Pelicans Report

Thread: The Roster. What do we really have?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

The Roster. What do we really have?

I have heard repeatedly that besides AD and Boogie our roster is a joke. Maybe that is true when we compare it to other teams. I wanted to look closer at the roster after hearing this over and over. Who are the contributors? Which players don’t have much to contribute? I want to include all players including Jackson, Hill and Rondo...

These are the players who are definitely, at least likely, valuable and should contribute enough to really help the team win a lot of games over the season:
    I listed them in order based on how much of an impact I think they will make:

AD
    Cousins
    Rondo
    Jrue
    Hill
    Nelson
    Moore
    Miller
    Tony Allen

Players I’m still unsure about:

Diallo
    Jackson
    Clark
    Cunningham

Players I know won’t contribute:
    Ajinca
    Asik
    Smith

I don’t think there’s a strong argument that the roster is very weak outside of AD and Boogie. We have enough help to get in the playoffs this year. If Rondo comes back and performs well and Miller continues to hit 3s every game, both are likely, then I will be very confident that we will beat a lot of teams. Also, if we get something solid from Diallo, Jackson, Clark or Cunningham it will really solidify things even more. Also, Nelson has helped a lot and is a great teammate. He’s a vet and a solid backup pg who can hit 3s and facilitate. Keep in mind that Hill will come back and provide aggressive defense and this will only make things better. I’m going to be impressed if we remain over .500 when Rondo returns.

We’ve had some ugly wins and we lost games that we probably could have won. I’m optimistic. How do y’all feel about this? Do you agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The player you have ranked as 6th best on this team was picked up during the season after he was cut from his team. That right there should tell you about the roster.

All the players listed as positive contributors outside of AD and Cousins are either streaky and struggle with consistency or are injured. The most consistent one might, again, be the guy we just picked up off the street after he was cut from another team.

We have an extremely glaring hole at backup Center and no clear or easy way to fix it especially before mid December.

I'm happy with us having a winning record, but our roster still has some bad issues. AD and Cousins will not be able to keep this pace up. Hopefully players come around and hopefully those injured players will be able to return and contribute but neither is set in stone right now.

What sickened me last night was the realization that Lance Stevenson, whom we cut, would settle in at about # 4 on that list behind... (dare I say it) jure Holliday.

Why did we cut him? I know he was hurt...but geez

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

We have an extremely glaring hole at backup Center and no clear or easy way to fix it especially before mid December.
    Imma have to stop this thread and issue a tech to Mythrol for getting to close to a Dr Seuss verse. No. Intent does not matter with this foul. :P
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    What sickened me last night was the realization that Lance Stevenson, whom we cut, would settle in at about # 4 on that list behind... (dare I say it) jure Holliday.

Lance was not playing like that here. He was constantly stopping the ball and would bring the offense to a screeching halt. The LS that we cut would be double digits on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    Imma have to stop this thread and issue a tech to Mythrol for getting to close to a Dr Seuss verse. No. Intent does not matter with this foul. :P
    Never read Dr Seuss. Wouldn't have known. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post

Yeah, we waived Lance so that we could sign Archie Goodwin. Someone remind me who Archie Goodwin is.

That said, Nelson has been a very good pickup, and he is going to be tough to unseat when Rondo gets back. Remember, both of these guys are former all stars, and neither guy had people banging down their doors to sign a contract. They are were in the same situation, only Nelson now has chemistry with Boogie and AD.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 11-08-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    Lance was not playing like that here. He was constantly stopping the ball and would bring the offense to a screeching halt. The LS that we cut would be double digits on that list.
    No, the Lance Stephenson that we cut, we cut because he was injured, and we needed a somebody that could play. When LS was here he was effective.

The Franchise
    Why don't we do a pick swap for this years pick and next year to upgrade positions and then we can trade our first later this year. We could grab Okafor and Henzonja with pick swaps (Players would have to be involved in the pick swap), then trade our first, Asik, and Ajina for Monroe. If the Suns want more than that let them buy him out or carry him all year but 2 first for Bledsoe is really good. Its still possible we could move a couple contract earlier like Ajinca for Okafor. Just a thought.

It really comes down to wasting resources or overpaying for marginal talent.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post

Still lost the game.
    Not an excuse but this new offense does take away from Jrue's mid range game.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Still lost the game.
    Not an excuse but this new offense does take away from Jrue's mid range game.
    Shouldn't take away from driving though. He was super aggressive and even drawing fouls

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Shouldn't take away from driving though. He was super aggressive and even drawing fouls
    He has never drawn FT's regularly. This is one in every 20 games unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    He has never drawn FT's regularly. This is one in every 20 games unfortunately.
    It's coz when he drives now if he has the defender right on him, he just slows up instead of letting his momentum take him to the basket

He's stronger than most players too, it's so infuriating

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Can we just fire Gentry? He hasn't done anything to help this team. I hate the fast paced offense. It limits our guys and forces us to take bad shots way too early in the shot clock.

Thread Information