.
Pelicans Report
 
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Does anyone know when camp starts?

  1. #1

    Does anyone know when camp starts?

    I can't find a date online for this year. Has to be any day with the first preseason game on October 3rd.

  2. #2
    So they learn all defenses and offenses in the space of 2 weeks? Wow

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    So they learn all defenses and offenses in the space of 2 weeks? Wow
    That's the cost of spacing out the season so the delicate little modern players don't have to endure as many brutal back to backs while flying late at night in their private jets to stay in 5 star hotels.

    I would expect it to mean that the first few weeks of new seasons will be a little ragged, especially for teams with new systems, players and coaches.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    So they learn all defenses and offenses in the space of 2 weeks? Wow
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    That's the cost of spacing out the season so the delicate little modern players don't have to endure as many brutal back to backs while flying late at night in their private jets to stay in 5 star hotels.

    I would expect it to mean that the first few weeks of new seasons will be a little ragged, especially for teams with new systems, players and coaches.
    That's why the two way contracts are handy since you can develop guys in your system. But yeah, super short. I'm glad the guys have been working out together over the summer.

  5. #5
    The Kings are opening training camp on the 26th and their first preseason game is Oct 2.

    http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sac...172927341.html

  6. #6
    The Franchise pawel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    2,060
    Kush mentioned on twitter that media day is on Sept 25th.
    It is common leaguewide date.
    One day later should start training camp.

    But no official Pels info yet

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Kush mentioned on twitter that media day is on Sept 25th.
    It is common leaguewide date.
    One day later should start training camp.

    But no official Pels info yet
    Thanks

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    The Kings are opening training camp on the 26th and their first preseason game is Oct 2.

    http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sac...172927341.html
    Training camp goes for 6 days?

    Uhhh

  9. #9
    It's just like the NFL...training camp is for the entire month of October which includes preseason games. They lowered the amount of games this year from 6 to 4. So, I think it's perfect. The only way to get in game shape is play games.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by BallHawk View Post
    It's just like the NFL...training camp is for the entire month of October which includes preseason games. They lowered the amount of games this year from 6 to 4. So, I think it's perfect. The only way to get in game shape is play games.
    Well "training camp" where they have two-a-days last for about a week. Then it's just a regular practice schedule for the rest of the year.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    That's the cost of spacing out the season so the delicate little modern players don't have to endure as many brutal back to backs while flying late at night in their private jets to stay in 5 star hotels.

    I would expect it to mean that the first few weeks of new seasons will be a little ragged, especially for teams with new systems, players and coaches.
    More then anything I would argue the main reason for the shortened offseason has primarily to do with greedy owners not wanting to lessen the schedule because of revenue reasons. Wear and tear on players bodies over a ridiculously and unnecessarily long season(and post-season) is a fair complaint in any era.

    Directly to your point about modern basketball players being snowflakes, they are also engaged in intense basketball play much earlier in their lives then their forefathers. AAU starting in 3rd and 4th grade. Extended seasons and more intensive training if you are seen as a prospect(including the likely understated use of drugs at a young developing age). Most of these kids come into the league with much more miles on their body then players from an earlier time. Then you throw in the world and olympic teams that basically make intense basketball a year round affair for many of them.

    I don't think anyone is going to feel sorry for them getting millions to play a game we all love, but its just to say I can understand the complaint and concern about their bodies. Especially in the face of new research showing how much fatigue contributes to the probability of injury. As the Pelicans have shown, injured rosters benefit no one, especially the frustrated fans that want to see the best product an organization has available.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    More then anything I would argue the main reason for the shortened offseason has primarily to do with greedy owners not wanting to lessen the schedule because of revenue reasons. Wear and tear on players bodies over a ridiculously and unnecessarily long season(and post-season) is a fair complaint in any era.

    Directly to your point about modern basketball players being snowflakes, they are also engaged in intense basketball play much earlier in their lives then their forefathers. AAU starting in 3rd and 4th grade. Extended seasons and more intensive training if you are seen as a prospect(including the likely understated use of drugs at a young developing age). Most of these kids come into the league with much more miles on their body then players from an earlier time. Then you throw in the world and olympic teams that basically make intense basketball a year round affair for many of them.

    I don't think anyone is going to feel sorry for them getting millions to play a game we all love, but its just to say I can understand the complaint and concern about their bodies. Especially in the face of new research showing how much fatigue contributes to the probability of injury. As the Pelicans have shown, injured rosters benefit no one, especially the frustrated fans that want to see the best product an organization has available.
    Never agreed with you more.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

    @Jabberwalker

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    More then anything I would argue the main reason for the shortened offseason has primarily to do with greedy owners not wanting to lessen the schedule because of revenue reasons. Wear and tear on players bodies over a ridiculously and unnecessarily long season(and post-season) is a fair complaint in any era.

    Directly to your point about modern basketball players being snowflakes, they are also engaged in intense basketball play much earlier in their lives then their forefathers. AAU starting in 3rd and 4th grade. Extended seasons and more intensive training if you are seen as a prospect(including the likely understated use of drugs at a young developing age). Most of these kids come into the league with much more miles on their body then players from an earlier time. Then you throw in the world and olympic teams that basically make intense basketball a year round affair for many of them.

