Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rondo Update: had surgery, will be out 4-6 weeks

Rondo Update: had surgery, will be out 4-6 weeks

Once again, we have to learn about the status of our players from national reports as our local guys are in the dark.

I can't say I'm happy he's out, obviously, but to be honest I'm slightly relieved. Every day one of our players doesn't get hurt is one day closer to an injury. At least this resets the timer and we shouldn't have another until after we've played some games.

Well there goes 18-25% of our games. Still confident we'll make the playoffs? Sure if Clark can step up and play a good point guard role which I think he is capable of bringing the ball down the court and initiating the offense but no one on the team is anywhere close to Rondo when it comes to getting players wide open shots or even placing the ball in a good position for a teammate to score. Guess we'll have to be a great defensive team until he's back.

when was the last time this team has all starters healthy at the beginning of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    when was the last time this team has all starters healthy at the beginning of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    yeah, something like that

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I can't say I'm happy he's out, obviously, but to be honest I'm slightly relieved. Every day one of our players doesn't get hurt is one day closer to an injury. At least this resets the timer and we shouldn't have another until after we've played some games.
    As true as this is, it's sad that our mentality as a fanbase has come down to this. But I agree. We gotta take every day of health as a blessing.

I'm just happy he had it now. Hopefully he comes back in 4 weeks, he'd probably miss 12 games or so which isn't the worst.

I guess the good in this is that it's non of our "Big 3". As long as they are ok we have a chance to win on most nights. With Rondo still on the sideline and Tony Allen in the game we will still have that veteran leadership presence on the team.

I think we need jrue to play close to that precall star break level from last season...if that happens I think the team will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by glepurple View Post
    I think we need jrue to play close to that precall star break level from last season...if that happens I think the team will be fine.
    Gentry needs to beat it into his head that he needs to find a way to give the team 20 points a night for the next month and a half.

If Jrue is not consistently scoring game to game, with at least passable efficiency, that means you are going to be asking Cunningham, Moore, Crawford, Clarke, Diallo, and Tony Allen to pick up the scoring slack for you.

The only nights that should happen is if Jrue notices one of them is really having a hot night.

That's kind of brilliant really -- if you can just have all of your players out with injury, then nobody else can get hurt! True nirvana is within reach!

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Gentry needs to beat it into his head that he needs to find a way to give the team 20 points a night for the next month and a half.

If Jrue is not consistently scoring game to game, with at least passable efficiency, that means you are going to be asking Cunningham, Moore, Crawford, Clarke, Diallo, and Tony Allen to pick up the scoring slack for you.

The only nights that should happen is if Jrue notices one of them is really having a hot night.
    I agree it hurts that jrue doesn’t consistently get to the line tho. Hopefully he can capitalize from ad and boogie getting the team in the penalty early in games.

It’s misreable being a Pelicans fan. You can never get your hopes up with this team.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    It’s misreable being a Pelicans fan. You can never get your hopes up with this team.
    Someday, when everything starts going right and all the bandwagon fans show up, we'll be able to say we were always fans. I sure as hell help that day comes before I'm old and gray. Lol.
    RIP FlyGirl

Well, a lottery pick and possible Dell and Alvin not getting extensions. I'm excited guys...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rel11 View Post
    Someday, when everything starts going right and all the bandwagon fans show up, we'll be able to say we were always fans. I sure as hell help that day comes before I'm old and gray. Lol.
    Welcome Rel and love the signature.

I just keep telling myself we started last year with:

PG- Tim Frazier
    SG- E'Twaun Moore
    SF- Solomon Hill
    PF- Anthony Davis
    C- Omer Asik

Having Jrue Holiday and Demarcus Cousins is a massive difference to that at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel11 View Post
    It worked for me with the Saints, why not the Pels?

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Welcome Rel and love the signature.

I just keep telling myself we started last year with:

PG- Tim Frazier
    SG- E'Twaun Moore
    SF- Solomon Hill
    PF- Anthony Davis
    C- Omer Asik

Having Jrue Holiday and Demarcus Cousins is a massive difference to that at least.
    Yeah true! It makes Rondo missing a month not so bad. We all know that pelicans players are going to get hurt. It's just a matter of how long lol.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post

I hope Gentry reads this forum

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

Rondo Update: had surgery, will be out 4-6 weeks

We play 22 games between now and 12/1, I'm being slightly pessimistic with the return date as 4-6 weeks should put him back somewhere between well before Thanksgiving and the week of. The Pels play 8 games they should be favored in regardless of Rondos status: let's say they go 5-3.

They play 7 games against contenders. These are games we would be solid underdogs even with Rondo. I'm grouping the Raptors on the road and Minny on the road in this subset. Let's say they go 2-5.

The last group are toss up games in my opinion. How we fare here will determine how bad the Rondo injury was. Can they go 3-4 or better? If they can that'll be .500 ball.

Rondos injury lowers the ceiling on what we CAN BE, but him being out doesn't fundamentally change our baseline in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It all depends on if we get 1st half Holiday (awful), or 2nd half Holiday (good).

This team doesn't really need Rondo if it gets 2nd half Holiday in most of those games. But you just never know. Dude has mental issues with being assertive annd avoiding lazy turnovers.

Banned
    The first 20 games will tell the story for the season !

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    The first 20 games will tell the story for the season !
    Really this is truer than I want it to be. We need to get a .500 team to start the season and not get behind again. Last year we played 500 ball once Jrue got back but we were already too far in the hole. Can't let that happen again.

I expect AD and Cousins to come out extremely hard at the first Grizzlies game to set the ton for the season. They are going to want a win really bad and I think we will get it.

Thread Information