Pelicans Report

Thread: Luol Deng?

Question Luol Deng?

The Lakers have decided to go with their younger players and Deng hasn't played since the 1st game, he is not happy on the bench and would like to be traded to a team where he can contribute. His contract is rather high, 26 million for 2 years.
    Do you think we should make a play for him, if so what would you give to acquired him?

Quote Originally Posted by Liltiger View Post
    The Lakers have decided to go with their younger players and Deng hasn't played since the 1st game, he is not happy on the bench and would like to be traded to a team where he can contribute. His contract is rather high, 26 million for 2 years.
    Do you think we should make a play for him, if so what would you give to acquired him?
    Breh it's 18 mil for this season and the next two. Much worse than 26 over 2

It's almost twice as bad as Asik's contract which put it somewhere near all time bad contracts (up there with Jrue)
    Last edited by AusPel; 11-07-2017 at 04:20 AM.

Yeah, I mentioned this over in the other thread. Now there has been some talk of a potential buyout too -- and only the Lakers could ever consider buying out 50 million of a contract. But if they would do everybody that level favor, then maybe the Pels could get him. Thing is I don't think there is any cap room left at all before hitting the luxury tax. So somebody would have to get shipped out to make room.

If it were a trade, that alarming $18mil a year contract could be reached, and maybe kept under the cap, with Asik, Ajinca and Cunningham combined...but Cunningham can't be traded for months because he signed so late. You could sub in somebody like Moore to make the trade work (Moore & Asik together = $19mil), but he's been on and off borderline useful, so you'd have to believe you were getting the real Luol Deng and not a 32yr old washed up worst contract in the league candidate. There is also the question of why the Lakers would do that since the two combined contracts run just as long as Deng's and they don't need Moore nor Asik anymore than they need Deng.

His contract is crushingly bad. There's no way we would want it on our books long term.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    What are thoughts on something based around Deng and Nance Jr. for E'Twaun Moore and Asik.

For us, it only really adds $7 million in two years. But we turn one of our combo guards into two guys at our weakest positions of the 3 and 4.

For them, they save $7 million in two years, though could still stretch Asik over the same 5 years. And they get two smaller deals, giving them a better chance at dumping. Plus Nance Jr is out for at least a month.

I don't know, just spit balling the worst contract in the league.

No. Unfortunately I don't see us adding any money this year because it pushes us into the luxury tax. Or, it would have to be for a superstar level player, someone worth it. I don't think a bad contract and Nance is enough to warrant going into the luxury tax.

That said, IF Deng and the Lakers reached a buyout, I would try really hard to get him to sign here and make the smaller moves necessary to facilitate it. He probably would be willing to sign for a minimum since he's being paid by the Lakers anyway and we could offer him playing time immediately. He would also be good insurance if Hill takes longer to recover. Win win for both sides.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    No. Unfortunately I don't see us adding any money this year because it pushes us into the luxury tax. Or, it would have to be for a superstar level player, someone worth it. I don't think a bad contract and Nance is enough to warrant going into the luxury tax.

That said, IF Deng and the Lakers reached a buyout, I would try really hard to get him to sign here and make the smaller moves necessary to facilitate it. He probably would be willing to sign for a minimum since he's being paid by the Lakers anyway and we could offer him playing time immediately. He would also be good insurance if Hill takes longer to recover. Win win for both sides.
    Not sure what you mean. We gain $400,000 this year.

Looks like Bledsoe is headed to the Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    What are thoughts on something based around Deng and Nance Jr. for E'Twaun Moore and Asik.

For us, it only really adds $7 million in two years. But we turn one of our combo guards into two guys at our weakest positions of the 3 and 4.

For them, they save $7 million in two years, though could still stretch Asik over the same 5 years. And they get two smaller deals, giving them a better chance at dumping. Plus Nance Jr is out for at least a month.

I don't know, just spit balling the worst contract in the league.
    Would you trade Jrue for Deng straight up?

Deng will be bought out. No one is trading for that contract. They'll probably negotiate something where he gives $10M back.

Which would be awesome for us, if it happens and he signs here. Because we can resign him for cheap over the next two seasons because Lakers will be paying him still

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Deng will be bought out. No one is trading for that contract. They'll probably negotiate something where he gives $10M back.

Which would be awesome for us, if it happens and he signs here. Because we can resign him for cheap over the next two seasons because Lakers will be paying him still
    If you could make an extra $10M over the next few years, would you give that back? Especially with his ties to helping impoverished areas in Africa, that can go a long way to help a lot of people.

Thread Information