Pelicans Report

Thread: Would it be smart to trade our 1st rounder Now?

Would it be smart to trade our 1st rounder Now?

While we have a injured and damaged roster, and with many teams expecting us to lose AD and Boogie since it magically "won't work" why are we not trading the pick right now? The value will be the highest it can be right now since expectations for this team is so low.

What since would it make to trade it in December or January when we will be a better team and our first rounder will become a projected mid teens pick?

Am I forgetting something here? Even guys like MM think we should hold on to the pick at least until December. Won't that make the pick (or future picks) be harder to get good value for?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Unless we have a really really good record by December I think teams would still think we'll probably fall off a cliff. I mean it doesn't seem anyone thinks this duo is going to work lol

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

But a decent start to the season will drop the value of our pick though. Going into December we would have at least played 25 games

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    A couple points based on my own perception:

1. Dell may already have a target in mind. He may have already been rejected and is now in wait and see mode.

2. On paper we know what this team needs, but reality might be a different story. Dells added a few new moving parts, it makes sense to see what the new creation looks like before adding.

3. Solos injury. Piggybacks off number 2. 6 months brings him back around February. Getting him back would be like a trade and probably influences what you would look for at the deadline.

4. How Rondo influences Jrue. Also piggybacks off 2. We know the team has had interest in Bledsoe and Jackson. If moving Jrue off ball looks to be a wise decision than solidifying the PG position through trade becomes a must with how tight we will be to the cap.

That's just speculation off the top of my head. Seems like there's a lot going on right now and trading away a future first at this point would seem a bit much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would it be smart to trade our 1st rounder Now?

My assumption is there is probably multiple reasons factoring in. The simplest one is that Dell might have been told not to move the pick or at least not unless it's a game changer.

Even if he wanted to make a trade now the issue is, what Salary do we send back for a player? Asik they are likely banking on him medically retiring in February which means he's not going anywhere. Ajinca is our only backup center on the team, can't really trade him. Solomon and Jackson aren't going to be traded either due to injury. AD, Cousins aren't going anywhere.

Jrue, Rondo, Miller, Ian Clark all cannot be traded until Dec. 15th.

So basically we are left with Crawford (no value), Moore (little value maybe none), Diallo (some but probably less than he is of value to us).

So the earliest we could realistically make some impactful trades is December. The question is how many players are we willing to move and mess with team chemistry to trade the pick?

My guess is, if we are in a decent spot, the team probably won't make a big move that would harm our depth and risk our playoff chances. If we are behind, then I could see Dell doing something more drastic.

We might not see the pick moved at all until the summer when we have more options and the ability to also trade Hill with it.

Defensive Mind nailed it but I'd add that targets like Bledsoe that Dell was after this offseason may be easier to obtain at the trade deadline rather than now. Couple that with our terrible injury history and it could be used to help try filling the gaps should Jrue, AD, or Boogie go down for any sustained length of time.

In all honesty I agree that if you believe this team is playoff bound, why not call a team out that is willing to bet against you?

My only other add is that no analyst has claimed Boogie and Brow won't work for magical reasons. Analysts like Zach Lowe have detailed why they think it won't work. I hope it will and it'll be fun to see. If it does work we'll be the champions of a ton of fans that are sick of super-small ball and it's awesome seeing a team try not to out-Warriors the Warriors.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

It takes two teams to trade...we may be willing to make a deal now, but for most teams there's really no reason to shake things up right before the season starts.

It's funny because the question is not if we are going to trade our 1st rounder but when!

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    It takes two teams to trade...we may be willing to make a deal now, but for most teams there's really no reason to shake things up right before the season starts.
    This is exactly my thought. Actually was about to say this until I kept scrolling down the thread lol. If our pick is seen as valuable it would be dumb for a team to give up a significant player for our 1st round pick right before their season starts. Most players that have "wanted out" of their current situation has already left this off-season. Most of the tank teams are doing decent at rebuilding (Lakers, 76ers, Kings, etc.) and probably want to see who stays and goes and may make a trade before the deadline but not before the start of the season. The other teams that we know are bad (think Orlando, Pacers, Nets) have all made decent moves this offseason and some may even be competitive this season (not good but not overly embarrassing). The only team that knows they aren't good is probably PHX.

Banned
    I think the team needs to stand down.
    The new Head Coach and GM will decide what to do.
    Everyone in the league circles know change is coming in New Orleans.
    It will be interesting to see if DC stays in a Pelicans uniform after the All Star break

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    I think the team needs to stand down.
    The new Head Coach and GM will decide what to do.
    Everyone in the league circles know change is coming in New Orleans.
    It will be interesting to see if DC stays in a Pelicans uniform after the All Star break
    We can only hope!

cant really tell. On one hand there are a bunch of teams tanking that may think our pick is lotto and will give us a solid player. But we also could have a promise from Cousins to see it through and take a cheap rookie deal that may contribute next year. I think Diallo and our '18 pick for a quality PF/C is possible but I really want to keep Xiallo. Asik or Ajinca with our pick is not going to get us a big difference maker.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I think we will be OK, but by the deadline if we aren’t winning and Cousins says he has no intention to stay long term, we should trade Boogie to Cleveland for that 1st.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Unless we're getting a superstar back, then no.

