Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tony Allen is a Pelican

Average height for a SG is 6'5". Jrue measured 6'4.25". Wingspan 6'8", Jrue has 6'7". And standing reach of 8'5", Jrue is 8'4.25". I wouldn't call him undersized for a SG at all.

Average PG is 6'1", Rondo is 6'1". Average wingspan is 6'5", Rondo is 7'! Average standing reach is 8'1", no data on Rondo's but he is clearly well above the average.

That's why I said other than Allen who is undersized? Jrue is within 1" or less of every relevant measurement for a SG and Rondo blows the PG measurements out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Wingspan my friend.....wingspan!
    That's refered to as "length" not size.

Average PG is 6'2.75

How many SFs in the NBA are we actually worried will toast Moore or Miller. Maybe 4 or 5? On the other hand, theres not a single team that can match up against two dominant bigs. So whereas we'll be scrambling against 6 teams to find someone to defend a few guys who are already basically unguardable for anyone not named Kawhi Leonard, all 29 teams are trying to figure out how to guard our bigs. Just need to somehow put it all together on offense and make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    How many SFs in the NBA are we actually worried will toast Moore or Miller. Maybe 4 or 5? On the other hand, theres not a single team that can match up against two dominant bigs. So whereas we'll be scrambling against 6 teams to find someone to defend a few guys who are already basically unguardable for anyone not named Kawhi Leonard, all 29 teams are trying to figure out how to guard our bigs. Just need to somehow put it all together on offense and make it work.

Amen and well said.

The 23 other teams have the same SF problem too. We'll be fine.

People moaning about Rondo not being able to score.... he is perfect here...a high level assist pass first PG to make easy bucket for AD and Boogie. The last thing we needed was another ball dominant scoring PG.

Complimentary players for our bigs is what we need to be successful and I think we're pretty close.
    '' We are here!!''

Most people just don't realize obvious stuff until it's already happened. Let's not undervalue what a true point guard brings with two of the best bigs in the game.

I'm just waiting for the season to start so these depressing people can just stfu and enjoy.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I think the defensive take to building this team is interesting. Its almost as if you're trying to bring all these high scorers down to your scoring level.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post
    I think the defensive take to building this team is interesting. Its almost as if you're trying to bring all these high scorers down to your scoring level.
    The other approach would be to try to outgun them, can anyone seriously expect to straight up outscore the Warriors at their game? The way this team is currently built may be the only way to knock off GS. Defense is absolutely the way to go if we want to have a chance. If you look at scoring averages of individual players we should be able to put up around 100 per game easily. If we can slow the pace and play great defense we will be in every game.

I can't wait for this season to start!

Quote Originally Posted by Imnos 2 View Post

I mean it seems clear that is what we are going to try and do.

Not sure it is by choice or design though. Seems like the only path forward given our current constraints(self-created).

Frankly its strange how different this offseason would of felt if we had just managed to sign Nick Young. Not that I am enamored with him but he seemed like what the real strategy was for the offseason. Which was getting another shooter that can take advantage of the mismatches Davis and Cousins can create on the floor together. And to fill the need to find depth at the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    If we can slow the pace and play great defense we will be in every game.

I can't wait for this season to start!
    #montyball

Quote Originally Posted by SmontySwilliams View Post
    #montyball
    For what its worth I thought Minty deserved another year. I think he could have done well with our current roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    So, Kushner said we'd be signing someone else soon in the coming days, that Cunningham is still in play and that we'd be likely signing someone who can guard both forward spots. Using deductive reasoning of whose left and fits that description, I would assume we are talking to some combination of Dante, Matt Barnes, Derrick Williams, and maybe Shabazz Muhammad who played some minor small ball in Minny. Assuming we go for a vet, everybody else feels more guard than forward
    Now that Shabazz has signed with the Wolves, and T. Allen signed up, have to think Dante will sign with some team by the end of the week. Hopefully it's the Pels, but we'll see. Would be nice to have the full roster all set. If not Dante, Derrick Williams could be a good option. Don't think Matt Barnes would be a good fit now, we got our tough guy vet in Tony Allen.

And then I guess after this next signing we'll have to assume that Ajinca and Asik will both be on the roster going into the season. Ajinca as the primary back-up C isn't ideal, but he's pretty serviceable and he's under contract.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    For what its worth I thought Minty deserved another year. I think he could have done well with our current roster.
    This was kind of always the issue with Monty. I think everyone agreed that he could do well, but I don't think anyone really saw that next gear that it takes to win in the playoffs. Say what you will about Gentry now, but at the time of the hiring it seemed he was capable of reaching that gear. His issue always seems that, if his teams underperform, they severely underperform; whereas Monty teams always seemed to be consistently mediocre. Shooters shoot. Dell shot. We'll see if Gentry can put it together with the talent he has this year and if not we move on.

