Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Josh Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Here's some highlights from a few weeks ago in preseason:

He will be decent with the chance to be very solid and have a big game every now and then. People acting like we signed Rafael Araujo or something.
    that all looked very decent.

It's a funny thing to say about a guy who was basically prematurely drummed out of the league for playing like an idiot, but the reason you make this move is because, in theory, the guy just knows how to play. 5 years ago you are talking about a guy who averaged 17.5pts 8.4reb 4.2ast 1.2stl 1.8blk. People forget about the passing, were just focused on the athleticism. But this was a guy who was good at a lot of things, including defense and passing. Except shooting of course, which became all that mattered in the National Chucker At The Park League about the time Smith ran out of chances.

I assume an injury exception contract is non-guaranteed, so if worst comes to worst and he decides to shoot .316...well you know what? He'll probably still be giving the Pels more than Cunningham or Diallo are. But if he doesn't work out he can be dumped easily enough.

Now just go ahead and complete that I-have-no-idea-why-the-Suns-would-do-it Chandler trade and the Pels would be fully vetted up with one hell of a 2011 team. Seriously though -- want to win? Get young stars and old roleplaying vets. Formula is as old as the league.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He still fancies himself a guy who can be a primary scorer and hit from all over the court.

Yeah. A more athletic, but smaller Cousins.

Not ideal. But Terrence Jones wasn't ideal either and we got some good games out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    He still fancies himself a guy who can be a primary scorer and hit from all over the court.
    At least he did in Israel where he was probably signed to be that guy.

One hopes, hopes against hope, that his sense of self-preservation and desire to return to the NBA have taught him a little NBA humility at least. Work off Boogie and A.D., if he's here. Have Nelson or Rondo, if you stick, get you an occasional lob. It would be enough if you showed saavy.
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 10-25-2017 at 09:20 PM.

I like it on the premise that being out of the league has changed the previously mentioned attitude of him being a primary scorer. (much like crawford)

add to it he is joining a team with two of the top scorers in the league who are both in their prime. and one of these scorers has the disposition/attitude that very well could alert him to the fact that he is screwing up if it does happen

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    He's going to help because he's going to have a defined role. Defend, rebound and maybe take a small amount of shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    *Pels add once decent, now not-decent player*
    Pels fans: So long as the player no longer has faults, this is a good move
    Media: Wow, bad move
    Pels fans: lol @ stupid media haters and emo fans.
    *Pels continue to struggle and player plays poorly to mediocre*
    Pels fans: FIRE EVERYONE!!!

Rinse and repeat
    And yet just about every fan on here is saying how bad this is but good job on the hyperbole?

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    #Pelslife
    Why are you trying to keep that bs alive?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post

No. Just...just let it be dead air.

If we don't acknowledge it, it will go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    No. Just...just let it be dead air.

If we don't acknowledge it, it will go away.
    Lol, you're right completely right it's just...just so hard ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post

I don't see a problem with it, but if you do, well, that's just like your opinion man.

I would have preferred us go with a young guy who is hungry rather than a 31 years old who's best years are behind him. At least in the young guy you have the potential to uncover a future asset. In the Smith signing you have a guy who has zero long term potential.

#pelslife
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I don't see a problem with it, but if you do, well, that's just like your opinion man.

I would have preferred us go with a young guy who is hungry rather than a 31 years old who's best years are behind him. At least in the young guy you have the potential to uncover a future asset. In the Smith signing you have a guy who has zero long term potential.

#pelslife
    Oh please man you know what you're doing and if that ms what you enjoy doing good job

#pelslife
    Future assets are irrelevant unless the Pels make them relevant by failing this season.

The question should be "what would Cleveland do?" Or "what would the Rockets do?" Or the Spurs. You want to be like those teams, start acting like them rather than some G-League franchise running open tryouts.

That's not a particular defense of the Smith move itself -- soon enough we'll know if he has anything left in the tank. But the idea behind it, signing another former star level longterm vet who knows the league, knows how to play...that's what the winning franchises do when they're shorthanded.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I really really don't feel comfortable with this.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar
    .....LOL. Sorry but this funny as heck for some reason. Basketball Reasons.

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Lol at all of you getting getting worked up when he'll be injured within three games anyways.

And pelslife kind of helps me cope with the injuries.

I say let the crack fox hashtag.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Future assets are irrelevant unless the Pels make them relevant by failing this season.

The question should be "what would Cleveland do?" Or "what would the Rockets do?" Or the Spurs. You want to be like those teams, start acting like them rather than some G-League franchise running open tryouts.

That's not a particular defense of the Smith move itself -- soon enough we'll know if he has anything left in the tank. But the idea behind it, signing another former star level longterm vet who knows the league, knows how to play...that's what the winning franchises do when they're shorthanded.
    If you want a signing like the Cavs, Spurs, or Warriors you don't sign Smith, you sign a Jonathan Simmons, Tarik Black, Zaza, or Omri, not a guy who is bad in the locker room like Smith. I mean hell, the Cavs, Spurs, Warriors, and 20+ other teams didn't want to sign Smith, and he was willing to go back to the Rockets on a discount. Signing a Smith type player isn't what a winning team does.

But okay, let's say that we are trying to get on the right track (which ournrecord doesn't show), you need future assets to keep the train running. You need young cheap prospects that you can flip at a moments notice in order to take a smaller part in bigger trades. We aren't developing young talent like the Cavs, Spurs, or Warriors. We aren't signing productive vets to help us (like those teams do). Our roster is built in a oil to those successful teams water. We are built in the exact opposite image of any of those teams, and thanks to Asik, Ajinca, Jrue type moves we are getting even further from Gods light.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    As long as he doesn't still jack up 3's like an idiot, I'm fine with this.
    This x 1 million

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InferiorSharpEarwig-max-1mb.gif 
Views:	79 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	6305

LET IT RAIN!!!

All-Star
    The guys is gonna play max 10 mins only if AD or Boogie are in foul trouble or injured. And will be cut as soon as Rondo or Ajinca will be back in action.

Chill out and let him be a role player for a dozen games.

Signing a Smith type player isn't what a winning team does.
    We aren’t a winning team. We are an extremely injured team trying to win. We don’t have the time to hope a player works out. I imagine the idea as to why Dell went with Josh Smith is they feel he is most talented NBA ready player out there.

Now there’s discussion whether that’s the case or not, I can see it both sides, but let’s also not forget that the Warriors signed Javale. Sometimes you just try to inject as much talent as possible and hope it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I said probably, not definitely. You’re free to agree or disagree. The Pels went with him for a reason over those other guys.
    Yeah, his friendship with Boogie.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Yeah, his friendship with Boogie.
    If the Pels didn’t think he could help the best for this team they wouldn’t have got him. They don’t have the luxury to play favorites with so many people injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If the Pels didn’t think he could help the best for this team they wouldn’t have got him. They don’t have the luxury to play favorites with so many people injured.
    I don't have blind faith in Dell. I hope Smith has something left and maybe the rest of the NBA missed it.

I don't have blind faith in Dell.
    Previous history also leads me to that conclusion!

Josh Smith

I don't have blind faith in Dell. I hope Smith has something left and maybe the rest of the NBA missed it.
    It’s not blind faith, it’s self preservation on his part. Dell is going to do everything possible to keep his job. He believes Josh Smith is the best option out there that we could get, maybe he’s wrong, but he believes it.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 10-26-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Thread Information