Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cunningham signs

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I'm so curious to so how this rotation is going to work out. It seems as if we have a roster full of 6'4 combo guards and stretch 4's with a single PG without any defined roles.
    The only stretch 4 I see oon this roster is the guy that just signed. AD shoots 3s but certainly not at the clip of a 3.5. And his role is certainly defined. So is Crawford, Jrue, Clark, and Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The only stretch 4 I see oon this roster is the guy that just signed. AD shoots 3s but certainly not at the clip of a 3.5. And his role is certainly defined. So is Crawford, Jrue, Clark, and Moore.
    I think it's safe to say Allen will be the defensive stopper. He can't really do anything else.

Finally some decent news.

Can't go wrong with a guy with the same last name as Richie's.

Envision this lineup.

Rondo
    Jrue
    Allen/Hill when he gets back
    Cunningham/Hill
    AD

Super defense small ball lineup!

Scoring might be an issue but we should be able to slow down just about anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Envision this lineup.

Rondo
    Jrue
    Allen/Hill when he gets back
    Cunningham/Hill
    AD

Super defense small ball lineup!

Scoring might be an issue but we should be able to slow down just about anyone.
    Rondo/Clark/Allen/Cunningham/AD
    Jrue/Crawford/Miller/Diallo/Cousins
    Rondo/Jrue/Cunningham/AD/Cousins

Wild cards: Moore, Ajinca

We can really run these 3 lineups for 95% of the game. That's no slack for opponents. Pressure all game.

AD and Boogie can both play the 4 and has the ability to stretch the floor. Crawford, Jrue, Clark, and Moore are all combo guards.

I'm just saying I'm curious how all this gels when you have basically a bunch of same type of players.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    AD and Boogie can both play the 4 and has the ability to stretch the floor. Crawford, Jrue, Clark, and Moore are all combo guards.

I'm just saying I'm curious how all this gels when you have basically a bunch of same type of players.
    The NBA in general has been trending towards mostly positionless basketball recently. Look at Golden State for example: KD, Draymond, and Klay are all lengthy, athletic wings, so even though KD and Draymond spend minutes at SF, PF, and C, it doesn't matter. Klay is a SG, who is the same height as Kawhi Leonard who is a certified SF.

In short, it doesn't really matter what the team calls you, if you're a lengthy versatile wing player, you're valuable no matter how many of you are on one team.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Rondo/Clark/Allen/Cunningham/AD
    Jrue/Crawford/Miller/Diallo/Cousins
    Rondo/Jrue/Cunningham/AD/Cousins

Wild cards: Moore, Ajinca

We can really run these 3 lineups for 95% of the game. That's no slack for opponents. Pressure all game.
    I think Jrue and AD should always play together and Rondo with Cousins. I really like the depth but would love to move one of SG and C for either another PG or SF. I could see moving Moore/Crawford and Ajinca for something decent.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I think Jrue and AD should always play together and Rondo with Cousins. I really like the depth but would love to move one of SG and C for either another PG or SF. I could see moving Moore/Crawford and Ajinca for something decent.
    I thought about that too. I feel like since Rondo is the superior P&R guard and AD is the superior P&R big they would fit better together. Jrue is the superior scoring guard and Cousins is the superior passing big so they would fit better together.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    I thought about that too. I feel like since Rondo is the superior P&R guard and AD is the superior P&R big they would fit better together. Jrue is the superior scoring guard and Cousins is the superior passing big so they would fit better together.
    That's just too logical for me. Lol

AD is automatic with his jumper pretty much all the way out to the 3 pt line or just inside

That's good enough for a stretch 4 for me

Doesn't the 'stretch' part refer to stretching defences with shooting? He qualifies

Dante should automatically slide into the starting SF role on day one of training camp.

TBH I don't care about $$ lost by Dante.
    2.3 millions is still a lot of money AND it is not that Pels declined his option...

What matters is that we are below tax line by little more than the money he lost declining player option.

This is all what matters.
    We still have some room left, not much but at least some.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    TBH I don't care about $$ lost by Dante.
    2.3 millions is still a lot of money AND it is not that Pels declined his option...

What matters is that we are below tax line by little more than the money he lost declining player option.

This is all what matters.
    We still have some room left, not much but at least some.
    Don't we have 1 spot left with Hill's injury?

Probably Webster or Jones get a minimum to play

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Don't we have 1 spot left with Hill's injury?

Probably Webster or Jones get a minimum to play
    I think we have a full roster now. Jones is on a two way I believe, so we can activate and play him in 40 (not sure of the exact number) games or so.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I think we have a full roster now. Jones is on a two way I believe, so we can activate and play him in 40 (not sure of the exact number) games or so.
    Yeah it's full but I thought we could replace Hill while he is injured (but we don't get anymore cap space)

No. We have full 15+2 roster.

WE might be granted injured player exception when a player is injured long term.
    But his $$$ count against the cap. And we dont have a room for vets minimum.

Barring a trade this roster consist of 14 guaranteed and one (Grits) not guaranteed players. Right now Crawford is guaranteed for 250k (on November 11th he will be guaranteed at 500k).
    Jones III signed camp deal, Webster is supposed to do it. Both are not guaranteed. We have still a room for one camp ivitee.

14+1+2two way+2 non guaranteed camp deals=19 players

on the opening night we must have 15 players (at most) plus 2 two way players (at most)

and we are around 970k below tax line - Benson won't agree to pay tax this year.

we won't be granted an injury player exception before the start of the season (maybe during the season)

Dell needs to live some room for potential 10-day players and other additional cost.

So don't expect a move there.
    Unless we have a trade lined (f.e. using a pick).
    Cutting Grits (small chance) clears some space - but 250k stays in books.

13 active players plus Cooke and Jones should be enough

cut Asik and Ajinca and we have 13

cut Asik and Ajinca and we have 13
    You know that's not happening

of course I know

my expectations are that we are going into the season with those 15+2 players
    with two-three camp deals

if f.e. Webster will show something - we may make some small moves

problem is that apart from Grits it is hard to find a movable piece.

Unless you are dumping someone with a pick.

If we know that Hill is going to miss until early Feb at best why wouldn't we be able to apply for the injury exception or play Jones until Hill returns?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    If we know that Hill is going to miss until early Feb at best why wouldn't we be able to apply for the injury exception or play Jones until Hill returns?
    when we will now the timetable of his return we can apply for it. but you have to remember about the tax. Benson won't agree for any tax this year. Injury exception counts against the tax.

but remember that Dell loves Hill. Has just signed Miller and Allen. Have Jones on two-way. Webster on camp deal.
    There is no reason to apply for injury exception now. It is better to go into the camp and check what we have in house.
    Formally it might be aseier to get injury exception for Asik.

when we will now the timetable of his return we can apply for it. but you have to remember about the tax. Benson won't agree for any tax this year. Injury exception counts against the tax.

but remember that Dell loves Hill. Has just signed Miller and Allen. Have Jones on two-way. Webster on camp deal.
    There is no reason to apply for injury exception now. It is better to go into the camp and check what we have in house.
    Formally it might be aseier to get injury exception for Asik.
    How does the tax come into it?
    If they apply for the injury exception for either Hill or Asik, by paying someone like J.Jones or even Webster or P.Jones isn't going to put us into the tax.

Thread Information