Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Asik now an asset?

Is Asik now an asset?

With the new revelation of Asik's Crohn's Disease, there is some chatter of a medical retirement. If we can come to an agreement with Asik to medically retire (ala Minny with Pekovic), then can we flip Asik's contract to a team that is over the salary cap for either a pick or a young prospect? I mean, if you can clear $10 ish million off your cap for a team that is paying the tax, that's a lot of money saved. I'd have to assume that is quite valuable.

First, Q-Pon with Staph MRSA. Now, Asik with Crohn's Disease. I'm just waiting on the next Pelican to come out and say they have Stigmata.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    With the new revelation of Asik's Crohn's Disease, there is some chatter of a medical retirement.

I hadn't heard this, awesome news for the Pels cap situation

Let me say I wish the big fella well and hopeful good health.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I hope this ends well for Asik. But getting out from under that contract would be a huge boon for us.

The process for medical retirement is he must not play for 1 year from the date of his last game played, then he is evaluated by an independent (NBA + player union decided) doctor who determines if he will be able to play again without health risk. If he is determined to not be able to play again then his contract can be removed from the books.

Stop worrying about trying to game the system. *If* Asik can even get a medical retirement that in and of itself would be a HUGE help to the team cap wise.

Without digging into the actual rules involved in something like this, in the least it would appear so shady thst the NBA could deny any trade and in the most there is probably specific verbiage to stop something like this from happening. I do know that the CBA has specific rules for not trying to cheat the system in how you can manage the cap and make trades. Basically just because the CBA does not say you can't do something, doesn't mean you can. You have to operate within the limits of the CBA.

This is of course ignoring the most obvious problem with the suggestion, which is, if we are trading Asik so another team can clear cap space then they would very likely be sending back a bad contract. This is the exact opposite of what we want or need. Asik off the books is worth more than a late 1st pick and another bad contract eating up our space.

[QUOTE=Mythrol;1431382]The process for medical retirement is he must not play for 1 year from the date of his last game played, then he is evaluated by an independent (NBA + player union decided) doctor who determines if he will be able to play again without health risk. If he is determined to not be able to play again then his contract can be removed from the books.

what was the date of his last game played?

February tenth was the last game he played for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I'm just waiting on the next Pelican to come out and say they have Stigmata.
    If they have stigmata they would most likely be a Saint!

Medical retirement is clearly the best option for all the involved parties, Asik still gets paid, The pelicans get cap and save luxury tax payments.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    February tenth was the last game he played for us.
    Funny because the trade deadline is supposed to be Feb. 8th this year I believe. A lot riding on whether he plays or not. Specifically our 1st round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Funny because the trade deadline is supposed to be Feb. 8th this year I believe. A lot riding on whether he plays or not. Specifically our 1st round pick.
    What situation is better for our first?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    What situation is better for our first?
    If Asik has to retire then you don't have to attach a first in order to trade him, so you could move the first for a different asset or hold onto it.

If Asik is forced to retire and we're in a decent position to make the playoffs, I think Dell either trades the pick for an expiring contract or keeps it this year. Normally I think he's inclined to trade it for a contributor, but the Pels aren't really in a position to do that with their cap situation going into the offseason. Makes a lot more sense to have that rookie deal on the books this year than it did in previous years.

A trade that could make a lot of sense however would be our top 10 protected first 1st to the Hawks for Dedmon or Bellinelli and their 2nd. Dell gets the early 2nd rounder that he loves as well as bench depth at a position of need (both guys are most likely expiring), and Atlanta gets an asset they desperately need.

I don't think the Pelicans would trade him at the deadline this year if it cost a 1st round pick.

If he doesn't get a medical retirement I'm assuming next summer would be the better time to trade him.

He can medically retire only as a Pelican.
    So Dell will probably remain with him for this season. And will evaluate around deadline.
    So he is not a trade asset.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    He can medically retire only as a Pelican.
    So Dell will probably remain with him for this season. And will evaluate around deadline.
    So he is not a trade asset.
    Thanks

I think that apart from financial reasons (lower cost of stretching him for less years) - this is why Dell decided to remain with him.
    In case of possible medical retirement.

Probably it is to early to think about it.

but Good luck Turkish Hammer

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Hope he gets better. All of this relief the team might get I assume is for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by smcgull View Post
    Hope he gets better. All of this relief the team might get I assume is for next year.
    Yeah it's not gonna help this year unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Yeah it's not gonna help this year unfortunately
    If he is ruled as medically unable to play his cap hit can be removed immediately. So depending when/if the Pelicans ask for it his cap hit for this year could be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If he is ruled as medically unable to play his cap hit can be removed immediately. So depending when/if the Pelicans ask for it his cap hit for this year could be removed.
    Can't be ruled medically unable to play until after the trade deadline though so it wouldn't really be possible to use that space on anything above replacement level players this season

Can't be ruled medically unable to play until after the trade deadline though so it wouldn't really be possible to use that space on anything above replacement level players this season
    We're over the cap anyway so even if he was off the books before we'd still only have the exceptions to add a player. The point is though that him coming off the books this year is still beneficial because of how close we are to the luxury tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We're over the cap anyway so even if he was off the books before we'd still only have the exceptions to add a player. The point is though that him coming off the books this year is still beneficial because of how close we are to the luxury tax.
    Would it also move us away from the hard cap? Or is there a different trigger for it?

I just read about that disease. Poor Asik

Thread Information