Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sitting Cousins at the end of the fourth

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    AD was off in large part because they committed 2-3 defenders to him the moment he touched the ball. He had a few nice passes out of the post and such that make me interested in us letting him facilitate like that more often, but to me it all speaks to the same core issue of needing role players to step up and hit open shots. It could get really ugly in games like Golden State or Portland if teams now understand they can swarm our bigs and clog the paint and dare our role players to hit open shots, or force our bigs to take more threes.

Teams have been steadily doing it more and more but Atlanta really committed to it last night.
    Moore/miller combined for 44pts.... I think that suffices for bench/role players stepping up big

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Pelicans had 19 turnovers. Boogie had 7, NOT 12! AD had 5 .
    I saw it reported as 12. They must have meant it as both bigs combined. Checked the box score and saw they gave AD 5 TOs. Clearly it's wrong. Multiple turnovers accredited to AD should have been on Cousins. At least 2 off the top of my head when Cousins tried to Brett Favre the pass to AD and it was too high for him to control.

Either way, the point is, in NO WAY should anyone be calling for the coaching staff to be fired for putting Cousins on the bench. He had a terrible game and the team played better with a smaller lineup, especially with Miller and Moore going off.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 11-14-2017 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Was there ever much doubt?
    There is and remains a ton of doubt.

A.D. is the perfect efficiency master. He's made for analytics. But he has weaknesses in physicality and creativity and forcefulness. To a lesser degree he's behind the curve in developing a three point shot like seemingly every other top big has, but I'm old school enough to barely consider that a wart.

Cousins may be MORE talented. And by that I mean he can do more things. He can and does create for himself and others. He has guard perimeter skills. Might be the best center off the dribble ever. Obviously he's about the most physical player in the entire league. Forcefulness is not ever an issue. But Boogie's weaknesses are sloppiness related. He makes more things happen than A.D., but not all those things are good things. And of course mentally he's always in a battle with himself. If A.D. can be too passive, Cousins obviously can go the other way. He plays high risk high reward, Davis plays low risk high efficiency. When A.D. has a bad game, he softly disappears into the background. When Cousins has a bad game, it's like the man himself, he goes down wildly swinging and actively hurting you.

They are HOF talents with very different portfolios, and neither can do it alone. Together they cover everything. But right now this season there is little doubt that Cousins has been the straw that stirs the drink:

In fact in the entire NBA the only guy having a larger positive impact for his team this year is James Harden. To whatever degree this thread implies anything different on a larger scale than 5 minutes last night, it's an eye test failure.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 11-14-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I saw it reported as 12. They must have meant it as both bigs combined. Checked the box score and saw they gave AD 5 TOs. Clearly it's wrong. Multiple turnovers accredited to AD should have been on Cousins. At least 2 off the top of my head when Cousins tried to Brett Favre the pass to AD and it was too high for him to control.

Either way, the point is, in NO WAY should anyone be calling for the coaching staff to be fired for putting Cousins on the bench. He had a terrible game and the team played better with a smaller lineup, especially with Miller and Moore going off.
    22pts 16rebs 7ast on .670TS% isn't generally considered terrible.

And people forget it was when Cousins took over the defensive glass in the third that the Pels closed the gap down and made it a dogfight. He grabbed 7 defensive boards in about 10 minutes of action and the Hawks went cold and got nothing easy.

But obviously this was a game with a lot of warts -- for the last 3 games something has been so off with Cousins' reads and decisionmaking -- and by the time he came out in the 4th, he was pretty clearly gassed. There was a dangerous point at about the 3:30 mark when there was an obvious moment where you normally reinsert your guy, the Pels didn't and the Raptors instantly pounced and had it either tied or a 1pt game within a minute. If that had gone south, that would have been a giant stinky question mark. You can sit a star, but you HAVE to win if you do it. If you sit a star and then lose, the questions will be, and should be, intense. Luckily the Pels hung on and pulled it out, and just as importantly, Boogie seemed ok with it. Which again, you can probably only say if you hold on to win.

Thread Information