Pelicans Report

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans at Trail Blazers 10-24-17

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Quick season recap:

Season starts, two of our starters are our.

Game one: Memphis- Mike Conley can't miss, Chandler Parsons looks like his old self again, and we manage to make it a respectable game for the first half. We fall apart late, but it's not all bad, after all this Memphis team goes on to also beat GS and Houston immediately after us.

Game two: Golden State- a historically great team has three of their four all-stars go off for 20+ points on us, including over 30 from Klay and career high defensive numbers from Kevin Durant. We pull off a lead and despite losing, have it within five with less than three minutes to go.

Game three: Lakers- we blow a lead, but manage to rally and pull off a clear win , including on the fly adjustments with a guy who was arrived in the city less than 12 hours before the game started. AD breaks yet another record as Clark shows he's a reliable option. Win: our first win within three games in years.

Game four: Portland- a playoff team last year, we suffer another injury and lose our best player in the first quarter. Despite this, we make a game out of it playing in an unfamiliar style and hold offensive monster Damian Lillard to barely a dozen points, in the teeth of horrible referee work. A bad loss, but not a beatdown by any means, and one which was two or three shots away from being a win against a mostly healthy playoff team.

Weird how you can make anything sound however you want if you spin it enough, right?
    Memphis game........ We paid someone 150 mil to guard Conley. Him being "unable to miss" is not an excuse. (He went 9/15, he's played better). Parsons made 2 shots and went 1/5 at the FT line. Far from his old self, still bad. Sure, it doesn't look like a bad loss because Memphis has surprised people thus far, but we have played Memphis well for the last what, 3 years? With AD, Boogie, and a 150 mil PG, that's a game we have to find a way to win if we're trying to be a playoff team.

GS game was somewhat encouraging, sure. But I'd be willing to bet that there won't be a playoff team this year that blew at 20+ point lead in any game throughout the season. But again, this game was somewhat encouraging. Goes down as nothing but another L tho...gotta beat this team at some point. As you said, Memphis did.

Lakers game was the first win I can remember where I (and many others) actually felt bad about the win. It was embarrassing blowing such a big lead to that team. But can't be too upset considering this was our only win in this stretch . . .

Portland looked incredibly bad tonight. It was as if Portland, Lillard in particular, was BEGGING the Pels to steal it. Our 150 mil PG misses wide open shots down the stretch. Cunningham continues to be a huge disappointment.

So here we are at 1-3. Another bad start. (Could get worse...) The team made it a point to state how important it was to get out to a good start to this season since we haven't been able to do so in the last few years.

There is no spinning going on here, just facts. This team is looking like the same ole pels thus far. The sad thing is that I actually think this team could be a top 4 seed if completely healthy. Unfortunately, the franchise seems to be cursed with injuries year after year. And we simply don't have the depth to sustain these injuries (mostly because we're paying guys like Asik, Ajinca, etc). At least the Saints are looking promising

Lord and savior we need Rondo back. Not because he is stellar, but Jrue is so abysmal at running a team. Davis returning wouldn't hurt either.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

Pelicans at Trail Blazers 10-24-17

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, optimistic or pessimistic. The Pelicans franchise is the most enigmatic in all of sports. I could see valid points being made on this team ranging from why we should trade AD and blow it up, to why we are a top 4 seed. If it makes you roll your eyes, then so be it. Your thoughts on someone else's thoughts don't matter. There's no consensus on this team, so there's no reason for us to act like it. The opinions we read about this team reflect the product we've been getting. If your frustrated with anything, it's that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One possible positive here? Hopefully Bledsoe watched the game and saw how much Boogie had to do on his own with AD out, and tells his agent to scare off other teams so that Suns will accept the Pels deal. Yea!

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    One possible positive here? Hopefully Bledsoe watched the game and saw how much Boogie had to do on his own with AD out, and tells his agent to scare off other teams so that Suns will accept the Pels deal. Yea!
    LOL! Anything is possible.
    RIP FlyGirl

Banned
    We were not supposed to win this game. Next up is a Kings team that has a young very aggressive Point Guard scores points and is lightning quick. I am hoping for a win Thursday night.

NBA TV announcers making Katrina jokes at us might be the worst part of this game

https://twitter.com/drew_narmour/sta...40084911427585

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Gentry is a very good coach. I'm very impressed with our team. I can't wait till we get Rondo back.
    We played well tonight but we got outrebounded and outscored. We would have won with AD. This one hurts bad because we played well but Portland handed us our 3rd loss. It was a winnable game. The sooner AD and Rondo come back the better.
    I'm impressed with Clark and I think Nelson is really going to help this season. We needed a vet like him.

