Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pels in Contact with Nelson

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    With me, it's not that I think Green is good. It's less he has certain traits I think we lack. Namely, ability to hit a 3 and playing way above the rim.

He's never been much of a defender, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Crawford can play just fine on the wing. If Green were as good as some people are acting like he’d have a team right now. The way I see it is Green and Crawford are basically the same but Crawford has the advantage because he knows our system and what we are trying to do.
    I agree that Crawford and Green are very similar players. The only difference is that Green has a little more length being able to fill in the backup SF role. I take Nelson over either of them though, so I like the move.

When the team is fully healthy, the 2nd quarter lineup could be Nelson, Clark, Moore, Green plus AD/Boogie. That is better than Clark, Moore, Crawford, and Miller.
    Last edited by Darkhorse985; 10-21-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    With me, it's not that I think Green is good. It's less he has certain traits I think we lack. Namely, ability to hit a 3 and playing way above the rim.

He's never been much of a defender, however.
    He is, to use the scientific term, a dumbass. That's the problem. There is talent, but it's completely undisciplined and, well, dumb. The problem is similar to Crawford, except that Jordan may have gained some degree of self-awareness over the years abroad that Green never seems to have demonstrated. Green probably still has some talent, but he's getting older, and he's never demonstrated any real ability to get it and help a winning team in mature fashion. Which is how a talented guy ends up jumping through 8 teams in 11 years. If the Nelson move demonstrates a desire to add a serious and mature player who understands his role and wants to win, picking up a Gerald Green would be the exact opposite. A pure talent grab adding nothing to team culture, + maybe even adding in an aberrant element who never does anything that doesn't feel right, for him, never does any little thing like defense, and who is basically still just a dumbass 16yr old on the playground calling for the ball every time down the floor and half-heartedly jogging back the other way if he doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    He is, to use the scientific term, a dumbass. That's the problem. There is talent, but it's completely undisciplined and, well, dumb. The problem is similar to Crawford, except that Jordan may have gained some degree of self-awareness over the years abroad that Green never seems to have demonstrated. Green probably still has some talent, but he's getting older, and he's never demonstrated any real ability to get it and help a winning team in mature fashion. Which is how a talented guy ends up jumping through 8 teams in 11 years. If the Nelson move demonstrates a desire to add a serious and mature player who understands his role and wants to win, picking up a Gerald Green would be the exact opposite. A pure talent grab adding nothing to team culture, + maybe even adding in an aberrant element who never does anything that doesn't feel right, for him, never does any little thing like defense, and who is basically still just a dumbass 16yr old on the playground calling for the ball every time down the floor and half-heartedly jogging back the other way if he doesn't get it.
    I really don't care what the reason he's not on another team already is. Unless he drinks blended kitten smoothies or is pulling a Darren Sharper on poor women, I just want him to do two things. Shoot 3s and dunk for like 12 minutes a game tops.

Which makes me want him twice as much as Jordan Crawford. My primitive animal fan brain wants dunks. Big driving dunks.

Green is being overrated on here why do you think he has been on 10 different teams, something is wrong with dude. I would avoid him honestly.

Moore better start producing quick smart

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    Green is being overrated on here why do you think he has been on 10 different teams, something is wrong with dude. I would avoid him honestly.
    I'm starting to feel like McNamara. Who is doing all this rating? And by that logic, the only players worth going after are the guys we can never get.

Pels in Contact with Nelson

I'm starting to feel like McNamara. Who is doing all this rating? And by that logic, the only players worth going after are the guys we can never get.
    You’re missing the point. It’s not that he’s saying we should go after only players we can never get, it’s that the strong desire people have shown to want Green over say Crawford is unwarranted.

You’re missing the point. It’s not that he’s saying we should go after only players we can never get, it’s that the strong desire people have shown to want Green over say Crawford is unwarranted.
    I haven't missed the point. I don't mind that part with Crawford vs Green. This is a particular peeve of mine I'm choosing now to broach.

I specifically mind the "X player was cut for a reason" "X player was traded for a reason" "X player went in the xth round or undrafted for a reason" logic. It's like an appeal to majority fallacy that because others think something is so it must be so. I'd rather people stand on their own convictions. I think not wanting a player because you don't think they're good is enough. I don't care what other teams they were on and in what time span.

