Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Bledsoe wants out of PHX

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Based on WHAT other than your own opinion? The Pels have been linked to Bledsoe for months. The rumors today were linked to Bledsoe with nothing about Chandler. There hasn't been a single rumor of them wanting Chandler... I'm not sure any team has been rumored to be trying to trade for him.
    The asking price for Bledsoe and dumping Asik this summer was reportedly taking Chandler, 3 first rounders, and whatever else it took to get the money to work. Sounded more like Phoenix's attempt to dump than Pels having interest but that's a valid rumor tying us to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    The asking price for Bledsoe and dumping Asik this summer was reportedly taking Chandler, 3 first rounders, and whatever else it took to get the money to work. Sounded more like Phoenix's attempt to dump than Pels having interest but that's a valid rumor tying us to him.
    That not the Pelicans asking for Chandler. That's the Pelicans taking him back to get Bledsoe.

He just said he thought the rumors around Bledsoe and the Pelicans are actually centered around Chandler. He's completely wrong.

The Franchise
    Or maybe we could be a third team involved. Bucks maybe move Middleton, OKC I don't see them able to move enough, Detroit maybe Harris, and Denver Faried and possibly mudiay.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Based on the team needs. We need a 3rd big more than we need Bledsoe. Based on the fact that other teams have stronger interest and I'm sure Demps realize we have no dog in that race and/or Demps will not get a green light to trade 2 1st rd picks for Eric Bledsoe to outbid another team. Chandler fits a need and more with the culture we are trying to build here, defense and rebounding. Bledsoe is a step back to 2014.

And it's a common trade in business negotiations to express interest in one asset to disguise your true interest in another.

Edit: Also based on the fact we are not likely to shake this roster up during the season. We have had a different roster for the last 3 years. At some point we need continuity. We have our Big 4, we need to add quality depth.
    Right. You're willing to overlook months of rumors with the latest one being TODAY linking the Pelicans with Bledsoe because of your opinion. You realize how asinine that is right?

Right. You're willing to overlook months of rumors with the latest one being TODAY linking the Pelicans with Bledsoe because of your opinion. You realize how asinine that is right?
    Lol it's a theory. But I don't think we were ever interested in Bledsoe. Jrue said AD told him Rondo was coming before he signed. So it was always understood that Rondo and Jrue will be the backcourt. I don't see Demps sacrificing depth to bring in another starting guard and asking him to come off the bench. That's literally the mistake he made in 2014 with Tyreke. It's a theory. Call it a conspiracy if you want. But I think his real interest was always Chandler.

Im expecting the Pels to pass on Bledsoe because Rondo. And thats dumb. Rondo isnt worth it.

Lol it's a theory. But I don't think we were ever interested in Bledsoe. Jrue said AD told him Rondo was coming before he signed. So it was always understood that Rondo and Jrue will be the backcourt. I don't see Demps sacrificing depth to bring in another starting guard and asking him to come off the bench. That's literally the mistake he made in 2014 with Tyreke. It's a theory. Call it a conspiracy if you want. But I think his real interest was always Chandler.
    I have some Beach front property I’d like to sell you in South Lafourche.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    1. If we got Bledsoe, I'm still starting Rondo and Holiday. Bledsoe and Clark would rotate in which is a solid rotation.
    2. We don't know if Asik will ever play again, so in February his cap could all come off. If we think that is what could happen then his trade value is tremendous IF you can trade him.
    3. All trades must have protections of at least top 5 in case of disaster. It's not like our team isn't injury prone then getting more injury prone players (Rondo and Bledsoe are very injury prone hence the need of Nelson).
    4. If your not playing diallo then trade him for what you need but I'd like to keep Jackson and Diallo.
    5. A backup big would be nice but doesn't need a lot of money. Grab montejunous (spelling prob wrong didn't want to lookup) or Lee, or Robinson. Dante should be a backup big.
    6. A taller defensive SF is needed till at least when Hill comes back or if he comes back, but this seems to be a problem we'll have all year. Bigger SG and SF are killing us right now.
    Hold on did you say if we get Bledsoe you have him coming off the bench???? I'm sorry but that's the only thing I read... if we get Eric I'm sorry... but jrue will be the most expensive 6th man we ever had
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Over a random fan, yes.

