Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: E'twaun Moore, Small Forward

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

E'twaun Moore, Small Forward

With Solomon Hill out, SF is the remaining open spot in the starting line up

1 - Rondo
    2 - Holiday
    3 -
    4 - Davis
    5 - Cousins

Cunningham, Allen, and Miller are all options at SF, but Moore could actually be the best fit in the starting lineup. He is the best perimeter shooter on the team, and there's enough ball handling in the starting lineup that Moore can play to his strength as a spot up shooter. He has shown the defensive ability to guard bigger players on the wing. It kind of makes sense on both sides of the ball.

hell no too small

I advocate for Tony Allen to start. Play him the first 5 minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters then substitute when needed.

He's not the best perimeter shooter on the team, either.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanNation View Post
    hell no too small
    Moore and Allen both listed as 6'4"

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He's not the best perimeter shooter on the team, either.
    Who is better?

Cunningham shot a higher percentage on almost exactly the same number of attempts per game (2.8 per game for Moore, 2.7 per game for Cunningham). Crawford shot a higher percentage for 2+ more attempts per game.

Cunningham shot a higher percentage on almost exactly the same number of attempts per game (2.8 per game for Moore, 2.7 per game for Cunningham). Crawford shot a higher percentage for 2+ more attempts per game.
    To be fair though, Moore shot like 45% his last year in Chicago. So he at least has a better track record.

Gentry appears to like having Moore come off the bench and he's been reluctant to use three guard lineups in the past. I would expect to see Miller start so Cunningham can take the backup PF minutes. That would leave the backup SF minutes to be divided between Allen and Clark.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 09-27-2017 at 07:59 PM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    To be fair though, Moore shot like 45% his last year in Chicago. So he at least has a better track record.
    Maybe if that happened during more than one season I’d be more inclined to go along. He took 100 three point shots that year in Chicago. The 650 three pointers he has taken before and since he has hit at only 35.5%.

I would hope with continual repetition, the open looks our bigs can generate, and our shooting coaches, that Moore can at least be as good or better than his 37% last year, but I’m not ready to expect an Eric Gordon type output.

Though he’s always been streaky, so maybe with the other shooting guards we have, we relegate him to usage on the nights he is hot, at least maximizing his output. IDK. Just hot-taking it up.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    That's true, he shot 45.2% on less than 2 attempts per game. It would be a dream if he could meet somewhere in the middle and shoot something like 42% on 3/4 attempts per game. No clue if that will ever happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Maybe if that happened during more than one season I’d be more inclined to go along. He took 100 three point shots that year in Chicago. The 650 three pointers he has taken before and since he has hit at only 35.5%.

I would hope with continual repetition, the open looks our bigs can generate, and our shooting coaches, that Moore can at least be as good or better than his 37% last year, but I’m not ready to expect an Eric Gordon type output.

Though he’s always been streaky, so maybe with the other shooting guards we have, we relegate him to usage on the nights he is hot, at least maximizing his output. IDK. Just hot-taking it up.
    That's true, he shot 45.2% on less than 2 attempts per game. It would be a dream if he could meet somewhere in the middle and shoot something like 42% on 3/4 attempts per game. No clue if that will ever happen though.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Moore and Allen both listed as 6'4"
    Yes, but one is tough as nails, physical, rebounds, and has been part-iming at SF for years.

The other is really a pure SG that would be playing up out of position in a murderous Western Conference. Gentry has threatened to platoon the spot, which I generally think is a bad idea because it doesn't allow a team to settle in and develop chemistry. But in this case..maybe. You could start Moore against the teams that don't have threats at SF. He could start against the Jazz or the Kings or the Rockets. But he would get slaughtered if you messed around with that against Golden State or OKC or the Spurs.

You really think Cunningham is the best perimeter shooter on the team? Last season was the first time Cunningham has looked good shooting from the perimeter, and he shot almost exclusively open corner 3's. He did look much improved shooting the corner 3 and I think that should earn him an increased role. But it doesn't mean he is a better spot up perimeter shooter than Moore. If you look at their career numbers from the perimeter there is a pretty big difference.

Crawford played 19 games in the last 3 years, so yeah.... Moore is our best perimeter shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Yes, but one is tough as nails, physical, rebounds, and has been part-iming at SF for years.

The other is really a pure SG that would be playing up out of position in a murderous Western Conference. Gentry has threatened to platoon the spot, which I generally think is a bad idea because it doesn't allow a team to settle in and develop chemistry. But in this case..maybe. You could start Moore against the teams that don't have threats at SF. He could start against the Jazz or the Kings or the Rockets. But he would get slaughtered if you messed around with that against Golden State or OKC or the Spurs.
    Don't the Pelicans switch on defense a lot? He already has experience guarding 3's. As I understand the Pelicans are quite comfortable with Moore guarding small forwards, a big part of his value is the ability to guard guys bigger than him.

