Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Going to New Orleans--any suggestions?

Going to New Orleans--any suggestions?

Hey, I am traveling to New Orleans tomorrow until Tuesday. Got tickets for the Cavs game and Magic game.

Just wondering if you have any suggestions on restaurants to try , places to see, etc.

Thanks!

Ruby Slipper is good for brunch. Get there early (within 1hr to 1.5hr of opening time) or download the NoWait app to get your place in line before heading over there.
    RIP FlyGirl

I always go to Willie Mae's when I visit

Man where to begin. What part of the city you staying?
    Favorite restaurants: Adolpho's on Frenchman (above apple barrel bar, great ocean's sauce to put on anything you order, and great bars around so can make a night of it. Also great place to be for Halloween as it is a huge block party). Pesche is really good but may be hard to get in for dinner so try it for lunch, their baked drum is really good and brussel sprouts are fantastic.
    La Boca is good for steak, Argentinean, Herbsaint, Toups meatery, Compere Lapin (top chef contestant with really good food), Atchafalaya, Bayona, Italian Barrel, Restaurant Revolution (fancier place but really good turtle soup and trio of quail is good), La Petite Grocery - turtle bolognase is great, shaya is great Israeli food and won James Beard award for best restaurant in the US a year or so ago. For breakfast I like Surrey's (really good shrimp and grits), Ruby slipper and Atchafalaya.

Saints game should be good this weekend. At least go to champions square game day and is a fun time.

Couple of good options for festivals: VooDoo music experience, Seafood festival; http://www.nola.com/festivals/index....incart_m-rpt-2

Bars that are ok include lucy's, Hot tin rooftop bar in the Ponchatrain hotel, Most bars on frenchman, Lafite's at the end of Bourbon, tiki tolteca on south peters, snake and jakes is hole in the wall at the end of the night.
    Maple leaf, howlin wolf, tipitina's are places to catch good music.
    Any where you go should be good though. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I always go to Willie Mae's when I visit
    I wish I had some right this minute. I haven’t had dinner yet. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by shanesy View Post
    Man where to begin. What part of the city you staying?
    Favorite restaurants: Adolpho's on Frenchman (above apple barrel bar, great ocean's sauce to put on anything you order, and great bars around so can make a night of it. Also great place to be for Halloween as it is a huge block party). Pesche is really good but may be hard to get in for dinner so try it for lunch, their baked drum is really good and brussel sprouts are fantastic.
    La Boca is good for steak, Argentinean, Herbsaint, Toups meatery, Compere Lapin (top chef contestant with really good food), Atchafalaya, Bayona, Italian Barrel, Restaurant Revolution (fancier place but really good turtle soup and trio of quail is good), La Petite Grocery - turtle bolognase is great, shaya is great Israeli food and won James Beard award for best restaurant in the US a year or so ago. For breakfast I like Surrey's (really good shrimp and grits), Ruby slipper and Atchafalaya.

Saints game should be good this weekend. At least go to champions square game day and is a fun time.

Couple of good options for festivals: VooDoo music experience, Seafood festival; http://www.nola.com/festivals/index....incart_m-rpt-2

Bars that are ok include lucy's, Hot tin rooftop bar in the Ponchatrain hotel, Most bars on frenchman, Lafite's at the end of Bourbon, tiki tolteca on south peters, snake and jakes is hole in the wall at the end of the night.
    Maple leaf, howlin wolf, tipitina's are places to catch good music.
    Any where you go should be good though. Have fun.
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Want to do as much as I can in 5 days---will be with my girlfriend

Verti Marte
    Last edited by Jabberwalker; 10-27-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Stay out of Challmete.

Don't get shot.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Blog Entries
    Shanesy hit a lot of the big ones, but I'll add a few more--

Frenchman street will be a lot of fun since it's Halloween weekend. It will be crowded, but even just hanging out in the street and people watching is a blast. You can also go a little early and get tickets to see Jazz and eat dinner at Snug Harbour. That place is just a lot of fun, and not too expensive for dinner.

One night I recommend to everyone is to get out of downtown, eat at Jaque-Imos and then watch music at the Maple Leaf (mentioned above) afterward. That's about as New Orleans as it gets IMO.

If you're into Oysters, Pascal's Manale is a pretty great place to eat a dozen or two while knocking back a cocktail. The shucker, T, has been doing it like 40 years or something. At this point he's a legend, and I think the bar itself is 100 years old or so.

Enjoy!
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanFever View Post
    Hey, I am traveling to New Orleans tomorrow until Tuesday. Got tickets for the Cavs game and Magic game.

Just wondering if you have any suggestions on restaurants to try , places to see, etc.

Thanks!
    If you like beers, check out Courtyard Brewery + Urban South Brewery + Wayward Owl Brewery

For fine dining I like Toups + Meril, Casual Eats: Parkway, Buds Broiler

Bars: Erin Rose, Avenue Pub, Half Moon

praline beignets from lorretta pralines. trust me ! worth the trip.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    When I was down there, the first place I went to was Atchafalaya's (hope I spelled that right). It was incredible. Just an overall good environment, amazing food, service was excellent. Then I did some touristy stuff so I'm probably not the best help. But definitely check out Atchafalaya's, and beignets are a must.

http://jacques-imos.com the best creole food restaurant!

Why go Jacques Imo's and deal with the crowd when you can go to Crabby Jacks and get the best Po-Boy in town?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Why go Jacques Imo's and deal with the crowd when you can go to Crabby Jacks and get the best Po-Boy in town?
    Because it's just the best and offers way more than Po-Boys or at least it used to

Neyow’s is pretty delicious also.

I agree Jacques Imo’s Food is good but not worth dealing with the 2 hour wait on a weekend night.

Did anyone mention the National World War II Museum...recognized as one of the world's best museums and it is. I know focus is usually on food and drink, but this museum is just an incredible place. Located in Warehouse District.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

I agree their museum is great but you need a whole day to really experience it correctly. Their restaurant is good as well.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Eat at Arbys imo
    @DanielVeuleman

New Orleans is such a great city. I was born and raised there and spent almost 3 decades there before leaving and I've never been to some of these places. I'll be back for Christmas this year and I'll come back to this thread when I do.

Stay out of Challmete.

Don't get shot.

I suggest Rocky n Carlos

And a midnight stroll through Armstrong Park

Quote Originally Posted by shanesy View Post
    I agree their museum is great but you need a whole day to really experience it correctly. Their restaurant is good as well.
    They are hosting an Air, Sea and Land festival tomorrow at the Lakefront Airport which has been renovated and is a destination in itself.

Recommend the Happy Hour at Borgne and Seaworthy if you like seafood on the cheap

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    I suggest Rocky n Carlos

And a midnight stroll through Armstrong Park
    We take the kids to Crescent Park every now and the, it's not much of a park, but it's right on the river, and offers one of the best views of the city hands down. There is also a really nice restaurant right across the street (like James Bears award worthy) so fun times...if you can dodge the bullets.

Thread Information