.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
Results 151 to 173 of 173

Thread: Philadelphia 76ers vs New Orleans Pelicans 12-10-2017

  1. #151
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Pelicanidae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,050
    As someone who just never ended up watching that much Rondo (didn't watch the NBA 10 years ago when he was winning the chip with the Celtics, didn't watch Sacramento or the Bulls last few years), I obviously knew on an intellectual level that was an elite PG and had heard all the stories about his IQ. I'd seen the highlight clips and some big games. I knew he was an elite point guard.

    But man, seeing it in person game after game is something special.

    "Kahwi Leonard will be a Pelican. Please make me a signature." - Silverfoxx

  2. #152
    The Statlines are nice, but this team has to play better defensively being 20th or worse like we are now in defensive efficiency is just not good enough. Hill can not get back sooner and we need to start showing more energy on that end.

  3. #153
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! AusPel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    As someone who just never ended up watching that much Rondo (didn't watch the NBA 10 years ago when he was winning the chip with the Celtics, didn't watch Sacramento or the Bulls last few years), I obviously knew on an intellectual level that was an elite PG and had heard all the stories about his IQ. I'd seen the highlight clips and some big games. I knew he was an elite point guard.

    But man, seeing it in person game after game is something special.
    Do you think Rondo will be on the team next year?

  4. #154
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Pelicanidae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,050
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Do you think Rondo will be on the team next year?
    I hope so. I think if we make the playoffs (which I believe we will) then Cousins will resign, and if Cousins resigns it makes keeping Rondo on a small contract exponentially more likely.

  5. #155
    AD was limping at the end of the game, hopefully that is something to worry about.

  6. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by shanesy View Post
    AD was limping at the end of the game, hopefully that is something to worry about.
    * hopefully *not anything to worry about ; )

  7. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    The Statlines are nice, but this team has to play better defensively being 20th or worse like we are now in defensive efficiency is just not good enough. Hill can not get back sooner and we need to start showing more energy on that end.
    Yea Solomon returning is definitely something to look forward to. With the offense clicking like it has been, and knowing his defensive smarts and leadership, he could be the missing piece.

  8. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    * hopefully *not anything to worry about ; )
    with the back to back, in Houston, vs.a streaking team with the best record in the West...chances of him playing seem slim.

    that's why getting this win after the Sacramento flub was important.it's the difference between hovering right at .500, or falling to 13-15 and being an L or two away from some collars beginning to feel tight

  9. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    That's ok. Would Portland ever let McCollum run the point?
    First, that's a silly question because they have an All-Star caliber point in Damian Lillard.

    Second, it's not about who is playing the 1 and who is playing the 2. Those are just labels. It's about having a perimeter player who can dribble a basketball competently and create players for himself and his teammates at a somewhat elite level. If Portland needed McColloum to be their lead guard, he absolutely could handle it. He's one of the top offensive guards in the league. The same cannot be said about Jrue, yet we're paying him 25m per year.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-10-2017 at 09:50 PM.

    "I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

  10. #160
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Pelicanidae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,050
    Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    It's not about who is playing the 1 and who is playing the 2. It's about having a perimeter player who can dribble a basketball competently and create players for himself and his teammates at a somewhat elite level. If Portland needed McColloum to be their lead guard, he absolutely could handle it. The same cannot be said about Jrue, yet we're paying him 25m per year.
    Your problem is that Jrue can't do something we aren't asking him to do. He also can't do windmill dunks or triple double, but who cares as long as we are winning games? Obviously it would be nice if he had other skills as well, and I'm not even talking about his contract which has been beaten so far to death that you're just pounding dust at this point, but he's doing what he's been asked to do fine. He's looked great recently. Not just decent, but great.

    I get that there's room for improvement, always, but is the time to be talking about everything he doesn't give us immediately after he scores 17 points in the 4th to pull us out a win? I'd be celebrating right now.

  11. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Your problem is that Jrue can't do something we aren't asking him to do. He also can't do windmill dunks or triple double, but who cares as long as we are winning games? Obviously it would be nice if he had other skills as well, and I'm not even talking about his contract which has been beaten so far to death that you're just pounding dust at this point, but he's doing what he's been asked to do fine. He's looked great recently. Not just decent, but great.

    I get that there's room for improvement, always, but is the time to be talking about everything he doesn't give us immediately after he scores 17 points in the 4th to pull us out a win? I'd be celebrating right now.
    Uh, I don't have a problem. I was lending my perspective on a disagreement between two posters. And yes, I can lend my perspective, positive or negative, whenever I please.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-10-2017 at 10:06 PM.