You really think Cunningham is the best perimeter shooter on the team? Last season was the first time Cunningham has looked good shooting from the perimeter, and he shot almost exclusively open corner 3's. He did look much improved shooting the corner 3 and I think that should earn him an increased role. But it doesn't mean he is a better spot up perimeter shooter than Moore. If you look at their career numbers from the perimeter there is a pretty big difference.

Crawford played 19 games in the last 3 years, so yeah.... Moore is our best perimeter shooter.
    Not at all. Obviously Moore has the potential to be our best perimeter shooter, but you have to consider attempts too. The year he shot over 45% from 3, he took less than two shots from that distance per game. Last year was actually the first year in his career that he took more than 2 per game and shot over 36%. Cunningham, by contrast, shot over 39% from 3, on an equal number of attempts in only his second year shooting threes at all. Obviously Moore has shown the potential to be a truly knockout shooter, but you'd be lying to yourself to think that Moore's 45% year was anything other than a huge anomaly in his career so far.

Not at all. Obviously Moore has the potential to be our best perimeter shooter, but you have to consider attempts too. The year he shot over 45% from 3, he took less than two shots from that distance per game. Last year was actually the first year in his career that he took more than 2 per game and shot over 36%. Cunningham, by contrast, shot over 39% from 3, on an equal number of attempts in only his second year shooting threes at all. Obviously Moore has shown the potential to be a truly knockout shooter, but you'd be lying to yourself to think that Moore's 45% year was anything other than a huge anomaly in his career so far.
    If you are going to dismiss Moore's best shooting season as an outlier have to do the same with Cunningham. I'm not saying Moore is lights out, but he is a better perimeter shooter than Cunningham and he's the best we got.

Don't the Pelicans switch on defense a lot? He already has experience guarding 3's. As I understand the Pelicans are quite comfortable with Moore guarding small forwards, a big part of his value is the ability to guard guys bigger than him.
    Well, Moore's defensive value is a bit dubious. By the numbers he's a mildly minus defender. And whatever defensive scheme the Pels have used in the past is necessarily going to have to be adjusted to a new roster full of combo guards and big F/Cs and Cs. Makes it hard to switch effectively without many quality midsize bodies.

I think Miller is pretty clearly the best fit if he has truly improved his confidence. He has every tool the Pels want in a starting SF, and gives them freedom to run DC at the backup 4. All he has to do is hit the 3 and not have sticky hands on O, and provide average D. Not really asking much and I think he'll provide.

Love Moore's skill set but his versatility is needed on the bench unit.

If you are going to dismiss Moore's best shooting season as an outlier have to do the same with Cunningham. I'm not saying Moore is lights out, but he is a better perimeter shooter than Cunningham and he's the best we got.
    Even if the %s are the same, Moore is taking more difficult 3s than Cunningham, it's not really close.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I think Miller is pretty clearly the best fit if he has truly improved his confidence. He has every tool the Pels want in a starting SF, and gives them freedom to run DC at the backup 4. All he has to do is hit the 3 and not have sticky hands on O, and provide average D. Not really asking much and I think he'll provide.

Love Moore's skill set but his versatility is needed on the bench unit.
    I wonder how his defence is gonna look like. Did he get better or worse while playing in Europe. My guess is that he got better offensively but possibly get worse defencively as probably it wasnt really required from him and he didnt have to guard NBA level players. I remember him being a bit slow but decent defensively.

I'm not dismissing it, I've already said he definitely has shown the potential, but the fact is that he also has multiple other years shooting 2+ attempts per game, and falling well short of 40%. They both have one season of 40% shooting, the difference is that Cunningham has only tried twice whereas Moore has been trying for a long time and has just fallen short. And in their individual 40% seasons, Cunningham shot way more attempts, so if anyone had the more massive sample size at 40%, it's Cunningham and we can't just assume Moore will be our best shooter.

SOURCE: NBA DRAFT COMBINE

Looking at the physical measurements several players can guard the three. In rare cases AD can also be used

PLAYER HEIGHT W/SHOES WINGSPAN STANDING REACH NO STEP VERTICAL

E'TWAUN MOORE 6'4" 6'9.5" 8'3.5" 32"

JORDAN CRAWFORD 6'4.5" 6'7" 8'5" 31.5"

JRUE HOLIDAY 6'4" 6'7" 8'4.5" 28.5"

TONY ALLEN 6'4" 6'9" 8'6" 31.5"

DARIUS MILLER 6'7.5" 6'9" 8'5" 33"

SOLOMON HILL 6'7" 6'9" 8'7" 29.5"

DANTE CUNNINGHAM 6'8" 6'11" 8'10.5" 28"

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I see Cunningham as the starting SF. Moore will be a liability guarding other SF. If we put Moore in at SF it should be off the bench and he should have Tony Allen playing SG with him so they can switch against tough SFs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

E'twaun Moore, Small Forward

#DoItBig

Rondo, Clark

Holiday, Moore

Miller, Allen

Davis, Cunningham, Diallo

Cousins.

Cunningham plays 3 when the matchup is intense.

AD is the "back up Center"

Ajinca and Crawford spot start or play more, if injury. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information