I'm actually okay with bringing Nelson in. It sucks to lose Crawford, but we needed a playmaker and Nelson is gonna be a great back-up to Rondo when he comes back. Plus Nelson is familiar with Finch's system so he can come in and play with not much adjustment.

I haven't missed the point. I don't mind that part with Crawford vs Green. This is a particular peeve of mine I'm choosing now to broach.

I specifically mind the "X player was cut for a reason" "X player was traded for a reason" "X player went in the xth round or undrafted for a reason" logic. It's like an appeal to majority fallacy that because others think something is so it must be so. I'd rather people stand on their own convictions. I think not wanting a player because you don't think they're good is enough. I don't care what other teams they were on and in what time span.
    A player not being able to stick with multiple teams is usually a pretty good indication of them not being good enough.

Do you sometimes find a diamond in the rough? Sure. But the odds are pretty low. If we are going to have a discussion about if a player is good or not, you better believe I’d rather take the opinion of multiple NBA teams over what some random forum poster who has never spoken a word to the player thinks.

Anyone who’s conviction is tied to, “I think this way so therefore this is what I believe” is stupid. You should listen and learn to try to absorb all the information possible before forming an opinion, especially from outside sources that have 1st hand knowledge.

A player not being able to stick with multiple teams is usually a pretty good indication of them not being good enough.

Do you sometimes find a diamond in the rough? Sure. But the odds are pretty low. If we are going to have a discussion about if a player is good or not, you better believe I’d rather take the opinion of multiple NBA teams over what some random forum poster who has never spoken a word to the player thinks.

Anyone who’s conviction is tied to, “I think this way so therefore this is what I believe” is stupid. You should listen and learn to try to absorb all the information possible before forming an opinion, especially from outside sources that have 1st hand knowledge.
    So after Moore bounces around from 3 previous teams Dell signs him to a huge contract

Does your logic apply to him too?

How is Crawford not a real shooter? It’s not his fault He was asked to run the point instead of being a shooter. He knows the system already too. He also doesn’t bring the baggage Green does either.
    I completely agree with Crawford and he was used wrong. We need him playing alongside a PG like Nelson and not trying to start the offense having to create all of his shots. I would love to add Green as well since he can play SF. When Rondo comes back we will be set at PG and SG so Green would probably be a better fit instead of Crawford going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post
    I'm actually okay with bringing Nelson in. It sucks to lose Crawford, but we needed a playmaker and Nelson is gonna be a great back-up to Rondo when he comes back. Plus Nelson is familiar with Finch's system so he can come in and play with not much adjustment.
    What the heck are you doing, man? This is the Crawford/Green thread.

Lol. But really. Good signing. In a lot of ways. We assessed a need and are doing what we can to fix it. Plus, we won another battle for an FA. I love that.

My problem with the GS game was how the majority of our offensive sets have five guys spread out around the 3pt line and not a single body in the paint. It was weird. And then we just played ISO and watched whomever had the ball try to penetrate. Seemed like it was a symptom of loading the roster with SGs and letting the bigs handle the rock. Dumping Crawford and picking up Nelson makes me hopeful that was diagnosed and steps are being made to rectify it.

Grits had 7 assists yesterday, how many were playmaking assists and how many were just dump to AD/Cousins and let them work?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDavis1022 View Post

Indeed, if the team can hang in there long enoguh there could/should come a point this season when the roster is going to make quite a bit of sense:

C- Cousins + maybe Ajinca for a few minutes
    PF- Davis + likely Cunningham for a few minutes
    SF- defensive stopper (Hill backed up by Allen)
    SG- Jrue + 1 of Clark or Moore
    PG- smart veteran leader PG (Rondo backed up by Nelson)

most of the ill fitting random scrubby reserves will barely have to be in the rotation at all. SG will be the only spot unsettled. The talent will be in the frontcourt, with short backup minutes to just whatever scrub wants them. The SFs will defend. The PGs will lead and floor general. It could all make sense and be organized.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Blahhhh Crawford can do too much sometimes but man, losing him is gonna hurt. He was really our only legit scorer off the bench. Hope it doesn't bite us in the end.
    Exactly. He was Our only offensive force from the bench Why they don't cut Asik who is always not healthy? I like Nelson but cutting Jordan is stupid idea...