    I don't think anyone is going to feel sorry for them getting millions to play a game we all love, but its just to say I can understand the complaint and concern about their bodies. Especially in the face of new research showing how much fatigue contributes to the probability of injury. As the Pelicans have shown, injured rosters benefit no one, especially the frustrated fans that want to see the best product an organization has available.

    Pfft!

    Yeah, "greedy owners". Because I'm sure the players would be all in for dropping their salaries by 1/3 to have 1/3 less games too. It's funny how getting paid $200,000 a game to play a game of basketball most people play for free can be inspiring.

    Not to mention of course that the wusses are complaining about playing nearly the exact number of games (few more playoff games for those that make it that far) that players have played for the past 50 years. And those former players were playing them for a tiny fraction of the money the current players make, and with far fewer luxuries, private jets, and million dollar doctors and trainers. The entitlement generation indeed.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Pfft!

    Yeah, "greedy owners". Because I'm sure the players would be all in for dropping their salaries by 1/3 to have 1/3 less games too. It's funny how getting paid $200,000 a game to play a game of basketball most people play for free can be inspiring.

    Not to mention of course that the wusses are complaining about playing nearly the exact number of games (few more playoff games for those that make it that far) that players have played for the past 50 years. And those former players were playing them for a tiny fraction of the money the current players make, and with far fewer luxuries, private jets, and million dollar doctors and trainers. The entitlement generation indeed.
    If you want to go down the "how much players make" problem, sure, it's disgusting how much they make. At the same time, it's disgusting how much owners have to pay them. It's disgusting how tax payers foot the bill for stadiums or residents are given imanent domain forceful evictions to build new stadiums every decade or two. Money in entertainment is a huge issue but that doesn't make the players greedy for accepting or fighting for what they're worth to the billionaire owners who profit from them. As far as the number of games, health is so important. How much money would you have to make to tear your ACL and be the butt of jokes and called a failure? Lance Stephenson was cut because the Pels couldn't wait and ended his contract after he got hurt. What if the injury was worse and he never got an NBA contract again? That's why Matt Barnes called out the Pels. An athlete's body is their livelihood. It's cushy and self-centered but how should they know better?
    What if your life was far different because from the age of 10 you were being scouted, told you were the best by everyone around you, surrounded by yes men who only wanted to take advantage of you because you are athletic? You'd probably be a self centered 'snow flake' and fight against having to play 100+ games a year as sports science shows you how rest is the most important part of recovery.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Pfft!

    Yeah, "greedy owners". Because I'm sure the players would be all in for dropping their salaries by 1/3 to have 1/3 less games too. It's funny how getting paid $200,000 a game to play a game of basketball most people play for free can be inspiring.
    Players get paid what they are worth. The brand of basketball they play is on another planet from what you do at the gym for free. Nobody is lining up to watch you jump 2 inches off the ground and brick layups. If you are going to have wrath for players, then you need to have equal or more wrath for owners (franchisees).

    And don't compare what players make today directly with what players made in the past. Pick up a book on inflation and learn how that works. Past players were far from the poor house.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Players get paid what they are worth. The brand of basketball they play is on another planet from what you do at the gym for free. Nobody is lining up to watch you jump 2 inches off the ground and brick layups. If you are going to have wrath for players, then you need to have equal or more wrath for owners (franchisees).

    And don't compare what players make today directly with what players made in the past. Pick up a book on inflation and learn how that works. Past players were far from the poor house.
    Allow me to educate you a bit on this one:



    and that's 1985. A few decades before that and rank and file guys were literally working second jobs during the offseason.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Pfft!

    Yeah, "greedy owners". Because I'm sure the players would be all in for dropping their salaries by 1/3 to have 1/3 less games too. It's funny how getting paid $200,000 a game to play a game of basketball most people play for free can be inspiring.

    Not to mention of course that the wusses are complaining about playing nearly the exact number of games (few more playoff games for those that make it that far) that players have played for the past 50 years. And those former players were playing them for a tiny fraction of the money the current players make, and with far fewer luxuries, private jets, and million dollar doctors and trainers. The entitlement generation indeed.
    I don't think the discussion on shortening the season is centered around dropping 1/3rd of games though. So that seems sort of like a false choice.

    Seems like you are more interested in talking points then a discussion though. Since you conveniently ignored every single point I made about context, refuse to share causation, and went back to the well of the same rant you just made about the caricature of snowflake millennials.

    But frankly for me this is not a players vs owner thing except to understand causation. I am a fan and I want the best product possible. For me, 82 games is saturation and its effect on the health of the players, diminishes the quality of the product.

    The reason they are paid less is because they had less bargaining power and the league and their individual franchises were not as collectively wealthy. That should probably be kinda obvious. As to inspiration, are you really confused as to why people that manage to achieve the ultimate status in a highly competitive sport, which often takes enormous dedication, determination, and skill development is something people find inspiring? Especially younger people? I can at least see the idol worship much more justifiable then, say, the latest celebrity.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Allow me to educate you a bit on this one:



    and that's 1985. A few decades before that and rank and file guys were literally working second jobs during the offseason.
    NBA also has been making much more money since Jordan came in the league in 1985.

  19. #19
    Has Dante picked a team yet?



    Just hurry up and make a decision.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •