Pelicans Report

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans at Nuggets 11/17/17

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    yeah, give me some Gortat
    Gimme dat Gortat

I wouldn't be unhappy with that Haul for Cousins

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    It's a shame we don't have players of the caliber of Manu and Tony Parker, or Avery Johnson and Sean Elliot, or a coach of Pops level, because a pairing of AD and Boogie should be playing bully ball, and just dominating down low, or up top, or wherever the hell they want to dominate. That style of ball can still work, we just need to find the coach to make it work.
    Do not worry, we have brainiacs on this board that will soon score Otto Porter and a 34yr old Marcin Gortat for DeMarcus Cousins, and then everything will be fixed.

The hardest thing to do in sports is to land a superstar, or so it's been said, and now that we have 2 superstars we want to trade one away for Gortat and Otto Porter? What the hell is y'all doin?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

The hardest thing to do in sports is to land a superstar, or so it's been said, and now that we have 2 superstars we want to trade one away for Gortat and Otto Porter? What the hell is y'all doin?
    I believe this is a succinct explanation:

Thank You, starting over hoping to get back to this point in the next 8 years does not sound like something I want to buy front row seats for.
    Last edited by redrum; 11-19-2017 at 02:26 AM.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Gortat is from Poland!!!

Are thy really superstars though? They would be a better team if they indeed were superstars.

Banned
    Trading DC is a good move for the Pelicans. But if he gets hurt and sits all year or his production is slowed down the market value for his services fall big time. The franchise has a 1st round pick plus players along with a big salary investment in DC.
    The Pelicans would need to get at minimum of that back in return. It obvious DC is all about his Brand. He is only loyal to DC. Around league circles he is a coach killer loser. The Celtics mgmt didn’t want no part of him during the trade deadline along with many other teams. Let’s see what happens at the end of November. It will be 21 games into the season at that point.
    If we are below .500 then it’s only downhill from there for the Pelicans. Shopping DC to a playoff team should start at that time.
    Honestly I wish we had a better fixture of a team for him he has plenty of talent he just needs a good supporting cast which we don’t have that to offer him.
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 11-19-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanFever View Post
    Are thy really superstars though? They would be a better team if they indeed were superstars.
    Exactly. Superstars like Harden and others get their teams to the playoffs consistently. Cousins got shut down/ out-played by Valacunias and then the next game he throws up a stinker against Denver's bigs. And that would almost be excusable every few games, but the way he plays is so discouraging. The complaining to the ref after every play, and if he misses a shot, it's a near-automatic 4 on 5 fast break for the other team, because he's going to take a few seconds to look at the ref and then do a soft jog back on defense. He also is terrible at leaving shooters open, and I'm starting to see the other team's game plan is to put him in the pick and roll, and it's usually points.

He's a damn talented player, for sure. And I hope they get it clicking on all cylinders now that Rondo's back. But yea, guess I'm crazy for seeing how a high IQ, team-first, defense-playing, league-best 3-pt. shooter like Porter Jr. at 24 years old would be a great fit if they go a different direction. Gortat would be a bonus: he makes the right plays, doesn't turn the ball over, and can keep AD from guarding big, bruising centers. We'll see how it all plays out, they're probably all-in with AD/DMC pairing so I'll try and enjoy it.

I understand the frustrations with Cousins, but he has 7 years of bad habits to break out of combined with him playing a career high in minutes. When you're exhausted it's easy to revert back to bad habits. The quicker we can get Cousins down to 32-34mpg the better. Which is really ideal for a guy his size in today's game with all the running they do. Look at all the Centers around the league none of them are playing over 34mpg, with most playing closer to 30mpg. Give it time Cousins is a superstar player. OKC has a worse record than us, nobody is questioning if Westbrook or George are superstars.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I understand the frustrations with Cousins, but he has 7 years of bad habits to break out of combined with him playing a career high in minutes. When you're exhausted it's easy to revert back to bad habits. The quicker we can get Cousins down to 32-34mpg the better. Which is really ideal for a guy his size in today's game with all the running they do. Look at all the Centers around the league none of them are playing over 34mpg, with most playing closer to 30mpg. Give it time Cousins is a superstar player. OKC has a worse record than us, nobody is questioning if Westbrook or George are superstars.
    No way man, we need to replace Cousins with 34 year old Gortat and Otto Porter and then we'd be smashing down the WCF door. Definitely. It's a flawless solution tbh.
    Basketball.

Thank God for my Saints.. Who Dat.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Its also a five person game, as OKC also shows us.

As good as Cousins and Davis have been overall this season, they could be that much better with just an average small forward that can hit 35-40% on catch and shoot threes. To draw off some of the double and triple teams. If Rondo had been around from the start, and even a more healthy Ajinca to relieve some minutes off Davis and Cousins workload.

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Gortat is from Poland!!!
    And someone I wanted 2 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanFever View Post
    Ad and boogie and our first for giannis, Parker and their first.

If people seriously want to trade Cousins then they must also want to trade AD because there is no way that AD will be happy with the team if we move Cousins. You are effect saying you want the team to rebuild without either.

For better or worse we are tied to those two players unless one of them decides to walk.

AD and Boogie are the best duo that this team has ever had. Zo/LJ, Davis/Mashburn, CP3/DX, our current duo really are two of the top 20 players in the NBA. If we can't win with them, then it's certainly not their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If people seriously want to trade Cousins then they must also want to trade AD because there is no way that AD will be happy with the team if we move Cousins. You are effect saying you want the team to rebuild without either.

For better or worse we are tied to those two players unless one of them decides to walk.
    Yeah, many of them do want to trade AD too. I wonder if it's possible to trade some fans to another team?

There's a chunk of Pels fans that...kinda lack heart.

Insulting thing to say, I know. And I would apologize for it, except it's a valid observation. There's a significant chunk of the fanbase that have just been poised to bolt at the very slightest adversity. A few trolls even trying to create the adversity. or at least dream it into existence. Really wouldn't want you guys at my back in a fight. Somebody pops you in the nose once and you'd run home screaming to mamma. And there's a whole bunch of extraneous junk involved too.

here are some notes:

Dell Demps is IRRELEVANT. The team is here, constructed. Dell could be the worst GM in history, or the best. Makes no difference now. It's an offseason topic. A valid one then. But no reason whatsoever not to support the team that is on the floor.

Alvin Gentry's suck, or lack of suck, will for Pels purposes be entirely determined by whether the team wins or does not win. Running around losing your mind over who the coach is is nonsensical. You can blame every loss on him, and dream of a coach that would take this Pels group and make them 82-0, that's fine. I laughed when the Pels signed him, thought it was stupid and amateurish. He's a sub .500 retread. But if the team is winning, then Alvin being the coach is NOT a reason not to support them.

You do not know DeMarcus Cousins' head, and neither do I. I do know his character enough to say that he will never screw over people he likes for selfish reasons. If he's going to go, and he likes A.D., Alvin, Dell, he will let them know so that they can plan accordingly. there will be no Dwightmare nonsense (although he does have Dwight's agent), and no Kevin Durant surprises.

The Saints are irrelevant. Different sport. And I am old enough to remember when all 10 Saints fans showed up to games with paper bags over their heads, so let's not lionize that franchise and it's fans too outrageously. They win, they have fans. They lose...

Speaking of which, the team is carrying a winning record, comes home to face a good East team in Toronto...wouldn't have killed to have the fans show up for that one. At some point the fans with the cahones to hang in there can actually play some small role in the team's success, or failure, by whether they get behind this team or not. Saying you want the team to win, but then giving them no homecourt advantage isn't consistent. Saying you want Boogie to resign, and presenting him with a depressing sea of empty seats isn't either. It takes a village and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    There's a chunk of Pels fans that...kinda lack heart.

Insulting thing to say, I know. And I would apologize for it, except it's a valid observation. There's a significant chunk of the fanbase that have just been poised to bolt at the very slightest adversity. A few trolls even trying to create the adversity. or at least dream it into existence. Really wouldn't want you guys at my back in a fight. Somebody pops you in the nose once and you'd run home screaming to mamma. And there's a whole bunch of extraneous junk involved too.

here are some notes:

Dell Demps is IRRELEVANT. The team is here, constructed. Dell could be the worst GM in history, or the best. Makes no difference now. It's an offseason topic. A valid one then. But no reason whatsoever not to support the team that is on the floor.

Alvin Gentry's suck, or lack of suck, will for Pels purposes be entirely determined by whether the team wins or does not win. Running around losing your mind over who the coach is is nonsensical. You can blame every loss on him, and dream of a coach that would take this Pels group and make them 82-0, that's fine. I laughed when the Pels signed him, thought it was stupid and amateurish. He's a sub .500 retread. But if the team is winning, then Alvin being the coach is NOT a reason not to support them.

