Pelicans Report

Thread: MONROE & DENG

NBA MONROE & DENG

Should we be interested in one or both? Both are talking trade and Buyout. Which one do you like better for the Pels and why?
    What would you give up for either of them? Deng $18million over next two seasons. Monroe $17.8 million expiring.

The Franchise
    The only way I'd want Monroe is if we gave up asik and ajinca. Deng I'd only want on a min deal after they bought him out. I think Monroe would be an upgrade on what we have now but I haven't seen Deng to even have an opinion. I just know Deng's contract now is horrible and long.

I am not following these trade and buy outs. I am assuming the team that is trading for them plans on buying out the contract?

This is a no brainer, I would take Monroe in a heartbeat, Boogie and AD can't keep logging nearly 40 minutes a games for an entire season

I would take Jahlil Okafor over both.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I would take Jahlil Okafor over both.
    I’d take Monroe if it is through FA and not having to give up one of our few remaining assets for Okafor.

Problem is, I don’t think the Pels are in a position to get Monroe in free agency or find room for Okafor with what we would have to move out to entice Philly.

Why would Monroe want to come here? Just because he is from here? There are AD and Cousins on this team and we live in 2017 and not 1995

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    Why would Monroe want to come here? Just because he is from here? There are AD and Cousins on this team and we live in 2017 and not 1995
    He did say when he was in free agency that he would've loved to come here because he's from the area.

Does anyone else feel Monroe would be a bad for with Boogie and AD? I mean, yeah, he's better than current but if we're talking people to go after....I don't know....
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Monroe, if bought out, would be an incredible get for us

The really interesting thing about Monroe from a Pels perspective is that:

a) he can give Boogie + Brow a rest, and form maybe the most offensively talented frontcourt in NBA history
    b) he can pass, and hence fill some of the Boogie role in keeping the offense greased while the big guy is out.
    c) he's a giant ($17.9mil) ending contract

And on that last one -- here is a situation where, in order to escape from Dell's past sins, it might actually be worth it to burn that 1st. You could offer several of the Pels long term contracts (unfortunately Asik and Ajinca only come to $15.6mil) add that #1 to the Suns, take back Monroe's ender, and at the end of the year have $18mil more capspace than you had, and a bunch of your bad contract longterm obligations erased. In fact while the Suns do not look to be competing anytime soon, the question would really be if the Pels measley little 1st, which is likely to be late lottery at very best, would actually inspire the Suns to take on that much bad money. They won't need the capspace for a few years, but its a middling haul.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    The really interesting thing about Monroe from a Pels perspective is that:

a) he can give Boogie + Brow a rest, and form maybe the most offensively talented frontcourt in NBA history
    b) he can pass, and hence fill some of the Boogie role in keeping the offense greased while the big guy is out.
    c) he's a giant ($17.9mil) ending contract

And on that last one -- here is a situation where, in order to escape from Dell's past sins, it might actually be worth it to burn that 1st. You could offer several of the Pels long term contracts (unfortunately Asik and Ajinca only come to $15.6mil) add that #1 to the Suns, take back Monroe's ender, and at the end of the year have $18mil more capspace than you had, and a bunch of your bad contract longterm obligations erased. In fact while the Suns do not look to be competing anytime soon, the question would really be if the Pels measley little 1st, which is likely to be late lottery at very best, would actually inspire the Suns to take on that much bad money. They won't need the capspace for a few years, but its a middling haul.
    I like it. Reading the rumors the suns may have interest in okafor. If we can get him for cheap then turn around and trade him and Asik. Maybe something like Moore, Ajinca, and a future second for okafor and luwawu. Then flip okafor, Asik, for Monroe. That would clear some major salary maybe even enough to lure a big fish.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9yzwpoq

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I like it. Reading the rumors the suns may have interest in okafor. If we can get him for cheap then turn around and trade him and Asik. Maybe something like Moore, Ajinca, and a future second for okafor and luwawu. Then flip okafor, Asik, for Monroe. That would clear some major salary maybe even enough to lure a big fish.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9yzwpoq
    Demps would be GM of the year if he pulled off that trade. Clearing $23 Million off the books going into the summer, I would even replace the 2nd with a protected 1st if need be.

You'd have to be throwing around non-existent picks all over the place.

Pels have one, singular, asset of any value: the 1st round pick. Everything else is practically stuff you have to pay the other team to take. Diallo might get you a 2nd if you could a GM who is a fan.

Luol Deng would be very interesting if bought out. He would be our starting SF even when Hill returns.
    Trade for Monroe and sign Deng

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Luol Deng would be very interesting if bought out. He would be our starting SF even when Hill returns.
    Trade for Monroe and sign Deng
    If Deng is bought out he's going to Minny over us.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    If Deng is bought out he's going to Minny over us.
    You think so? He would start here. He would be backing up Butler and Wiggins in Minny. Starting next to the towers has to have some appeal no?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    You think so? He would start here. He would be backing up Butler and Wiggins in Minny. Starting next to the towers has to have some appeal no?
    Small chance, but he does have a good relationship with Thibs.
    I'd definitely take either or both Monroe and Deng if bought out.

Any of you that want Deng seen him play since he signed with the Lakers?

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Any of you that want Deng seen him play since he signed with the Lakers?
    Worse than Cunningham?

Would love this to happen:

Jrue Will Improve‏
    @SilverAndMac
    8h8 hours ago

My (unlikely) smaller dream.

Suns send Dudley for AA and Asik plus pick with backdoor condition that they will buy out Monroe, who already has agreement with Pels ready to go

Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    In a heartbeat!

Thread Information