.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 74

Thread: Melo to okc

  1. #1

    Breaking News Melo to okc

    Melo to okc for kanter McDermott and pick

  2. #2
    Well damn

  3. #3
    Petty soon there will be no east.

  4. #4
    Why do teams give away their superstars to OKC constantly and get back trash in return?

  5. #5
    https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ony-To-Thunder

    The New York Knicks and Oklahoma City Thunder are engaged in serious trade talks involving Carmelo Anthony.

    The Thunder would send Enes Kanter, Doug McDermott and the Chicago Bulls' 2018 second round pick to the Knicks for Anthony.

    Anthony will likely waive his no-trade clause with a trade call coming on Monday.

  6. #6
    It's going to be tough put west. Rondo. Jrue. allen. Brow. boogie. Vs. Russ roberson pg13 melo adams this is 2k lmao

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Why do teams give away their superstars to OKC constantly and get back trash in return?
    Because Sam Presti is magic. Remember back when he was with the Spurs and was behind drafting Tony Parker with the 28th pick. He's always had an eye for steals, clever deals, and maximising assets. In many ways he's a dream GM.

  8. #8
    Melo guarding AD lol!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Because Sam Presti is magic. Remember back when he was with the Spurs and was behind drafting Tony Parker with the 28th pick. He's always had an eye for steals, clever deals, and maximising assets. In many ways he's a dream GM.
    Whatever OKC is paying him, the Pels could quadruple it and it would be the single best ROI this organization could ever make.

    One of the best in the game.

    With that said, OKC realizes there is only one basketball on the court at a time? Melo and Russ should be very interesting. And Paul George has had a number of ego moments himself. Like flipping out at not given the last shot. Not that Presti isn't masterful for pulling this off, but it is an odd fit. And not sure they have the coach to pull it off.

  10. #10
    Dell steals a superstar: lucky. Presti steals a superstar: best GM in the league.

    This deal had nothing to do with Presti's "skill and eye for talent." It had to do with having the best poo poo platter out of the handful of teams that Melo consented to. Look at the other teams available and then tell me whether this trade was that hard to pull off. It's the same thing that happened to Dell. Melo was made available at the right time and under the right circumstances. Kudos to OKC for taking advantage of the opportunity. But let's not paint this as some masterful stroke. That's ignorant of its context.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 09-23-2017 at 02:02 PM.

    "I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Dell steals a superstar: lucky. Presti steals a superstar: best GM in the league.
    More like:
    Dell steals a super star after years of awful moves, poor signings, overpayments, and general terribleness: seems like a lucky move.
    Presti works his way up the Spurs chain of command, plays a huge part in forcing the draft for Parker, goes to OKC, drafts Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, and Adams, then makes two superstar trades with no assets in one offseason: best GM in the league.

    Makes a bit more sense when you put it like that.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Dell steals a superstar: lucky. Presti steals a superstar: best GM in the league.
    Crazy. And Demps stole the better and younger superstar.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    More like:
    Dell steals a super star after years of awful moves, poor signings, overpayments, and general terribleness: seems like a lucky move.
    Presti works his way up the Spurs chain of command, plays a huge part in forcing the draft for Parker, goes to OKC, drafts Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, and Adams, then makes two superstar trades with no assets in one offseason: best GM in the league.

    Makes a bit more sense when you put it like that.
    Tell me what he did between letting Harden go for Ibaka (which was one of the worst decisions in recent memory) and trading for George. I'll wait.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    More like:
    Dell steals a super star after years of awful moves, poor signings, overpayments, and general terribleness: seems like a lucky move.
    Presti works his way up the Spurs chain of command, plays a huge part in forcing the draft for Parker, goes to OKC, drafts Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, and Adams, then makes two superstar trades with no assets in one offseason: best GM in the league.

    Makes a bit more sense when you put it like that.
    Presti lost Harden, Durant and Ibaka though. Imagine if Demps lost 2 MVP candidates. One whom he traded for an expring Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and Steven Adams. Yeah best GM in the league

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    More like:
    Dell steals a super star after years of awful moves, poor signings, overpayments, and general terribleness: seems like a lucky move.
    Presti works his way up the Spurs chain of command, plays a huge part in forcing the draft for Parker, goes to OKC, drafts Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, and Adams, then makes two superstar trades with no assets in one offseason: best GM in the league.

    Makes a bit more sense when you put it like that.
    Wasnt presti and demps working for spurs at same time.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Whatever OKC is paying him, the Pels could quadruple it and it would be the single best ROI this organization could ever make.

    One of the best in the game.

    With that said, OKC realizes there is only one basketball on the court at a time? Melo and Russ should be very interesting. And Paul George has had a number of ego moments himself. Like flipping out at not given the last shot. Not that Presti isn't masterful for pulling this off, but it is an odd fit. And not sure they have the coach to pull it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Tell me what he did between letting Harden go for Ibaka (which was one of the worst decisions in recent memory) and trading for George. I'll wait.
    I seem to remember the justification for shipping out Harden was because it was a bad fit with Durant, Westbrook and Harden all demanding the ball. So why will ir be easier with Westbrook, PG13 and Melo? At least they play different positions. But yeah I'm excited to watch Melo attempt to guard AD. Plus we might actually have enough defenders to slow these guys down a little.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Presti lost Harden, Durant and Ibaka though. Imagine if Demps lost 2 MVP candidates. One whom he traded for an expring Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and Steven Adams. Yeah best GM in the league
    He lost Harden due to contract issues, as they were unable to agree on a contract. Obviously in retrospect choosing Harden over Ibaka is the obvious choice, but from the perspective of OKC they already had Westbrook and Durant who were high level offensive players, and Ibaka was coming off a year averaging 3.7blks a game and looked to be a huge defensive centerpiece. Like I said, in retrospect it's obvious who you would pick but at the time there could have been an argument made that Harden wouldn't have been worth the money he was demanding.
    You can't blame Presti for Durant leaving, because Durant had been tampered with all season and was already determined to leave to go play with his buddies in Golden State. I'm convinced that nothing Presti could have done would have changed that.

