Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Back-up Big

A 1st for 1 month of a backup big? No thanks

3 team trade:

76ers get C Tyson Chandler, C Alexis Ajinca, and PF Cheick Diallo

Suns get SG E. Moore, SG T. Luwawu-Cabarrot, PG Frank Jackson, 2018 top 3 protected 1st round pick

Pelicans get SG E. Bledsoe, C J. Okafor

Apparently the sundsvall are asking for way too much.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Not surprising, they have been asking too much for months now. Eventually their price will have to come down, I have to imagine it is getting toxic between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    A 1st for 1 month of a backup big? No thanks
    Well we would have him for the next 2 seasons. And it would basically be converting Asik and Ajinca contracts into Chandler and saving about $10 million.

Not surprising, they have been asking too much for months now. Eventually their price will have to come down, I have to imagine it is getting toxic between them.
    Especially with how they sent him home not to mention they want to attach chandler to the deal. Yeah they're gonna have to go down.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Well we would have him for the next 2 seasons. And it would basically be converting Asik and Ajinca contracts into Chandler and saving about $10 million.
    Asik's contract is possibly coming off the books in a few months. Why in the world would we give up a 1st AND take on extra money for a backup center that his current team can't even dump? We get it, you're really high on a bad contract Tyson Chandler but at least be realistic. The Pelicans aren't going to give up the chance at a medical retirement of Asik AND give up a 1st to get a backup center with two years of 13m+ guaranteed money.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 10-29-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Asik's contract is possibly coming off the books in a few months. Why in the world would we give up a 1st AND take on extra money for a backup center that his current team can't even dump? We get it, you're really high on a bad contract Tyson Chandler but at least be realistic. The Pelicans aren't going to give up the chance at a medical retirement of Asik AND give up a 1st to get a backup center with two years of 13m+ guaranteed money.
    Yea that possible medical retirement clearing of Asik's contract is an often overlooked thing. I guess the idea of it possibly being a trade chip to take in a bigger contract, but yea clearing that $10mil without giving up the 1st seems to be more valuable for future lux tax concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Yea that possible medical retirement clearing of Asik's contract is an often overlooked thing. I guess the idea of it possibly being a trade chip to take in a bigger contract, but yea clearing that $10mil without giving up the 1st seems to be more valuable for future lux tax concerns.
    Medical retirement is only an option for the team the player is currently on. If Asik were traded he would lose the possibility of a medical retirement. I'm not even sure if he could be traded right now since he couldn't pass a physical. That's the thing about all these trade talks. We can't really trade injured players unless the other team waived the physical results.

That medical retirement is not guaranteed. We can be stuck with Asik and Ajinca this time next year.

If Asik doesn't medically retire then what? We either trade the pick or be stuck with 2 basically wasted roster spots for another season? I think trading 2 useless players for one useful one is worth a late pick.
    Last edited by HoustonPelicans; 10-29-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Asik is overlooked because his medical retirement is only a possibility. It's a higher possibility than us winning the Title this year, but it's still only a possibility, and not a certainty.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I mean, if any front office was going to do it, it would probably be ours.......

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Asik is overlooked because his medical retirement is only a possibility. It's a higher possibility than us winning the Title this year, but it's still only a possibility, and not a certainty.
    Exactly. If Asik is granted medical retirement, you are looking at totally different trades. But if he's not, I'd do trades like Asik, Ajinca, and a first for R. Lopez. Or Dedmon and Ehsan. Or Zbo.
    @mcnamara247

That medical retirement is not guaranteed. We can be stuck with Asik and Ajinca this time next year.

If Asik doesn't medically retire then what? We either trade the pick or be stuck with 2 basically wasted roster spots for another season? I think trading 2 useless players for one useful one is worth a late pick.
    Yes it is only a possibility, but if you trade for Tyson Chandler now you erase all chance of Asik coming off the books for free. Why make any move now which long term hurts the team if we can wait a few months and then know for certain what happens with Asik?

Why are you so keen on giving up a 1st to give 13m+ a year for 2 years to a 35 year old backup center?

We are better off waiting and seeing what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Exactly. If Asik is granted medical retirement, you are looking at totally different trades. But if he's not, I'd do trades like Asik, Ajinca, and a first for R. Lopez. Or Dedmon and Ehsan. Or Zbo.
    Sure, but let's wait until we actually find out in February first. Unless we get a Bledsoe level player back in a trade there's no need to be in a rush to give away a pick simply to move Asik and Ajinca. That option will always be there this summer and probably be cheaper.

