Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans @ Nuggets

I know Cousins loves to pad his stats but does he think turn overs will add up to a triple double?

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    You are wagering everything, including your livelihood, on hopeful domination by 2 big men...you need a single point and have the final possession...I'm utterly speechless and there needs to be some accountability addressed on the last play in regulation...
    I think the thought process went something like this: AD has a sprained ankle. Boogie has been horrendous down the stretch. Jrue has been talked about as one of the best 1 on 1 players in the league by multiple teammates the past couple weeks. You think he can either blow by or get a good shot against a guy who is a G-league level player.

Now I don't think it was the best play call by any means. I'd have still put the ball in AD's hands even with a sprained ankle. Or put it in Rondo's hands and bring AD up for a screen.

However, my frustration isn't about the final play. It's the series of events that led to that play... the last 7 minutes of the game: Jrue turnover, Boogie forcing a shot and getting blocked, Jrue miss, Moore turnover, Cousins turnover, Cousins turnover, AD turnover (ankle), Cousins turnover, AD dunk, Jrue miss, Jrue miss but AD off reb and score, Boogie 1/2 at the line, Boogie and 1, then that play.

From 7:06 left until 2:20 left we scored a grand total of 0 points. Against a denver team that is horrid on defense. That is just flat out trash. And guess how many shots our best player over that time? Yep, none

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    I was there when they were 18-64 and Dan Dickau was the man.

I don’t have to prove ******** to anyone. I want basketball in New Orleans more than I want to see Boogie, AD, et al be successful. That’s all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a game we will live
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    It's a game we will live
    You’re happy with mediocrity. Please block me and move on with your life. K? Thanks bye.

We are mentally weak. Games like this will matters in April standings.

I wonder if a center has ever turned the ball over 9 times in back to back games

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Rationalize this all you want, but this is a team that merely likes to play basketball. It doesn’t matter whether they win or lose. As long as the checks clear. Our city has been through too much and we deserve better than this. I’m done rooting for this mediocrity. They don’t care. It’s as simple as that. Demps is trash.
    Gentry is trash.
    AD is soft.
    Boogie is mental.

It won’t work. Have fun rationalizing this. I hope you find better use of your time. Peace..

It's hard man. I stepped away for a couple of days and came back to this. It made me realize why I stepped away in the first place.

This team is the epitome of mediocrity. Zero mental toughness, absolutely inconsistent, and ******** poor basketball IQ.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    It's hard man. I stepped away for a couple of days and came back to this. Made me realize why I stepped away in the first place. This team is the epitome of mediocrity.
    I can assume you've been stepped away from pels basketball for roughly the last decade in that case?

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post

It's a stupid system when your center is playing point center.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    I can assume you've been stepped away from pels basketball for roughly the last decade in that case?
    You do that. I really don't care. I don't need to prove my fanhood to anyone, especially not you.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-15-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I think the thought process went something like this: AD has a sprained ankle. Boogie has been horrendous down the stretch. Jrue has been talked about as one of the best 1 on 1 players in the league by multiple teammates the past couple weeks. You think he can either blow by or get a good shot against a guy who is a G-league level player.

Now I don't think it was the best play call by any means. I'd have still put the ball in AD's hands even with a sprained ankle. Or put it in Rondo's hands and bring AD up for a screen.

However, my frustration isn't about the final play. It's the series of events that led to that play... the last 7 minutes of the game: Jrue turnover, Boogie forcing a shot and getting blocked, Jrue miss, Moore turnover, Cousins turnover, Cousins turnover, AD turnover (ankle), Cousins turnover, AD dunk, Jrue miss, Jrue miss but AD off reb and score, Boogie 1/2 at the line, Boogie and 1, then that play.

From 7:06 left until 2:20 left we scored a grand total of 0 points. Against a denver team that is horrid on defense. That is just flat out trash. And guess how many shots our best player over that time? Yep, none
    I am in total agreement and that is on the players.. never should have been in a situation for a final play call, as you say, but we were... and Gentry failed miserably...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    You are kinda confused.

Pels have been one of the more positive stories in the NBA so far. Just as soon as you get away from actual Pels fans who just make me SMH sometimes. A lot of you guys sound just...damaged. "Oh no! It's all over! OMG its the worst thing ever! Oh it's terrible. oh we have no chance. Oh the future is bleak! Oh! Oh! Oh!"