Guys. We actually made it a page and a half before the thread devolved into silly arguments over semantics and posturing. And even then there were still some informative and on topic posts in between.

The positive future of this franchise is starting to make us happy friends and family! Squishy hugs for all!

This was kind of always the issue with Monty. I think everyone agreed that he could do well, but I don't think anyone really saw that next gear that it takes to win in the playoffs. Say what you will about Gentry now, but at the time of the hiring it seemed he was capable of reaching that gear. His issue always seems that, if his teams underperform, they severely underperform; whereas Monty teams always seemed to be consistently mediocre. Shooters shoot. Dell shot. We'll see if Gentry can put it together with the talent he has this year and if not we move on.
    Don't get me wrong, i was excited when we brought Gentry on. I thought he could take us to another level and we get to find out this year if he can.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU-Sousaphone View Post
    Guys. We actually made it a page and a half before the thread devolved into silly arguments over semantics and posturing. And even then there were still some informative and on topic posts in between.

The positive future of this franchise is starting to make us happy friends and family! Squishy hugs for all!
    Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic.

Back to Tony Allen, this dude is going to be awesome! I just have a soft spot for guys that can alter a game without scoring. There aren't many of them but Allen has been one of the best over the last decade. Is the blender the new grindhouse? It's like we copied what Memphis has been doing but with the two best bigs in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by England_Hornet View Post
    Amen and well said.

The 23 other teams have the same SF problem too. We'll be fine.

People moaning about Rondo not being able to score.... he is perfect here...a high level assist pass first PG to make easy bucket for AD and Boogie. The last thing we needed was another ball dominant scoring PG.

Complimentary players for our bigs is what we need to be successful and I think we're pretty close.
    Never realized you're from Southampton. Are you a Saints fan?
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Holds Nothing Back Contributor shanetrain93's Avatar
    Can we get Anthony Morrow again?

I've been checking spotrac to see what TA's deal is and as of yet there is no record of his signing. Could it be this is still up in the air?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    I've been checking spotrac to see what TA's deal is and as of yet there is no record of his signing. Could it be this is still up in the air?
    This is as concrete as I can find so far

Allen, an All-Defensive second team selection last season, will be expected to fill at least the "wing stopper" role vacated by the injured Solomon Hill. A minimum contract for Allen clocks in around $2.3 million but will count just $1.5 million (the two year minimum) against the Pelicans in terms of the salary and hard cap. The difference is thanks to a CBA rule guarding against veterans being priced out of the league.
    https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2017/9...-one-year-deal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

good signing! now I would go after shabazz as a shooter and the team is done.

Shabazz is returning to Minny

If Dante doesn't come back, I can see maybe going after Matt Barnes. He plays the 3 but can be a small-ball 4 much like Dante, but he is 37. Barnes has had some bad words for the Pelicans, in the past, saying they did Lance Stevenson wrong when he got injured then was waved. So maybe not popular with the front office.

Quote Originally Posted by R Pelly View Post
    If Dante doesn't come back, I can see maybe going after Matt Barnes. He plays the 3 but can be a small-ball 4 much like Dante, but he is 37. Barnes has had some bad words for the Pelicans, in the past, saying they did Lance Stevenson wrong when he got injured then was waved. So maybe not popular with the front office.
    Friend of Cuz's, and along with Rondo and Allen would completely transform the Pels into a tough, mean scrappy veteran bunch. And BTW be the FOURTH guy with championship experience (Clark, Rondo, Allen) added in one offseason.

On the other hand given that he tarnished Cuz's rep by dragging him along on one of his late night legal misadventures, so I could easily see the Pels being wary. Cuz has apparently been an active part of the recruiting this summer though, and its hard to imagine him not putting in a word.

totally agree, its not the old school ball where players would get on the block on the mismatch. Doesn't happen that often anymore. Im ok with a smaller SF who can play perimeter D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Friend of Cuz's, and along with Rondo and Allen would completely transform the Pels into a tough, mean scrappy veteran bunch. And BTW be the FOURTH guy with championship experience (Clark, Rondo, Allen) added in one offseason.

On the other hand given that he tarnished Cuz's rep by dragging him along on one of his late night legal misadventures, so I could easily see the Pels being wary. Cuz has apparently been an active part of the recruiting this summer though, and its hard to imagine him not putting in a word.
    I think Barnes would be a great fit, on paper. Like you said: Another scrappy vet and a bunch of tough guys. I think if you add Barnes, pelicans may win a NBA MMA tournament with Cousins, Allen, Rondo. Heck even Jordan Crawford has been known to talk. Said something to Melo about his wife during a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information