Yes it is only a possibility, but if you trade for Tyson Chandler now you erase all chance of Asik coming off the books for free. Why make any move now which long term hurts the team if we can wait a few months and then know for certain what happens with Asik?

Why are you so keen on giving up a 1st to give 13m+ a year for 2 years to a 35 year old backup center?

I wouldn't do it now. I have been suggesting that Dell stay in touch with those teams as February gets closer.

It's other people who want to do it NOW. I wouldn't do anything until I get more info on Asik and medical retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I wouldn't do it now. I have been suggesting that Dell stay in touch with those teams as February gets closer.

It's other people who want to do it NOW. I wouldn't do anything until I get more info on Asik and medical retirement.
    Then we're in agreement there.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    So what would hold Asik back from medical retirement? I guess he gets more money by not retiring, sure. But he's clearly not in our current or future plans as a player.

Must suck for him. I'd want out. Even if I leave some millions on the table.

The Franchise
    I would think they'd know already about medical, the only thing is it can't happen till February. We know Dell likes to keep information close to the vest but I don't think it would hurt if that information was leaked. It gives us and other teams more information to make trades so for me I'd be interested to know now.

Because I believe we can win a championship Now. Not in 3 years and the trade puts us in no different situation salary wise if Asik is not granted medical retirement. Chandler helps our bigs is in so many more ways than just on court production, which he still gives at a high level. You keep referencing him as a backup Center like he wouldn't start for alot of teams in the league. I see his age as an advantage if he can keep up his play for the next two years.

And it's not your money, how do you know Benson is cool with paying someone $25 million to not play a game? The same guy who don't want to pay luxury tax.

Because I believe we can win a championship Now. Not in 3 years and the trade puts us in no different situation salary wise if Asik is not granted medical retirement. Chandler helps our bigs is in so many more ways than just on court production, which he still gives at a high level. You keep referencing him as a backup Center like he wouldn't start for alot of teams in the league. I see his age as an advantage if he can keep up his play for the next two years.

And it's not your money, how do you know Benson is cool with paying someone $25 million to not play a game? The same guy who don't want to pay luxury tax.
    If you think Tyson Chandler is the difference between us winning a championship or not, you are grossly mistaken and if you're worried about this season then we can just wait until later in the season to see where Asik is at. No need to rush a decision now.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 10-29-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    So what would hold Asik back from medical retirement? I guess he gets more money by not retiring, sure. But he's clearly not in our current or future plans as a player.

Must suck for him. I'd want out. Even if I leave some millions on the table.
    He would get his guaranteed money if he medically retires or better put, insurance would probably or already is covering it. I don't think he loses any money through a medical retirement.
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I would think they'd know already about medical, the only thing is it can't happen till February. We know Dell likes to keep information close to the vest but I don't think it would hurt if that information was leaked. It gives us and other teams more information to make trades so for me I'd be interested to know now.
    They might have an idea already of which way it would swing but they don't know for sure until the NBA / Players Association agreed upon Doctor examines him in February. The process is, he can't play a game for a year, then New Orleans requests an exam, the NBA and PA select a 3rd party doctor, he reviews the case and makes a determination. If his determination is that Asik couldn't play again without risk to his health then he would be eligible for medical retirement and the Pelicans would be free to remove his entire cap hit off the books.

If you think Tyson Chandler is the difference between us winning a championship or not, you are grossly mistaken.
    I think he improves our chances greatly. More than just on court contributions. I think Cousins, AD, and Diallo become better players with Chandler on this team. A mentally improved and more rested AD and Boogie is worth about 10 Bledsoes

I think he improves our chances greatly. More than just on court contributions. I think Cousins, AD, and Diallo become better players with Chandler on this team. A mentally improved and more rested AD and Boogie is worth about 10 Bledsoes
    We disagree completely and entirely on the value of Tyson Chandler and what he is worth giving up for this team.

Even if we did agree on his value, there is no point in making a move now before we get closer to Asik's medical retirement date.

We disagree completely and entirely on the value of Tyson Chandler and what he is worth giving up for this team.

Even if we did agree on his value, there is no point in making a move now before we get closer to Asik's medical retirement date.
    What does Asik's medical retirement do for this team? Is it going to put us under the cap to sign someone in the summer? I don't think so. So basically it's paying a player $25 million for absolutely no benefit except that he is off the team. Sounds like bad business. I would rather trade for someone who can actually play. Than pay $15 million a year for 2 players who will play maybe 60 minutes a year combined even if healthy and take up 2 roster spots. Or pay $25 million for a guy to retire and it doesn't benefit the team.

Thread Information