.
Pelicans Report
 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 51 to 66 of 66

Thread: Martell Webster

  1. #51
    Somebody should remind Dante that when he was falsely accused of assault - Minnesota didn't stand by him.

    http://www.foxsports.com/north/story...us-2014-012315

  2. #52
    Basketball Guru GuardianAngel25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    5,777
    To me Webster is not some super exciting signing but it is a very solid one. He's a vet and if he can get back to where he just once was we have a solid rotational player. Smart guy and solid defender who could provide some 3 point shooting. Another very low risk signing that can turn out a solid reward.

    I like the idea of Perry Jones as a low risk signing. At times he showed some serious flashes of potential. No telling how much better he has gotten along with his maturity being improved. Not saying he is Whiteside but it took him a few years before he was able to mature and improve his game enough to reach his potential. Perry Jones was able to learn from a few guys as well one being a Durant that could have helped his game. IMO having Davis and Cousins on the floor should help a lot of guys. Jones is 6"11 and just entering his prime at 25. If things start to clique for this kid he could be an absolute steal for us. Jones has the skill set and ability to be a perfect fit here as a SF that can slide over to PF playing next to AD/Cousins. He adds a lot of versatility. Just like Crawford it's very possible Jones takes that next step. Jones could turn out to be nothing but with all the guys left in very happy we are taking a shot on him.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 09-20-2017 at 05:41 PM.

  3. #53
    RIP BDJ AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    5,537
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    To me Webster is not some super exciting signing but it is a very solid one. He's a vet and if he can get back to where he just once was we have a solid rotational player. Smart guy and solid defender who could provide some 3 point shooting. Another very low risk signing that can turn out a solid reward.

    I like the idea of Perry Jones as a low risk signing. At times he showed some serious flashes of potential. No telling how much better he has gotten along with his maturity being improved. Not saying he is Whiteside but it took him a few years before he was able to mature and improve his game enough to reach his potential. Perry Jones was able to learn from a few guys as well one being a Durant that could have helped his game. IMO having Davis and Cousins on the floor should help a lot of guys. Jones is 6"11 and just entering his prime at 25. If things start to clique for this kid he could be an absolute steal for us. Jones has the skill set and ability to be a perfect fit here as a SF that can slide over to PF playing next to AD/Cousins. He adds a lot of versatility. Just like Crawford it's very possible Jones takes that next step. Jones could turn out to be nothing but with all the guys left in very happy we are taking a shot on him.
    You do realise that neither PJ III or Webster will make the roster without getting rid of two roster spots?

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    You do realise that neither PJ III or Webster will make the roster without getting rid of two roster spots?
    Hill being on the long term injury list should open up a spot

  5. #55
    The Franchise pawel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    2,066
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Hill being on the long term injury list should open up a spot
    Webster has not signed officially yet.

    To be granted additional roster spot you will need to have exception granted.
    To be granted this exception player needs to be ruled out for the season.

    So forget about it now.

  6. #56
    The Franchise pawel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    2,066
    Per CBA FAQ

    DISABLED PLAYER EXCEPTION -- This exception allows a team which is over the cap to replace a disabled player who will be out for the remainder of that season (it can also be granted in the event of a player's death). This exception is granted by the league, based on an application from the team and a determination by an NBA-designated physician or Fitness to Play panel (see question number 62) that the player is substantially more likely than not to be unable to play through the following June 15.

    If this exception is granted, the team can acquire one player via free agent signing, trade or waiver claim, to replace the disabled player:

    The team may sign a free agent for one season only, for 50% of the disabled player's salary or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, whichever is less.
    The team may trade for a player in the last season of his contract only (including any option years)2, who is making no more than 50% plus $100,000 of the disabled player's salary, or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception plus $100,000, whichever is less.
    The team may claim a player on waivers who is in the last season of his contract only (including any option years), who is making no more than 50% of the disabled player's salary, or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, whichever is less.

    Teams can apply for this exception from July 1 through January 15, and cannot apply after January 15. Once granted, the exception expires when a player is acquired, when the disabled player is traded or returns to the team, or on March 10 of that season, whichever comes first. This exception is granted on a season-by-season basis -- if the player will also be out the following season, the team needs to apply for this exception again the following season.

    This exception only can be granted to the team for which the player was playing when his injury or illness was known, or reasonably should have become known. A team cannot trade for an injured player and subsequently apply for a Disabled Player exception for that player.

    If a team's application for a disabled player exception is denied, the team must wait 90 days before submitting another request related to the same player, and then only for a new injury or aggravation of the same injury. Whether the application was approved or denied, the team can apply again (including for the same injury) the following season.

    If the disabled player comes back sooner than expected he may be activated immediately, and the replacement player is not affected.

    Don't confuse the Disabled Player exception with the salary cap relief teams sometimes receive after losing a player to a career-ending injury or death (see question number 61). The Disabled Player exception allows a team to acquire a replacement player. The salary cap relief removes a contract from the team's books.

    Also see question number 26 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Webster has not signed officially yet.

    To be granted additional roster spot you will need to have exception granted.
    To be granted this exception player needs to be ruled out for the season.

    So forget about it now.
    How did we sign so many guys last year one after the other?

  8. #58
    The Franchise pawel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    2,066
    probably it was kind of additional NBA help for team with big injury problems. probably granted additionally
    TBH cannot remember

  9. #59

    Martell Webster

    What you are thinking of is the NBA Hardship Exception granted after 4 players are injured for at least 3 games. The key difference is any player signed with the hardship exception is only temporary - he can stay on the team until one of the injured players is able to return.

    http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...her_injur.html

    Here is a Nola article from last year about it.

  10. #60
    Basketball Guru GuardianAngel25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    5,777
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    You do realise that neither PJ III or Webster will make the roster without getting rid of two roster spots?
    I think Jones could be worth taking a roster spot. We need a SF badly and he has the potential to be exactly what we need there. He can also play PF at times giving us a versatile player adding value to his roster spot. We could make a move as well that possibly frees up a spot. I don't see Webster being worth it but Jones absolutely imo needs to be on this team.

  11. #61
    The Franchise pawel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    2,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    What you are thinking of is the NBA Hardship Exception granted after 4 players are injured for at least 3 games. The key difference is any player signed with the hardship exception is only temporary - he can stay on the team until one of the injured players is able to return.

    http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...her_injur.html

    Here is a Nola article from last year about it.
    good catch

    probably we dont wanna have 4 guys injured...
    now even with Asik we don't have 4. also from those injured for now only Hill matters

  12. #62

  13. #63
    Anybody know Emeka Okafor signed with the 76ers? Yes, THAT Emeka that played here.

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Anybody know Emeka Okafor signed with the 76ers? Yes, THAT Emeka that played here.
    Seriously? Lol wow

    Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

  15. #65
    Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    OKC
    Posts
    3,263
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Anybody know Emeka Okafor signed with the 76ers? Yes, THAT Emeka that played here.
    Wow. They REALLY hate Jahlil Okafor.

  16. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Anybody know Emeka Okafor signed with the 76ers? Yes, THAT Emeka that played here.
    Six years of pilates must have helped him get over his neck issues.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •