Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelicans @ Nuggets

NBA Pelicans @ Nuggets

Important match against our rivals for playoff spot/position.

Injury report:
    Pelicans: Tony Allen OUT, Solomon Hill OUT
    Nuggets: Nikola Jokic OUT, Paul Millsap OUT, Will Barton day-to-day

We need to take advantage of their injuries(starting front line OUT), and take this win.
    Bookmaker's have Pels as favourites, however i have a bad feeling about this one :/ Hope im wrong.

Hope we get a landslide. 15+ point margin of victory, AD and Boogie with 30 each and 20+ from Jrue.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrakar View Post
    Important match against our rivals for playoff spot/position.

Injury report:
    Pelicans: Tony Allen OUT, Solomon Hill OUT
    Nuggets: Nikola Jokic OUT, Paul Millsap OUT, Will Barton day-to-day

We need to take advantage of their injuries(starting front line OUT), and take this win.
    Bookmaker's have Pels as favourites, however i have a bad feeling about this one :/ Hope im wrong.
    Unfortunately it seems likely Jokic is going to be back: http://www.espn.com/nba/preview?gameId=400975178

This is away in Denver so it's going to be a hard game no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    This is away in Denver so it's going to be a hard game no matter what.
    There are two entirely different Denver Nuggets teams, and presumably some of it is due to the altitude cheat:

Nuggets Home: 10-2
    Nuggets Away: 5-11

unfortunately this is Nuggets home

P.S. the Rockets and Warriors are only 10-3 at home. Spurs are 13-2 though.

Yeah, this is going to be a difficult game to win. I’m going into it keeping my expectations low but hopes high. I’d like to see another game where Jrue goes off while AD and Cousins get their 25-30.

I think we can do it. Obviously it's true that the Nuggets are fantastic at home, but our offense both at home and away has been crushing recently, and the Nuggets are a pretty dreadful defensive team. Admittedly, our defensive rating is slightly worse than even theirs, but their offense doesn't seem to be good enough to outscored ours (their offensive rating at home is 111.6, ours on the road is 115.9 in the month of December).

So hopefully, our firepower should overcome their home cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Hope we get a landslide. 15+ point margin of victory, AD and Boogie with 30 each and 20+ from Jrue.
    I'll allow it

mais yeah but in reality we will win/lose by 5 after being down or up double digits and it will be close at the very end.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Defense is adjusting to the pick and roll. We need to switch more and bring AD out closer to the lane to stop points in the paint. Our defense is too conservative. Our transition defense is better than average but I’m starting to think we need to start running full speed back to set up our defense to minimize fast break points. Do y’all feel like they can improve defense?

When we shoot we should only fight for offensive rebounds against slower paced teams. We need to focus on transition defense and defensive rebounding. What do y’all think? Should we play less man to man and do more of a zone defense? I️ really think if we improve our defense we will be a solid playoff team 5th seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Defense is adjusting to the pick and roll. We need to switch more and bring AD out closer to the lane to stop points in the paint. Our defense is too conservative. Our transition defense is better than average but I’m starting to think we need to start running full speed back to set up our defense to minimize fast break points.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And, I hate it when three men are already set up for D and the ball is still bouncing around on the rim. What's wrong with offensive rebounds and second shots vs leaving too soon to set up for the break? Too often we take long three's and no one is there to get a rebound.
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpnose View Post
    And, I hate it when three men are already set up for D and the ball is still bouncing around on the rim. What's wrong with offensive rebounds and second shots vs leaving too soon to set up for the break? Too often we take long three's and no one is there to get a rebound.
    Discouraging thing is the Pels have a smallball philosophy on offense -- they don't realize the value of their size inside, and are already supposedly giving up on the offensive glass in order to get back earlier. They have the biggest starting frontcourt in the league (when A.D. plays) and are only 23rd in offensive rebounding a game. So it's not like they can back off the offensive glass much more than they are doing. They already have their 270lb center standing at the 3pt line, I suppose they could order A.D. to retreat out there too, but that's about it. If Tony Allen wasn't old man sneaking in there for the occasional o-reb, they might be dead last.

If ever we were gonna get Denver at home it's now

Not good for Utah

But OKC and Portland both looking good on the road so far

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post

Not good for Utah

But OKC and Portland both looking good on the road so far
    One of the more amazing stats this year has actually been how much better Utah has done WITHOUT Gobert. I consider that an obvious anomaly, but I do think there might be an issue of Gobert/Favors/Rubio = just too little spacing when altogether. In any case they are only 6-11 with him playing (likely 6-12 if you count this game), and went 7-4 without him.

Denver is starting someone named Torrey Craig tonight. I'm sorry, who?

Torrey Craig man! Don't you follow the league AT ALL? Jeesh!

27 year old, um, "rookie", off a 2 way contract who had a legendary career at...University of South Carolina...Upstate. Upstate? Well, so says bball-reference, so I guess that's the deal.

Has played 1 game in the league, and notched 6 minutes and 1 NBA rebound. People all over Colorado are wearing his jersey now.

Somehow seeing this did not surprise me in the least. There's sometimes multiple straight possessions where AD (still our best offensive player, in my view) doesn't even get near the ball, let alone has it run through him. It causes a lot of our dead ball situations, where he fights to get open only to be completely ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Torrey Craig man! Don't you follow the league AT ALL? Jeesh!

27 year old, um, "rookie", off a 2 way contract who had a legendary career at...University of South Carolina...Upstate. Upstate? Well, so says bball-reference, so I guess that's the deal.

Has played 1 game in the league, and notched 6 minutes and 1 NBA rebound. People all over Colorado are wearing his jersey now.
    So basically you can pencil him in for 20 points tonight

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    They're just toying with us the **************s
    @DanielVeuleman

Somehow seeing this did not surprise me in the least. There's sometimes multiple straight possessions where AD (still our best offensive player, in my view) doesn't even get near the ball, let alone has it run through him. It causes a lot of our dead ball situations, where he fights to get open only to be completely ignored.
    That really doesn't happen very often because Boogie has the ball as he's always looking for him. Also Mason Ginsberg is being a dip.

As I mentioned in the other thread the offense is absolutely screaming right now, and part of that system is having the center often BE the PG. Cousins isn't touching it 89 times a game because he's shooting it 89 times a game. He's touching it 89 times a game because half the offense runs through him (and also btw, hence the high turnover numbers).

A.D.'s shots are down, but his efficiency is way way up. Basically I think his toughest shots have been siphoned off and absorbed by others, and he's down to a pure core of easy high efficiency makes (for him)

So it's gonna be a no defense night, eh

Boston have chosen a great time to poo the bed v Jazz

Well...quite a start

WHY YOU NEVER PLAY ANY DEFENSE EVER???

Thread Information