  12. #162
    Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! AusPel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,536
    Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    First, that's a silly question because they have an All-Star caliber point in Damian Lillard.
    And we have a HOF point guard too still in his primeish

    You say Jrue is not one of the top SGs in the league which is reasonable, but lately he is putting up top 5 SG numbers

  13. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    That's only relevant because when I say you can't play through it, I mean it. My point about the hip flexor is that no matter how tough you are, even for a relatively minor strain that clears up in a few days, it really doesn't give you an option to tough it out. If it's hurt, you are just debilitated. It's not about fighting through pain, the leg just doesn't work. So if A.D. is still out there, and still functioning, basically it's not hurt (at least not the flexor), as in injured. He might feel it, but once it gets hurt, you can't use it anymore and he'd be obviously hobbled.
    You cannot make that claim at all about AD. You have no knowledge the extent of his injury, no knowledge of his actual body, no knowledge of whether he reinjured it or not, or even what toll professional basketball would take on the injury. Basically you know *nothing* about AD's situation except you claim you had a similar injury and it crippled you.

    OK great. But how your body responded means literally nothing when we are discussing how a 7' tall 250 pound professional basketball player in the NBA can handle the injury. To sit here and make judgments about how injured AD must be or even to try and claim he is a hypochondriac and isn't even really injured *based on your experiences and nothing else* is asinine.

    We've already had someone else on this forum claim they did exactly what you are saying is impossible and played through the injury while playing college basketball.

  14. #164
    My only question is, how do we deal with AD tomorrow? Sit him completely? Play him and just restrict his minutes? I couldn't see the live feed, but I saw that he was in pain but gutted out the last few minutes.

  15. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    My only question is, how do we deal with AD tomorrow? Sit him completely? Play him and just restrict his minutes? I couldn't see the live feed, but I saw that he was in pain but gutted out the last few minutes.
    He should absolutely sit and sit the required time until he is 100% healthy. With his style of play its clear he will just continue to reagravate it unless he can get fully past it. These games are important, yes, but with the history that our medical staff and organization has with injuries they should be extremely careful with all of them.

  16. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    And we have a HOF point guard too still in his primeish

    You say Jrue is not one of the top SGs in the league which is reasonable, but lately he is putting up top 5 SG numbers
    Please. Damian Lillard and Rajon Rondo do not belong in the same conversation. That's homerism at its finest.

    But that's neither here nor there. Address the second point. You know, the aspect of my response that actually addressed your original post.

    The difference between Holiday and C.J. is Jrue needs a competent decision maker and ball handler like Rondo to thrive. C.J. does not. He can clearly do those things on his own, whether he's playing PG or SG. That's where your comment failed to hold any value. And that's what you failed to address in your response.

    Jrue negates to Rondo by necessity. C.J. (sometimes) negates to Lillard because there's one basketball.

    Management understood this dynamic early and made the right decision in seeking a point guard to play alongside Jrue. And that decision is certainly paying dividends. But to act like an analogous dynamic is responsibile for C.J. playing the 2 is ignorant. They are two entirely different offensive talents.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-11-2017 at 02:55 AM.

  17. #167
    That game from Boogie last night was awfull. He was just superlazy, awfull bodylanguage. Getting outrebounded by Booker and Johnson? cmn...
    Its always nice to get these ugly wins, but last night was one of the examples why Gentry's "im friend with players" style doesnt get u anywhere...

  18. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrakar View Post
    That game from Boogie last night was awfull. He was just superlazy, awfull bodylanguage. Getting outrebounded by Booker and Johnson? cmn...
    Its always nice to get these ugly wins, but last night was one of the examples why Gentry's "im friend with players" style doesnt get u anywhere...
    I agree.
    CAW CAW!!!

    -Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

  19. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrakar View Post
    That game from Boogie last night was awfull. He was just superlazy, awfull bodylanguage. Getting outrebounded by Booker and Johnson? cmn...
    Its always nice to get these ugly wins, but last night was one of the examples why Gentry's "im friend with players" style doesnt get u anywhere...
    Wait...how did the rebounding become mostly Boogie's fault? Not only did he lead the team in rebounding on the night, but all 9 of his boards were defensive, and he did it in only 29 minutes because of foul trouble. In fact until A.D. got a late game burst of energy that helped push things open, nobody else had more than 4. A.D. finished with 8, but it took him 40 minutes.