People pretend GMs are bumbling idiots but fans have 5% of the total picture and then base all their opinions off of that. GMs get a lot more of the total picture, as well as are surrounded by an entire organization worth of input.

The fact that they get stuff wrong or make mistakes isn't a testimony of them being bad, it's a testiment of just how hard being a GM is. Even a failed GM though has far more insight than a random forum poster.
    We’re not talking about insights or behind the scenes stuff. You said assessment of a player. The fail rate of 1st rounders should tell you everything you need to know. It’s a crap shoot and they are wrong just as often as Joe from autozone. That’s it don’t want to make it a thing I just think you are too knowledgeable of a poster to let that be your argument in a disagreement.

Bledsoe wants out of PHX

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    We’re not talking about insights or behind the scenes stuff. You said assessment of a player. The fail rate of 1st rounders should tell you everything you need to know. It’s a crap shoot and they are wrong just as often as Joe from autozone. That’s it don’t want to make it a thing I just think you are too knowledgeable of a poster to let that be your argument in a disagreement.
    I would still chose the knowledge of assessing a player from a GM with a whole team of individuals who’s entire job is to evaluate talent over a random forum poster. The fact you’re arguing against that point is shocking.

Failed picks are not just player evaluations. The GM answers to the owner and the owner can have a player in mind no matter what the GM thinks.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 10-23-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Most of us can't shake the traditional offense out of our head when making these plans for our Pels. "Get some shooters that open up space for our bigs." But that's not how our bigs operate. I kept looking at the TV in disbelief as not a single player would be in the paint for a lot of our offensive sets. Our bigs are almost always getting the ball at the perimeter and not inside. And then it clicked. Boogie and AD are the shooters creating space. The idea is to draw the opposing bigs out of the paint so slashers can slash. AD and Cousins also have the skill to drive the bigs inside of no help comes. If the bigs come out, the interior is wide open. We really missed Rondo, here.

Bledsoe fits that perfectly. The problem is that before Nelson and without Rondo, this wasn't happening well. Have Bledsoe, Jrue, Nelson, and Rondo and this would be going swimmingly.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 10-23-2017 at 07:21 PM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Let's say hypothetically we make the trade to get Bledsoe...

What's to say he won't get injured after a week?

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post

Let’s say we don’t try for Bledsoe and Rondo suffers a setback or reinjures himself his first game back. Then what? We need another playmaker. If Bledsoe is attainable, you do it and don’t think about every negative thing that may happen down the road.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

What's to say any of us wake up tomorrow? You don't worry about something you can't control. Living happens forwards.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I was more so being sarcastic because anyone who wears a Pelican jersey is bound to get hurt one way or another.

I was more so being sarcastic because anyone who wears a Pelican jersey is bound to get hurt one way or another.
    Terrific attitude

What's to say AD and Boogie are gassed come playoffs because they had to play 40 minutes a night because their only backup was David Lee and Diallo.. And we used all of our assets to get another guard because we like lavish things

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    What's to say AD and Boogie are gassed come playoffs because they had to play 40 minutes a night because their only backup was David Lee and Diallo.. And we used all of our assets to get another guard because we like lavish things
    It's less about lavish things and more about stock piling as much talent as possible, because that's what the NBA is. Now more than ever. You have to be able to throw player with extreme levels of talent at the Warriors, Rockets, Thunder, Cavs, and Spurs.

Only reason we're gung ho and looking to bring him in because he already has an in. And there's precedence for players partnering up based on their friendship. And the only person, apparently, Boogie is closer to than AD is Bledsoe.

...and John Wall, I'd wager. But I doubt we're getting him.

The Pelicans have assets, but it depends on what Phoenix wants.

I floated Moore, Ajinca (salary and some ability to play and not be extra good)... then a mix of Jackson, Diallo, 2018 first, future picks / swaps as something the Pelicans might part with and the Suns might take as they would have some future benefit while letting them be horrible now.

So, where is the lack of assets?

Look at the trades from the summer, not years ago.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's less about lavish things and more about stock piling as much talent as possible, because that's what the NBA is. Now more than ever. You have to be able to throw player with extreme levels of talent at the Warriors, Rockets, Thunder, Cavs, and Spurs.