I think bricklayer pretty much hit the nail on the head. When it comes to crunch time, you'd have Rondo and Nelson and then Jrue and Clark/Moore as your playoff rotation. Heck. You start factoring Hill coming back and Allen getting some playoff minutes at SG and all of a sudden Jordan is our 7th guard. Crawford became expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    Exactly. He was Our only offensive force from the bench Why they don't cut Asik who is always not healthy? I like Nelson but cutting Jordan is stupid idea...
    Because Dell

Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    Because Asik has a guaranteed contract and if we cut him then we wouldn’t be eligible to possibly apply for an injury retirement for him in February which would take his entire salary off the books.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    So after Moore bounces around from 3 previous teams Dell signs him to a huge contract

Does your logic apply to him too?
    You assumed I meant because he moved teams that’s an indication of how good he is. I meant because he couldn’t stick on multiple teams roster and is out of the league currently.

Good move to bring in Nelson. I don't understand why people are so overly fascinated with Crawford. The guy is a dime in a dozen one dimensional chucker, who has been out of the league because of the very same reasons the Pelicans decided to cut him - IQ and discipline.
    A team with two bigs needs to be disciplined and efficient on offense and defense, because every turnover, every low percentage shot will turn into a fast break opportunity for the opponent. And with two bigs we have the quickness disadvantage. We won't win running up and down the floor, trying to emulate GS. We won't win with fringe Nba players like Crawford chucking shots, thinking they are Steph Curry. We win with being disciplined and running an efficient offense. We win by limiting the opportunities to run for the opponent. And we win by playing defense. Crawfords only strength is his ability to create shots for himself. But he isnt good enough to move the needle by doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Krysanthem View Post
    Good move to bring in Nelson. I don't understand why people are so overly fascinated with Crawford. The guy is a dime in a dozen one dimensional chucker, who has been out of the league because of the very same reasons the Pelicans decided to cut him - IQ and discipline.
    A team with two bigs needs to be disciplined and efficient on offense and defense, because every turnover, every low percentage shot will turn into a fast break opportunity for the opponent. And with two bigs we have the quickness disadvantage. We won't win running up and down the floor, trying to emulate GS. We won't win with fringe Nba players like Crawford chucking shots, thinking they are Steph Curry. We win with being disciplined and running an efficient offense. We win by limiting the opportunities to run for the opponent. And we win by playing defense. Crawfords only strength is his ability to create shots for himself. But he isnt good enough to move the needle by doing that.
    My exact thoughts. It's really strange folks are caping for Crawford so hard when he has been a negative on the court 75 percent of this season and play horrible in the preseason. Crawford was a type of player that would play horrible for three games, yet really good in the fourth one. But the only consistent thing about his game was his atrocious defense, troubling IQ in critical moments, and struggle to move the ball. He was fun to watch, but this season we are trying to win games instead of being entertained by a irrational chucker.

Nelson provides consistency, veteran leadership, scoring when needed, higher IQ, ball movement for starting and bench players, and has understanding of the Finch system.

This is a no brainier 10/10 times, and after heavyweights Cavs, Rockets, Thunder were trying to nag the best PG available, he chose to come here.

We all should be celebrating man. Gerald Green, Mike Dunleavly, Ray Mcclum, and possibly Jordan Crawford will still be out there to sign by Monday. everyone chill and be thankful that we FINALLY have a decent reserve PG like since Pargo? Lol
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    My exact thoughts. It's really strange folks are caping for Crawford so hard when he has been a negative on the court 75 percent of this season and play horrible in the preseason.
    It's because there is a complete dearth of shot making outside of AD/DmC that Jordan Crawford was like Kobe to us - we are so starved of playmakers we become stage 5 cling ons to anyone who can make a damn three

We already have the medical hardship exception. I think you can only use a non-guaranteed contract when using this exception and they wanted Nelson for the whole season. So they had to dump Crawford to make room on the roster. But once two out of 5 Pelicans return from injury, the exception exspires. So at this point, we have a non-guaranteed contract to give out to someone that'll go into it knowing they only have 4-6 weeks on the roster

Thread Information