Pelicans Report

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Pels Vs. Warriors Gameday!!

We just lost by single digits in a close game to a historically great team, where all four of their all-stars had to play 35+ minutes, and even then some of them had unusually good games (Klay couldn't miss, Durant had 7 blocks), and people are still complaining. I'm convinced that we could blow out Houston by thirty when we play and all you'd hear is how Jrue had a turnover in the second quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    Why? He’ll play 5 games then get hurt for another 3-4 weeks
    Plus he's a horrible defender and horrible shooter.

Without Rondo it's a lot tougher for this team to be beat the Warriors. They gave the Warriors a tough game throughout most of it. You can be unhappy about a lot of things about what the Pelicans did, but most teams have felt this from the Warriors. Rondo in this line-up would beat the Warriors in the Playoffs.

I liked what I saw. 120 against the Warriors is pretty impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Did we watch different games? AD and Boogie were used very effectively. We just lost a good game to a better team.
    Yea AD and DMC balled out as always. Now everybody else is pure junk water especially Holiday because he got overpaid like a mf. I know there were better options than holiday wtf were they thinking.

Gentry says "Okaaaay" too much in timeouts, kinda feels like

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    We would’ve won this game had Rondo played. Moore should not be starting, as a matter of fact, send him to the G-League
    Cmon now rondo is good but no way we beat GS after they took a tough loss on their first game. It was a longshot to begin with. Thompson was unstoppable.

Banned
    Jrue Do Do Holiday

Banned
    Lakers are up next we have a slight chance for a win

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    The Memphis game soured me on this team immensely. I know what kind of depths of ineptitude exists within this group. We all know the flaws. They earned a reprieve from me based on tonight’s effort and in most cases, execution.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    He's a terrible motivator. When ESPN showed him trying to get the players back into it, I couldn't stop laughing. Hard to really take him seriously.
    Saw that fool up in Costco once. Dude was looking at landline phones.

In the words of Rasheed Wallace,

Both teams played hard.
    RIP FlyGirl

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    Why? He’ll play 5 games then get hurt for another 3-4 weeks
    Well aren't you a barrel of fun and optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    We just lost by single digits in a close game to a historically great team, where all four of their all-stars had to play 35+ minutes, and even then some of them had unusually good games (Klay couldn't miss, Durant had 7 blocks), and people are still complaining. I'm convinced that we could blow out Houston by thirty when we play and all you'd hear is how Jrue had a turnover in the second quarter.
    I'm not sure about that one. This game just exposes how terrible we are at the guard/wing position. Rondo is going to help out tremendously in managing the game and leadership but Dell really did screw the pooch by not getting any shooters. I just don't see how signing Holiday to be the 3rd option/shooter for 20+ mil made sense. Cousins, AD, and Rondo are good enough to get us in the playoffs but our other guards and lack of depth will and is hurting us.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Well aren't you a barrel of fun and optimism.
    I learned never to get my hopes up with this team. We are always banged up and something inside me is hoping if I say someone will get hurt that the opposite will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I'm not sure about that one. This game just exposes how terrible we are at the guard/wing position. Rondo is going to help out tremendously in managing the game and leadership but Dell really did screw the pooch by not getting any shooters. I just don't see how signing Holiday to be the 3rd option/shooter for 20+ mil made sense. Cousins, AD, and Rondo are good enough to get us in the playoffs but our other guards and lack of depth will and is hurting us.
    I know we definitely have flaws in our roster and we are far from being a top tier team, but this game was a great game. A good, back and forth, close game where we had some fantastic signs of defense and ball movement: two things everyone has been asking for. Yes, we lost. Yes, there are flaws we showed and which they exploited. No, we shouldn't be upset about this loss, we shouldn't hold it against anyone, and we shouldn't be calling for jobs or claiming Cousins is going to hit the eject button based on tonight of all nights.

I have to say this about Gentry, this past summer it was a Saturday morning (like 10am) and I was at Costco on Dublin. Just me and the kids, and the place had just opened so there weren't many people in the store. We are walking by the tv section, and there was Gentry looking at a GoPro. I was going to go say hi, but thought better of it as he probably has a thousand people stopping him to talk.

