Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Preseason Game 2 GAMEDAY Thread PELS at OKC

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    After watching these couple games, PG is a weakness. I don't feel comfortable with anyone other than Rondo with the ball. Jrue is looking more and more like a SG and turning the ball over when he's playing point. Clark, Moore, Allen, and Crawford are all SGs as well. Crawford likes ISO ball too much so I'd say move Crawford for any decent young PG since we have 4 other SGs and miller who could play SG as well. Does Crawford have any value to get something decent in return?
    I doubt Crawford has much value.

Remember, if not for us, Crawford possibly wouldn’t be in the NBA. To get positive value he would need to be playing more like the Crawford of last season, not the one that got him out of the league in the first place. Which is how he has looked unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Jrue is complicit in this, after all the club did for him and his wife then holds us to ransom and a drastic overpay as you say
    It's business, but it's obvious that we big against ourselves to keep him from testing the market. He was injured all 4 years with us. Atleast Gordon actually put a whole season for us. Jrue didn't. No one was giving him that max. Hell... We probably still the highest contract at 20 million. I don't understand how someone was ridiculous injured can get AD money with half the production.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It's business, but it's obvious that we big against ourselves to keep him from testing the market. He was injured all 4 years with us. Atleast Gordon actually put a whole season for us. Jrue didn't. No one was giving him that max. Hell... We probably still the highest contract at 20 million. I don't understand how someone was ridiculous injured can get AD money with half the production.
    It's easy. Demps likes to put himself in a corner and it usually forces him into a bad decision. Its nothing new. Let's hope Holiday manages to play up to 3/4 of what his contract is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I doubt Crawford has much value.

Remember, if not for us, Crawford possibly wouldn’t be in the NBA. To get positive value he would need to be playing more like the Crawford of last season, not the one that got him out of the league in the first place. Which is how he has looked unfortunately.
    To be fair, Crawford hasn't had much time, if any, with the bigs so he is back to trying to create on his own. He sucks at that. He's money when playing off of the other guys which he really hasn't had a chance to do yet in these 2 games. Honestly, he might need to show more here if Perry Jones continues to show up and improve because he might bump grits off the team due to our depth at the 3.

I like Jones at 3 but I don't want to lose Grits. Maybe we can dump Ajinca and keep Jones. Seems like that would be ideal.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I see people are taking preseason well
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    To be fair, Crawford hasn't had much time, if any, with the bigs so he is back to trying to create on his own. He sucks at that. He's money when playing off of the other guys which he really hasn't had a chance to do yet in these 2 games. Honestly, he might need to show more here if Perry Jones continues to show up and improve because he might bump grits off the team due to our depth at the 3.

I like Jones at 3 but I don't want to lose Grits. Maybe we can dump Ajinca and keep Jones. Seems like that would be ideal.
    We've already tried to dump Ajinca

It's a glorified scrimmage. Don't get down on us after this loss. Sure the Thunder are just gelling, and we have been together for the better part of a year, but they have 3 top 20 players, while we only have 2.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    It's a glorified scrimmage. Don't get down on us after this loss. Sure the Thunder are just gelling, and we have been together for the better part of a year, but they have 3 top 20 players, while we only have 2.
    I agree with most of this post except the 3 top 20 players. Melo is not a top 20 player anymore.

Who else hopes we see some Tony Allen playing tomorrow?!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Who else hopes we see some Tony Allen playing tomorrow?!
    That would be great. I think his defense will affect the games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    That would be great. I think his defense will affect the games.

Absolutely, I guess he's just been held out these past few games to save his older legs until the games start to count.
    Btw, hope everyone stays safe with this 'cane.

Ajinca is a liability and we need to dump him. We need Crawford for scoring. Put him in with Rondo and Boogie for a few minutes. I want to see if he can give the team consistent scoring. What about signing Alexander? I like him.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Yet Jrue is the 18th highest paid in the league

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Good for him.

