Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cunningham signs

Cooke and Jones contracts don't count against the cap so why not just use those guys?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Cooke and Jones contracts don't count against the cap so why not just use those guys?
    I think it counts against the cap if they play a certain amount of NBA games. Their salaries also increase, but its still so low that it wont affect the lux tax.

Players can earn a maximum of approximately $275,000 per season, if maximum requirements are met. A player on a two-way contract can spend a maximum of 45 days with their NBA team. During their time in the NBA, players will earn 1/170 of the rookie minimum contract per day, regardless of previous NBA experience. The minimum a player can earn is $75,000 if they are not called up for a single day to their NBA club.

A player an NBA team wishes to sign via a two-way contract can receive $50,000 in training camp, a figure paid by the NBA G League and not a salary cap hit against the NBA club. This figure is also not in addition to their $75,000 salary in the G League as a two-way player. Any player who signs for more than $50,000 in training camp is not eligible for that team’s NBA G League affiliate.

The important note here is the $275,000 figure is not guaranteed. That figure can be earned if said player spends the entire allocated amount of days (45) with their NBA team. The inaugural year of two-way contracts (2017–18 season) will be important in setting the tone for how teams handle the salary figure. Many agents with opt for some sort of “handshake agreement” that their player will indeed be brought up for the maximum amount of days to ensure full earning potential. NBA teams who do not follow this line of thought risk losing out on future two-way players altogether.

What happens if a player outperforms their two-way contract?

Any two-way contract can be converted to a standard (NBA minimum based on years of experience) contract at the team’s option. In lieu of converting a two-way contract to a standard NBA contract, teams and players can negotiate and sign a standard NBA contract. If a new contract is signed, the two-way contract becomes null and void.
    so two way contract won't count against cap unless player outperform
    or unless he won't spent more than 45 days in the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    so two way contract won't count against cap unless player outperform
    or unless he won't spent more than 45 days in the NBA
    So if needed we could use Jalen Jones or Cooke.
    Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

we can use them up to 45 days without costs
    if they will exceed expectations - their contract will become minimum contract - at it will count against tax (when guaranteed)

as to Webster - unless he is unguaranteed, we may cut him anytime. with no hit. but probably he might have little guarantee

AD is automatic with his jumper pretty much all the way out to the 3 pt line or just inside

That's good enough for a stretch 4 for me

Doesn't the 'stretch' part refer to stretching defences with shooting? He qualifies
    Not really. A stretch 4 in today's NBA lexicon are players like Ryan Anderson and of course Dirk. Draymond Green is another. Players that do the majority of their damage out on the wings, corners, or top of the key.

Anthony Davis shot 30% from 3 and more importantly, on only 1.8 attempts per game.

Anthony Davis shoots long 2s, but he is not a "stretch" 4.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Not really. A stretch 4 in today's NBA lexicon are players like Ryan Anderson and of course Dirk. Draymond Green is another. Players that do the majority of their damage out on the wings, corners, or top of the key.

Anthony Davis shot 30% from 3 and more importantly, on only 1.8 attempts per game.

Anthony Davis shoots long 2s, but he is not a "stretch" 4.
    I might pose this question to RealGM

First, the tax issue isn't just about this year but future years. The repeat tax offender charges are the reason we will avoid the tax at all costs this year. We already know assuming Cousins resigns that we will be an over the tax team from next year for the foreseeable future, so it extremely important to not be in the tax this year.

Right now Crawford's contract isn't guaranteed but you have to assume he will make the team and receive the minimum. I'd have to look at the exact numbers for a vet. minimum to see if we could even actually bring in another vet and avoid hitting the tax but we are darn close right now. Dante basically took 200k extra over the minimum but it cost us something like 800k extra in space. I don't blame him for getting his money but that hurt us cap wise.

As far as a stretch 4 goes, that's kind of irrelevant in regards to Davis. AD causes a team to need to double team him which is even better than just stretching the floor because it leaves a guy completely open somewhere. I couldn't imagine anyone ever saying they'd rather Ryan Anderson over AD on offense because AD "only" requires a double team but Anderson requires his 1 defender to take two extra steps forward.

Like pawel said, you only get them for 45 days, not 45 games, 45 days. You should think of their likely role as similar to the 10 day contract guys we have to get every year to fill in for all the injuries. That's where I see them getting some run, when injuries stack up and you don't have the roster space or money to bring anyone else in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    We already know assuming Cousins resigns that we will be an over the tax team from next year for the foreseeable future.
    I think there will likely be a No Tax mandate next year too. The Pels had a 94% attendance rate last year. It doesn't get much better than that, it was 98.7% the year after the 07-08 season when everyone was really excited about the team. Even with strong attendance last year the team still lost money before the revenue sharing. When you win you get less revenue sharing. When you pay taxes you go from receiver to payer, at least a $5-$10 million swing. I'm not sure the Pels go into money losing mode unless they are a top 4 seed that looks like they're on the way up. If all we see this year is a 6-8 seed, they'd have to really impress in the playoffs or recruit a serious superstar to go into the tax.

Agree TigerinATL.
    Pels must show that they can compete this season.
    To make paying tax possible.

So not this year - maybe next year.
    This is why we must have clear books.
    And no Asik and Ajinca next offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    I think there will likely be a No Tax mandate next year too. The Pels had a 94% attendance rate last year. It doesn't get much better than that, it was 98.7% the year after the 07-08 season when everyone was really excited about the team. Even with strong attendance last year the team still lost money before the revenue sharing. When you win you get less revenue sharing. When you pay taxes you go from receiver to payer, at least a $5-$10 million swing. I'm not sure the Pels go into money losing mode unless they are a top 4 seed that looks like they're on the way up. If all we see this year is a 6-8 seed, they'd have to really impress in the playoffs or recruit a serious superstar to go into the tax.
    Where are you having access to one specific team's books?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Where are you having access to one specific team's books?
    Brian Windhorst and Zach Lowe came out with an article yesterday about team finances. The Pels were on the list of losing money before revenue sharing but not on the list of losing money after revenue sharing. He also pointed out the Spurs as a small market team with net losses that lost revenue sharing money due to their team's success. The overall tone was this is the same old Large Market vs. Small Market not agreeing on the split issue. But they seemed to imply that that specific aspect about successful small market teams not getting enough shared revenue could be brought up at the board of governor's meeting. If they changed the revenue sharing so winning didn't hurt you, that would be pretty significant for whether the Pels could afford to be a tax team or not.

Here's the article http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...eason-now-what

How is Cousins not a serious superstar? We aren't going to just let him walk if he's willing to sign here.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    He gambled and lost. If anything he should fire his agent for overestimating his value. If he shows out this year he might earn a better deal. He needs to keep shooting the 3 well.

In any case, I'm glad we were able to get him back. He is a solid option at that 3/4 spot.
    Wait! wah? That's the one area he needs to improve most. I cringe when I see him open for 3.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    Wait! wah? That's the one area he needs to improve most. I cringe when I see him open for 3.
    He shot 39% from three last season

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Yeah. He's worked hard and become a solid 3pt shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    How is Cousins not a serious superstar? We aren't going to just let him walk if he's willing to sign here.
    That's not what I was saying. They'll cut corners other places to resign Cousins without going into the tax. The mention of it taking a serious superstar to go into the tax would be someone in addition to AD/DC.

Quote Originally Posted by stevemadden504 View Post
    He shot 39% from three last season
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Yeah. He's worked hard and become a solid 3pt shooter.
    I think he was our best 3 point shooter percentage wise last year. But it was only one year so it could be an anomaly. Like I said, hopefully he continues to shoot it well.

That's not what I was saying. They'll cut corners other places to resign Cousins without going into the tax. The mention of it taking a serious superstar to go into the tax would be someone in addition to AD/DC.
    We do not have enough assets to clear enough cap to be able to resign Cousins without going into the tax.

I don't think there's any scenarios where you can have an AD type, Jrue type, Cousins, and role players and not be in the tax. Even the staunchest of Dell haters have to admit that much.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    I don't think there's any scenarios where you can have an AD type, Jrue type, Cousins, and role players and not be in the tax. Even the staunchest of Dell haters have to admit that much.
    I think those 3 and Hill put us over the cap alone

I think those 3 and Hill put us over the cap alone
    The tax line is higher than the cap. But we still might be over the tax line with AD, and Cousins on max deals plus Jrue

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    The tax line is higher than the cap. But we still might be over the tax line with AD, and Cousins on max deals plus Jrue
    Yeah I know but it just shows how little money there is

Yeah I know but it just shows how little money there is
    Yeah, not much

Thread Information