.
Pelicans Report
 
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: 1/8th season review

  1. #1

    1/8th season review

    We have a lot of work to do BUT

    We are 4-2 on the road. That bodes well moving forward. Let's see how the rest of this road trip works out.

    Rondo said he's targeting the 17th as a return date. So 5 more games until he gets back. This should slodify the bench some by having Moore as a reserve.

    If Miller continues his recent play he will likely pass up Dante as the starter at the 3. Honestly he has already done enough to give him a shot compared to Dante's struggles to start the year.

    We are currently tied for 9th place and only half game out of a tie for the 6th seed. We only have 2 more losses than the Warriors and Rockets. We are right where we need to be.

    Now it's about finding consistency and that includes the effort every night. We are getting it from AD as usual and Cousins when he isn't gassed. Jrue really needs to step into that third scorers role. Hopefully he can do that when Rondo gets back. Jrue had quite a few easy layups on cuts in the preseason games before Rondo went out. Hopefully that will carry over.

    I have to say I'm satisfied so far. They are sloppy and undisciplined at times but we have a lot of new pieces amd offensive wrinkles with Finch.

    I am super optimistic right now though based on the way we played the Cavs. I know they are suckling right now but we showed how we are capable of playing. If they can figure out a way to duplicate that effort we will be really tough to beat.

    For the love of all that is holy can someone make a three?

    That is all.

  2. #2
    Sorry about the spelling, on my phone.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Sorry about the spelling, on my phone.
    You typed that all on your phone?

    Dang. I would have probably just hit the little microphone symbol and dictated it, and held on to see what it did with "Rondo". "Ron doe"? Ron doh?

    Ron doh, Dante, 80, cousins, and drew ftw.

  4. #4
    Is it wrong to get one's hopes up about Miller and that he's about to start producing

    His shot when on is a thing of beauty

  5. #5
    The Franchise PolishFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Is it wrong to get one's hopes up about Miller and that he's about to start producing

    His shot when on is a thing of beauty
    His shot is very very flat

  6. #6
    The Franchise PolishFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    We have a lot of work to do BUT

    We are 4-2 on the road. That bodes well moving forward. Let's see how the rest of this road trip works out.

    Rondo said he's targeting the 17th as a return date. So 5 more games until he gets back. This should slodify the bench some by having Moore as a reserve.

    If Miller continues his recent play he will likely pass up Dante as the starter at the 3. Honestly he has already done enough to give him a shot compared to Dante's struggles to start the year.

    We are currently tied for 9th place and only half game out of a tie for the 6th seed. We only have 2 more losses than the Warriors and Rockets. We are right where we need to be.

    Now it's about finding consistency and that includes the effort every night. We are getting it from AD as usual and Cousins when he isn't gassed. Jrue really needs to step into that third scorers role. Hopefully he can do that when Rondo gets back. Jrue had quite a few easy layups on cuts in the preseason games before Rondo went out. Hopefully that will carry over.

    I have to say I'm satisfied so far. They are sloppy and undisciplined at times but we have a lot of new pieces amd offensive wrinkles with Finch.

    I am super optimistic right now though based on the way we played the Cavs. I know they are suckling right now but we showed how we are capable of playing. If they can figure out a way to duplicate that effort we will be really tough to beat.

    For the love of all that is holy can someone make a three?

    That is all.
    I agree and I am also optimistic. The thing that worries me the most is AD and Boogie usage. I dont want to jinx it but hopefully they wont get injured playing exhausted. I would also blame fatigue in the 4th quarters in Orlando and Wolves games for the losses.

  7. #7
    Plenty of different forums I've been on most are optimistic and I'm sorry but I'm honestly not. I really hate to be the pessimistic one, but honestly I'm kinda nervous that the Pelicans will be a fringe playoff team or a likely a team that barely misses it.

    However if the Pelicans can fix these things, I'll say we will be pretty dangerous.

    1. Trade or aquire a back up big. No matter if Rondo comes back or not, AD and Boogie absolutely needs help and if not will be gassed by the time the playoffs come. .
    If we can somehow aquire Robin Lopez, Jahli Okafor, or Greg Monroe we will be a scary bench team to play.

    2. Consistent three point shooting. I'm not sure who is gonna step up and be the shooter , but it scares me that Boogie is the most consistent shooter on the team right now. Cunningham is dumpster fire, and the rest of our reserves are pretty inconsistent. Maybe if Miller can maintain his shot, then we could be straight, or try to aquire a cheap vet that's a sniper like Morrow or Dunleavly.

    3. Jrue Holiday. I just don't know where start or say. Dude is is just soooool average at best and we really need more than that to be a playoff team that we are supposed to be. I'm not one of the people who believe that when Rondo returns Jrue will magically start making his open three point shots, or mid range shots. His confidence is probably the worst I ever seen a player ever play. Idk what's gonna have to happen for him to believe in his self again, but man he is a very frustrating player to watch. It feels like you are watching a little kid playing, like we have to babysit and cheer him on every second whenever he does something average.

