Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Mock Drafts

2018 Mock Drafts

I thought that this would be a fun exercise to keep up with during the season as our fortunes improve (or diminish). This will obviously change trades might occur, but this is just a fun thing to keep track of besides the games themselves.

These mocks were posted within the last week, and not surprising, all of the mocks have us drafting in the lottery due to our poor record.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft
    In this mock we have the #10 pick, and they have us taking Collin Sexton- PG- Alabama.

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft
    We have the #8 pick in this mock, and they have us drafting Hamidou Diallo- SG- Kentucky

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/nba-mock-d...luke-doncic/4/
    We have the #12 pick, and draft Wendell Carter - C/PF- Duke

Feel free to post your mocks here, and lets talk about future prospects.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'll be watching this college b-ball season closely. And LSU way more closely than I've ever done.

Is there the ability to bet if our 2018 first is traded or not? Because I would bet everything on it being traded.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

The Franchise
    Guys I'm keeping my eye on are:
    1. Trevon Duval - PG 6'3
    2. Kevin Knox - SF 6'9
    3. Jalen Hands - PG 6'3
    4. Troy Brown - SG 6'6
    5. Justin Jackson - SF 6'7

If we could manage to get to 2 late picks I'm hoping for Hands and Jackson but this is based on the videos on tankathon and needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Is there the ability to bet if our 2018 first is traded or not? Because I would bet everything on it being traded.
    I agree that it is a possibility, hence the reason I mentioned that this is subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Me too! That's why I'm not getting my hopes up!

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I agree that it is a possibility, hence the reason I mentioned that this is subject to change.
    Possibility or likely outcome? I'm not even saying it's the wrong move. At this point, I think we're all-in on win-now and I don't think there's another option. The draft is always exciting to watch though.

Luka Doncic is going to be the best player of the draft by far. Positionless in a similar way to Giannis. Similar because he can play the 1-2-3, sometimes 4. But different because he doesn't just rely on physique, but on innate talent. He's been dominating for Real Madrid for both ACB and Euroleague (playing amongst grown, talented men) and also a key piece to win EuroBasket with Slovenia. He's only 18.

7th pick - Robert Williams - PF - Texas

13th pick, Miles Bridges - PF/SF- Michigan St.

Some interesting turn of events in the mock drafts.

https://www.si.com/nba/nba-mock-draft-2018

18th pick - CHIMEZIE METU - F/C - USC

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/11...-deandre-ayton
    18th pick - Troy Brown - G - Oregon

18th pick - Brandon McCoy - C - UNLV
    (lagniappe)
    2nd round pick Devonte Graham - PG - Kansas

22nd pick - Isaac Bonga - sf/sg - Germany

So people arent counting on us having a lottery pick (that means that they think we will be in the playoffs).

Honestly I doubt we keep this pick but Travon Duval would be the top of my list... But after tonight I think people will start realizing just how good he is... He guy will be a star PG in this league.

I think Grayson Allen will be a solid NBA player and good fit on this team as well if we are in the mid to late first round

Quote Originally Posted by hornetstime247 View Post
    Honestly I doubt we keep this pick but Travon Duval would be the top of my list... But after tonight I think people will start realizing just how good he is... He guy will be a star PG in this league.

I think Grayson Allen will be a solid NBA player and good fit on this team as well if we are in the mid to late first round
    I have been a fan of Allen since his freshman year. He is Bruce Bowen 2.0. Dirty with a touch of three.

I’m willing to bet money that Dell will trade our 1st round pick. So, I don’t get my hopes up about the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I’m willing to bet money that Dell will trade our 1st round pick. So, I don’t get my hopes up about the draft.
    It's been a long time since he didn't trade our first rounder.
    RIP FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rel11 View Post
    It's been a long time since he didn't trade our first rounder.
    Last off season, Buddy Hield wasn't that long ago. But I get what you are saying. Its rare that we actually draft in the first.

