Pelicans Report

Thread: Well thats not weird

Well thats not weird

The Memphis Grizzlies announced plans to eventually retire the number of Tony Allen, who departed this summer as a free agent and signed with the New Orleans Pelicans.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...yer-tony-allen
    This just feels weird.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

How? Tony Allen did alot for Memphis and ushered in the most successful era in their franchise history. He is also a all timer on defense
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    How? Tony Allen did alot for Memphis and ushered in the most successful era in their franchise history. He is also a all timer on defense
    He is still playing.

I don't find it that weird. As has already been said, he was a huge factor of the best time in Memphis Grizzlies history. Sure he's still playing, but if Cuban said tomorrow that they're definitely retiring Dirk's jersey, no one would be surprised although he's still active

They didn't say they were retiring his number first game of the season. Just some time in the future, meaning, once he retires. They probably want him to go back and retire with them then retire his number that season. They said the same thing about Randolph.

What I find odd is that they didn't extend him a minimum deal and by all accounts he would have taken it, yet he means that much to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    What I find odd is that they didn't extend him a minimum deal and by all accounts he would have taken it, yet he means that much to them.
    I hadn't thought about it like that, but I do recall being in Memphis in April, and a Grizzlies fan told me that everyone thought that Tony Allen would be retiring at seasons end. So much for that plan.

It is weird. How many other teams have said that they would be retiring a players number, while he was still playing...and for another team? Maybe it's a timing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I hadn't thought about it like that, but I do recall being in Memphis in April, and a Grizzlies fan told me that everyone thought that Tony Allen would be retiring at seasons end. So much for that plan.

It is weird. How many other teams have said that they would be retiring a players number, while he was still playing...and for another team? Maybe it's a timing thing.
    Yeah, I can't recall that happening before either. Allen has a real chance to be a fan favorite in NOLA. I hope he gets minutes and we go all in on a defensive identity.

I think Miami said they'd retire Wade's number last year some time. I remember earring something similar to this happening not long ago. I think it was Wade, maybe another player though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I think Miami said they'd retire Wade's number last year some time. I remember earring something similar to this happening not long ago. I think it was Wade, maybe another player though.
    Yeah, I think I remember something along those lines as well, although I thought it was this year they said it.

Edit: I looked it up, it was the heat retiring Chris Bosh's jersey after they announced they were releasing him.

Thread Information