Pelicans Report

Thread: Trade Idea with NY Knicks (O'Quinn and C. Lee)

Trade Idea with NY Knicks (O'Quinn and C. Lee)

Saw this proposed trade idea a few times on the realgm forums, makes a lot of sense and is realistic, I think. What would ya'll think about this?
    https://forums.realgm.com/boards/vie...?f=2&t=1636511

New Orleans In - Courtney Lee, Kyle O'Quinn
    New Orleans Out - Omer Asik, Alexis Ajinca, Frank Jackson, 2018 1st (Top 8 Protected)

New York In - Omer Asik, Alexis Ajinca, Frank Jackson, 2018 1st (Top 8 Protected)
    New York Out - Courtney Lee, Kyle O'Quinn

Why for New Orleans
    Omer Asik is dead weight and does not play. Kyle O'Quinn is a better, younger back-up C/PF than Alexis Ajinca. O'Quinn can play with either Cousins or Davis as New Orleans primary big off the bench. Once Solomon Hill returns from injury, Courtney Lee is a major upgrade over E'twain Moore at SG. Until then, Lee can start at SF (he and THJ are basically playing a combo SG/SF role now for the Knicks). Frank Jackson was a 2nd round pick in 2017. Although he is a nice prospect, he is only 19 and probably won't get off the bench for a NO team trying to compete. He has Holiday, Nelson and Rondo all in front of him. The New Orleans 2018 1st round pick should be around #20. Add Top-8 protection in case Davis or Cousins goes down to a season ending injury and NO drops all the way to a Top 8 pick.

Why for Knicks. After a few losses, the Knicks realize this is not the year to compete and get 2 assets: A mid 2018 pick and PG Frank Jackson, who was a 2017 second round pick (#31). Ntilkina (PG, age 19), Jackson (PG, age 19), Dotson (SG, age 23), Baker (PG/SG, age 24), and Hardaway Jr. (SG, age 25) should make up the complete guard rotation one year from now - a complete youth movement that can grow together, Even though it seems like the Knicks will be loaded with Centers, this deal actually clarifies the Knicks C rotation. O'Quinn is actually too good to be on the Knicks and is taking minutes away for Willie Hernangomez (so far O'Quinn has all the back-up minutes and Hernangomez has 1 DNP and a game with 4 min of playing time). This trade make it clear that Knicks C/PF rotation is Porzingus and Kanter starting with Hernangomez as the first big off the bench. Noah and Asik will rack up DNPs unless someone gets injured. Either Ajinca or Sessions gets cut. Also, even though Coutney Lee's contract and Omer Asik's contract both run three years, Asik's is only guaranteed for 3M in 19/20. This opens up around 8M in cap space for the Knicks (Lee's 12M minus Asik's 3M) when the Knicks will need to max out Porzingis.
    O'Quinn would be a great fit for back-up big, $4mil this year with a player option for $4.2mil next season. C. Lee is about ~$12mil for this season and two more after this, which is kinda rough, but could be a starter-quality super-sub, although might be redundant with E. Moore who's on a cheaper contract and playing well.

Wouldn't be too bad but I would not include Jackson.

That is a good mid season trade if looking like playoffs..adds depth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's beyond a good trade, that's almost a perfect trade for the Pels.

The problem is, that NY may no longer be a good trade destination, unless you take Noah off their hands. All of a sudden they are winning behind Porzingis, and unless that changes, they go from a rebuilding team piling up young assets, to a "win now/build now" team who isn't going to want the Pelicans junk contracts anymore than the Pelicans do.

Phoenix and Chandler would seem to be a possibility because they still are rebuilding and would value a pick. Monroe for the same source. Noah from the Knicks because they don't want the contract. The Nerlens situation in Dallas is very interesting, but would be a rental because his whole thing is looking to be paid next summer. But the Knicks are playoff bound right now, and not likely to give up multiple core rotation pieces just for a middling pick, unless they fall off and start losing.