    Defensive Rebounds
    Cousins: 9 in 29 minutes = 1 every 3.2min
    Everybody else: 19 in 211 minutes = 1 every 11.1min

    DReb% for game
    Cousins 29.8
    Davis 16.6
    Cunningham 13.0
    Holiday 9.3
    Miller 6.4
    Rondo 5.1
    Moore 2.6
    Clark 0.0

    and Cousins was the guy letting the other team rebound over him?

    He also btw scored 23pts on 10 shots, which works out as a mere .824TS% and only had 2 TOs.

  20. #170
    That looks like u didnt watch the game, and u just looked at boxscore. If u didnt watch, download 3rd quarter and just see the effort on the glass.
    Im Boogie fan since beggining, i love those "world against me" type of players, but that game last night was anything but good. If he showed just a bit more energy and hustle, it would be easy win.
    Davis was also bad in rebounding but man of his size can be pushed around, but Boogie ... Without Embiid on the floor he should dominate.
    Even with lazy game like that he had nice stats, imagine what would he do if he played at 100%.

  21. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrakar View Post
    That looks like u didnt watch the game, and u just looked at boxscore. If u didnt watch, download 3rd quarter and just see the effort on the glass.
    Im Boogie fan since beggining, i love those "world against me" type of players, but that game last night was anything but good. If he showed just a bit more energy and hustle, it would be easy win.
    Davis was also bad in rebounding but man of his size can be pushed around, but Boogie ... Without Embiid on the floor he should dominate.
    Even with lazy game like that he had nice stats, imagine what would he do if he played at 100%.
    I don't think he had a terribly good game, but am pointing out how silly it is to single him out. His effort on the d-glass was here and there, but that's a full here above any of his skirt wearing teammates on the night.

  22. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Please. Damian Lillard and Rajon Rondo do not belong in the same conversation. That's homerism at its finest.

    But that's neither here nor there. Address the second point. You know, the aspect of my response that actually addressed your original post.

    The difference between Holiday and C.J. is Jrue needs a competent decision maker and ball handler like Rondo to thrive. C.J. does not. He can clearly do those things on his own, whether he's playing PG or SG. That's where your comment failed to hold any value. And that's what you failed to address in your response.

    Jrue negates to Rondo by necessity. C.J. (sometimes) negates to Lillard because there's one basketball.

    Management understood this dynamic early and made the right decision in seeking a point guard to play alongside Jrue. And that decision is certainly paying dividends. But to act like an analogous dynamic is responsibile for C.J. playing the 2 is ignorant. They are two entirely different offensive talents.
    First of all Rondo has a much more decorated resume than Lillard.

    Secondly, you have never seen McCollum play PG full time for an extended amount of games to make the claims you are making. You saying a guy averaging under 3apg is better at running PG than a guy who averages is 6.5apg on his career is a stretch.

    Jrue is averaging 22ppg, 4.5apg while playing elite defense over the last 10 games, and just scored 19 points in the 4th to win us the game last night. You're picking an odd time to complain about him.

  23. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    First of all Rondo has a much more decorated resume than Lillard.

    Secondly, you have never seen McCollum play PG full time for an extended amount of games to make the claims you are making. You saying a guy averaging under 3apg is better at running PG than a guy who averages is 6.5apg on his career is a stretch.

    Jrue is averaging 22ppg, 4.5apg while playing elite defense over the last 10 games, and just scored 19 points in the 4th to win us the game last night. You're picking an odd time to complain about him.
    Vince Carter also has a more decorated resume than Lillard. I guess that makes him the better player. This is a what have you done for me lately league. Rondo has been a fine pickup. But don't compare him to Lillard. If you think that any, and I mean any, GM would take Rondo over Lillard, you're beyond dilusional.

    And of course Holiday has averaged more assists than Lillard over the course of his career. Holiday has literally played point guard for 7 of his 8 years in the league. McCollum has played alongside Lillard over the course of his career. But hey McCollum has averaged 0.9 less turnovers per game! He must be the better ball handler. I too can take stats out of context when convenient.

    Saying McCollum would be a better primary ball handler is not a stretch. Is there a more limited sample size? Yes. But Jrue was literally moved to the 2 because he couldn't handle that responsibility effectively. Do you think Dell cared that Jrue averaged 6 assists per game? No. But he used his eyes and saw what needed to be done. Just like we all did. Jrue needs another ball handler to play effectively. And the results indicate so far that Dell made the right decision.

    If that constitutes "complaining," then so be it. I'm going to call out BS when I see it.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 12-11-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •