Pelicans Report

Thread: Why are we worried about Davis and Cousins bolting?

Why are we worried about Davis and Cousins bolting?

This whole season IMO was about trying to convince Cousins to stay which would then increase odds of Davis staying. I considered this season as the most important season in franchise history as a result.

I was wrong. Thinking about it now--so what if Cousins and Davis leave? The AD era has been terrible, not even a playoff win. Cleveland fans have a reason to worry about LeBron leaving. LeBron has produced championship caliber teams and that sure would be more enjoyable than non-LeBron teams. However, what exactly is to miss about the 30 win seasons that Pelicans fans have endured? The years of Baron Davis and Jamal Mashburn were much more enjoyable.

Davis' lack of effort at the beginning of the game was downright embarrassing last night. Cousins' effort is nothing to write home about either.

Pelicans have a GM that gave Holiday, Hill and Asik ridiculous contracts. Pelicans have a coach that continues to start Cunningham when a shooter is needed next to Rondo/Davis/Cousins and plays him more minutes overall than Miller. Pelicans have elite talent players that quite frankly don't look like they give a damn at times. To be honest, I don't consider Davis and Cousins top players--not with their track record of being losers.

What exactly should I be worried about losing here?
    Last edited by PelicanFever; 11-18-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Banned
    Spot On Very Very Well Said Pelican Fever.

Yea hopefully things get back on track, but I'm getting more and more comfortable with the idea of trading DMC and even AD, firing Demps and Gentry, and starting over fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Spot On Very Very Well Said Pelican Fever.
    Asik is our savior?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

If thats the case trade them
    SIGN A SF

Oh good lord.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I don't think losing Cousins is an automatic loss of AD. But AD is under contract. We can get a damn hefty haul for him if the time ever comes to trade.

And it won't be Demps making that trade any damn way.

I'm not worried. I love basketball enough as a sport that even if we're terrible, I can find little enjoyments. Like the development of whatever young players we have. Like back in the day, seeing Dan Dickau playing as hard as he could. Or Speedy Claxton and Lee Nailon. They were awful, but they played hard.

But I'm hardly to the point where losing AD is like losing nothing. Or being resentful of him. We're expecting them to produce like guards when they just aren't guards.

They say that the script to La La Land was written in 30 minuets by a guy hopped up on hallucinogens who was locked in a Buger King Bathroom.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    They say that the script to La La Land was written in 30 minuets by a guy hopped up on hallucinogens who was locked in a Buger King Bathroom.
    Figures

Davis could fetch an enormous return in a trade and New Orleans would remake and restart themselves in one move. There are some teams out there with assets who could offer a tempting return. Philly and Boston, who both have talented players and extra picks, come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanFever View Post
    This whole season IMO was about trying to convince Cousins to stay which would then increase odds of Davis staying. I considered this season as the most important season in franchise history as a result.

I was wrong. Thinking about it now--so what if Cousins and Davis leave? The AD era has been terrible, not even a playoff win. Cleveland fans have a reason to worry about LeBron leaving. LeBron has produced championship caliber teams and that sure would be more enjoyable than non-LeBron teams. However, what exactly is to miss about the 30 win seasons that Pelicans fans have endured? The years of Baron Davis and Jamal Mashburn were much more enjoyable.

Davis' lack of effort at the beginning of the game was downright embarrassing last night. Cousins' effort is nothing to write home about either.

Pelicans have a GM that gave Holiday, Hill and Asik ridiculous contracts. Pelicans have a coach that continues to start Cunningham when a shooter is needed next to Rondo/Davis/Cousins and plays him more minutes overall than Miller. Pelicans have elite talent players that quite frankly don't look like they give a damn at times. To be honest, I don't consider Davis and Cousins top players--not with their track record of being losers.

What exactly should I be worried about losing here?
    I agree with some of this. Boogie isn’t coming back so I’d trade him to CLE for that NJ pick. I’ve always said that as awesome as AD is, you can’t win with him as your best player. He doesn’t elevate his teammates level of play and he’s only good for 60 games. I’d blow this thing up starting with the GM down to training staff. Fans don’t want to hear it but it’s time to pull the plug on this experiment. This teams’ ceiling is a 1st round exit.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Banned
    DC and AD need Help. They are not guards that can put it on the floor and make plays.
    I think after November we can see what direction this ball club is going.
    Alvin Gentry does not have a good track record as a Head Coach so his pulling this together is not his strong point.
    Let the chips fall then make the moves.

The Franchise
    We just need a little help. Mostly a couple SG with length and shoot a little, a SF that can shoot, and a PF/C. I'm wondering what we can get for some pick swaps? Denver and a seldom played Trey Lyles, philly with okafor and Luwawu, and the magic with Henzonja. I know we may have to wait till December 15 but the earlier we can make some deals the sooner they can mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Asik is our savior?
    Beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    We just need a little help. Mostly a couple SG with length and shoot a little, a SF that can shoot, and a PF/C. I'm wondering what we can get for some pick swaps? Denver and a seldom played Trey Lyles, philly with okafor and Luwawu, and the magic with Henzonja. I know we may have to wait till December 15 but the earlier we can make some deals the sooner they can mesh.
    Do we have to wait though?

Can't we trade Asik, Ajinca and our first for Lopez and Zipser or just Lopez and sign a free agent like Mindaugas Kuzminskas with the space?

I'd bite the bullet now and just do it.
    Doubt we can get much better after December 15.
    If we wait another month....that's another 12-15 games.

I think ad and boogie will decide if they stay. I mean... Their chemistry will decide if boogie stays. If he stays I think next season will give us the opportunity to finish the transformation of the roster. Maybe we find a way to keep cousins but shed Asik, Moore, and hill. Maybe we keep our draft pick and get a SF who contributes from day one.

The cancer is Dell. Cut away the cancer and trade those pieces away.

Banned
    The Turkish Hammer is Done in the NBA. He has 0 Value to a ball club.
    The Pelicans are hoping he gets back on the floor instead of collecting a check sitting on the sidelines watching.
    They are not going to cut him no way to much Money. Asik is here for the long haul.

The Turkish Hammer is Done in the NBA. He has 0 Value to a ball club.
    The Pelicans are hoping he gets back on the floor instead of collecting a check sitting on the sidelines watching.
    They are not going to cut him no way to much Money. Asik is here for the long haul.
    What happened to you saying Asik was coming back to save the day?
    Last edited by Mythrol; 11-19-2017 at 08:45 PM.

The Franchise
    I'm still holding out hope that Asik will be medically retiring so we won't trade him. Also trying not to trade our first until at least the deadline. That's why I was thinking to swap for now.

Asik needs to do a water fast.

Damn, shoulda made that trade for Reggie Jackson! haha, smart, sneaky play...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    What happened to you saying Asik was coming back to save the day?
    I never said save the day YOU DID !
    I said provide bench minutes.
    When you quote make sure its not Fake News in the Future.

I never said save the day YOU DID !
    I said provide bench minutes.
    When you quote make sure its not Fake News in the Future.
    Yes and we currently have no backup center healthy on the team. Asik returning and playing at all would imply saving the day.

I have never said Asik was coming to save the day. I have never implied it. I have never even claimed Asik would be healthy enough to return. You have constantly beat the Asik returning drum and if not outright saying it you have implied his performance for example in the Okafor trade thread on the 2nd of Nov, post 14, you posted:

"Just wait until the Turkish Hammers Returns !!! He is almost ready to get back to action"

With a couple highlight videos.

Let's discuss the other elephant in the room, you repeatedly claiming Asik was returning.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 11-20-2017 at 08:57 AM.

I just want a guard than can shoot and beat defenders one on one...that is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information