Porter and we still got slaughtered .

another pathetic loss.

There’s no excuse for this record we currently have...the schedule hasn’t been ‘that’ gruelling, granted not easy, but we keep losing to teams in and around our level. (Nugs, twolves, grizz,wizz, blazers, jazz....and throw in a pathetic loss against the kings) making them have a higher standing, therefore making our schedule look harder than it is.

We have too much talent to be this average.
    '' We are here!!''

There is still time for this team to get it together. It has the talent to be a second-round playoff team, but is in danger of missing the post-season altogether unless it can fix some fundamental problems. Fixing these issues is largely a matter of want-to and know-how. Both of those things do go to coaching to some extent. Sure, it should be on these VETERAN players to understand how to play, how to close and what it takes to win night-in and night-out in the NBA. But right now they look lost.

I don't know if we are in Byron Scott-territory, but someone needs to get through to these guys pronto. Chauncey Billups the other night was commenting on the state of defense in the NBA. He was very clear--playing defense isn't "fun." Guys who talk about having "fun out there" aren't typically talking about grinding it out on the defensive end. Defense is about effort, heart and standards. It takes commitment and pride--and not just some of the time.

Right now I don't see much pride and commitment to defense from the veterans on this squad--outside of Holiday, who really works on the defensive end. In Rondo, Holiday and Moore, we have three perimeter defenders who should be at a least league-average. Behind them are two skilled 7-footers who should be erasing a lot of mistakes at the rim. We have the raw components to at least be a middle-of-the-pack NBA defense, even at the pace we play. But there are way too many half-hearted run outs to shooters on the arc, way too many guys coming down the lane on us and not paying a price when they get to Cousins or Davis. Hey, Anthony and DeMarcus--you want to get thrown out of a game? Don't do it by arguing with the refs. Do it by laying some sucker out who going to the rim to dunk on your ******. Start setting a tone on defense and begin that by clearly announcing to other teams that our paint is closed for business. I'd rather have Davis or Cousins average two or three fewer buckets a night and get two or three more blocks or give two or three more hard fouls.

Right now we are marshmallow-soft on defense, both mentally and physically. That's not about talent. That's about wan-to. That should come from the players, but certain coaches can establish a defensive identity by holding guys accountable on that end. We aren't getting it from either source.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Defense is horrible. Our turnovers hurt us, teams score at least an average of 14ppg just off our turnovers.

Teams average 111.8ppg against us. This makes us 29th in the league for points allowed. Unacceptable.

Opponents average 8.8 percent steaks per possession against us. This makes us LAST in the league in this category. Bad teams join us with this stat.

Our defense is much worse this year compared to last year. A lot of this is coaching.

Thread Information