I mean, CALM DOWN. Wow.

team is .500, has played btw the 5th toughest schedule in the league so far. Recent article suggests Cousins has a legit interest in resigning. And the schedule is about to get a lot easier post-Christmas. You will in fact survive. It's ok. Really.
    You need to stop rationalizing and watch the game. DeMarcus Cousins did not and does not play winning basketball. This a team is scared to lose him and they play through him when they don't need to. That Nuggets team with OUT a healthy Jokic and Milsap was as beatable as any team I've seen suit up this year. Your stats, with all due respect, mean nothing. I understand that there has been a wave of negativity on this board the past few months, and you've dedicated yourself to dying on that hill, but enough is enough. Message board fans are not supposed to care more than the guys on the floor. That's a product of our culture and until it changes we are ALL spinning our wheels.
    Last edited by DefensiveMind; 12-15-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    It's a stupid system when your center is playing point center.
    It's fine if you have a center like Jokic who doesn't have a negative basketball IQ and doesn't try to force dumb passes. Denver's offense last year with Finch was incredible with Jokic running it. He makes the pass if it's there. If not, he doesn't. Boogie is like someone playing Madden who sees the play and predetermines he's going to pass it to X whether he's open or not.

What's super frustrating though is that overall our offense is still top 10. If Cousins just had an average basketball IQ, we could be one of the best in the league. It's tough because he's so talented. He made a bunch of 3s tonight. He had that big and 1 near the end. But you simply can't consistently win with someone like that having such a prominent role on your team. Seems like our last 20 games are WLWLWLWLWLWLWLWLWLWL. I feel like the solution would be to just simply lower his usage which going into tonight was 4th highest in the NBA. I think you gotta bring up AD's usage which is 39th. But who knows what the coaches are telling these guys

What kind of role did Boogie play in Sacramento?

Surely as their best player he would have averaged 18 turnovers trying to do everything every possession? And that's not even hyperbole

I enjoyed those Dan Dickau, Jackson Vroman, Lee Nailon, DX days. The team sucked, but they were fun to watch because you weren't expecting them to win.

This team has talent and is playing sub .500 against .500+ teams.

If we make the playoffs we will be one and done.

It would have been nice to get a deeper bench, who are some realistic options out there?

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I am in total agreement and that is on the players.. never should have been in a situation for a final play call, as you say, but we were... and Gentry failed miserably...
    That's fair. I wouldn't be mad at all if they fired Gentry. Don't think it's gonna happen though with all the coaches Cousins has gone through already in his career

That's fair. I wouldn't be mad at all if they fired Gentry. Don't think it's gonna happen though with all the coaches Cousins has gone through already in his career
    I wonder why coaches keep getting fired around that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I enjoyed those Dan Dickau, Jackson Vroman, Lee Nailon, DX days. The team sucked, but they were fun to watch because you weren't expecting them to win.

This team has talent and is playing sub .500 against .500+ teams.

If we make the playoffs we will be one and done.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    If this team sticks with Holiday- AD- Boogie as their core moving forward, they will never make it past the second round of the playoffs. Never. And it would take A LOT of moving pieces to even get to that point.

Right now? Our ceiling is a 1st round beatdown. Exciting times.

Guy's it's a game of basketball.
    Yeah it sucks that they lost especially when the played well for 3.5 qtrs but it's not real life.

Them winning or losing isn't going to make the world a better place. Who cares. The players don't seem to care as much as the fans do.

A c c o u n t a b i l i t y

At some point Cousins saying he takes responsibility doesn't mean jack ****. He either shows it through his actions or he should be moved. Either Gentry makes adjustments to his system or he should be fired.

Our last 5 losses all coming from a double digit leads and on the heels of extreme amounts of turnovers is telling.

Fix it or get people in place who will.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Guy's it's a game of basketball.
    Yeah it sucks that they lost especially when the played well for 3.5 qtrs but it's not real life.

Them winning or losing isn't going to make the world a better place. Who cares. The players don't seem to care as much as the fans do.
    When the Saints won the Super Bowl, crime was down in New Orleans. So yes, the city itself would be a better place if the Pels could get it together. Hahaha.
    RIP FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    I wonder why coaches keep getting fired around that guy.
    And I wonder why every team he has been on has missed the playoffs.

But what are you supposed to do in the Pelicans' situation as is? There's no denying he's extremely talented. There's no denying AD and him at least seem to be really good friends now.

You simply can't be a successful team with him being used as much as he has been used in his career, but what is the alternative? Would he get pissed with a back seat role? Do we even have enough talent on this roster to give him a back seat role?

And I wonder why every team he has been on has missed the playoffs.

But what are you supposed to do in the Pelicans' situation as is? There's no denying he's extremely talented. There's no denying AD and him at least seem to be really good friends now.

You simply can't be a successful team with him being used as much as he has been used in his career, but what is the alternative? Would he get pissed with a back seat role? Do we even have enough talent on this roster to give him a back seat role?
    The alternative is to move on from him before committing long-term. Of course, that won't happen. But let's not pretend like that option doesn't exist.

Thread Information