Pelicans Report

Thread: Pelicans hot take

Rant Pelicans hot take

So while there is plenty glass half empty takes on the Pelicans, I believe this year Pelicans has shown something they haven't shown in years.

Fight. Normally when we have been down huge leads in the past, we normally fold. Doesn't matter who our opponents are, we would fold and quit. But this season we are finding ways to win.

This builds character, toughness, team trust, and a never give up culture.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Super lucky to sign .Nelson, but at the same time, shows how bad this team will struggle at the 3 put line. Dialo defense is awful, miller giving us nothing.

This team will win more games in a different system. Having AD and boogie on the floor at the same time doesn't work. No advantage when they play on the perimeter and both not in the paint.

38 wins.

I really don't get the argument that AD and Boogie don't fit together. Like, have you watched the games? When their skillsets are as diverse as they are, you don't want them to become predictable and only occupy one spot on the floor. That's a complete underutilization of their talent. It's the rest of the roster not coming close to pulling their weight that is the reason for our slow start (along with the predictable slew of injuries). Look how much of a positive impact Nelson has had. He's a barely marginal talent but he knows how to play in this system. Just imagine what we'd be able to do if Jrue had his understanding. Give this time but please don't say that this offense has not been working for our two superstars.

This! I couldn't put my finger on it but this is why I really liked this team even last year we saw once we're down alot we would just kind of play Meh the rest of the game. This year so far though heart and fight in them

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    I really don't get the argument that AD and Boogie don't fit together. Like, have you watched the games? When their skillsets are as diverse as they are, you don't want them to become predictable and only occupy one spot on the floor. That's a complete underutilization of their talent. It's the rest of the roster not coming close to pulling their weight that is the reason for our slow start (along with the predictable slew of injuries). Look how much of a positive impact Nelson has had. He's a barely marginal talent but he knows how to play in this system. Just imagine what we'd be able to do if Jrue had his understanding. Give this time but please don't say that this offense has not been working for our two superstars.
    Agreed! They both won't be taking up the same space at the same time. I think what people don't get is that they are not your average bigs. These are two 7 footers that can shot and handle like guards. So, they can pick and pop, play high and low, and also run the fast break together. They could take turns banging down low (based on who's guarding them) but they will be match up nightmares when playing with REAL PGs like Rondo and Nelson. I can't talk about how good of a pickup Nelson was for this team. He's the missing link to put them into the playoffs. Also, a sane Josh Smith (who doesn't fall in love with the 3) would be the perfect big off the bench for them (who is like a light version of them).

I get that, but believe the advantage is not fully taken advantage of in this offense. At least not yet. Hell its probably the awful supporting cast outside of Nelson. We got a win with AD on the bench. My point, should that happen and we loose with both playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Agreed! They both won't be taking up the same space at the same time. I think what people don't get is that they are not your average bigs. These are two 7 footers that can shot and handle like guards. So, they can pick and pop, play high and low, and also run the fast break together. They could take turns banging down low (based on who's guarding them) but they will be match up nightmares when playing with REAL PGs like Rondo and Nelson. I can't talk about how good of a pickup Nelson was for this team. He's the missing link to put them into the playoffs. Also, a sane Josh Smith (who doesn't fall in love with the 3) would be the perfect big off the bench for them (who is like a light version of them).
    I love when they play the 2 man game with each other lol its beautiful one sets the screen for the other either can score like it's nothing.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I really don't get the argument that AD and Boogie don't fit together. Like, have you watched the games?
    Usually the answer to that either no, they haven't been watching the games, or they have but have already decided their opinion in advance and don't use their eyes. Whether you think it's the best combination or not, AD and Cousins averaged 58/28 so far in their 3 games this season. That's not what you get out of two guys who "don't fit together".
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Usually the answer to that either no, they haven't been watching the games, or they have but have already decided their opinion in advance and don't use their eyes. Whether you think it's the best combination or not, AD and Cousins averaged 58/28 so far in their 3 games this season. That's not what you get out of two guys who "don't fit together".
    true dat

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    So while there is plenty glass half empty takes on the Pelicans, I believe this year Pelicans has shown something they haven't shown in years.

Fight. Normally when we have been down huge leads in the past, we normally fold. Doesn't matter who our opponents are, we would fold and quit. But this season we are finding ways to win.

This builds character, toughness, team trust, and a never give up culture.
    Other then lacking promising youth to develop, I will say I like this mix of young veteran and actual veteran talent. Veteran talent that can actually play, lead by example, and earn respect from the team in a way guys like Perkins couldn’t really.

I have said it for years but I always liked the Washington Wizards model when they had Paul Pierce as a way to move this team forward. That or a discipline intensive coach.

Seems like with the addition of Tony Allen, Rondo, and now Jameer we have that veteran presence that can both lead by example and be a positive locker room presence. I really, really hope Jrue takes this opportunity to heart. Because he basically has three of the best players to pick their brains to advance his own play. One of the best defenders of this era and two ultra high IQ point guards with exceptional ball handling and passing skills.

The Franchise
    I wish there was more youth but the problem is we can't coach them up. Our best players mostly come from other teams. I think Diallo needs to be moved and trade Ajinca, Allen, and Moore as well when we can for an upgrade at SF or PF. Still hoping Asik comes off from medical hardship. I'm running with these guys and hopefully what we can trade for.
    Rondo, Nelson, Jackson
    Jrue, Clark
    Hill, Miller
    Davis, Dante
    Cousins

Don't forget about Jackson, mi think he 7d going to be a good NBA player

I think Jackson is a legit NBA player and a true steal. Not many freshmen guards play on Duke teams, laden w 1st rounders, in the final minutes of tournament games.

I like how he locks in on getting to the rim on the break...kinda like Latrell sprewell did ions ago

Injuries put us in a very tough spot, but up till this point, we have coped very well. One thing that Boogie brought with him when he joined our squad (apart from an abundance of skill and size) is the ability to attract pretty much anybody. All of those vets that are looking for a cheap ring will come to us for minimum deals, which is something we wouldn't have been able to do prior to the boogie trade. It is a shame we had to lose Crawford to acquire Nelson as he was a valuable piece, but he was a luxury we couldn't afford. Nelson and Rondo should be one hell of a combo going forward. We just need to have a bit of luck regarding health.

Thread Information