Only reason we're gung ho and looking to bring him in because he already has an in. And there's precedence for players partnering up based on their friendship. And the only person, apparently, Boogie is closer to than AD is Bledsoe.

...and John Wall, I'd wager. But I doubt we're getting him.
    I get we need talent but we have a big 4 and a very good defender in Solomon Hill who is expected to play this year. Those teams also have a lot of depth. What good is AD and Boogie if their playing against the bench while the other teams starters are resting on the bench? What good is Bledsoe coming off the bench if he's playing with scrubs? Why have quality guards like Nelson or Clark ride the bench when there are holes elsewhere?

This feels so much like Tyreke Evans. I remember vividly the main reason for trading Lopez and Vazquez for Tyreke was stockpiling talent and having a 6th man in Tyreke. It killed our depth, hurt way more than it helped. Bledsoe is good but he plays a position that we have depth and he can't backup AD/Boogie. I think keeping those 2 fresh is most important and our best chance at winning long term.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    The Pelicans have assets, but it depends on what Phoenix wants.

I floated Moore, Ajinca (salary and some ability to play and not be extra good)... then a mix of Jackson, Diallo, 2018 first, future picks / swaps as something the Pelicans might part with and the Suns might take as they would have some future benefit while letting them be horrible now.

So, where is the lack of assets?

Look at the trades from the summer, not years ago.

Yea that's a good point, Jackson and Diallo can pretty much equate to late 1st's at this point, I would think. The only thing about doing a trade like this, that pretty much uses up all the Pels' trade assets. So if a talented SF becomes available at the trade deadline, we would be out of that mix because we will have used up all our trade pieces for Bledsoe when we're already loaded at guard.

Still, I'm sure they could find a way to make it work and then hope Hill comes back strong and capable at SF. We would have one of the best collective guard units in the league, also one of the worst at SF, but that can be overlooked, can't have stars everywhere.

Cousins /
    Davis / Dante
    Hill / Miller / T. Allen
    Holiday / Clark
    Bledsoe/ Rondo/ Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Yea that's a good point, Jackson and Diallo can pretty much equate to late 1st's at this point, I would think. The only thing about doing a trade like this, that pretty much uses up all the Pels' trade assets. So if a talented SF becomes available at the trade deadline, we would be out of that mix because we will have used up all our trade pieces for Bledsoe when we're already loaded at guard.

Still, I'm sure they could find a way to make it work and then hope Hill comes back strong and capable at SF. We would have one of the best collective guard units in the league, also one of the worst at SF, but that can be overlooked, can't have stars everywhere.

Cousins /
    Davis / Dante
    Hill / Miller / T. Allen
    Holiday / Clark
    Bledsoe/ Rondo/ Nelson
    Fair.

To me, you take the shot. If something comes up later, try your assets. Or, just run with more guards, try to guard those wing players with Davis, or deal with it next season.

There is risk either way. However, I think they can get in the mix. Should... I think so, but it is a fair debate. I just think this team grabs some improvement, if it from a star, when it can.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    Fair.

To me, you take the shot. If something comes up later, try your assets. Or, just run with more guards, try to guard those wing players with Davis, or deal with it next season.

There is risk either way. However, I think they can get in the mix. Should... I think so, but it is a fair debate. I just think this team grabs some improvement, if it from a star, when it can.

True dat. Might as well just go for it, if possible. Sure there's a lot of risk, like pushing vets like Nelson and Rondo further to the bench, but it's not often a player as talented as EB becomes available, and there is the DeMarcus factor.

Yea, run with more guards-- has me thinking about how one of Jrue's strengths is guarding bigger wing players well. Could even roll with Rondo/Bledsoe/Holiday at times with Holiday guarding SF's and having as little ball-handling/play-making duties as possible.

They expressed interest. My guess is their real interest is in Tyson Chandler and their gauging what assets Phoenix are looking for. I could be wrong but I just don't see Demps going the 3 guard route with so many holes in the roster, especially since he watched it fail with Jrue-EG-Reke-Ryno-AD. Depth is important.
    While I agree that we do need a 3rd big, I highly doubt our target would be a 35 year old center with $26.5 million remaining for the next 2 years of his contract.

The only reason we would take Chandler is to facilitate a Bledsoe deal. He is undoubtedly a minus contract.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Thread Information