You do not know DeMarcus Cousins' head, and neither do I. I do know his character enough to say that he will never screw over people he likes for selfish reasons. If he's going to go, and he likes A.D., Alvin, Dell, he will let them know so that they can plan accordingly. there will be no Dwightmare nonsense (although he does have Dwight's agent), and no Kevin Durant surprises.

The Saints are irrelevant. Different sport. And I am old enough to remember when all 10 Saints fans showed up to games with paper bags over their heads, so let's not lionize that franchise and it's fans too outrageously. They win, they have fans. They lose...

Speaking of which, the team is carrying a winning record, comes home to face a good East team in Toronto...wouldn't have killed to have the fans show up for that one. At some point the fans with the cahones to hang in there can actually play some small role in the team's success, or failure, by whether they get behind this team or not. Saying you want the team to win, but then giving them no homecourt advantage isn't consistent. Saying you want Boogie to resign, and presenting him with a depressing sea of empty seats isn't either. It takes a village and all that.
    Out of interest…..how long have you been following New Orleans basketball (honestly)?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Out of interest…..how long have you been following New Orleans basketball (honestly)?
    I haven't, and that's one of the reasons I get to say that.

You know what team(s) I have followed over the years?

Sacramento

The Knicks

Philadelphia

I am impervious to "woe is us" arguments at this point. You guys have been living the life of riley and not even known it.

Regardless, the larger point would be even if you were the most traumatized broken fans in the entire league, that too has nothing to do with THIS season. Teams are awful, and then one day they are not. Happens all the time in the NBA, and normally what changes is the arrival of a star.

Here's where the Pels sit, after tonight

Pels 8-8
    Blazers 9-7
    Wolves 10-6
    Nuggets 9-7
    Grizzlies 7-8
    Thunder 7-8
    Jazz 7-10
    Clipper 5-10

The Clippers are dying. The Jazz are in huge trouble without Gobert. Conley went down for the Grizz. The Thunder have major chemistry issues. Minny still plays no D. The Nuggets are paper tigers as soon as you get them out of altitude. This happened just tonight with them:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...nba-topstories

You are not the only team with issues. You are doing fine. You really are. Not great. Fine. You're right in the thick of things for a playoff spot.

So Nuggs just got blown out by the Lakers

Makes our peformance even worse (if that's possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    I haven't, and that's one of the reasons I get to say that.

You know what team(s) I have followed over the years?

Sacramento

The Knicks

Philadelphia

I am impervious to "woe is us" arguments at this point. You guys have been living the life of riley and not even known it.

Regardless, the larger point would be even if you were the most traumatized broken fans in the entire league, that too has nothing to do with THIS season. Teams are awful, and then one day they are not. Happens all the time in the NBA, and normally what changes is the arrival of a star.

Here's where the Pels sit, after tonight

Pels 8-8
    Blazers 9-7
    Wolves 10-6
    Nuggets 9-7
    Grizzlies 7-8
    Thunder 7-8
    Jazz 7-10
    Clipper 5-10

The Clippers are dying. The Jazz are in huge trouble without Gobert. Conley went down for the Grizz. The Thunder have major chemistry issues. Minny still plays no D. The Nuggets are paper tigers as soon as you get them out of altitude. This happened just tonight with them:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...nba-topstories

You are not the only team with issues. You are doing fine. You really are. Not great. Fine. You're right in the thick of things for a playoff spot.
    I agree with some things you are saying, but it’s only the bandwagon fans that have only supported this team since Davis arrived or even worse Cousin, that go from high to low with their emotions.
    They haven’t had to endure this crap every season like some of us.
    One or two losses don’t bother me too much.
    It’s the culture of the franchise….it always has been, once this changes we will see improvement within.

Like I have said from the beginning of the season, let’s see where this team is after the Allstar break.
    I want to see a healthy team with Rondo for about 10-15 games before I judge.
    If we are in the mix when our best defender comes back, then I will be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    So Nuggs just got blown out by the Lakers

Makes our peformance even worse (if that's possible)
    Sure it’s possible.
    Especially if you compare one game from the other.
    But that’s not how basketball works.

Do you even know why they got blown out?
    Did you know that Jokic and Malone were taken out of the game because of tech fouls?

Funny how they got blown out, much like we did when Davis was taken out.
    See the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Sure it’s possible.
    Especially if you compare one game from the other.
    But that’s not how basketball works.

Do you even know why they got blown out?
    Did you know that Jokic and Malone were taken out of the game because of tech fouls?

Funny how they got blown out, much like we did when Davis was taken out.
    See the difference?
    To be honest I didn't realise Jokic was ejected when I posted

Losing Davis was no reason to give up 150 points though

Thread Information