We're so used to trading our 1sts that it's like 2nd nature to us. I actually want this team to have somewhat of a future.

You're not crazy, though, OP. I get your logic. Everyone else has thrown out good arguments to wait, though.....or maybe it's the other team's waiting. We have to remember, there's a lot of teams with hope now that will be hopeless in a couple of months.

I think we should be doing everything we can to bring in another wing. I would absolutely be shopping our draft picks along with Diallo. We need a SF so badly right now and landing a legit one instantly changes this team. I think Fournier is a possibility with a solid package we can offer with a 1st along with Diallo. I would love to get Middleton or Hood and would give up a little more. Either way getting a wing with that talent level would be absolutely huge for this team. Maybe around the deadline a 1st would be enough to bring Bledsoe in and we could even throw in Jackson if needed. Trade a 1st/Diallo for Fournier along a 1st/Jackson to bring in Bledsoe. Not saying it will happen but that is enough to get both players and I feel comfortable against any team in the NBA with the addition of those 2. Maybe try to bring in someone like Jones again at PF to add some big depth. Might have to move someone like Moore for the cap.

PG- Bledsoe/Rondo/Clark
    SG- Holiday/Moore/Crawford
    SF- Fournier/Hill/Miller
    PF- Davis/Dante
    C- Cousins/Ajinca

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    My assumption is there is probably multiple reasons factoring in. The simplest one is that Dell might have been told not to move the pick or at least not unless it's a game changer.

Even if he wanted to make a trade now the issue is, what Salary do we send back for a player? Asik they are likely banking on him medically retiring in February which means he's not going anywhere. Ajinca is our only backup center on the team, can't really trade him. Solomon and Jackson aren't going to be traded either due to injury. AD, Cousins aren't going anywhere.

Jrue, Rondo, Miller, Ian Clark all cannot be traded until Dec. 15th.

So basically we are left with Crawford (no value), Moore (little value maybe none), Diallo (some but probably less than he is of value to us).

So the earliest we could realistically make some impactful trades is December. The question is how many players are we willing to move and mess with team chemistry to trade the pick?

My guess is, if we are in a decent spot, the team probably won't make a big move that would harm our depth and risk our playoff chances. If we are behind, then I could see Dell doing something more drastic.

We might not see the pick moved at all until the summer when we have more options and the ability to also trade Hill with it.
    I'm just going to bump this so people know why nothing will happen trade wise until at least dec.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    Unless we're getting a superstar back, then no.

We're so used to trading our 1sts that it's like 2nd nature to us. I actually want this team to have somewhat of a future.
    I don't want us to trade our 1sts either. But as long as our owner mandate is to win immediately, we will act like there's nothing a young player can do in the NBA. Malcolm Brogdons be damned.

Even Frank Jackson and Diallo will likely be flipped at the deadline.

The Franchise
    I still like Payton and henzonja. A good pg in Rondo mold and a guy that cuts and isn't afraid to shoot at SF. Henzonja could be cheap if he keeps getting no playing time. I'd like to give Jackson a shot at pg when he comes back. Can't be worst then what we got.

I wouldn't trust Dell with my pet fish let alone a first round pick! I hope someone prevents him from trading our 1st round pick.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    If Dell is still the GM, the pick will be gone around All Star break.

As others have stated, makes no sense to trade anything until December when freshly signed players are allowed to be traded.
    By then, player fit will be determined and new possibilities will be opened.

For a small forward with ability, yes.

We're all in with this core. No point adding a 19 year old rookie at the end of the season. If it goes pear shaped, blow it up and get your young pieces that way.

My wild crazy dream scenario is to see if Milwaukee bites on a trade to send us Middleton. They don't want to trade him but might be forced to if they decide to extend Jabari. But it would take every single asset we have to get him. Chances are beyond low

My other dream target is obvious, Bledsoe. As one poster stated earlier, Bledsoe may be cheaper at the deadline but I think we need to get him into New Orleans sooner to get him integrated into the offense. And while Wednesday doesn't have me overreacting too much (because I think this squad is better in every way that last season), it has definitely made me more nervous that come trade deadline time, we are out of the playoff hunt.

In my mind, I think Dell has to go all in on this roster even if it means trading away our only assets left. Because when he traded for Boogie, he put a clock on this team. Unless Boogie physically resigns before the end of the season, I think you have to go get a difference maker.

Thread Information