    With any given GM, you can take certain moves out of context and make them look dreadful. On the whole though, Presti arrived at a Thunder team that won 20 games that year, and took them to perennial title contenders and conference finalists for years. Dell has so far failed at making us a consistent playoffs team at all. So personally yes, I think Presti has earned accolades and Dell has yet to prove himself to be on that level.

  18. #18
    Another team trades for a Player that most Pelicans fans didn't want and the team had no chance of getting due to a no trade clause. . .

    Thread spent arguing how bad Dell is.

    /facepalm

  19. #19
    In fairness, I'm more trying to defend Presti than anything ��

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He lost Harden due to contract issues, as they were unable to agree on a contract. Obviously in retrospect choosing Harden over Ibaka is the obvious choice, but from the perspective of OKC they already had Westbrook and Durant who were high level offensive players, and Ibaka was coming off a year averaging 3.7blks a game and looked to be a huge defensive centerpiece. Like I said, in retrospect it's obvious who you would pick but at the time there could have been an argument made that Harden wouldn't have been worth the money he was demanding.
    You can't blame Presti for Durant leaving, because Durant had been tampered with all season and was already determined to leave to go play with his buddies in Golden State. I'm convinced that nothing Presti could have done would have changed that.

    With any given GM, you can take certain moves out of context and make them look dreadful. On the whole though, Presti arrived at a Thunder team that won 20 games that year, and took them to perennial title contenders and conference finalists for years. Dell has so far failed at making us a consistent playoffs team at all. So personally yes, I think Presti has earned accolades and Dell has yet to prove himself to be on that level.
    You didn't answer my question.

    And you can justify a horrific move all you want. It doesn't make it not horrific.

  21. #21
    The Franchise
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jacksonville,fl/new orleans
    Posts
    1,610
    kanter was a big reason okc was able to deal with GS by him and adams being a force inside with rebounds and scoring......okc may have over played their hand with this one.....hell,,next season okc may trade melo to houston just to get something back b4 he walk.....

  22. #22
    ADfan23 tyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He lost Harden due to contract issues, as they were unable to agree on a contract. Obviously in retrospect choosing Harden over Ibaka is the obvious choice, but from the perspective of OKC they already had Westbrook and Durant who were high level offensive players, and Ibaka was coming off a year averaging 3.7blks a game and looked to be a huge defensive centerpiece. Like I said, in retrospect it's obvious who you would pick but at the time there could have been an argument made that Harden wouldn't have been worth the money he was demanding.
    You can't blame Presti for Durant leaving, because Durant had been tampered with all season and was already determined to leave to go play with his buddies in Golden State. I'm convinced that nothing Presti could have done would have changed that.

    With any given GM, you can take certain moves out of context and make them look dreadful. On the whole though, Presti arrived at a Thunder team that won 20 games that year, and took them to perennial title contenders and conference finalists for years. Dell has so far failed at making us a consistent playoffs team at all. So personally yes, I think Presti has earned accolades and Dell has yet to prove himself to be on that level.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

  23. #23
    3 ball dominant superstars on the same team. I like our chances.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    You didn't answer my question.

    And you can justify a horrific move all you want. It doesn't make it not horrific.
    The question as to what Presti and the Thunder front office did between losing Harden and Getting PG13/Melo? Well they drafted Steven Adams, traded the 26th pick for Roberson, drafted Sabonis (mediocre move), signed Oladipo (decent move) etc etc. Nothing groundbreaking but decent enough. Miracles don't happen every single off season for any team.

    You can't consider moves out of context. It's important. Like I said, in retrospect looking back from 2017 it's easy to say Harden is better than Ibaka. It wasn't so easy to say that back when Harden was a sixth man demanding more money than your league leading shotblocker in the starting lineup.

    You have to judge GMs on their options. If Durant leaving was because Presti had decided to let him walk, then he'd be to blame, but you can't tell me a single thing he could have done that was likely to make Durant stay. You can't blame someone for events outside of their control.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The question as to what Presti and the Thunder front office did between losing Harden and Getting PG13/Melo? Well they drafted Steven Adams, traded the 26th pick for Roberson, drafted Sabonis (mediocre move), signed Oladipo (decent move) etc etc. Nothing groundbreaking but decent enough. Miracles don't happen every single off season for any team.

    You can't consider moves out of context. It's important. Like I said, in retrospect looking back from 2017 it's easy to say Harden is better than Ibaka. It wasn't so easy to say that back when Harden was a sixth man demanding more money than your league leading shotblocker in the starting lineup.

    You have to judge GMs on their options. If Durant leaving was because Presti had decided to let him walk, then he'd be to blame, but you can't tell me a single thing he could have done that was likely to make Durant stay. You can't blame someone for events outside of their control.
    I understand what he's done in the remote past and the reputation he built as a result of that. My issue is posters using the recent deals to reinforce that reputation when he's frankly been a below average GM since making one of the worst moves in recent memory (up until the George move). His status as this god GM was salvaged by sheer luck in timing and circumstances, as was Dell's. Not because he's some prodigal executive.

    Also, I never blamed him for Durant, so stop bringing that up. It's a strawman argument.

    Lastly, I can blame him for moving Harden. You can rationalize it all you want. It still ended up a catastrophe and it still happened under his watch. He had the ability to choose between Ibaka and Harden and he chose incorrectly. Harden is now a top 5 player in the league and Ibaka is on his third team in three years and grossly overpaid (just as Kanter and Oladipo were).
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 09-23-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •