Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is Asik now an asset?

Is Asik now an asset?

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Would it also move us away from the hard cap? Or is there a different trigger for it?
    Yes, it would move us Asik's entire cap hit (including his unlikely incentives) further away from the hard cap.

He is 31, long term remission is possible. He's at Mayo, with the best treatment in the country. If he has a glimmer of playing the game he loves, why would he retire? He'll never get a contract like this again even if he was healthy, but he could get on with another team that needs depth or has injured C's. I just don't get his incentive for retiring if he has even the smallest possibility to play in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    He is 31, long term remission is possible. He's at Mayo, with the best treatment in the country. If he has a glimmer of playing the game he loves, why would he retire? He'll never get a contract like this again even if he was healthy, but he could get on with another team that needs depth or has injured C's. I just don't get his incentive for retiring if he has even the smallest possibility to play in the next few years.
    pretty sure he still gets paid in the event of medical retirement.

He still receives all of his guaranteed money if he medically retires. I doubt even if he comes back if he will ever sign another contract in the NBA again. The NBA game has shifted far too much for a NBA team to even waste a roster spot on him. Especially after such a serious sickness.

He'll never get a contract again even if he was healthy
    EFA

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Asik won't play for the team again. It's better for him and us for him to just collect his checks until such time that's he able to receive whatever medical hardship is available to him. Pels have no reason to move him because insurance is already footing the bill. The chances of something enticing coming along before the deadline is slim to none. If the Pels do have an opportunity to strike, it'll most likely be using one of the trade exceptions in which case you send out Crawford to keep the money square and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My narrow understanding is he'll be paid remainder of his contract which is what 2 years, after which he will be 33-34? Is there some long term retirement pension NBA players get? Everyone seems to be glossing over the possibility he doesn't want to retire.

Larry Nance, Jr has Chron's, still playing.

I want the Turkish Anchor off the books as much as the next guy, but just because the league has moved on from him doesn't mean he has moved on from the league.

Asik retiring won't affect his pension, and it won't prevent him from playing again later if he wants/is able/can find anyone to sign him. In fact, the medical review doesn't even have to be something he goes along with (see Bosh who wanted to keep playing).

Asik has no way to get minutes on this team even if he is healthy. He should just work on his body for general health reasons. Unlikely anyone would take a chance on him with his condition and limited skill set. Perhaps the Turkey national team should he improve medically.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Asik retiring won't affect his pension, and it won't prevent him from playing again later if he wants/is able/can find anyone to sign him. In fact, the medical review doesn't even have to be something he goes along with (see Bosh who wanted to keep playing).
    Good to know. Thanks!

So he's back. Does Asik playing making him an asset now?

A negative asset, sure.

An asset to us since he is the only backup center on the team that can play right now? Yes.

An asset in a trade? Not even close.

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were since some were so sure about this medical retirement nonsense.

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were since some were so sure about this medical retirement nonsense.
    Demoralizing.

I think it was always a long-shot, but the only sliver of hope this franchise has had in some time since that Demps roster crippling move.

If he can give us 8-12 solid minutes at the level he played during our playoff run season, that is the best hope I currently have. Which to be fair would be pretty good for this team to have.

I guess my long-shot would be Asik could go get some hyperhidrosis treatments for his hand sweating. We got enough people with tendencies to fumble the basketball as it is.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 11-28-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Bruh hand sweat treatments? Hahaha

Thread Information