Cunningham blew it this game. Too bad Hill isn't back yet. Well guys don't get too down, we are competitive but we won't go far without our starting five. We're going to get over .500 before the break. That's what I believe. Portland, Memphis, GSW are all very tough teams. We will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andynola View Post
    NBA TV announcers making Katrina jokes at us might be the worst part of this game

Extremely poor taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'm more sick of the constant complaining about Jrue's contract than seeing how Jrue has played so far.

You'd swear the money came out of our pockets. Tom Benson should be the one aggravated to the point of action.

Are y'all really gonna whine constantly for the next 5 years?
    So how should you feel... tell me when are you going to get upset?
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Pelicans at Trail Blazers 10-24-17

IF this team can't get it together what should we do? If we know it's not going to work we should blow it up. Fire Gentry and clean house. Trade Cousins and AD. How would you do it? This is one trade idea that will make some of you sick to your stomach. It may not work either but here it is:

Cousins to CELTICS
    PELICANS get Tatum, Morris and Smart. Don't get the first round pick from them. I think they'd take this risk. I think it's worth it.

Send AD and 2nd round 2018 pick to 76ers for:
    Ben Simmons, Bayless, Stauskas and a 2019 1st round pick.

After this we lose every game left. Almost every game for sure. We get in top 3 in lottery 2018. Simmons will be face of franchise. Tatum has potential to be a starting SF, rearrange roster and try again next season. Bomb again get in lotto get a star in both lottos, 2018 2019.

We should build through the draft. GSW did. OKC did in the past. SAS did. Trade top players and land stars in draft. Build from there.

Would they do this?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y88eq7hv

Last edited by pelicanchamp; 10-25-2017 at 01:10 AM.

Meh, that's not offensive to me, but I can see how some might take offense to it.

The Blazers were not able to go on a big enough run to close out the game, and they finally were able to break through. The blazers finally went on a run, and broke through (the levees).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

This team needs to get a solid SF plain and simple. If we had a legit SF things would look much different. We have a very solid group of guards especially with Rondo back. We are absolutely terrible on the wing having to start Dante. We have probably the worst situation in the NBA at the SF position currently. This team has to make a trade to land a SF and if we can do that I believe we can compete with anybody. Really wish we would have landed Nick Young who is looking like he would have been a perfect fit here. We need to be targeting Evan Fournier imo who would instantly change this team.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    IF this team can't get it together what should we do? If we know it's not going to work we should blow it up. Fire Gentry and clean house. Trade Cousins and AD. How would you do it? This is one trade idea that will make some of you sick to your stomach. It may not work either but here it is:

Cousins to CELTICS
    PELICANS get Tatum, Morris and Smart. Don't get the first round pick from them. I think they'd take this risk. I think it's worth it.

After this we lose every game left. Almost every game for sure. We get in top 3 in lottery 2018. Simmons will be face of franchise. Tatum has potential to be a starting SF, rearrange roster and try again next season. Bomb again get in lotto get a star in both lottos, 2018 2019.

We should build through the draft. GSW did. OKC did in the past. SAS did. Trade top players and land stars in draft. Build from there.

Would they do this?

Personally I'd just follow another franchise.
    Bucks are looking sweet!!!

I thought we played a solid game tonight but with AD going down we just came up short. What people need to understand here is we aren't the only team trying to win a game. We simply got beat by a good team with the best scoring back court in the NBA while our best player missed 3 1/2 quarters. People need to relax and actually give this team a few games. The way some people react over a game here Lillard would be absolute garbage that we need to get rid of and should have never paid. This team is just missing that one versatile player on the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post

Cousins to CELTICS

Would they do this?

I don't the Sixers would move Simmons. Kid is a flat out stud and is going to be a better Giannis imo. If we were going the trade route he would be my top choice but again I don't think the Sixers would move him because of the risk they would have by losing AD. I would be targeting the Lakers with Boogie and try to snag Ingram and Kuzma from them. Cousins would be a great fit on the Lakers and type of show time name they want. I would then approach the Celtics with AD selling them on an AD/Kyrie/Hayward future. I would want Brown and Tatum along with the 1st in return. Brown/Tatum/Ingram/Kuzma and a 1st would be a great group of young prospects to have. We would be loaded at the SF position allowing us to possibly move to another team for a better fit. We would have a high draft pick to land a young PG to go with that group. Not to mention we still have Diallo giving us a young big going forward. Only way I ever consider this is if it's turning out to be our last option or lose them for nothing. If that's the route needed then these are the 2 teams I'm going after for prospects.

Quick season recap:

Game one: Memphis- Mike Conley can't miss, Chandler Parsons looks like his old self again, and we manage to make it a respectable game for the first half. We fall apart late, but it's not all bad, after all this Memphis team goes on to also beat GS and Houston immediately after us.

Game two: Golden State- a historically great team has three of their four all-stars go off for 20+ points on us, including over 30 from Klay and career high defensive numbers from Kevin Durant. We pull off a lead and despite losing, have it within five with less than three minutes to go.

Game three: Lakers- we blow a lead, but manage to rally and pull off a clear win , including on the fly adjustments with a guy who was arrived in the city less than 12 hours before the game started. AD breaks yet another record as Clark shows he's a reliable option. Win: our first win within three games in years.

Game four: Portland- a playoff team last year, we suffer another injury and lose our best player in the first quarter. Despite this, we make a game out of it playing in an unfamiliar style and hold offensive monster Damian Lillard to barely a dozen points, in the teeth of horrible referee work. A bad loss, but not a beatdown by any means, and one which was two or three shots away from being a win against a mostly healthy playoff team.

Weird how you can make anything sound however you want if you spin it enough, right?
    that's very good post

Can't believe people are letting this go. No words for this bull********. Bias ****** dumbass reporters
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Can't believe people are letting this go. No words for this bull********. Bias ****** dumbass reporters
    Well, I can just tell you as a non-New Orleans person, it didn't even occur to me it was a Katrina joke until I saw people mentioning it on here. I thought it was just a reference to CJ and Lillard being bottled up, and when they hit a few shots they were finally breaking through. Normally that idiom is about a "dam" rather than "levee" but it didn't strike me as odd.

BTW that doesn't mean that's not exactly what they were saying, it just means that New Orleans based people are probably hyper-sensitized to that imagery in a way people in Portland would not be.

Quick season recap:

1-3 is still 1-3 though.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    1-3 is still 1-3 though.
    Well...not to nitpick, but is it though?

For instance, let's just say that a team is going to win 70% of it's home games, and 40% of it's road games. And to start the season it plays 1 of the 2 hardest home games it is going to have all year, and goes 1-2 on the road, in 2 tough road games -- home openers on the floors of playoff teams from last year -- and 1 winnable game against a young team.

If that is the situation, and it is, then this 1-3, even setting injuries aside, leaves the Pels right where they are supposed to be. They've got 40 home games left, and 39 of those 40 are easier than the one they already played. And they've only got 38 road games left. They've lost understandable games you might well have circled as losses before the season even started, and cashed in on the one good win possibility they've had so far.

You could go 1-3 while starting the season with a 4 game homestand against Dallas, the Nets, the Suns and the Pistons and feel like crap about it. This 1-3 though? About right even if the team is eventually going to be pretty good, and using up some of the tough games on the schedule while only burning one of the easy ones. Depending on some rational level of injury luck of course.

Banned
    Guys the big picture is in 20 game blocks. We need to be .500 at the 20 game blocks to arrive at 40 wins.
    I believe the benchmark for Alvin Gentry is the end of November. If he has what I believe will be 8 wins then he should be fired on the spot.
    Darren Erman take over and Finch as his lead assistant.
    We are now watching what 2 First round picks and over 163 million dollars total investment in a single player who by the way has been injuried often the majority of the time is really all about. People on this forum and within the franchise has Raised Up his Skill Set far above what he is capable of on the floor. The true colors are now showing.
    This player is not a NBA starter he is a 6-7 man off the bench at best. Before we can fix the ship we need to acknowledge the problems.

I'm just going to copy and paste this comment for awhile:

40% of our team is injured including 3 starters. NO NBA team could survive that even the Warriors.

Since AD has been here this is the worst our injuries have been. Maybe in the life of our franchise.

Someone tell me how we end up playing one of the greatest teams of all time in our home opener and also have to be the visiting team for portlands home opener, who have now won 17 straight of those.. unfair coincidence?

Jrue needs to step up his game. he's under-performing for someone who is making $126 mil

Thread Information