Yeah, I would rather not trade Frank the Tank. I have high hopes for that kid.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Yeah, I would rather not trade Frank the Tank. I have high hopes for that kid.
    It's not a giveaway though.

Put it this way, if in one move you could make this a 50+ win season for the Pels, then little 2nd round pieces like Jackson ro Diallo can't be the reason you decide not to do it. One 50 win season changes everything for the Pels franchise, longterm. All of a sudden you are looking at 5+ years of playoffs.

Those two guys aren't getting you over the hump (or 50 wins) so trading a 1st round pick, and a guy like Jackson isn't worth it. You can get out from under Asik easier than they can get out from under Lee. Asik might be forced to retire for medical purposes, Lee is still going strong, so he wont be forced to retire any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Those two guys aren't getting you over the hump (or 50 wins) so trading a 1st round pick, and a guy like Jackson isn't worth it. You can get out from under Asik easier than they can get out from under Lee. Asik might be forced to retire for medical purposes, Lee is still going strong, so he wont be forced to retire any time soon.
    Lee has been a solid starter on a number of playoff teams, and critically playoff teams built a lot like the Pelicans as a 3&D guy playing off great bigs. He and Allen in fact were the SG/SF tandem in Memphis for several years. Back before the season started there was the thought that the Knicks would want to escape from his contract as they went full rebuild around a young and developing Porzingis. But now instead they are in the playoff hunt behind an MVP candidate Porzingis, and Lee is once again, as he did with Howard, as he did with Gasol/Zbo, playing a 3&D support role for a superstar big. He'd be a great catch for a team built around two of them. Just, as I said, i think it's too late now as the Knicks now have every reason to keep him.

Of course it's the Knicks, you never know. Dolan could reach in and meddle at any moment and mess it all up for them.

Assuming that Jackson can be seen as a late lottery pick - we are giving up two first rounders to dump Asik and have C. Lee on long 12 million/year contract.

It is too much IMO

Lee, OQuinn for Asik, Ajinca and pick. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Assuming that Jackson can be seen as a late lottery pick - we are giving up two first rounders to dump Asik and have C. Lee on long 12 million/year contract.

It is too much IMO

Agreed. OQuinn and Lee are nice complimentary pieces, but Lee's contract is not great and those two alone are not the key to getting to 50 wins.

We're gonna have to trade that 1st rounder if we want to shed Asik and Ajinca. I've already wrapped my mind around this.

The key is getting decent value in return. I think we should keep Jackson because Rondo and Nelson will probably not be on the roster after this season, and Jackson could be a solid player for us even in a reserve role.

I like that trade with the Knicks I'd rather keep Jackson though.

It is too much IMO

Why would you assume that? Late lottery pick is 13th and 14th. FJ was selected 31st, in the second round, and has already had an injury on the same foot a second time. But yea, overall I agree it would be nice to keep him around, especially in a deal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Why would you assume that? Late lottery pick is 13th and 14th. FJ was selected 31st, in the second round, and has already had an injury on the same foot a second time. But yea, overall I agree it would be nice to keep him around, especially in a deal like this.
    Going into last season he was considered a lottery pick, his injury completely ruined his draft stock.

I want oquinn not lee

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Late first. Not late lottery. Sorry.
    Before injury Jackson was projected in 20-25 range

Late first. Not late lottery. Sorry.
    Before injury Jackson was projected in 20-25 range
    Ah yea, that makes sense. Yea I hope he turns out to be a Brogdon type steal, who will play like a lottery pick. Looking forward to seeing him debut once that foot heals up.

IMO Jackson and Diallo should be untouchable in trades that involve bringing in role players. Both have potential to come back and bite us if we let them go for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    IMO Jackson and Diallo should be untouchable in trades that involve bringing in role players. Both have potential to come back and bite us if we let them go for cheap.
    It depends for me. If we were to bring in a very solid player and dump the contracts, I would highly consider it. I wouldn't want to part ways with either asset for a 'cough' Asik type player again. Need a two way talent

Thread Information