    If the Pelicans don't address any of those things we will not make the playoffs. Our last games on the schedule is absolutely brutal and AD and Boogie will be so gassed and exhausted that we will fall horribly. We really need to go on a a massive run and get some easy wins to creat a nice cushion for our team.
    CAW CAW!!!

    -Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

  8. #8
    Btw I typed all of that on my phone so don't expect perfect Grammer .

  9. #9
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kaplan, LA
    Posts
    1,402
    For me it's defense. They give up so many easy baskets and uncontested that it's stupid. I hate the inbound under the hoop baskets or when the big like markennen have open looks at 3's. Even some on ball they laying far off or they aren't staying on the switch if they are switching it's almost they helping too much. Fix this def and we'll be ok

  10. #10
    At this point last year we were 1-9. 1/3 of our roster is injured. Has it been ugly? Absolutely, and really we lost our last 2 home games that we shouldn't have. But 5-5 right now, I'll take it.

    Actually, heck yeah I'll take it. We have a lot to work on, we without a doubt need a backup center, but 5-5 with our injuries... Let's go.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    His shot is very very flat
    But the way the ball snaps the twine on a perfect swish

    Last edited by AusPel; 11-05-2017 at 10:39 AM.

  12. #12
    I personally think Ian Clark is getting a bit of a pass. We expected him to be a more consistent grits, when reality he’s been way too passive. Shooting well, just not enough.

    Maybe we can transfers Crawford’s mindset into Clark’s body somehow?

  13. #13
    and tonight the Clippers go down, and are 5-4. The Jazz get annihilated, and are 5-5. And the Grizzlies are getting curb stomped by the Lakers, and could end up 6-4.

    Pels at 5-5 are right in the thick of things while waiting to get healthy.

  14. #14
    Tyreke is beasting this season, imagine if we got him back

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    You typed that all on your phone?

    Dang. I would have probably just hit the little microphone symbol and dictated it, and held on to see what it did with "Rondo". "Ron doe"? Ron doh?

    Ron doh, Dante, 80, cousins, and drew ftw.
    LOL, the kids were sleeping.

    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I know they are suckling right now...

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    His shot is very very flat
    A. That can be fixed
    2. I don't really care as long as it goes in

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    At this point last year we were 1-9. 1/3 of our roster is injured. Has it been ugly? Absolutely, and really we lost our last 2 home games that we shouldn't have. But 5-5 right now, I'll take it.

    Actually, heck yeah I'll take it. We have a lot to work on, we without a doubt need a backup center, but 5-5 with our injuries... Let's go.
    My thoughts exactly.

  18. #18
    RIP BDJ AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    5,480
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Tyreke is beasting this season, imagine if we got him back
    He'd suck again.
    He's in a system that suits his game, juts like Gordon in Houston.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    At this point last year we were 1-9. 1/3 of our roster is injured. Has it been ugly? Absolutely, and really we lost our last 2 home games that we shouldn't have. But 5-5 right now, I'll take it.

    Actually, heck yeah I'll take it. We have a lot to work on, we without a doubt need a backup center, but 5-5 with our injuries... Let's go.
    Couldn't agree more. No one would deny we've had to win some of these games in a less than optimal fashion, but what matters is that we did win them. 5-5 is our best start in years despite odds being against us, so I'll take it and run with it.

    "We're goin' ta be ohkay'." - Alvin Gentry, 2017

  20. #20
    The Franchise PolishFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    A. That can be fixed
    2. I don't really care as long as it goes in
    Well, the form actually matters. IMO Cousins has the best arc and rotation on his shot and that's why if his shot is slightly too short the rim can get friendly and some of these go in. Miller's shot has to be more accurate to go in.

  21. #21
    Well 5-5 at this point.
    Although we never beat a team with a winning record.

  22. #22
    as part of their power rankings, NBA.com posted a remarkable Pels graphic:


  23. #23
    A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    26,664
    AD and Cousins might be the best tandem we've seen in a very long time. We have got to find someone else to hold it down when they're off the floor.

  24. #24
    Let's keep in mind that's small sample size and extremely early in the season. According to that chart it's actually better to not play AD at all than to play him without Cousins.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Let's keep in mind that's small sample size and extremely early in the season. According to that chart it's actually better to not play AD at all than to play him without Cousins.
    well the 19 total minutes without one or the other on the floor tells it's own tale after 10 games.

    In 10 games, the Pels are averaging 1.9 minutes a game without one of the towers on the floor. Hence no garbagetime at all. Especially eye popping when consider that A.D. was out for 2 games, during which any rest minutes Boogie got would have automatically been a part of those 19min.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •