Pelicans Report

Thread: Open Practice Sept. 30

Open Practice Sept. 30

http://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/new...-camp-schedule

Training camp will begin on Tuesday, September 26. Practices will be held at the Ochsner Sports Performance Center in Metairie, La. from Sept. 26-Oct. 2. The team will hold a second practice session on select days. Media availability will take place following the team’s first practice only. Training camp practices at the Ochsner Sports Performance Center are closed to the general public.

The Pelicans will host a free open practice for the general public at the Smoothie King Center on Saturday, September 30 beginning at 11:00 a.m.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    If I can be off on that day, I'm going, baby!

Looks like for the first time will need tickets. They're free.

Did anyone else go to the open practice? It was a good time.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

AD looked spectacular. Really improved on his handles. Jrue also looked very good and more assertive.

Ian Clark got hot. Should be a nice tandem with Crawford. Diallo with the big game winner and also looked real good.

Offense looks very Golden Stish with all the cutting. Like that too.

But u just never know until they play someone else.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    AD looked spectacular. Really improved on his handles. Jrue also looked very good and more assertive.

Ian Clark got hot. Should be a nice tandem with Crawford. Diallo with the big game winner and also looked real good.

Offense looks very Golden Stish with all the cutting. Like that too.

But u just never know until they play someone else.
    Very NICE turnout & Gentry was smart to pick sides to cheer for the red or gray . Jrue looks comfortable & healthy. Rondo already coaching young ones. He was schooling Chieck on sidelines over missed assignment. E'Twaun gets an And 1 while kicking Boogie in the kohonas. AD leaves w/ sore shoulder. no Dante or Lexi . Pels may have some diamonds in the rough at the end of the bench. Athletic. But I go back to "really good crowd"

Yeah this was the first time both sides of lower bowl had fans. Usually only one side. They were probably surprised by the turnout.

Just watched some of the highlights looked like a really fun scrimmage wish I could of seen it live.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

They are estimating the turnout to be around 5000, it was much bigger than last year's. One reporter from the Advocate (BR one I think) was saying somewhere like 6500.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I couldn’t get off from work. So I need them deets. Who stood out? Was Cousins still slow but not winded? Was Rondo dealing like hand to hand crack sales?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I couldn’t get off from work. So I need them deets. Who stood out? Was Cousins still slow but not winded? Was Rondo dealing like hand to hand crack sales?
    I didn't catch all of it, but from what I saw Cousins definitely benefited from the weight loss. He wasn't what I'd call fast but his stamina is definitely better and he seemed more agile. And yes, Rondo still had a weird sixth sense for finding cutters everywhere.

Two real surprises for me: Jrue looked confident, happy, and relaxed. His shot was falling pretty much anywhere he took it, for what I saw. AD even hit a couple of threes. Mostly promising stuff.

Darius looked like his european tape. More aggressive and knocked down a couple 3s.

For all the talk of the team lacking shooters, AD, Cousins, Jrue, Clark, Crawford, and Miller all hit multiple 3s. Dante didn't play.

Perry Jones even got one in.

Rondo missed all his tho.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Darius looked like his european tape. More aggressive and knocked down a couple 3s.

For all the talk of the team lacking shooters, AD, Cousins, Jrue, Clark, Crawford, and Miller all hit multiple 3s. Dante didn't play.

Perry Jones even got one in.

Rondo missed all his tho.
    It's odd that nobody is mentioning that AD missed the last game and a half due to a shoulder injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    It's odd that nobody is mentioning that AD missed the last game and a half due to a shoulder injury.
    I thought Gentry came out and said he was fine it and was precautionary. I mean we know what AD is going to give us. Why take the chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludiculous View Post
    I thought Gentry came out and said he was fine it and was precautionary. I mean we know what AD is going to give us. Why take the chance?

I'd be worried if he starts sitting out pre-season games. Most seasons I would say whatever, because we have been so beat up going into seasons, but given the shortened training camp, shortened pre-season, and how little these guys have had together, even the ones that have been here a while, I think it is really important to get as much pre-regular season time on the court together as possible.

Of course, I am not suggesting do anything different than what the team has done. I just hope he remains healthy enough to not force that choice. We have to get out of the gate running.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I'd be worried if he starts sitting out pre-season games. Most seasons I would say whatever, because we have been so beat up going into seasons, but given the shortened training camp, shortened pre-season, and how little these guys have had together, even the ones that have been here a while, I think it is really important to get as much pre-regular season time on the court together as possible.

Of course, I am not suggesting do anything different than what the team has done. I just hope he remains healthy enough to not force that choice. We have to get out of the gate running.
    Yeah definitely. Pre-season games would be bad. But a team scrimmage for the fans and my superstar says he hurts his shoulder, I'll for sure rest him for the part that really counts the preseason game against opposing teams. And that's not to say that coaches don't take into account the scrimmage cause I'm sure they use every angle they can. I think the true barometer for how will guys work together is opposing teams so that's when Davis is most important.

Thread Information