Pelicans Report

Thread: What starting lineup should be..

What starting lineup should be..

From what I have seen so far Rondo needs to be moved to the bench with Miller in the starting lineup. Sure Rondo throws some nice passes throughout the game but he is so much better once the game is flowing and lineups are changing. He kills the spacing in the starting unit and unless things are going perfect for us we just start to slowly get blown out because of how tough things come playing 4 on 5 offense. The second he comes out our team makes a huge comeback. I love Rondo for this team but Miller in the starting unit makes so much more sense imo. Let Jrue/Moore/Miller/AD/Boogie start the games which provides us with the great spacing and deadly 3 pointer shooting we need with Miller and Moore on the wing while Jrue can get hot. Milllers defense has looked very solid as well deserving a spot. We need to get the best starting unit on the floor and that 5 would be it. Stagger Rondo through the game where he can still be an asset as he has been.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 11-23-2017 at 12:31 AM.

Too early. Correlation is not causation. If the problem persists, then you can tinker with the line-up, but I'd give it at least another 10 games or so. I think Rondo will get better integrated as time goes on.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I think either keeping it the way it is, or having Moore come in as the 6th man is a fine starting lineup. You can't not start Rondo. Need a player to control the pace. Jrue can't do that as well as Rondo can.

I think the 3 guard starting unit is a problem. Give Miller a start, hes got a better TS% than anyone on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    I think the 3 guard starting unit is a problem. Give Miller a start, hes got a better TS% than anyone on the team.
    I agree. Miller should start at the 3 spot. Rondo is fine at the point he does so much that doesn't show on the stat sheet. But Miller at the 3 would space the floor giving the unit someone that can hit the open looks the bigs create, and possibly help with the slow starts from the starting unit. Let Moore come of the bench.

People are way too fixated on who "starts". I care a whole lot more who closes out games. People are also assuming if Miller starts that his play would stay the same. He is currently playing great in his reserve role coming off the bench. While it's great to think his play would improve our starting lineup, I don't know if I would be willing to ask even more of him. Miller seems to play best with one of our bigs on the bench and against backups. We still need a scoring punch off the bench as well. I actually feel he might be worse starting and it might mess with his confidence, plus his current role will be exactly this once Hill returns. This isn't 2k where you can just plug players in and they will perform the same.

As far as Rondo goes, I don't trust any numbers this early on with that Denver game throwing everything off and it being an extremely small sample size.

I know fans are eager to tinker with things and constantly want the best but it's clear Gentry sees the issue too. Give it time to work out.

When Hill comes back, we won't look so thin at the 3. What it all boils down to is- can we find a way to make our guards more efficient? Moore and Jrue are 50/50 to be a liability on any given night. Is it down to Moore being forced into a position he isn't comfortable with? What is the issue with Jrue? We all know he has the makings of a very good player, but he either looks anxious or disinterested every other game. If we can get these two playing the caliber they are capable of, we will be a much better team. They are holding us back from being in that upper echelon atm.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I think Miller's scoring off the bench balances us out. Clump all our scoring in too many of the same minutes of the game, and you don't build big leads like we did last night.

For now, I think our lineup and rotations are fine. I just wish we had more options in the frontcourt and one more athletic player above 6'5".

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I think Miller's scoring off the bench balances us out. Clump all our scoring in too many of the same minutes of the game, and you don't build big leads like we did last night.

For now, I think our lineup and rotations are fine. I just wish we had more options in the frontcourt and one more athletic player above 6'5".
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    I think either keeping it the way it is, or having Moore come in as the 6th man is a fine starting lineup. You can't not start Rondo. Need a player to control the pace. Jrue can't do that as well as Rondo can.
    I wonder how Jrue would look in a 6th man role. Manu Ginobli has been more effective off the bench throughout his career.

Just figuring out the minutes and roles for Cunningham, Miller, Moore, and Allen would go a long way to finding the consistency they are lacking.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Basketball Guru
    A healthy rondo has to start on this team....

what the hell,,,ill start,,rondo,,,clark,,moore,,AD,,boogie...

second unit,,,nelson,,jrue,,miller,,dante,,AD/boogie...jrue can focus on attacking and scoring with unit and dont have the pressure of trying to set up AD and boogie.......let miller continual to come off the bench where he seem comfortable and know he will be look at to shoot the ball.......

Majority of us think we are a playoff team so imo we dont need our 1st round pick so get rid of it to ship asik and find a PF/C that can be our 3rd big because we need him bad on the second unit.....

Hill will be back so that will help with the SF problem going into the playoffs if he is fully healthy....

or just leave the lineup as is and keep making the right rotation according to the opp lineup and hope the team plays hard and fight for wins.....

Thread Information