The Game Thread Starter j_bones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Guys I'm keeping my eye on are:
    1. Trevon Duval - PG 6'3
    2. Kevin Knox - SF 6'9
    3. Jalen Hands - PG 6'3
    4. Troy Brown - SG 6'6
    5. Justin Jackson - SF 6'7

If we could manage to get to 2 late picks I'm hoping for Hands and Jackson but this is based on the videos on tankathon and needs.
    Jaylen Hands is literally my neighbor. Saw the kid grow up. High IQ kid that's doing great things at UCLA. I would be ecstatic if we picked him up.

With the guys we have returning from injury, unless there was a fringe AS player available, I wouldn't trade the pick. It's not worth it. We need cheap talent, and draft picks provide that. Some times you get lucky and your draft pick hits, but we need cheap young talent on this team so that we can pay players that actually want to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by 23speedkillz View Post
    Last off season, Buddy Hield wasn't that long ago. But I get what you are saying. Its rare that we actually draft in the first.
    And Buddy isn't even starting for the lowly Kings

The pick should absolutely be traded if it's the right move, especially where the Pelicans are at. We're not rebuliding

Why trade the pick when whoever you are going to get isn't going to have an impact like Boogie? No talent we are going to get with that mid to late first round pick is going to give us anything more than what can already be found on this team. If anything, the cap space that the newly acquired player will bring (because you would send out Asik or Ajinca, or some other albatross contract in the deal) will hamper us from landing a player (this offseason) that really will help us get over the top.

Don't trade the pick.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    And Buddy isn't even starting for the lowly Kings

The pick should absolutely be traded if it's the right move, especially where the Pelicans are at. We're not rebuliding
    Keeping a draft pick ever so often is not just about rebuilding. It can also be about cap management to help offset the significant contracts brought in via trades and free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Keeping a draft pick ever so often is not just about rebuilding. It can also be about cap management to help offset the significant contracts brought in via trades and free agency.
    If that's the case then what's the difference with just bringing in minimum guys? Don't need to be picks for that. Actually, rarely do non lottery picks contribute as much as a vet on a minimum deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If that's the case then what's the difference with just bringing in minimum guys? Don't need to be picks for that. Actually, rarely do non lottery picks contribute as much as a vet on a minimum deal.
    Because minimum deals are usually stop gap lower level players (unless you are a large market title contender) and turn over almost annually. A draft pick typically is locked in for a longer period and may develop into a solid contributor. It also helps having a GM that does not give out albatross contracts that require the wasting of 1st rounders to dump.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Because minimum deals are usually stop gap lower level players (unless you are a large market title contender) and turn over almost annually. A draft pick typically is locked in for a longer period and may develop into a solid contributor. It also helps having a GM that does not give out albatross contracts that require the wasting of 1st rounders to dump.
    Good organizations that have found a winning stability over the years seemingly always do both. Look at the Warriors or the Spurs. You bring in those vet minimum guys but you also fill out the roster with players you are developing for larger roles and grooming in the G league. Those developed guys may turn into something, or they can be filler for bigger trades that help put you over the edge compared to other teams offers, or you let em walk. They are low risk to high reward guys. Which is what we are finally doing with someone like Diallo and presumably eventually Jackson. If Diallo is playing like he has been through to the trade deadline, all of the sudden our first and Diallo looks kinda nice to many teams that are maybe looking to unload a solid role player and rebuild.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 11-17-2017 at 11:21 AM.

As someone who doesn't pay that much attention to incoming draft classes until a few months before the draft, I only really hear about the hyped names people make highlight reels of and stuff. So, for the uninformed, who is the dream pick? The guy who would be perfect for us, regardless of if he's hyped or not.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Good organizations that have found a winning stability over the years seemingly always do both. Look at the Warriors or the Spurs. You bring in those vet minimum guys but you also fill out the roster with players you are developing for larger roles and grooming in the G league. Those developed guys may turn into something, or they can be filler for bigger trades that help put you over the edge compared to other teams offers, or you let em walk. They are low risk to high reward guys. Which is what we are finally doing with someone like Diallo and presumably eventually Jackson. If Diallo is playing like he has been through to the trade deadline, all of the sudden our first and Diallo looks kinda nice to many teams that are maybe looking to unload a solid role player and rebuild.
    Great post. As to the team looking to trade for Diallo and a first, let's cut the mystery, who on the Suns are you talking about?

Thread Information