Good for him, next season he will be somewhere in the 30-40 range. And yes l, I agree, he is overpaid, but you have to overpay when you aren't a winner.

Will people please stop with the crap about how much Jrue is making. What were the alternatives? Realistically, what other options were available? We didn't have enough cap to sign anyone even close to Jrue's level. So please, just stop already.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Will people please stop with the crap about how much Jrue is making. What were the alternatives? Realistically, what other options were available? We didn't have enough cap to sign anyone even close to Jrue's level. So please, just stop already.
    They also assume like their opinion is the only one that matters. What if AD and Cousins wanted Jrue to come back? As in, Cousins actively discussing coming back to the team.

Think just letting Jrue walk because we wanna be cheap was an acceptable outcome to keeping Cousins long term? And really, I love how you never get real alternatives. You hardly see those negative types put themselves out there with ideas of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    They also assume like their opinion is the only one that matters. What if AD and Cousins wanted Jrue to come back? As in, Cousins actively discussing coming back to the team.

Think just letting Jrue walk because we wanna be cheap was an acceptable outcome to keeping Cousins long term? And really, I love how you never get real alternatives. You hardly see those negative types put themselves out there with ideas of their own.
    seriously, if anyone has a better idea than what we did let's hear it. No trades a allowed to be discussed because that requires another team to agree. If we didn't bring Jrue back, who would we have picked up to replace him at, how much cap did we have available, 12 mil per year? I don't think we had enough to get Teague and there was no guarantee he would have come here anyway. He was the only comparable player available to Jrue and the defense would have certainly taken a step back. So after Teague who else? Patty Mills? He likely wasn't leaving the Spurs without an overpay so now you have a downgrade at the position and you are still overpaying.

Okay, I'm waiting. Let's hear the realistic alternatives.

seriously, if anyone has a better idea than what we did let's hear it. No trades a allowed to be discussed because that requires another team to agree. If we didn't bring Jrue back, who would we have picked up to replace him at, how much cap did we have available, 12 mil per year? I don't think we had enough to get Teague and there was no guarantee he would have come here anyway. He was the only comparable player available to Jrue and the defense would have certainly taken a step back. So after Teague who else? Patty Mills? He likely wasn't leaving the Spurs without an overpay so now you have a downgrade at the position and you are still overpaying.

Okay, I'm waiting. Let's hear the realistic alternatives.
    JRUE is healthy and he's going to prove that he was worth every penny. There is no sensible alternative. We are going to have a chance to make the playoffs and maybe actually do something if we get there.

JRUE is healthy and he's going to prove that he was worth every penny. There is no sensible alternative. We are going to have a chance to make the playoffs and maybe actually do something if we get there.

If he proves himself worth his money, he will be a top 15 player in the league. I like the optimism but i think that is a little out of reach. Hope I am wrong though. If we get the Jrue we got tonight on most nights, with no games like the first two, he will be in a place no one will be worried about his contract. Jrue's problem has always been consistency though.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 10-08-2017 at 11:39 PM.

But Jrue is not a good point guard. That's just a reality at this point. Mentally that spot is just not a fit for him. The coaching staff knows this.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    But Jrue is not a good point guard. That's just a reality at this point. Mentally that spot is just not a fit for him. The coaching staff knows this.
    Having Cousins with Finch slowly tinkering with the offense behind the scenes should help though.

Before Rondo, I was really excited about Finch creating a sort of hybrid offense like Denver had using Cousins in the Jokic role. In such a situation you don’t necessarily need a Mike Conley or Rondo type to run the offense every possession. Just some guards that can move the ball and make the right reads and reactions. Only occasionally being a primary distributor.

When you think about it, Jrue, Moore, Cunningham, Davis, Cousins is a pretty solid lineup in its own right. You have five capable long range shooters, decent cutters, and multiple ball handlers. More so with Davis seeming progression in that area as well. Defensively everyone is capable of switching and playing with physical teams.

It’s the bench I’m worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    He's a ball handler. That's good enough in today's positionless basketball

Thread Information