Pelicans Report

Thread: Regarding Boogie Resigning

Regarding Boogie Resigning

The early thrust of this article is about the technical foul issue. But of equal or more interest to people wringing their hands may be the comments later in the article about Boogie's thoughts on the future. Hardly sounds like a guy with one foot out the door.

https://theundefeated.com/features/p...chnical-calls/

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Personally, I think that AD and Boogie both realize that they can win it all together. Boogie will resign with us.

It almost sounds like make the playoffs and he resigns!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    It almost sounds like make the playoffs and he resigns!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think he's made that pretty clear from the beginning. There was an interview this summer where AD mentioned that Cousins told him he had to make it to the playoffs.

I think if we make the playoffs, especially with nice seeding or make a little noise once there, he will resign.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Personally, I think that AD and Boogie both realize that they can win it all together. Boogie will resign with us.
    Agreed. Neither has played with a talent of the caliber of the other.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I really hope so. The results right now says otherwise.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    We are only 30 games into the experiment. We actually have a talented roster, which makes me believe that our issues will be ironed out soon enough.

We are only 30 games into the experiment. We actually have a talented roster, which makes me believe that our issues will be ironed out soon enough.
    Despite the hysteria, the issues are really and truly primarily defensive. And to a significant degree that can't be explained purely by roster. There is enough defensive talent on this roster for a good defensive coach to mold into a strong defensive team. Some of it has been injuries. Soho has been out all year. Allen has barely been able to play and is now out. A.D. has been in and out of the lineup. But some of it is also coaching. That's where the team can take it's great leap forward.

All this offensive complaining misses the point that with this exact same offense this team could win 60 games on the year if they combined it with a Top 10 defense. All you have to do is hold opposing teams to 105 a night (which is league average) and they could almost never keep up with a Pels team screaming along at 111-115pts a night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Despite the hysteria, the issues are really and truly primarily defensive. And to a significant degree that can't be explained purely by roster. There is enough defensive talent on this roster for a good defensive coach to mold into a strong defensive team. Some of it has been injuries. Soho has been out all year. Allen has barely been able to play and is now out. A.D. has been in and out of the lineup. But some of it is also coaching. That's where the team can take it's great leap forward.

All this offensive complaining misses the point that with this exact same offense this team could win 60 games on the year if they combined it with a Top 10 defense. All you have to do is hold opposing teams to 105 a night (which is league average) and they could almost never keep up with a Pels team screaming along at 111-115pts a night.
    The issue is the turnovers. It creates disadvantages on the defensive end as the other team is usually able to create a fast break opportunity and often times creates 4v5 defensive situations. Our defense wouldn't look half as bad if we limited the turnovers that put us into horrible situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The issue is the turnovers. It creates disadvantages on the defensive end as the other team is usually able to create a fast break opportunity and often times creates 4v5 defensive situations. Our defense wouldn't look half as bad if we limited the turnovers that put us into horrible situations.
    The thing is, as I pointed out elsewhere, the Pels' turnovers are almost identical to the Warriors' turnovers and all of 1 turnover a game more than Houston. Those teams seem to get along all right, and defensively too where they are 6th and 7th in DRTG respectively.

Here is a list of teams with bottom 5 TOV% (so takes pace out of it) and their DRTG:

26) Lakers 14.7TOV% 105.6DRTG (10th)
    27) Warriors 14.7TOV% 104.5DRTG (6th)
    28) Pelicans 14.8TOV% 110.5DRTG (27th)
    29) Heat 15.0TOV% 106.8DRTG (12th)
    30) Sixers 15.4TOV% 106.9DRTG (13th)

I mean...TOVs are bad, but that clearly doesn't function as an excuse for that DRTG. Other teams are turning it over just as much and doring just fine in DRTG. Young teams, old teams, good teams, bad teams, .500 teams. Only the Pels are combining struggles in both aspects. They don't appear to be tightly connected for the other teams. If the Pels could just emulate the defense of ANY of those other teams with similar TOV%s, they'd be flying.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 12-16-2017 at 08:52 PM.

I'd still trade him for Otto Porter or Paul George if AD finally realizes this team is at it's best when he plays C.

The thing is, as I pointed out elsewhere, the Pels' turnovers are almost identical to the Warriors' turnovers and all of 1 turnover a game more than Houston. Those teams seem to get along all right, and defensively too where they are 6th and 7th in DRTG respectively.

Here is a list of teams with bottom 5 TOV% (so takes pace out of it) and their DRTG:

I mean...TOVs are bad, but that clearly doesn't function as an excuse for that DRTG. Other teams are turning it over just as much and doring just fine in DRTG. Young teams, old teams, good teams, bad teams, .500 teams. Only the Pels are combining struggles in both aspects. They don't appear to be tightly connected for the other teams. If the Pels could just emulate the defense of ANY of those other teams with similar TOV%s, they'd be flying.
    Maybe it's the type of turnovers that sets us apart? More live ball ones or something?

The numbers I saw were different for TOV%. The bottom 5 were NO, NY, Miami, Lakers, Philly.

But let's say it's those you mentioned, The biggest difference between us and them is we have a big in Cousins who doesn't run the floor that well. GS, Houston, Lakers, Sixers, all run a lot of small ball lineups. Miami would be the only team that possibly runs a ton of big lineups but I'd have to see them more to know.

Also, WHO is doing the turnovers is key as well. That changes the nature of the fast break. Where it's 2v2 wings running back or 4v5 where Cousins falls down or complains before running back on defense. That's the thing, Cousins doesn't just lead all centers in turnovers, he leads the entire league. He averages 1.23 turnovers more a game than the next closest center and almost 2 turnovers more than the one after that.

Here's the thing too, while the number is trending down over the last month for the 2nd most turnover center, Cousins is exactly the same - leading the league. Over the last 2 weeks he is averaging 6.43 per game! Almost double the amount of the next highest center. 1.43 than the next highest PLAYER.

If you look at fast break points given up per game New Orleans ranks 29th in the entire league. Only the Warriors are ranked near us in that regard but they have WAY more firepower than we do to over come that.

It's also good to mention that our team is not trending well in this category as teams like GS, Houston, Lakers have all improved or stayed similar over the last few games, we have gotten significantly worse. Same goes for TOV% we have gotten worse over the last few games and dropped to 2nd worst in TOV%.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 12-17-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Maybe it's the type of turnovers that sets us apart? More live ball ones or something?
    I wasn't going to do many of these, but I'm preparing a big thread on the defense here to see what's up. Preliminary evidence suggests it's really not the TOs as more than a minor factor, but we'll see.

Thread Information