Pelicans Report

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20

Thread: GAMEDAY THREAD PELS at GRIZ 10/18/17

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Could have stretched Asik, which they would have done for the right guy.

Easily could have signed, say Collison and maybe CJ Miles. Then, with room exception, go get Dante. Bring in Clark for the same min contract. Kept Quinn Cook

That team aint worse and its way more flexible moving forward. Collision has 2 mil guaranteed next year.

Look - Dell had a bunch of bad choices, but the narrative that he had NO CHOICE but to bend over and take it from Jrue's agent and bring him back is plain false. Heck, he could have Jameer now too if he went that path. You telling me Jrue is gonna do so much better than a Nelson/Collison combo?

He had no great choice, but he had A CHOICE.
    Well said!

I just don't get how many people can see this from the outside looking in but not Dell. He just doesn't seem to have a clue how to build a consistent contender. He's been blessed with a a top 5 talent and the best C in the league but has done nothing to build around it. His idea of surrounding them with shooters is to add Rondo, a euro league NBA wash up in Miller, overpay Holiday (a combo guard that was never confused with being a shooter), and Ian Clark (the Warriors 10th man). That's pathetic!

At some point its on the players and not the coaches we stopped moving the ball and started playing iso that's on the players not coaches

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bahmamamba View Post
    At some point its on the players and not the coaches we stopped moving the ball and started playing iso that's on the players not coaches

That's because the other players suck
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    That's because the other players suck
    That's a great analysis

People have the misconception that Dell needed to get a high dollar player with Jrue’s money. Dell could have gotten role players or tradable pieces instead of adding more untradable contracts to the roster.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    No disagreement here, never said he didn't have a choice. Just trying to point out the seeming misconception that we could have used everything we paid to Jrue to bring in free agents. You know how the cap works better than most so its easy for you to see what the alternatives were. Again, non of those guys you mention are needle movers, but neither is Jrue apparently. So, if the question is what should we have done to keep maximum flexibility, then absolutely you let Jrue walk. Dell had choices to make and he decided to roll with Jrue. Right now, Jrue has a long way to go to earn his money.

I'm with you in that the other options would likely have resulted in us not being any worse. But is not any worse where we really need to be?

Had Dell decided to do exactly what you said, and all of those guys agreed to come here. We still probably lose last night either way and have the opposite discussion.

We should have paid Jrue!
    I expect 15-18ppg 5 rebounds per game, 4.5 assists per game (when Rondo returns), on defense: 1.8 steals per game, .7 blocks per game, and suffocating man to man defense against multiple positions.

This is realistic imo. I think we had a bad game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    People have the misconception that Dell needed to get a high dollar player with Jrue’s money. Dell could have gotten role players or tradable pieces instead of adding more untradable contracts to the roster.
    Yeah I mean bringing Jrue in at this SG/"shooter" role did not make much sense. I would have much rather a guard rotation of Rondo/Nelson (both for near the vet min) at PG and Swaggy or CJ (who are actual shooters)/Moore at SG with Frank Jackson being the 5th guard. That way we have actual facilitators to feed AD/Boogie as well as the shooters at PG position and actual shooters for floor spacing at the SG position. Everyone on this freakin board as well as on tigerdroppings has been saying this for the past two years but Dell refuses to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    Yeah I mean bringing Jrue in at this SG/"shooter" role did not make much sense. I would have much rather a guard rotation of Rondo/Nelson (both for near the vet min) at PG and Swaggy or CJ (who are actual shooters)/Moore at SG with Frank Jackson being the 5th guard. That way we have actual facilitators to feed AD/Boogie as well as the shooters at PG position and actual shooters for floor spacing at the SG position. Everyone on this freakin board as well as on tigerdroppings has been saying this for the past two years but Dell refuses to do this.
    Dell will sink his own ship this year, but the next guy we also pay for Demps’ horrible contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I expect 15-18ppg 5 rebounds per game, 4.5 assists per game (when Rondo returns), on defense: 1.8 steals per game, .7 blocks per game, and suffocating man to man defense against multiple positions.

This is realistic imo. I think we had a bad game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To be honest I am as big of a supporter of Jrue as there is out there. But he can't have games like that where he is non-existent on both ends of the floor.

I think he had a bad game as well. He must at least hit double figures every game. It will be hard for us to win if he doesn't. Rondo can take some of that pressure off but at his salary he cannot have games like this if we expect to win against good teams.

