Pelicans Report

Thread: I need to understand

I need to understand

Apparently I was out of the loop. I knew that Nelson was added, but What I didn't know was that it was at the expense of Crawford. What's going on here? He was lights out last year after coming on for the second half of the season. So much so that He signed a little extension. I know the team is short on PG depth, but was singing Nelson really worth getting rid of Crawford?

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post
    Apparently I was out of the loop. I knew that Nelson was added, but What I didn't know was that it was at the expense of Crawford. What's going on here? He was lights out last year after coming on for the second half of the season. So much so that He signed a little extension. I know the team if short in PG depth, but was singing Nelson really worth getting rid of Crawford?
    Crawford was pretty bad this preseason and in his games this season.

Clark and Miller are expected to provide scoring.

Point guard was bigger need.

He was already a partially guaranteed contract, making him the easiest to move, especially given the hardcap situation.

Lots of little reasons.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The Franchise
    Yes, NOBODY on the squad could bring the ball up court then get it to the big guys plus his defense was horrible. Personally I was surprised he lasted as long with our lack of depth at the bigs, SF, and Pg.

probably. it does suck. but I think it was done in an effort to make the decision for jrue and his contract not to be a biblical waste of money. jrue isn't worth it as the floor general of this team. there is a chance for success using him as a super-combo-guard playing both SG and spells at PG.
    when rondo went down it dictated this move. as much as i like crawford and how he played for us... he isn't a starting caliber SG... and neither is Moore in my opinion...at least closing games anyway; hence, Nelson closed the game upon arrival

Quote Originally Posted by Thepeelsessions View Post
    Apparently I was out of the loop. I knew that Nelson was added, but What I didn't know was that it was at the expense of Crawford. What's going on here? He was lights out last year after coming on for the second half of the season. So much so that He signed a little extension. I know the team is short on PG depth, but was singing Nelson really worth getting rid of Crawford?
    Nelson is worth it, you could tell from the first time he stepped on the floor. The Pels really really need that smart saavy vet floor general presence if they are going to finally break through. It's too bad for Grits that he had to be the sacrificial lamb, and I think he has as much right to that contract as a number of jsut raaving mediocrities clogging the Pels roster. But he had the expendable contract.

Short answer: yes, Nelson is worth it. And there were a stack of otehr random guard type to pick up the Crawford slack. Maybe not the scoring, but scoring with more discipline.

Thanks for the input everyone! From that perspective, I can see the reasoning. As mentioned earlier, it is too bad Crawford drew the straw. He was a baller.

Thread Information