As I was walking away this chunky guy (who probably hasn't seen his feet in years) comes up to him and starts telling Alvin what he needs to do to make the team better. "Alvin, hey my dude. Listen to me, you got to use my boy AD better. Y'all are wasting a talent." Obviously I didn't stick around to hear Alvin's retort, but if I was Gentry I would have shut that ******** down and walked away.

I'm sure that Alvin hears a lot of crap like that. I just never thought how embarrassed I would feel for him listening to it.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Our issue isn't a lack of shooters, IMO.

It's guys who can do more than just shoot. Moore, Cunningham, Clark, Jrue, AD, Cousins, Miller. These guys can probably hit a 3 or two. It's more than just that.

When teams close out on them, they are often unable to make defenses pay. Rondo can though. Occasionally, you get flashes from Jrue. But not enough.

We need playmakers. Guys that defenses must take seriously as ball handlers or get burned with layups and dunks. But also skilled and heads up enough to make a decent kick out pass.

It's the one thing I miss from Tyreke. He was tunnel visioned, but the guy threatened teams enough to get them to rotate when he drove the lane.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Our issue isn't a lack of shooters, IMO.

It's guys who can do more than just shoot. Moore, Cunningham, Clark, Jrue, AD, Cousins, Miller. These guys can probably hit a 3 or two. It's more than just that.

When teams close out on them, they are often unable to make defenses pay. Rondo can though. Occasionally, you get flashes from Jrue. But not enough.

We need playmakers. Guys that defenses must take seriously as ball handlers or get burned with layups and dunks. But also skilled and heads up enough to make a decent kick out pass.

It's the one thing I miss from Tyreke. He was tunnel visioned, but the guy threatened teams enough to get them to rotate when he drove the lane.
    I think Solomon Hill is better at taking it to the basket than perimeter shooting. Holiday is also good at cutting to the basket. Moore and Cunningham are mostly limited to catch and shoot on the perimeter.

The Pelicans should offer Ray Allen a contract.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    We looked very good. I am more optimistic now. Transition defense needs improvement and we still need more production from players besides AD and Boogie. I think we will be very good and we should be over .500 at the all star break. When Rondo comes back I expect a very balanced attack. Ian Clark is good and Demps was smart to get him. I'm impressed.

When we have Hill and Rondo back we will have a damn good team. Hill is a great defender and Rondo is going to be the leader of this team. We can get 55 wins with this team.

Last game gave me depression, this game gives me hope.

To play like this without 2 starters, 2 games into the season without the benefit of season to season cohesion like a Warriors have is pretty nice.

The team in Memphis is a team that would struggle to win 35 games. This was a team that should win 40+. A few more weeks of building that chemistry and it should be even better.

I am encouraged, very encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Lakers are up next we have a slight chance for a win
    even Bill Simmons has more confidence in a Pelicans win over the Lakers than you. stop posting

I only caught part of the 3rd quarter up to the end of the game, and here are the things that stuck out to me:
    • The defense has a long way to go. In the short time that I watched, there were far too many wide open threes in the corner for Golden State. Part of it is of course because the Warriors are just that good, but for it to happen repeatedly isn't a good thing.
    • Ian Clark is a really nice pickup. Made open shots, didn't force anything. On the other hand, Jordan Crawford was frustrating to watch -- he dribbles way too much. There was one play where Cousins got in position in the post and was calling for the ball, but he just dribbled some more and threw up (and missed) a tough shot.
    • Davis and Cousins are still figuring out how to work together, but they're so good that they make it work anyway. We see flashes of brilliance, but then you have that play where Cousins almost ran into Davis while driving to the basket, because they were trying to go to the same place (and yes, Cousins made that basket anyway)
    • We need a true point guard. This was supposed to be Rondo, but what can you do. Jrue gets a lot of hate here, but he's just not a true point. He's the best perimeter defender we have right now, I can see him doing very well alongside a true playmaker.

The only thing that gets me is why hire finch if we have Rondo or vice versa... rondo can't shoot but also we need a scorer.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Thread Information