If he doesn't score fine, but he better be locking down the other teams best ball handler. If he can't lock that guy down he needs to be scoring. It's pretty simple. He must do one or the other for us to have a chance to win.

The reason we lost was because of the refs and the players couldn't hit a shot. 38% from the field! 28% from 3pt. 0/10 from 3 in the 2nd half. 17 turnovers in only 3 qtrs after the 1st. Only 15 assists.

You can argue about the team makeup and what the roster *could* look like if Dell did this or that, but the simple truth is this falls on the players. They stopped running the offense as soon as Memphis started getting physical and the refs let it go. It was BS that the refs allowed it to happen, and it was BS that they called it one sided, but the Pels players clearly fell right into the trap Memphis had and they just completely stopped playing their game.

Look at what happened when we actually ran the offense? We completely hosed them. With the exact same players people are complaining about. What changed? Not the players, they stopped running the offense.

Now I will say this: Gentry should have gotten a Technical and tore into the refs to show the players he was defending them. Tell them to play the game and let him handle the refs. That might have settled them. But it was clearly on the players for not having the mental power to not get tricked into playing off their game.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Could have stretched Asik, which they would have done for the right guy.

Easily could have signed, say Collison and maybe CJ Miles. Then, with room exception, go get Dante. Bring in Clark for the same min contract. Kept Quinn Cook

That team aint worse and its way more flexible moving forward. Collision has 2 mil guaranteed next year.

Look - Dell had a bunch of bad choices, but the narrative that he had NO CHOICE but to bend over and take it from Jrue's agent and bring him back is plain false. Heck, he could have Jameer now too if he went that path. You telling me Jrue is gonna do so much better than a Nelson/Collison combo?

He had no great choice, but he had A CHOICE.
    Just imagine this team with Rondo and CJ Miles. MIies was EXACTLY the lights out shooter this team needed

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The reason we lost was because of the refs and the players couldn't hit a shot. 38% from the field! 28% from 3pt. 0/10 from 3 in the 2nd half. 17 turnovers in only 3 qtrs after the 1st. Only 15 assists.

You can argue about the team makeup and what the roster *could* look like if Dell did this or that, but the simple truth is this falls on the players. They stopped running the offense as soon as Memphis started getting physical and the refs let it go. It was BS that the refs allowed it to happen, and it was BS that they called it one sided, but the Pels players clearly fell right into the trap Memphis had and they just completely stopped playing their game.

Look at what happened when we actually ran the offense? We completely hosed them. With the exact same players people are complaining about. What changed? Not the players, they stopped running the offense.

Now I will say this: Gentry should have gotten a Technical and tore into the refs to show the players he was defending them. Tell them to play the game and let him handle the refs. That might have settled them. But it was clearly on the players for not having the mental power to not get tricked into playing off their game.
    This actually may be a good learning experience for the team as a whole. Because this is exactly what you can expect to happen in road games in the playoffs. Teams will continue to get physical with them and try to get in their heads until they prove it won't throw them off of their game. That's why Rondo is so important, he will force them to run the offense when times get tough. Damnit, get health Rondo!

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Just imagine this team with Rondo and CJ Miles. MIies was EXACTLY the lights out shooter this team needed
    Hell, I wish Swaggy P would have signed. Miles would have been nice as well. But again, no way of knowing if we tried and were turned down or not. Who knows what happened with all of that.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure we were going to sign Nick Young, but pulled the offer so he went to Golden State instead.

Road openers aren't easy. Usually opening night is rocking. So losing to a decent team on a road opener with some bad calls going against you isn't something to pout about. MM posting again is.....but not the loss.

And by the way, folks. The Warriors are a solid team. I realize most of you probably haven't noticed them much. It is not the end of the season if we lose that one, too. Let the season play out a little.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Road openers aren't easy. Usually opening night is rocking. So losing to a decent team on a road opener with some bad calls going against you isn't something to pout about. MM posting again is.....but not the loss.

And by the way, folks. The Warriors are a solid team. I realize most of you probably haven't noticed them much. It is not the end of the season if we lose that one, too. Let the season play out a little.
    Very much agree. Still miss Tim Frazier.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'm pretty sure we were going to sign Nick Young, but pulled the offer so he went to Golden State instead.
    The way I heard it, he chose not to sign with us because Warriors.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Thread Information